Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back > News & Media > Houston - Local News > Sports
Forgot info?

Welcome to! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 08-13-2015, 04:40 PM   #1
Feedback Rating: (0)

McNair Says Texans Not Interested In Ray Rice

Would the Texans consider adding embattled running back Ray Rice?

Ever since running back Arian Foster went down with a serious groin injury in the team's first padded practice of training camp, that question has been bandied about amongst and fans and media surrounding the Houston Texans.

So far the Texans' actions have spoken loudly, since no running back has been added in the 10 days since the injury to Foster. Most speculated that because Rice was involved in the domestic violence incident and subsequent league suspension, Texans owner Bob McNair would not be interested in having Rice put on a Texans jersey.

McNair confirmed that today when he was asked about it following Thursday's practice.

“I think I’d want to talk with our players, and I don’t know that that’s something that they would like," McNair said. "We want people that fit in our locker room, because as I said, it’s all about teamwork."

Rice has not played an NFL game since Dec. 29, 2013.

In what turned out to be his final season in Baltimore, Rice had the worst production of his career. He averaged only 3.1 yards per carry and averaged fewer yards per carry in 10 of his 15 games.

Rice said recently he played the whole season with a torn quadriceps, which certainly would have limited his effectiveness. Rice, 28, did average nearly 350 touches per season in the four seasons prior to his dismal 2013 campaign.

McNair also talked about his skills quite possibly not being strong enough to warrant a look.

"We’ve got four good running backs," McNair said. "I don’t know that he’s as good as any of the four we’ve got. I haven’t seen anybody else try to sign him, so I think that’s a pretty good indication of where he stands.”

Houston worked out veterans Pierre Thomas and Joe McKnight, along with former Aggies running back Ben Malena, almost immediately after learning of the Foster injury.

The team liked what they saw from Thomas, but couldn't agree on a deal with him.

Head coach Bill O'Brien has said a couple of times, that he likes the running backs that are here.

"I think all those guys are doing well, I really do," O'Brien said. "I think if you look from top to bottom there, I think they’re all pretty even, they all do different things.

"Alfred’s (Blue) had a good camp, (Jonathan) Grimes has had a good camp, Kenny Hilliard, Chris Polk, the last three days has really done some good things. We’re happy with that position.”

The foursome will have their first chance to prove McNair and O'Brien right in the preseason opener Saturday night.

Bob McNair JPG

NewsBot is offline   Reply With Quote