Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back > News & Media > Houston - Local News > Sports
Forgot info?

Welcome to! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 08-25-2015, 12:00 PM   #1
Feedback Rating: (0)

Ryan Mallett on backup QB role: I thought I did enough to win starting job

Houston Texans QB Ryan Mallett met with media Tuesday after practice and was clearly upset and disappointed that Brian Hoyer was named the starting quarterback.

That's the reaction most people thought he would have after learning Monday morning that the job he's worked his whole career to get was given to someone else.

It was his first chance to meet with the media since he was told that Hoyer was the choice as the starting quarterback.

"I thought I did enough to win the job," Mallett said.

He cited his completion percentage, which was 83 percent (15-of-18) in two preseason games. That's the highest mark in the NFL, among quarterbacks with at least 15 attempts.

He didn't commit any turnovers, although neither did Hoyer.

"The longer camp went, the better I thought I played," Mallett said. "I wanted this job more than anything, but it is what it is. Obviously I'm disappointed and I don't agree with it. We played four quarterbacks last year.

Mallett added, "I'll do what I have to have to do to better the team. I'll just have to wait my turn."

Head coach Bill O'Brien met the media after Mallett. He said Mallett reacted as he would expect a guy in his situation would. He didn't want a guy who's doing "back springs" when he gets news he didn't want to hear.

"He came out to practice ready to go," O'Brien said. "He disagrees, but he's going to go to work and prepare like he's going to play, and that's what he's done."

malletttuesday jpg

NewsBot is offline   Reply With Quote