MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > News & Media > Motorcycle News & Media > Industry News
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 09-05-2015, 12:02 AM   #1
NewsBot

Feedback Rating: (0)

Guy Martin Medical Update Following Dundrod 150 Crash

ulster grand prix thursday races 023?itokG5fxeLvm Guy Martin crashed out of the lead during the Dundrod 150 Sperbike race on August 7, breaking multiple bones including ribs and vertebrae. One month later, he reports that he's already been back at work for some time.

Less than a month ago, Guy Martin crashed out of the Dundrod 150 Superbike race, his bike going on to collide with a tree and him ending up on the ground for more time than you'd like to see a guy on the ground. Initial reports from race organizers suggested that Martin's injuries were "not serious," but you knew from watching video footage of the crash (if you haven't seen the crash yet, you can watch it here) that the organizers' definition of "not serious" was probably a bit different than yours.

A recent update from Guy Martin confirms that, yes, it's actually a lot different.

In fact, Martin broke multiple bones in the crash and underwent a lengthy surgery to bolt his five broken vertebrae together, stabilize his spine, and plate his right hand. Martin also confirms that he doesn't remember anything about the crash after hitting his head at roughly 130 mph. Or "headbutting the ground," as he said in his update.

In the same message, Martin goes on to mention that he's already been back at work for some time, and spent no more than a week at home recovering. Seriously, the guy broke multiple vertebrae, ribs, and metacarpals, plus cracked his sternum, and only took one or two handful of days off work.

Maybe when race organizers said "not serious," they meant by Guy Martin's standards?

You can read more about Martin's crash, the injuries he sustained, and his getting back to work in the report below, and see if "not serious" fits the bill.

Message from Guy:

Iíve had my head down for a few weeks, because I didnít want the world knowing I spannered myself, but it turns out the world already knew. I also wanted to make sure that anything you heard was straight from the horseís mouth.

Iíve had over 100 cards wishing me well. I really appreciate them, I read them all and I think theyíre mega. So thanks for them.

I donít remember anything about the crash after headbutting the ground, but the Dainese and AGV stuff I was racing in was brilliant. The leathers were cut off me, but there werenít many scuffs on them. I headbutted the ground at 130mph, then skidded into a dirt field and catapulted off a few things. The impact I hit the ground with was massive. I was knocked out, but itís a credit to that helmet that I didnít suffer any damage other than a badly bloodshot eye. There are no rubbish helmets any more really, but I wouldnít have wanted to be wearing anything other than my AGV.

Iíve broken some vertebrae, but Iíve got to say the Dainese back protector did its job. It has a honeycomb aluminium core that was crushed by the impact, which is whatís supposed to happen, and itís making funny noise if you flex it, but I crashed on Thursday night, I was operated on Friday afternoon and walking Saturday morning. I was in the shed the following Thursday. That back protector genuinely saved my life.

I might have come around at the trackside, because the marshals told people I was spouting the usual gibberish. I properly woke up in hospital. Then it was all the usual questions, Where are you sore? Does this hurt? I was in Belfast Royal and Iíve never been more impressed by a hospital than I was by that place, all the staff were great. I broke five vertebrae, but they bolted six together, from T4 to T10, because two are unstable, meaning thereís a chance they could move and damage my spinal column. They had to rod my spine because I broke my sternum too. Normally the front will hold the back together or the back will hold the front, but I had broken both front and back. My sternum is cracked straight down the middle, but thatís only cartilage so they donít do anything to try repair it. I broke five ribs and two metacarpals in right hand, too, and my handís been plated.

Iíve been back at work a while, but Iím struggling with everything. Sharon, my other-half, thought I was an idiot for trying to go back to work so soon, but Iíd spent nearly a week at home, and I had to do something. Now she admits that me going to work has moved me on loads, mentally and physically. Thereís no better physio than working on trucks and I know when Iím doing too much, Iím not planning to do anything that puts the recovery back.

The surgeon had to move my shoulder blade muscles to get the metalwork in, then fasten them all on again. Thatís whatís causing the most bother, the muscle not the broken bones. A lot of my work involves having my hands above my head, in the pit working on a truck above me, but Iím alright as long as I donít overdo it. If it gets too much Moody or Belty give me a hand and Iím getting stronger everyday.

Having a few days off work gave me time to think about what I want to do, and realise all things that have had to go on hold. I still want to race, but Iím not going to rush into deciding what or where Iím going to race.

So thanks again for all the best wishes and all the messages. Cheers.

Guy

More...
NewsBot is offline   Reply With Quote