Welcome back to us :/ Our hosts data center was down for the entire day.
MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 08-31-2015, 12:08 PM   #121
BuckNut
Banned

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 1-3 months
Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
Huffy
None
None
None

User is banned

BuckNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Moto cop runs down girl then shoots father atexanone Off Topic 42 08-15-2012 05:01 PM
Austin Cop Runs Red Light And Hits 78 Year Old Motorcyclist ormand General Discussion (Moto Related) 55 07-03-2010 12:38 PM
Federal Cop guilty of Road rage! He runs a biker down! ScooterTrash Off Topic 3 04-14-2006 08:46 PM
Advertisement
Old 08-31-2015, 12:09 PM   #122
BUSA II

Experience: 8 years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
2010 NLR Hayabusa
2001 Hayabusa Turbo
2005 GSX-R1000 Turbo

I just can never believe the logic offered up by the cop apologists that, "if a rider didn't do what he did, he wouldn't have been run over," or "if the rider had complied, the cop wouldn't have shot him."

It is NEVER the responsibility of an officer of the law to level punishment on the side of the road. I don't care what crime a suspect is accused of, it's the job of the courts to mete out justice, the decision doesn't rest with a cop - who's tasked only with enforcement of law. Street-level retribution doled out by state-sponsored agents under color of law is a hallmark of authoritarianism. A society where such actions get widespread support from the populace is called totalitarianism.

Know some other states that were run this way? Uganda under Amin. Argentina under Pinochet. Venezuela under Chavez. The framers of our constitution decided on a somewhat more libertarian path, lol, and included a fourth amendment to our bill of rights to prevent exactly this kind of stuff.

Play stupid games, win stupid prizes, right? Sure. But it's not the duty of the cop to pick the prize.

I'd ask, what then would be the difference between a cop running over a robbery suspect or running over a jay walker? One is a serious crime and one is not, you'd say? Right. Except that we properly decided to assign the courts the task of ascribing the level of seriousness to crime and dispense punishment accordingly.

Cops follow a use of force continuum in enforcing law. They can respond with only force equal to that required by the situation and no more.

I imagine all these apologists, who claim that if people didn't break laws that they wouldn't face brutality at the hands of some police, wouldn't be singing that tune if they - or their grandmother for instance - were shot by a cop for littering. Preposterous, you say? Littering is nothing like murder! You're right! And you know how we draw these distinctions? By mutual dependence and subscription to a system of courts at law.

If you want to live in a place like North Korea, where a police officer can be judge jury and executioner, then by all means keep spewing that rhetoric and looking the other way - until it happens to you.

Last edited by BUSA II; 08-31-2015 at 12:11 PM.
BUSA II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2015, 12:12 PM   #123
BuckNut
Banned

Bike(s):
Huffy
None
None
None

User is banned

Old 08-31-2015, 12:14 PM   #124
green600
HG Chairperson

Feedback Rating: (3)

Well said Curt.

yeah. I thought it'd be like riding with a condescending rossi.
green600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked this post:
Old 08-31-2015, 12:16 PM   #125
Nastynesto85
Richard Serdown

Experience: 9 years
Trackdays: 3

Bike(s):
Dual sport 14 ninja zx6r
06 cbr 600rr (sold)
05 cbr 600rr (sold)
04 Ducati ss800 (sold)
02 gsxr 600 (sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuckNut View Post
Speaking of, just had a nibble on the bait. But play time is over, time for turnover and some grub.
i know you were anxiously awaiting for me to say something , but thats all i have to say of the matter so carry on as you were

If it's got or tires , it's going to cost you
Nastynesto85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2015, 12:22 PM   #126
bumblebee
Yeah I'm flippin' YOU off

Bike(s):
'74 Suzuki GT380
'82 XS650 StreetTracker
'10 Ducati Streetfighter
'83 Yamaha Seca 900

Is it possible it was an accident?
Maybe the cop was moving over to block the bike from passing, which IS within his authority, and misjudged the closing speed. Maybe the bike got pinched between the car and the curb unintentionally.
Seems like, if it could be shown the cop did it on purpose, he'd be charged with reckless endangerment.

This is seldom as "cut and dried" as people want to make it.

It looks to me like BOTH were at fault. If the rider wasn't ignoring the flashing lights and obvious attempts at blocking the cop was doing, bad wouldn't have happened.
If the cop had been more careful he wouldn't have put the bike down. I'm sure he was watching his mirrors and trying to be aware of where everybody was around him, but he screwed up.

So when an accident happens involving mass indifference to the law and someone gets hurt, who is surprised?
Who is at fault?
The cop trying to reestablish order or the apparently out of control mob?
Bevo- "I lack skillz"
bumblebee is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked this post:
Old 08-31-2015, 12:27 PM   #127
Flip Flop
Ordained Minister

Experience: 1 year

Bike(s):
2006 SV650S(sold)(happy now?)
Toes Ducati Multistrada(what now buck?)

Quote:
You phunny and your assumptions will make you look STOOOOPID.
Uh...that was actually you
Flip Flop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2015, 12:28 PM   #128
Bevo
Hook 'em!

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
'12 CBR1000RR Red/Black
'14 CB1000R Matte Gray
'10 CBR1000RR (destroyed)
'09 CBR1000RR C-ABS (sold)
'09 CBR600RR C-ABS (sold)

Member Garage

Quote:
THE BuckNut is a social creature and likes to meet new people at Bike Nights. You should try it!
I ride my bikes. I didn't buy them so I could park them, sit around and flap my gums. If that's what you need, then you go be happy.
Bevo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2015, 12:31 PM   #129
BuckNut
Banned

Bike(s):
Huffy
None
None
None

User is banned

Old 08-31-2015, 12:32 PM   #130
Bevo
Hook 'em!

Bike(s):
'12 CBR1000RR Red/Black
'14 CB1000R Matte Gray

Member Garage

Quote:
Does Bevo drink beer?
Yup, but not when I ride
Old 08-31-2015, 12:33 PM   #131
BUSA II

Experience: 8 years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
2010 NLR Hayabusa
2001 Hayabusa Turbo
2005 GSX-R1000 Turbo

Curt?
BUSA II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2015, 12:34 PM   #132
BuckNut
Banned

Bike(s):
Huffy
None
None
None

User is banned

Old 08-31-2015, 12:36 PM   #133
Bevo
Hook 'em!

Bike(s):
'12 CBR1000RR Red/Black
'14 CB1000R Matte Gray

Member Garage

Quote:
Phew, almost ready to really not like you!
Dude, seriously. I don't give a rat's about folks I've never ridden with or met. You're still a noob here. Apparently you haven't figured that out.
Old 08-31-2015, 12:46 PM   #134
TMAX
Forever MODERATE

Feedback Rating: (1)

Trackdays: 4

Bike(s):
TMAX (Retired in California)
Xciting 500
XT 225
Duke 2
C14 & FZ6

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUSA II View Post
I just can never believe the logic offered up by the cop apologists that, "if a rider didn't do what he did, he wouldn't have been run over," or "if the rider had complied, the cop wouldn't have shot him."

It is NEVER the responsibility of an officer of the law to level punishment on the side of the road. I don't care what crime a suspect is accused of, it's the job of the courts to mete out justice, the decision doesn't rest with a cop - who's tasked only with enforcement of law. Street-level retribution doled out by state-sponsored agents under color of law is a hallmark of authoritarianism. A society where such actions get widespread support from the populace is called totalitarianism.

Know some other states that were run this way? Uganda under Amin. Argentina under Pinochet. Venezuela under Chavez. The framers of our constitution decided on a somewhat more libertarian path, lol, and included a fourth amendment to our bill of rights to prevent exactly this kind of stuff.

Play stupid games, win stupid prizes, right? Sure. But it's not the duty of the cop to pick the prize.

I'd ask, what then would be the difference between a cop running over a robbery suspect or running over a jay walker? One is a serious crime and one is not, you'd say? Right. Except that we properly decided to assign the courts the task of ascribing the level of seriousness to crime and dispense punishment accordingly.

Cops follow a use of force continuum in enforcing law. They can respond with only force equal to that required by the situation and no more.

I imagine all these apologists, who claim that if people didn't break laws that they wouldn't face brutality at the hands of some police, wouldn't be singing that tune if they - or their grandmother for instance - were shot by a cop for littering. Preposterous, you say? Littering is nothing like murder! You're right! And you know how we draw these distinctions? By mutual dependence and subscription to a system of courts at law.

If you want to live in a place like North Korea, where a police officer can be judge jury and executioner, then by all means keep spewing that rhetoric and looking the other way - until it happens to you.
nice explanation.

however those same apologists would say you ride a hayabusa and you dont know what you are talking about.

however those same apologists if the cop told them to take there pants off theyd do it. cause cop said so, and they probably like it that way anyway.

Last edited by TMAX; 08-31-2015 at 12:49 PM.
TMAX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2015, 12:47 PM   #135
TMAX
Forever MODERATE

Feedback Rating: (1)

Trackdays: 4

Bike(s):
TMAX (Retired in California)
Xciting 500
XT 225
Duke 2
C14 & FZ6

Quote:
Originally Posted by bumblebee View Post
Is it possible it was an accident?
Maybe the cop was moving over to block the bike from passing, which IS within his authority, and misjudged the closing speed. Maybe the bike got pinched between the car and the curb unintentionally.
Seems like, if it could be shown the cop did it on purpose, he'd be charged with reckless endangerment.

This is seldom as "cut and dried" as people want to make it.

It looks to me like BOTH were at fault. If the rider wasn't ignoring the flashing lights and obvious attempts at blocking the cop was doing, bad wouldn't have happened.
If the cop had been more careful he wouldn't have put the bike down. I'm sure he was watching his mirrors and trying to be aware of where everybody was around him, but he screwed up.

So when an accident happens involving mass indifference to the law and someone gets hurt, who is surprised?
Who is at fault?
The cop trying to reestablish order or the apparently out of control mob?
stop.

dumb again.
Old 08-31-2015, 12:55 PM   #136
Bevo
Hook 'em!

Bike(s):
'12 CBR1000RR Red/Black
'14 CB1000R Matte Gray

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMAX View Post
dumb again.

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
^^^ expert on that

Fify and you're welcome
Old 08-31-2015, 12:57 PM   #137
green600
HG Chairperson

Quote:
Curt?
Obviously I'm not talking about you. Unless your name is Curt.

yeah. I thought it'd be like riding with a condescending rossi.
green600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2015, 01:01 PM   #138
flipstyledsm22
Lets go fishing!

Feedback Rating: (2)

Bike(s):
1994 FLSTC Pro-Street Chopper
1964 Tote Gote
2003 GSXR600 - SOLD
2004 ZX6R - SOLD
1986 VFR750 - SOLD

Send a message via Yahoo to flipstyledsm22
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMAX View Post
Dumb. Stop. Dumb. Dumb. Dumb.

All I know to say is dumb.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gixxerbill View Post
I hate perma bans they are sooo...permanent.
flipstyledsm22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked this post:
Old 08-31-2015, 01:03 PM   #139
Bevo
Hook 'em!

Bike(s):
'12 CBR1000RR Red/Black
'14 CB1000R Matte Gray

Member Garage

Quote:

No one knows what's in the cop's mind except the cop. He may have been trying to block the rider and unintentionally struck him.
Old 08-31-2015, 01:06 PM   #140
Flip Flop
Ordained Minister

Experience: 1 year

Bike(s):
2006 SV650S(sold)(happy now?)
Toes Ducati Multistrada(what now buck?)

Quote:
Originally Posted by green600 View Post
Obviously I'm not talking about you. Unless your name is Curt.
Exactly. He didn't even quote you on the response. I don't get it
Flip Flop is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisement