MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 08-14-2015, 04:41 PM   #61
maxgs

Member Garage

Ha. Ok.
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Anybody here into Physics? Squoddybody Off Topic 26 06-25-2013 12:58 PM
Physics of Motocross Scorpio Dirtbikes, Mini's, ATV's..... 4 06-19-2012 08:09 AM
nerd rage bunxx Off Topic 1 10-28-2011 12:47 AM
Who else is a nerd? cedestech Off Topic 20 04-06-2010 03:19 AM
Explain Physics of This to Me specterunseen General Discussion (Moto Related) 31 04-11-2008 11:23 AM
Advertisement
Old 08-14-2015, 04:41 PM   #62
Repth
Keyboard Warrior

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 2 years
Trackdays: 2

Bike(s):
'14 Street Triple R

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArkansasDave View Post
And saying non inertial reference frame is gonna help? I think you over estimate the average layman.
No, I don't think you have to use that term at all. You could say accelerating reference frame. That's part of my explanation here, it would not be part of my explanation to the average Joe.
Old 08-14-2015, 04:44 PM   #63
maxgs

Member Garage

I don't understand your language. But then again, there are zero formulas or theories that support what you're saying.
Old 08-14-2015, 04:45 PM   #64
maxgs

Member Garage

Are you in Nobel laureate?
Old 08-14-2015, 04:47 PM   #65
Flip Flop
Ordained Minister

Experience: 1 year

Bike(s):
2006 SV650S(sold)(happy now?)
Toes Ducati Multistrada(what now buck?)

Can one of you college folk answer the dice string question? It was a real question
Flip Flop is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2015, 04:49 PM   #66
Repth
Keyboard Warrior

Bike(s):
'14 Street Triple R

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxgs View Post
I don't understand your language. But then again, there are zero formulas or theories that support what you're saying.
I pointed them out to you in the study that pbfoot posted in that thread. But you ignore them. There's a nice, pretty, easy to understand graph and everything. There's a formula posted even prior to that in the article that encompasses all of the things that I said would affect the usefulness of the front vs rear brakes. But you chose (and apparently still do choose) to overlook that. I cannot make it any simpler without literally giving you a statics lesson and that is something I am certainly not interested in doing.
Old 08-14-2015, 04:50 PM   #67
Repth
Keyboard Warrior

Bike(s):
'14 Street Triple R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shelnutt View Post
In other words, what is the name of the force that caused the dice to put tension on the string to begin with?
Gravity.
Old 08-14-2015, 04:53 PM   #68
ArkansasDave

Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
2010 CRF450R
2014 Honda Grom
2015 KTM 250xc

Do you understand vectors? The car accelerates and pulls the dice forward. The string as to be at an angle to where the horizontal force provided by the strings tension to be equal to the force the car is putting on the string in the horizontal axis.

No force is pushing it back because it only looks like it moves backwards to someone sitting it the car but to anyone outside the car the dice will only move forward.
ArkansasDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2015, 04:54 PM   #69
ArkansasDave

Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
2010 CRF450R
2014 Honda Grom
2015 KTM 250xc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Repth View Post
Gravity.
This is true, and through out the cars acceleration the vertical component will be equal to the mass times the acceleration due to gravity and the horizontal component will be equal to the mass of the dice times by the acceleration of the car.
ArkansasDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2015, 04:55 PM   #70
Flip Flop
Ordained Minister

Bike(s):

Quote:
Gravity.
No im talking about the force that caused the dice to move back upon acceleration, subsequently putting tension on the string
Old 08-14-2015, 04:57 PM   #71
kenup283

Trackdays: 3

Bike(s):
01 Bandit 1200

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxgs View Post
Interesting article on motorcycle physics basics from Wired magazine of all places...

HOW DO MOTORCYCLES LEAN SO FAR WITHOUT TIPPING OVER?

http://www.wired.com/2015/08/motorcy...thout-tipping/
Wait... You mean it has nothing to do with not running out of grip?

Shellnut, I think you know the answer to you own question. The dice only stay still when the car is at a constant speed and in a straight line. Otherwise they will always be swinging on way or another depending on which direction the car is pulling them in.
Old 08-14-2015, 04:58 PM   #72
Repth
Keyboard Warrior

Bike(s):
'14 Street Triple R

Quote:
No im talking about the force that caused the dice to move back upon acceleration, subsequently putting tension on the string
Nothing causes the dice to move back. Imagine in super slow motion, and picture you looking directly at the dice from outside of the car. As the car accelerates, the dice never move backward--they move forward. You will see the angle of the string sweep up from vertical, which is a result of the acceleration of the car. As the dice get pulled forward by the tensile force in the string, the angle of the string changes to reflect that.
Old 08-14-2015, 04:59 PM   #73
Flip Flop
Ordained Minister

Bike(s):

Is itnot true that there is tension on the string because the dice have a resistance to changing direction AKA inertia?
Old 08-14-2015, 05:05 PM   #74
Bevo
Hook 'em!

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
'12 CBR1000RR Red/Black
'14 CB1000R Matte Gray
'10 CBR1000RR (destroyed)
'09 CBR1000RR C-ABS (sold)
'09 CBR600RR C-ABS (sold)

Member Garage

Quote:
The dice don't move back. The car moves forward. The dice want to stay still because of inertia. The dice eventually have to move forward because the string is tied to the car, which has more mass plus friction working in its favor

If you slam on the brakes the dice want to continue on their path also because of inertia
Bevo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2015, 05:07 PM   #75
Repth
Keyboard Warrior

Bike(s):
'14 Street Triple R

The dice want to stay still. Their propensity to stay still is related to their mass. This concept of wanting to continue doing what they are currently doing is called inertia. If they were moving, they would want to continue moving and would not stop until another force or forces brought them to a stop, for instance. The tension is in the string due to the acceleration of the dice. The dice want to accelerate downwards at 9.8 m/s^2 (gravitational acceleration). As the dice accelerate forward, the tension in the string increases in magnitude and changes its direction due to the addition of the horizontal acceleration without the loss of the ever-present gravitational acceleration.
Old 08-14-2015, 05:09 PM   #76
bumblebee
Yeah I'm flippin' YOU off

Feedback Rating: (3)

Bike(s):
'74 Suzuki GT380
'82 XS650 StreetTracker
'10 Ducati Streetfighter
'83 Yamaha Seca 900

Centrifugal force is an imaginary force only in that, it isn't a force. It's an effect of inertia.
It's effects are not imaginary is just not a force.
Bevo- "I lack skillz"
bumblebee is online now   Reply With Quote
Liked this post:
Old 08-14-2015, 05:10 PM   #77
Bevo
Hook 'em!

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
'12 CBR1000RR Red/Black
'14 CB1000R Matte Gray
'10 CBR1000RR (destroyed)
'09 CBR1000RR C-ABS (sold)
'09 CBR600RR C-ABS (sold)

Member Garage

Quote:
This concept of wanting to continue doing what they are currently doing is called inertia.
And if it were possible to be motionless in space, they would remain in place because of inertia. Being motionless is "doing what they are currently doing"
Bevo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2015, 05:12 PM   #78
False

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bevo View Post
The dice don't move back. The car moves forward. The dice want to stay still because of inertia. The dice eventually have to move forward because the string is tied to the car, which has more mass plus friction working in its favor

If you slam on the brakes the dice want to continue on their path also because of inertia
An easy way to make two 90 degree component forces that oppose the original force vector of the string. The only actual forces are gravity and the string, the angle of vector force of the string is variable with changing mass of the dice and acceleration of the car. Add a fake force and you can determine the strings vertical and horizontal force vector components.
False is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2015, 05:12 PM   #79
Repth
Keyboard Warrior

Bike(s):
'14 Street Triple R

Quote:
Originally Posted by bumblebee View Post
Centrifugal force is an imaginary force only in that, it isn't a force. It's an effect of inertia.
It's effects are not imaginary is just not a force.
Furthermore, "centrifugal force" is merely a mathematical convention that we use to describe something within a particular reference plane.
Old 08-14-2015, 05:12 PM   #80
Flip Flop
Ordained Minister

Bike(s):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bevo View Post

Thats what i meant by "move back". The inertia is acting on the dice, putting tension on the srring. Would the tensionon the string not have been caused by inertial force?

Advertisement