Welcome back to us :/ Our hosts data center was down for the entire day.
MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > News & Media > Houston - Local News > Sports
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 08-12-2015, 11:00 AM   #1
NewsBot

Feedback Rating: (0)

Texans QB battle continues; Hoyer leads 1st team at practice

The Texans have hit the midway point of their second week of training camp at NRG Park. The fans are out once again and the stands are packed. I really like how the Texans make it a point to open a handful of these camp workouts. Many fans can't afford what it costs these days to attend a game so the camp experience is the next best thing. 

As for practice Wednesday, the quarterbacks continue to rotate each day who takes snaps with the No. 1 unit and the nod went to Brian Hoyer Wednesday with Ryan Mallett going with the 2's. 

Meanwhile, Tom Savage is making progress from what I see most days. On the field, he looks relaxed, looks to have a command of the system and, speaking with him, he is confident and has come a long way since his rookie campaign last year.

Cornerback Johnathan Joseph is not practicing Wednesday. He is likely just being rested, but we will get the lowdown from head coach Bill O'Brien.

Practice wrapped up early at 10:15 a.m.

O'Brien said he was very happy about a competitive practice.

On HBO's "Hard Knocks," O'Brien said they are mic'd up 14 hours a day.

"My brother texted me and he liked it. My mom texted me and wasn't too happy," O'Brien said. "I haven't been to confession since sixth grade so I need to go back."

As far as which QB is starting in the first preseason game Saturday night against the San Francisco 49ers, O'Brien said don't get too caught up in the order of playing.

"At some point we need to make a QB decision but I am not there yet."

He also talked about the running back situation with Arian Foster sidelined by surgery.

"I am seeing good things from all of them Blue and Grimes and really Chris Polk has had a great past few days and so has Jay Prosch," he said. "We can do a lot of things with this running backs group. I like the way they are looking."

O'Brien also singled out Kevin Johnson and Christian Covington as rookies doing well.

Texans continue camp Thursday then host the 49ers Saturday. We'll have coverage Tuesday afternoon one KPRC 2 Sports.

KPRC 2 sports producer Adam Wexler was also at Houston Texans practice Wednesday morning and here are his observations:

QB Ryan Mallett with a couple of nice throws, first to his left, a patient throw to Keith Murphy, then a throw all the way back to his right to Jace Davis.

Head coach Bill O'Brien brings the team together about halfway through practice.

QB Brian Hoyer gets a pass tipped at the line by John Simon. Benardrick McKinney catches it and nearly takes it 50 or so yards for the TD, but runs out of gas around the 10-yard line and gets tackled.

First team offense at the 5-yard line, needs a TD. Defense holds them on three runs up the middle to force a 4th and Goal inside the one-year line. Hoyer snuck it in on fourth down for the TD. Defense had Pagan, Wilfork, Nix on the interior line.

Mallett, working with and against the second unit, nearly a good deep throw and connection leading Martin down the field, ball floats in over Martin's outside shoulder, but he doesn't get his hands on it.

Prosch gets a head of steam on the edge and runs right through Jumal Rolle.

Savage now fires a dart to the sideline for Davis, who makes the catch.

Savage on a rollout back to his left, nice throw on crossing route to Denham.

Hoyer misses Hopkins over the middle. Next play, Watt, off the left side, gets two hands on Hoyer for a sack.

Follows that up with a screen to Damaris Johnson, who shook his way for 15-yard gain.

Covington bursts through the left side on the screen to Polk, brings him and OL Cody White to the ground.

Inside handoff out of the shotgun to Grimes, who squirts into the end zone for a score for the second unit.

Mallett calls it a day after that handoff. He gave all appearances that he was sick Tuesday.

texanscamp081215 jpg

More...
NewsBot is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisement