MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 09-05-2015, 12:36 PM   #1
pbfoot

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
2006 Kawasaki ZG1000

Carbs off Rebuild

Can anyone recommed a shop to clean the carbs on my 2006 Kawasaki Concours? Bike is a cali model. Carbs are out of bike. Was running fine Thursday night, but bike started missing below 4000 when I went to Reserve. Went to drain the bowls this morning and no fuel came out. Took a sample from the petcock and found rust particles in the fuel. Petcock is new. Cleaned tank out in July and again today. Not much rust came out today but removed a lot of rust in July. There was rust in the carbs when I flipped them upside down today. I would do it myself but would rather let a professional do their magic. Plan is to use an inline filter after I get the carbs back. I am the second owner, bike has 19k. Looks like the carbs have been off before I owned it. Caps for the pilot screws are missing. I also have t - fitting between carbs 1&2 and 3&4 that was not hooked up to anything. See photo.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	carb1.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	63.4 KB
ID:	88282   Click image for larger version

Name:	Carb Blues.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	93.6 KB
ID:	88283  
pbfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
carbs help aznconquerer How To's and Q & A's 13 07-12-2012 01:18 AM
can anyone help with carbs? BikeLover General Discussion (Moto Related) 6 05-07-2011 05:36 AM
help with carbs! BikeLover How To's and Q & A's 5 02-24-2011 07:03 PM
Cleaning Carbs Dreamer!! General Discussion (Moto Related) 23 07-22-2008 09:11 PM
Need Some help with carbs. Killing Hours General Discussion (Moto Related) 1 06-21-2007 02:22 PM
Advertisement
Old 09-05-2015, 01:33 PM   #2
Kacfiz
The Kac

Experience: 2 years

Bike(s):
1990 Kawasaki Ninja ZX6D (Sold)
2013 Suzuki SFV650 Gladius

Ahh, was wondering why we didnt see you at renos. Hope you get her back up soon.
Old 09-05-2015, 01:37 PM   #3
pbfoot

Bike(s):
2006 Kawasaki ZG1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kacfiz View Post
Ahh, was wondering why we didnt see you at renos. Hope you get her back up soon.
Thanks. I know a guy in Florida who specailizes in Concours carbs. Was hoping for something close.
Old 09-05-2015, 02:27 PM   #4
40acres

Bike(s):
2008 zx-6r
2011 kx250f
2006 zx-6r (R.I.P.)
2004 RM 125 (sold)

A carb is a carb, regardless of what bike it's on. Just drop it off at Motorcycles Unlimited if you REALLY need someone to do the work for you.
40acres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2015, 03:10 PM   #5
tankmonkey

Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
sv650s (race)
ninja 250r (race)
crf450x motard (rip)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbfoot View Post
I also have t - fitting between carbs 1&2 and 3&4 that was not hooked up to anything. See photo.
Those T-fittings look like the float bowl vents. Keeps the bowls at atmospheric pressure. Not normally hooked up to anything (some bikes have a bit of hose on them, but normally doesn't go anywhere).

Motorcycles Unlimited on 1960 does good work.
CMRA #398

Last edited by tankmonkey; 09-05-2015 at 03:13 PM.
tankmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2015, 05:18 PM   #6
pbfoot

Bike(s):
2006 Kawasaki ZG1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by tankmonkey View Post
Those T-fittings look like the float bowl vents. Keeps the bowls at atmospheric pressure. Not normally hooked up to anything (some bikes have a bit of hose on them, but normally doesn't go anywhere).

Thanks.
Old 09-05-2015, 08:38 PM   #7
mx6er

Feedback Rating: (2)

Bike(s):
TL1KR
street legal xr50

Member Garage

If you have gotten as far as to take the carbs off the bike. Then you can just do a simple cleaning yourself! plenty of information on the webs on how to do it.
mx6er is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked this post:
Old 09-05-2015, 09:13 PM   #8
pbfoot

Bike(s):
2006 Kawasaki ZG1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by mx6er View Post
If you have gotten as far as to take the carbs off the bike. Then you can just do a simple cleaning yourself! plenty of information on the webs on how to do it.
I guess that is what I will do tomorrow. Need to buy a new scewdriver. The float bowl screws are super tight. Don't want to strip the heads.
Old 09-05-2015, 10:23 PM   #9
mx6er

Feedback Rating: (2)

Bike(s):
TL1KR
street legal xr50

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbfoot View Post
I guess that is what I will do tomorrow. Need to buy a new scewdriver. The float bowl screws are super tight. Don't want to strip the heads.
screwdriver use-age tip: push and turn 65%push 35% turn. Also, depending on design and space allocation. You probably may be able to grab the float bowl screw head with a pair of GOOD pliers ie: knipex or vice grips and break the screws loose. this method is especially useful if it is a phillips head and they have been deformed (slightly stripped).
mx6er is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked this post:
Old 09-06-2015, 12:23 PM   #10
bumblebee
Yeah I'm flippin' YOU off

Feedback Rating: (3)

Bike(s):
'74 Suzuki GT380
'82 XS650 StreetTracker
'10 Ducati Streetfighter
'83 Yamaha Seca 900

They will not be Phillips. They look like Phillips but they're not.
They are called, JIS screws. Get the right screwdriver and you'll be less likely to strip them.

THAT'S the reason bike screws seem to strip so easy.

Read this. ...

http://www.webbikeworld.com/motorcyc...-screwdrivers/
Bevo- "I lack skillz"

Last edited by bumblebee; 09-06-2015 at 12:27 PM.
bumblebee is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked this post:
Old 09-06-2015, 01:49 PM   #11
pbfoot

Bike(s):
2006 Kawasaki ZG1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by bumblebee View Post
They are called, JIS screws. Get the right screwdriver and you'll be less likely to strip them.

Read this. ...

Cool. That makes perfect sense. Thanks for the information.
Old 09-06-2015, 01:58 PM   #12
pbfoot

Bike(s):
2006 Kawasaki ZG1000

Quote:

Read this. ...

Can I grind the radius off the webs of a Phillips screwdriver?
Old 09-06-2015, 03:19 PM   #13
pbfoot

Bike(s):
2006 Kawasaki ZG1000

Quote:

Read this. ...

Looks like the tip on a JIS screwdriver is at a 57 degree angle as well as having no radius at the web. I ordered a set off of amazon. I can wait until Wednesday. Thanks again.
Old 09-06-2015, 03:28 PM   #14
gots2no
Steve

Bike(s):
'94 Kawasaki ZX6
'78 Yamaha XS750E (sold)
'82 Yamaha Seca 750 (sold)
'82 Yamaha XT200 (sold)

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by tankmonkey View Post

On a Kawi with ram induction, they go to the small ram tube to pressurize the float bowls. Otherwise, the air pressure from the main ram induction pushes the fuel away from the mains and leans it out. Forgot to connect mine back up one day and it felt like a bad fuel pump. Re-wired the pump, tested, re-wired, tested, before I noticed the tube not connected.

.. and also have an extra fuel pump that I ordered on eBay before I found the problem.
gots2no is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2015, 03:35 PM   #15
gots2no
Steve

Bike(s):
'94 Kawasaki ZX6
'78 Yamaha XS750E (sold)
'82 Yamaha Seca 750 (sold)
'82 Yamaha XT200 (sold)

Member Garage

Here's a photo of mine
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Ram air connection.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	115.9 KB
ID:	88310  
gots2no is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2015, 08:36 PM   #16
c10

Feedback Rating: (1)

Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
Hayabusa Gen II
Yamaha T Max

Make sure you get a Pro . Ask for pictures via smart phone . Most shops now dont know what a carb is . Last customer was told he needed new carbs for his yamaha V Star 1100 . He did not need new carbs . These are ZRX carb just like yours . Make sure they split the bank / install all new O Rings .

20150906 203103 zpshstcttzk
20150906 203138 zpsscborfk4
20150906 203144 zpsabasxpdr
c10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2015, 09:26 AM   #17
pbfoot

Bike(s):
2006 Kawasaki ZG1000

Quote:

Read this. ...

Used my new JIS screwdrivers today. Bowl screws came right off except for the two that I stripped. I turned them into flat heads with my Dremel and got them off as well. Thanks so much for the tip.
Old 09-12-2015, 11:34 AM   #18
signpimp

Feedback Rating: (1)

Bike(s):
2002 klx110

Send a message via MSN to signpimp
I'm a little late to the thread, but here's another tip!!

Before I start removing the screws, I put the screwdriver in the slot and tap the handle with a hammer. This helps the screwdriver get a good bite on the screw head, especially if they are a little messed up from a previous attempt/repair. If it's chewed up really bad, I'll even tap the head of the screw directly with a hammer and it flattens out the screw head a little. Stick the screwdriver back on and hit it with the hammer on the head of the screwdriver. It pushes the screwdriver in nicely and reshapes it to have a good grip again. I've also had very good luck using impact screwdrivers. Like this one http://www.harborfreight.com/impact-...ase-37530.html

Sounds like an easy clean. No need to take the carbs off the rails, you will just end up killing yourself trying to re-sync the carbs without the right tools. If it was running fine before, it's just some debris clogging the jets. Clean everything up and blow out orifices with compressed air. If you remove the needle screws, be sure and put them back the way you found them. In other words, if it was 2 turns out, make sure it goes back 2 turns out. If you remove the floats and float needles, make sure they go back in the same carb with the same parts, otherwise the heights might come out different and you will need to adjust them. Or, if you have the right tool, just measure them all and put back to recommended height. Don't get any cleaner on the diaphragms or the rubber could expand/contract and not work correctly either. Other than that, it should be pretty straight forward to clean them.

Good luck getting back on the road!!
signpimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2015, 12:37 PM   #19
pbfoot

Bike(s):
2006 Kawasaki ZG1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by signpimp View Post
I'm a little late to the thread, but here's another tip!!

Before I start removing the screws, I put the screwdriver in the slot and tap the handle with a hammer. This helps the screwdriver get a good bite on the screw head, especially if they are a little messed up from a previous attempt/repair. If it's chewed up really bad, I'll even tap the head of the screw directly with a hammer and it flattens out the screw head a little. Stick the screwdriver back on and hit it with the hammer on the head of the screwdriver. It pushes the screwdriver in nicely and reshapes it to have a good grip again. I've also had very good luck using impact screwdrivers. Like this one http://www.harborfreight.com/impact-...ase-37530.html

Sounds like an easy clean. No need to take the carbs off the rails, you will just end up killing yourself trying to re-sync the carbs without the right tools. If it was running fine before, it's just some debris clogging the jets. Clean everything up and blow out orifices with compressed air. If you remove the needle screws, be sure and put them back the way you found them. In other words, if it was 2 turns out, make sure it goes back 2 turns out. If you remove the floats and float needles, make sure they go back in the same carb with the same parts, otherwise the heights might come out different and you will need to adjust them. Or, if you have the right tool, just measure them all and put back to recommended height. Don't get any cleaner on the diaphragms or the rubber could expand/contract and not work correctly either. Other than that, it should be pretty straight forward to clean them.

Good luck getting back on the road!!
Thanks for the reply.
Old 09-12-2015, 06:05 PM   #20
pbfoot

Bike(s):
2006 Kawasaki ZG1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by c10 View Post
Make sure you get a Pro . Ask for pictures via smart phone . Most shops now dont know what a carb is . Last customer was told he needed new carbs for his yamaha V Star 1100 . He did not need new carbs . These are ZRX carb just like yours . Make sure they split the bank / install all new O Rings .

20150906 203103 zpshstcttzk
20150906 203138 zpsscborfk4
20150906 203144 zpsabasxpdr
Carbs are cleaned. Bike runs great. Thanks for all of the help.
Liked this post:

Advertisement