Welcome back to us :/ Our hosts data center was down for the entire day.
MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > News & Media > Houston - Local News > Sports
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 08-19-2015, 05:40 PM   #1
NewsBot

Feedback Rating: (0)

Watt unsure if he'll play against Denver

J.J. Watt did not play in the preseason opener and the same could be true again on Saturday night when the Texans host Peyton Manning and the Denver Broncos.

It's quite possible that he remains out of game action until the regular season opener on Sept. 13 against Kansas City.

Asked directly if he would play against Denver, Watt said, "“Whatever the coaching staff asks me to do, I’m going to do.”

He has seen little preseason action over the last three seasons and clearly with an all-Pro selection to go with each of those seasons, along with two defensive player of the year awards, he hasn't needed the preseason to stay sharp.

“I think I’ve played a total of maybe 20 or so plays in the last three preseasons combined," Watt said.

"(In) 2012, I didn’t play any. The next year, I played I think two plays total and then last year was, I don’t know, maybe a handful."

He was credited with 19 snaps in last year's preseason, 10 snaps in the opener, then nine more in the third preseason game.

"I really don’t – the way that we practice and the way that I try and attack every day, I don’t think it’s completely necessary," Watt said.

"But of course, like you said, I’d love to get out there and play the game anytime I can. If they’ll let me play, I’ll play. If they think it’s in the best interest of the team for me not to, I won’t. It really doesn’t matter to me.”

While on the sidelines during the preseason games, he said he tries to help the young players, which is easy for him since it wasn't that long ago that he was one of them.

"Last game, it was a little bit of settling them down after their first series because some of them came off really excited, which is great," he said. "They love the game. They love the adrenaline. Then you have to just kind of remind them, just take a deep breath, play the game you know how to play. Try to give whatever advice I can give.

"One thing we try to get across to the rookies, OB (Bill O’Brien) said it in the meeting, players are trying to tell them, don’t leave it all on the field in warmups because we all know what that feeling is like.

"You’re so excited for your first NFL game. You’re so excited to get on the field. You go out there in warmups and all of a sudden, you’re winning one-on-ones in warmups and you’re pass rushing your () off.

"Nobody cares about warm ups. Just calm down. But I was the exact same way. I know exactly what it’s like," Watt said.

He continued, "You just have to remind them, 'Just take a deep breath.' Let them enjoy the moment, but then also try and help them be the best they can be.”

2015 NFL salaries   JJ Watt

More...
NewsBot is offline   Reply With Quote