MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.


FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Reply
Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 08-14-2015, 07:33 PM   #121
ArkansasDave
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Beaumont
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 1,978

Experience: 2 years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
2010 CRF450R
2014 Honda Grom
2015 KTM 250xc







Quote:
Originally Posted by Sudo View Post
Ok, fine. 10 year olds...
I guess some of the students had a the maturity of a 10 yr old.
ArkansasDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Anybody here into Physics? Squoddybody Off Topic 26 06-25-2013 12:58 PM
Physics of Motocross Scorpio Dirtbikes, Mini's, ATV's..... 4 06-19-2012 08:09 AM
nerd rage bunxx Off Topic 1 10-28-2011 12:47 AM
Who else is a nerd? cedestech Off Topic 20 04-06-2010 03:19 AM
Explain Physics of This to Me specterunseen General Discussion (Moto Related) 31 04-11-2008 11:23 AM
Advertisement
Old 08-14-2015, 08:14 PM   #122
Repth
Keyboard Warrior
 
Repth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Austin
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 3,581

Experience: 2 years
Trackdays: 2

Bike(s):
'14 Street Triple R









Quote:
Originally Posted by Squoddybody View Post
Holy , you guys can argue.

Yes, the story was simplified, because not everybody who rides a motorcycle is a physicist, or even took physics in school. There is really something to be said about being able to explain a topic to your grandmother - it's a talent that not many possess. I possess this talent, and that's what made me such a great chemistry and geochem tutor - being able to make people understand a difficult subject.

Of course it's going to be misleading to those who know and understand physics, because so much is not accounted for, but really, who cares?

It was fun to read. It was well done. It was understandable to the masses (?).

Good for you for knowing too much and making sure everybody else knows that you know more than we thought you knew.
I actually think the opposite--I think it makes it much more confusing and less intuitive if you use the term "fake force", and that has nothing to do with my familiarity to the subject.
__________________
"I learned long ago never to wrestle with a pig. You end up getting dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."
- George Bernard Shaw
Repth is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2015, 08:53 PM   #123
Squoddybody
This is me.
 
Squoddybody's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Hillbilly
Feedback Rating: (5)
Posts: 22,185

Experience: 8 years
Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
Custom 2003 SV650






Quote:
Originally Posted by Repth View Post
I actually think the opposite--I think it makes it much more confusing and less intuitive if you use the term "fake force", and that has nothing to do with my familiarity to the subject.
But that's only because you already know physics. It's an article in a magazine read by motorcycle enthusiasts - not physicists. That's all I'm saying. You have to put yourself in somebody else's position when reading it - is it humorous, interesting, keeps my attention, etc. You are obviously NOT the average reader.

Would you believe that I am able to explain this abstract to you in small words that even your grandma will understand?

https://gsa.confex.com/gsa/2011RM/fi...act_187821.htm
__________________
THIS is me on my motorcycle. Any Questions?

follow me on IG - squoddybody
Squoddybody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2015, 08:54 PM   #124
Sudo
Banned
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 1,023












User is banned

.
Sudo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2015, 09:01 PM   #125
Bevo
Hook 'em!
 
Bevo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Houston-The South Loop
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 24,292

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 3

Bike(s):
'12 CBR1000RR Red/Black
'14 CB1000R Matte Gray
'10 CBR1000RR (destroyed)
'09 CBR1000RR C-ABS (sold)
'09 CBR600RR C-ABS (sold)

Member Garage





Quote:
Originally Posted by Sudo View Post
Theres always troll physics...
Troll 50da50 1439049
Honda20VF750F20Interceptor

You're welcome
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by bumblebee View Post
"I lack skillz"
Bevo is online now   Reply With Quote
Liked this post:
Old 08-14-2015, 09:17 PM   #126
maxgs
Guest
 
Posts: n/a







Member Garage





Quote:
Originally Posted by Squoddybody View Post
But that's only because you already know physics. It's an article in a magazine read by motorcycle enthusiasts - not physicists. That's all I'm saying. You have to put yourself in somebody else's position when reading it - is it humorous, interesting, keeps my attention, etc. You are obviously NOT the average reader.

Would you believe that I am able to explain this abstract to you in small words that even your grandma will understand?

https://gsa.confex.com/gsa/2011RM/fi...act_187821.htm
The Monotonous Unit (or Ostrong Unit) extends from south-central Czech Republic into Austria and consists predominantly of HT-LP cordierite-sillimanite paragneisses and metagraywackes that were intruded by granites of the Moldanubian batholith. Variably migmatized paragneisses are exposed in a quarry near Vanov, along the eastern margin of the batholith. Styles of migmatization exposed in the quarry walls range from stromatic migmatite at one end, grading into migmatite with thin localized melt segregation structures and diatexite, and culminating in a large (10 m x 10 m) melt segregation (“pluton”) at the other end. The pluton is compositionally similar to leucosomes elsewhere in the quarry. Initial eHf (zircon) values range from -5.4 to +1.5 in the pluton, confirming its derivation from an isotopically evolved crustal source. Zircons from the pluton show a complex range of concordant Pb/U ages. The youngest 206Pb /238U ages average ~330 Ma, which is similar to a Pb/U monazite age of ~329 Ma from a migmatite stope block within the adjacent Mrákotín granite (Žák et al., 2011). Inherited zircons yielded an older range of 206Pb/238U ages from ~464 to 503 Ma, the youngest of which provides an upper limit to the timing of sedimentation for the paragneiss protolith. A second group of inherited zircons yielded 206Pb/238U ages of ~559 to 600 Ma (Cadomian-age). Similar populations of inherited zircons have been observed in plutons elsewhere in the Moldanubian batholith, including the ~303 Ma Cerínek pluton, which intruded the Mrákotín granite; it has inherited zircons with concordant 206Pb/238U ages from ~439 to 493 Ma and one at ~582 Ma, and initial eHf values ranging from -4.1 to +7.6. The similarities between the Cerínek pluton and the melt segregation at Vanov point to a common metapelitic source (i.e., Monotonous Unit). These results suggest that zircon may be a useful tool for determining source regions of other Late Variscan plutons in the Moldanubian batholith.
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2015, 09:26 PM   #127
Squoddybody
This is me.
 
Squoddybody's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Hillbilly
Feedback Rating: (5)
Posts: 22,185

Experience: 8 years
Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
Custom 2003 SV650






Quote:
Originally Posted by maxgs View Post
The Monotonous Unit (or Ostrong Unit) extends from south-central Czech Republic into Austria and consists predominantly of HT-LP cordierite-sillimanite paragneisses and metagraywackes that were intruded by granites of the Moldanubian batholith. Variably migmatized paragneisses are exposed in a quarry near Vanov, along the eastern margin of the batholith. Styles of migmatization exposed in the quarry walls range from stromatic migmatite at one end, grading into migmatite with thin localized melt segregation structures and diatexite, and culminating in a large (10 m x 10 m) melt segregation (“pluton”) at the other end. The pluton is compositionally similar to leucosomes elsewhere in the quarry. Initial eHf (zircon) values range from -5.4 to +1.5 in the pluton, confirming its derivation from an isotopically evolved crustal source. Zircons from the pluton show a complex range of concordant Pb/U ages. The youngest 206Pb /238U ages average ~330 Ma, which is similar to a Pb/U monazite age of ~329 Ma from a migmatite stope block within the adjacent Mrákotín granite (Žák et al., 2011). Inherited zircons yielded an older range of 206Pb/238U ages from ~464 to 503 Ma, the youngest of which provides an upper limit to the timing of sedimentation for the paragneiss protolith. A second group of inherited zircons yielded 206Pb/238U ages of ~559 to 600 Ma (Cadomian-age). Similar populations of inherited zircons have been observed in plutons elsewhere in the Moldanubian batholith, including the ~303 Ma Cerínek pluton, which intruded the Mrákotín granite; it has inherited zircons with concordant 206Pb/238U ages from ~439 to 493 Ma and one at ~582 Ma, and initial eHf values ranging from -4.1 to +7.6. The similarities between the Cerínek pluton and the melt segregation at Vanov point to a common metapelitic source (i.e., Monotonous Unit). These results suggest that zircon may be a useful tool for determining source regions of other Late Variscan plutons in the Moldanubian batholith.
This is the abstract that was published for my presentation to the GSA. It's my thesis.

I also presented this thesis to the college for our student research conference - I had to make it understandable for everybody - even the English Lit majors.
__________________
THIS is me on my motorcycle. Any Questions?

follow me on IG - squoddybody

Last edited by Squoddybody; 08-14-2015 at 09:29 PM.
Squoddybody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2015, 09:36 PM   #128
Sudo
Banned
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 1,023












User is banned

.
Sudo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2015, 09:42 PM   #129
False
Senior Member
 
False's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 351












Quote:
Originally Posted by Sudo View Post
But is any of it "fake"?
Most geology is fake. They don't bother to learn crystal systems or point groups and just make up their own words. Possibly because geology is older than modern solid state chemistry and material science.
False is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked this post:
Old 08-14-2015, 09:45 PM   #130
Squoddybody
This is me.
 
Squoddybody's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Hillbilly
Feedback Rating: (5)
Posts: 22,185

Experience: 8 years
Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
Custom 2003 SV650






Quote:
Originally Posted by False View Post
Most geology is fake. They don't bother to learn crystal systems or point groups and just make up their own words. Possibly because geology is older than modern solid state chemistry and material science.
If you read it, you would see that it's not just geology; it's geochemistry.

Chemistry isn't fake, is it?
__________________
THIS is me on my motorcycle. Any Questions?

follow me on IG - squoddybody
Squoddybody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2015, 09:47 PM   #131
Squoddybody
This is me.
 
Squoddybody's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Hillbilly
Feedback Rating: (5)
Posts: 22,185

Experience: 8 years
Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
Custom 2003 SV650






Quote:
Originally Posted by Sudo View Post
But is any of it "fake"?
You can't tell?
__________________
THIS is me on my motorcycle. Any Questions?

follow me on IG - squoddybody
Squoddybody is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked this post:
Old 08-14-2015, 09:53 PM   #132
maxgs
Guest
 
Posts: n/a







Member Garage





That's kind of hot. Talk technical to me.
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2015, 10:02 PM   #133
False
Senior Member
 
False's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 351












Quote:
Originally Posted by Squoddybody View Post
If you read it, you would see that it's not just geology; it's geochemistry.

Chemistry isn't fake, is it?
If you aren't going to use our nomenclature you shouldn't be able to use our name.


Seriously though, how do visiting researchers from say china have any idea WTF you guys are talking about without adherence to IUPAC? Do they just all originally learn the english?
False is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2015, 10:07 PM   #134
Squoddybody
This is me.
 
Squoddybody's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Hillbilly
Feedback Rating: (5)
Posts: 22,185

Experience: 8 years
Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
Custom 2003 SV650






Quote:
Originally Posted by False View Post
If you aren't going to use our nomenclature you shouldn't be able to use our name.


Seriously though, how do visiting researchers from say china have any idea WTF you guys are talking about without adherence to IUPAC? Do they just all originally learn the english?
Interesting you should ask. I've traveled to Poland, Germany, UK, and Czech Republic for research, as well as all across the US, and we all use the same nomenclature for geology.

BTW, my degree is in chemistry.
__________________
THIS is me on my motorcycle. Any Questions?

follow me on IG - squoddybody
Squoddybody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2015, 10:09 PM   #135
Squoddybody
This is me.
 
Squoddybody's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Hillbilly
Feedback Rating: (5)
Posts: 22,185

Experience: 8 years
Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
Custom 2003 SV650






Quote:
Originally Posted by maxgs View Post
That's kind of hot. Talk technical to me.
No way. I don't want people thinking I'm smart.

Um... the light in the sky is bright and it makes you hot and stuff. Because it's turned on during the day - like a lightbulb. But it goes off at night.
__________________
THIS is me on my motorcycle. Any Questions?

follow me on IG - squoddybody
Squoddybody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2015, 10:19 PM   #136
maxgs
Guest
 
Posts: n/a







Member Garage





That kind of talk gets you twenty dollars for 3 minutes. MAybe.
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2015, 10:20 PM   #137
Squoddybody
This is me.
 
Squoddybody's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Hillbilly
Feedback Rating: (5)
Posts: 22,185

Experience: 8 years
Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
Custom 2003 SV650






Quote:
Originally Posted by maxgs View Post
That kind of talk gets you twenty dollars for 3 minutes. MAybe.
Well worth it! I'm in the wrong profession! Dammit.
__________________
THIS is me on my motorcycle. Any Questions?

follow me on IG - squoddybody
Squoddybody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2015, 10:25 PM   #138
False
Senior Member
 
False's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 351












Quote:
Originally Posted by Squoddybody View Post
Interesting you should ask. I've traveled to Poland, Germany, UK, and Czech Republic for research, as well as all across the US, and we all use the same nomenclature for geology.

BTW, my degree is in chemistry.
But is there some reason geologists say zircon instead of ZrSiO4 crystals or zirconium silicate crystal? I'm guessing zircon is the name some flat earther gave a rock he found so long ago no one cares. Why not move on? It would help when I go to the natural history museum. TIA
False is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2015, 10:39 PM   #139
maxgs
Guest
 
Posts: n/a







Member Garage





Quote:
Originally Posted by Squoddybody View Post
Well worth it! I'm in the wrong profession! Dammit.
That profession only pays until you are 23 and 7/12ths. On that eighth month it's all over.
  Reply With Quote
Liked this post:
Old 08-14-2015, 10:41 PM   #140
Sudo
Banned
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 1,023












User is banned

.
Sudo is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Advertisement


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:26 PM.


MotoHouston.com is not responsible for the content posted by users.
Privacy Policy