Welcome back to us :/ Our hosts data center was down for the entire day.
MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 08-14-2015, 05:14 PM   #81
Bevo
Hook 'em!

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 3

Bike(s):
'12 CBR1000RR Red/Black
'14 CB1000R Matte Gray
'10 CBR1000RR (destroyed)
'09 CBR1000RR C-ABS (sold)
'09 CBR600RR C-ABS (sold)

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shelnutt View Post
Thats what i meant by "move back". The inertia is acting on the dice, putting tension on the srring. Would the tensionon the string not have been caused by inertial force?
The tension to pull the dice forward is being made by the car. Not any different than a rope in tug of war. The car wins. I don't know what term you would use to call the force being placed on a rope in tug of war.
Bevo is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Anybody here into Physics? Squoddybody Off Topic 26 06-25-2013 12:58 PM
Physics of Motocross Scorpio Dirtbikes, Mini's, ATV's..... 4 06-19-2012 08:09 AM
nerd rage bunxx Off Topic 1 10-28-2011 12:47 AM
Who else is a nerd? cedestech Off Topic 20 04-06-2010 03:19 AM
Explain Physics of This to Me specterunseen General Discussion (Moto Related) 31 04-11-2008 11:23 AM
Advertisement
Old 08-14-2015, 05:15 PM   #82
Repth
Keyboard Warrior

Experience: 2 years
Trackdays: 2

Bike(s):
'14 Street Triple R

Quote:
Originally Posted by False View Post
An easy way to make two 90 degree component forces that oppose the original force vector of the string. The only actual forces are gravity and the string, the angle of vector force of the string is variable with changing mass of the dice and acceleration of the car. Add a fake force and you can determine the strings vertical and horizontal force vector components.
There is no need to "add a fake force" unless you consider the accelerating reference frame. Also, the "added fake force" doesn't tell you anything--it's a convention that you can apply once you have resolved the other determinable forces within that reference frame. It simply exists so that everything can agree with the idea that the reference frame is static when in truth it's actually accelerating.
Old 08-14-2015, 05:18 PM   #83
Repth
Keyboard Warrior

Bike(s):
'14 Street Triple R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shelnutt View Post
Thats what i meant by "move back". The inertia is acting on the dice, putting tension on the srring. Would the tensionon the string not have been caused by inertial force?
There is no "inertia acting on the dice". The inertia is an intrinsic property of the dice due to their mass. If you consider the accelerating reference frame but then pretend that it's not accelerating so that you can treat the forces inside it as though they are in static equilibrium, then you will have to take into account an "inertial force".
Old 08-14-2015, 05:20 PM   #84
Bevo
Hook 'em!

Bike(s):
'12 CBR1000RR Red/Black
'14 CB1000R Matte Gray

Member Garage

A body in orbit is continually falling. Maybe a motorcycle is orbiting around a turn. If you turn off gravity then that object in orbit would suddenly continue in a straight line. What would happen if you turned off gravity while a motorcycle was leaned over?
Liked this post:
Old 08-14-2015, 05:20 PM   #85
False

Quote:
Originally Posted by Repth View Post
There is no need to "add a fake force" unless you consider the accelerating reference frame. Also, the "added fake force" doesn't tell you anything--it's a convention that you can apply once you have resolved the other determinable forces within that reference frame. It simply exists so that everything can agree with the idea that the reference frame is static when in truth it's actually accelerating.
The fake force tells you the horizontal component of the string force (because it is the opposite). The gravity force and the vertical force of the string force is constant (opposites). The fake force is the opposite of the horizontal component of the string force. You find the fake force then it is easier to find and you can know everything about the string force. I don't like this term fake force.
False is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2015, 05:21 PM   #86
False

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bevo View Post
A body in orbit is continually falling. Maybe a motorcycle is orbiting around a turn. If you turn off gravity then that object in orbit would suddenly continue in a straight line. What would happen if you turned off gravity while a motorcycle was leaned over?
traction would be hard to come by.
Old 08-14-2015, 05:22 PM   #87
Bevo
Hook 'em!

Bike(s):
'12 CBR1000RR Red/Black
'14 CB1000R Matte Gray

Member Garage

Quote:
There is no "inertia acting on the dice". The inertia is an intrinsic property of the dice due to their mass. If you consider the accelerating reference frame but then pretend that it's not accelerating so that you can treat the forces inside it as though they are in static equilibrium, then you will have to take into account an "inertial force".
So a motionless object has no inertia?
Old 08-14-2015, 05:24 PM   #88
Bevo
Hook 'em!

Bike(s):
'12 CBR1000RR Red/Black
'14 CB1000R Matte Gray

Member Garage

Quote:
traction would be hard to come by.
Right, but at that instant the bike would still be in contact with the Earth. Let's say the ground is perfectly flat and smooth and the tires are a perfectly smooth circle. The bike would still be in contact with the Earth
Old 08-14-2015, 05:25 PM   #89
Repth
Keyboard Warrior

Bike(s):
'14 Street Triple R

Quote:
The fake force tells you the horizontal component of the string force. The gravity force and the vertical force of the string force is constant. The fake force is the opposite of the horizontal component of the string force. You find the fake force then it is easier to find and you can know everything about the string force. I don't like this term fake force.
There is no "find the fake force". The "fake force" is what you're left with when you resolve the determinable forces. Think about it... You're in the car, but none of your instrumentation nor your intuition suggest that the cars is accelerating. What forces can you measure on the dice? You can measure the direction and the magnitude of the tensile force, and thankfully we already know the gravitational force. We can use this information to find the direction and magnitude of the "fake force", not the other way around. Now, if on the other hand we know the car is accelerating and we take the dynamic rather than the static approach to the problem, this whole non-inertial reference frame bullshit is solved without the need for this argument.
Old 08-14-2015, 05:25 PM   #90
Repth
Keyboard Warrior

Bike(s):
'14 Street Triple R

Quote:
Did you just... Divide by zero?
Old 08-14-2015, 05:25 PM   #91
pigfarmer
Banned

Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
Salsa Horsethief
Paugcho bobber

User is banned

pigfarmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2015, 05:26 PM   #92
Bevo
Hook 'em!

Bike(s):
'12 CBR1000RR Red/Black
'14 CB1000R Matte Gray

Member Garage

Quote:
Did you just... Divide by zero?
Did I?
Old 08-14-2015, 05:27 PM   #93
VicTOEmizer

Feedback Rating: (3)

Bike(s):
rc51 (sold)
TTR 125 :)
Buell xb12r (sold)
2013 z1000 (sold)
Ducati multistrada :)

Nerd alert....indeed.
Old 08-14-2015, 05:28 PM   #94
Flip Flop
Ordained Minister

Experience: 1 year

Bike(s):
2006 SV650S(sold)(happy now?)
Toes Ducati Multistrada(what now buck?)

I remember why I got a D in physics now
Flip Flop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2015, 05:28 PM   #95
Repth
Keyboard Warrior

Bike(s):
'14 Street Triple R

Quote:
So a motionless object has no inertia?
I assume that's sarcasm? What I said did not imply that motionless objects had no inertia, it simply implies that inertia is not a thing that acts on the body in question. It's a property of the body.
Old 08-14-2015, 05:31 PM   #96
pigfarmer
Banned

Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
Salsa Horsethief
Paugcho bobber

User is banned

pigfarmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2015, 05:31 PM   #97
Repth
Keyboard Warrior

Bike(s):
'14 Street Triple R

Quote:
Right, but at that instant the bike would still be in contact with the Earth. Let's say the ground is perfectly flat and smooth and the tires are a perfectly smooth circle. The bike would still be in contact with the Earth
If you "turn off gravity" then the universe is immediately kaput because there's nothing to balance the subatomic forces and every molecule suddenly behaves radically different and the laws of chemistry immediately break down resulting in a sudden heat-death of reality as we know it.
Old 08-14-2015, 05:31 PM   #98
Bevo
Hook 'em!

Bike(s):
'12 CBR1000RR Red/Black
'14 CB1000R Matte Gray

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toe View Post
Nerd alert....indeed.
Ever notice that the Solar system is kind of like an atom? The Sun being the nucleus and the planets being electrons. Maybe our Solar system is actually one atom that's part of a molecule that's part of a single cell that makes up the tissue on a giant dog's nose.
Old 08-14-2015, 05:33 PM   #99
False

Quote:
There is no "find the fake force". The "fake force" is what you're left with when you resolve the determinable forces. Think about it... You're in the car, but none of your instrumentation nor your intuition suggest that the cars is accelerating. What forces can you measure on the dice? You can measure the direction and the magnitude of the tensile force, and thankfully we already know the gravitational force. We can use this information to find the direction and magnitude of the "fake force", not the other way around. Now, if on the other hand we know the car is accelerating and we take the dynamic rather than the static approach to the problem, this whole non-inertial reference frame bullshit is solved without the need for this argument.
Sorry, how are you finding the tensile force of the string exactly? Magic string? Length of string, mass of die, angle of string gives me everything I need without some super string. I can add the gravitational force, the fake force and get the string force.

This is the entire point of fake force. You break down an unknown force (string in this case) into two component 90 degree forces. One of those is known and the fake force is then easier to find than the string force.
Old 08-14-2015, 05:33 PM   #100
Bevo
Hook 'em!

Bike(s):
'12 CBR1000RR Red/Black
'14 CB1000R Matte Gray

Member Garage

Quote:
I assume that's sarcasm? What I said did not imply that motionless objects had no inertia, it simply implies that inertia is not a thing that acts on the body in question. It's a property of the body.
Exactly, so my replies to Shellnut were correct

Advertisement