MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > Technical > Performance and Modifications
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.


FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Reply
Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 09-02-2015, 09:41 PM   #1
Shrevej8
Senior Member
 
Shrevej8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Fulshear
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 169

Experience: 1 year

Bike(s):
2003 CBR600rr









Last effort for help

hey everyone so I have been having one of a time trying to fix my bike and get it up on the road again and have used all of my knowledge and others as well to solve my issue, so I'm here to ask for help I need an ecu for a 2003 cbr600rr that works, if I am able to verify that my ecu is working or not will determine my next step in fixing my problem or I am just going take it to a shop. I know most of you would like me to provide a detailed diagnosis of my step by step action in getting to this point but I'm tired of telling it and I'm super frustrated. If you are able to help I will pay for you fuel to come out to help me. I will only need the ecu for about 2 minutes then I'll be done and will do everything. If by chance I get some free time and have more energy I will post up a step by step for everyone to criticize me on for my lack of mechanical aptitude and novice approach to motorcycle mechanics, anyhow I have to close up shop here on my end at work, but I'll get on tomorrow some time to update this thread I have till October 2 to find an ecu before I cave and take it to Honda. Thanks for y'all's time and consideration and putting up with my rants.
Shrevej8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
presents: expense vs effort Chubby Racer Off Topic 29 12-15-2009 05:57 PM
SMOKED A HARLEY WITH LITTLE EFFORT thetank Cruisers Lounge 71 01-22-2009 02:07 PM
A for effort I guess issanni General Discussion (Moto Related) 27 03-26-2008 07:49 PM
1.9 trillion war effort witchdoctor575 Off Topic 63 11-15-2007 05:45 PM
Advertisement
Old 09-02-2015, 11:05 PM   #2
El Pachuco
Senior Member
 
El Pachuco's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: 30 miles south of downtown
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 836

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
Kawasaki ZRX 1200R









If you've already posted your blow by blow encounters with the problem, why not just post a link to it?
El Pachuco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2015, 03:23 AM   #3
BuckNut
Banned
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Earth
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 1,571

Experience: 1-3 months
Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
Huffy
None
None
None






User is banned

.
BuckNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2015, 10:46 AM   #4
Shrevej8
Senior Member
 
Shrevej8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Fulshear
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 169

Experience: 1 year

Bike(s):
2003 CBR600rr









Ok every one sorry for the lapse in time between my post I'm still on orders anyhow I'll be released on the 30th and plan to start on my bike again as soon as possible anyhow before I go and spend a lot of money at the shop I would like to have the bike coded Just I case it's something I can fix so if anyone has a code reader and would be willing to help I would be grateful also known melgamma a huge thanks for all the help and letting me store my bike at his house so thank you and to anyone who can help I will treat to lunch with me and melgamma
Shrevej8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2015, 12:13 PM   #5
Rgprestige15
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 181

Experience: 3 years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
gen 2 zx10r street
05 600rr track








Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrevej8 View Post
Ok every one sorry for the lapse in time between my post I'm still on orders anyhow I'll be released on the 30th and plan to start on my bike again as soon as possible anyhow before I go and spend a lot of money at the shop I would like to have the bike coded Just I case it's something I can fix so if anyone has a code reader and would be willing to help I would be grateful also known melgamma a huge thanks for all the help and letting me store my bike at his house so thank you and to anyone who can help I will treat to lunch with me and melgamma
Code reader

For my 05600rr - the number of times the MIL (malfunction indicator lamp) blinks is the indicator for which code/problem the bike is throwing. Put it in neutral, kickstand down, turn key On....Do not crank the bike. Code will flash IF you have a code..............


Posted in another forum for 2003/2004:
A long blink = "10"
A short blink = "1"
DNS = Engine does not start
EON = Engine operates normally

And I quote (i.e. don't shoot the messenger):

BLINKS : PROBLEM, SYMPTOMS
No blinks: ECM malfunction, DNS
No blinks: ECM power / ground circuit malfunction, DNS
No blinks: ECM output line malfunction, DNS
No blinks: MIL circuit malfunction, EON
Stays lit: Data link circuit malfunction, EON
1 blink: MAP sensor circuit malfunction, EON
2 blinks: MAP sensor performance problem, EON
7 blinks: ECT sensor circuit malfunction, Hard start at low temp
8 blinks: TP sensor circuit malfunction, Poor performance on quick throttle operation
9 blinks: IAT sensor circuit malfunction, EON
11 blinks: Vehicle speed sensor circuit malfunction, EON
12 blinks: No. 1 Primary injector malfunction, DNS
13 blinks: No. 2 Primary injector malfunction, DNS
14 blinks: No. 3 Primary injector malfunction, DNS
15 blinks: No. 4 Primary injector malfunction, DNS
16 blinks: No. 1 Secondary injector malfunction, DNS
17 blinks: No. 2 Secondary injector malfunction, DNS
18 blinks: Cam pulse generator, no signal, DNS
19 blinks: Ignition pulse generator, no signal, DNS
21 blinks: No. 1 O2 sensor circuit malfunction (California only) , EON
22 blinks: No. 2 O2 sensor circuit malfunction (California only), EON
23 blinks: No. 1 O2 sensor heater malfunction (California only), EON
24 blinks: No. 2 O2 sensor heater malfunction (California only), EON
33 blinks: E2-PROM in ECM malfunction, EON
48 blinks: No. 3 Secondary injector malfunction, DNS
49 blinks: No. 4 Secondary injector malfunction , DNS
Rgprestige15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2015, 12:23 PM   #6
Rgprestige15
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 181

Experience: 3 years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
gen 2 zx10r street
05 600rr track








I would focus on this - I'm going to assume your bike isn't starting since you want to try another ECU. There are several things you can check. Do you have a service manual? I wouldn't even bother attempting this without a service manual.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen shot 2015-09-16 at 12.16.21 PM.png
Views:	36
Size:	246.3 KB
ID:	88469  
Rgprestige15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2015, 01:16 PM   #7
Rgprestige15
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 181

Experience: 3 years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
gen 2 zx10r street
05 600rr track








Jeez sorry for the triple post...I forgot to mention - I have a hard copy of the 03/04 600rr service manual you can borrow. Another idea is to buy an ECU off ebay and test it. If it solves your problems - great. If it doesn't then you can just re-list on ebay and sell it.
Rgprestige15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2015, 03:55 PM   #8
Shrevej8
Senior Member
 
Shrevej8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Fulshear
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 169

Experience: 1 year

Bike(s):
2003 CBR600rr









I have a service manual and have exhausted all of the non-electrical issues to exclude testing the PGM, everything else like the wiring harness and all of the fuses and relays have been tested along with all of the individual injectors and so far everything is good which leads me to believe it is either PGM issue or some other issue I am not skilled enough to find
Shrevej8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2015, 03:56 PM   #9
Shrevej8
Senior Member
 
Shrevej8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Fulshear
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 169

Experience: 1 year

Bike(s):
2003 CBR600rr









Also I am aware of the coding system and how it works I am unable to get it to flash anything on my bike and I'm still unable to get my bike to start :/
Shrevej8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2015, 06:19 PM   #10
Rgprestige15
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 181

Experience: 3 years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
gen 2 zx10r street
05 600rr track








Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrevej8 View Post
Also I am aware of the coding system and how it works I am unable to get it to flash anything on my bike and I'm still unable to get my bike to start :/
There are prescribed troubleshooting steps in the service manual for when you do not see any blinking light indicating a trouble code - I glanced at mine quickly and it has detailed instructions for checking voltages across certain pins on the ECM connectors in order to rule out whether or not there is an open circuit somewhere. Have you done this?

It appears if you have a battery voltage reading and continuity (when putting a multimeter on the pins specified in the manual) then you're ECM is most likely fried.

If I were you and determined that there is voltage and no breaks in the circuits, then I'd just order an Ebay ECM (facebook group 600rr/f4i parts for sale has tons of parts for sale constantly) .

Another question. I know you've probably tried everything, but by chance have you had to clutch cover off lately or fiddled in there lately for any reason?
Rgprestige15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2015, 07:57 PM   #11
Shrevej8
Senior Member
 
Shrevej8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Fulshear
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 169

Experience: 1 year

Bike(s):
2003 CBR600rr









Quote:
Originally Posted by Rgprestige15 View Post
There are prescribed troubleshooting steps in the service manual for when you do not see any blinking light indicating a trouble code - I glanced at mine quickly and it has detailed instructions for checking voltages across certain pins on the ECM connectors in order to rule out whether or not there is an open circuit somewhere. Have you done this?



It appears if you have a battery voltage reading and continuity (when putting a multimeter on the pins specified in the manual) then you're ECM is most likely fried.

If I were you and determined that there is voltage and no breaks in the circuits, then I'd just order an Ebay ECM (facebook group 600rr/f4i parts for sale has tons of parts for sale constantly) .

Another question. I know you've probably tried everything, but by chance have you had to clutch cover off lately or fiddled in there lately for any reason?

I have not done this yet I have a Haynes manual but I may have over read this step in the fault sections I will order a new PGM if I need to but at $750 I need to be sure it's the issue before I buy one as I am low on cash and no I have not had the clutch cover off but I have had the stator off when I replaced it a while back but it worked well for about a month before the recent over hauls
Shrevej8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2015, 09:35 PM   #12
Rgprestige15
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 181

Experience: 3 years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
gen 2 zx10r street
05 600rr track








Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrevej8 View Post
I have not done this yet I have a Haynes manual but I may have over read this step in the fault sections I will order a new PGM if I need to but at $750 I need to be sure it's the issue before I buy one as I am low on cash and no I have not had the clutch cover off but I have had the stator off when I replaced it a while back but it worked well for about a month before the recent over hauls
I have the Honda manual. Not sure how they vary. Don't spend 750. Snag one off eBay. A used one should be a couple hundred max.
Rgprestige15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2015, 09:04 PM   #13
Shrevej8
Senior Member
 
Shrevej8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Fulshear
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 169

Experience: 1 year

Bike(s):
2003 CBR600rr









Quote:
Originally Posted by Rgprestige15 View Post
I have the Honda manual. Not sure how they vary. Don't spend 750. Snag one off eBay. A used one should be a couple hundred max.
I'm a tad apprehensive when buying a used PGM I just don't want to it fail right down the road like a couple 100 miles in but I may have found one on eBay I made an offer hopefully he takes it and I can see if it is the PGM if it's not the seller said he would refund excluding shipping
Shrevej8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2015, 06:33 AM   #14
BuckNut
Banned
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Earth
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 1,571

Experience: 1-3 months
Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
Huffy
None
None
None






User is banned

.
BuckNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Advertisement


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:32 AM.


MotoHouston.com is not responsible for the content posted by users.
Privacy Policy