MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 08-14-2015, 10:37 AM   #41
SideVinder650

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 7 years

Bike(s):
Suzuki SV650 2nd gen

Quote:
Originally Posted by supadupa View Post
Once a title is reported as non-repairable or junk there is nothing that that you can do to return it to the road. Rebuilt titles are for salvage titles with a lower damage level. The real problem comes when different states treat titles differently. In Florida just getting towed can result in a junk title status.

It sucks but I think you're screwed.

The above statement could not be more wrong in the state of texas. I purchased a 2008 SV650 in July of 2009 with 750 miles on it. The bike must've belonged to a beginner who dropped it once on both sides then had his full coverage total the bike

I lucked out big time, got a fresh bike with minor damage (it was only my 2nd bike any how and i was expecting to drop it too, while still learning so i didnt mind)

I went thru the salvage/rebuild process, took the red title and eventually sent it off after getting the mandatory state inspection and filling out the repair/receipts form (mentioned above) then the title came back Blue Texas Rebuilt.
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Advice on first bike. BowserFB09 General Discussion (Moto Related) 25 06-10-2014 02:09 AM
Buying bike w/ no Title..advice? CDN_bacon General Discussion (Moto Related) 23 08-23-2012 02:20 AM
New bike advice ProjecTMX General Discussion (Moto Related) 61 10-02-2010 11:22 AM
getting title for bike with lost title... Bomb0314 General Discussion (Moto Related) 12 03-29-2010 12:47 AM
How to title a no title bike? BigComfy How To's and Q & A's 4 02-01-2009 01:56 PM
Advertisement
Old 08-14-2015, 10:38 AM   #42
maxgs

Member Garage

I did the same with a bike. It was easy.
Old 08-14-2015, 11:18 AM   #43
flipstyledsm22
Lets go fishing!

Feedback Rating: (2)

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
1994 FLSTC Pro-Street Chopper
1964 Tote Gote
2003 GSXR600 - SOLD
2004 ZX6R - SOLD
1986 VFR750 - SOLD

Send a message via Yahoo to flipstyledsm22
Quote:
Originally Posted by HoustonHD View Post
So why not go the legal route and get your money back? Especially if the bike was sold as "good" when it really was a salvage.
Isn't there a Lemon Law for this type of sales?
Quote:
Originally Posted by gixxerbill View Post
I hate perma bans they are sooo...permanent.
flipstyledsm22 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2015, 11:23 AM   #44
HoustonHD

Feedback Rating: (0)

Bike(s):
2010 HD Ultra classic
'73 HD FX choppa!

Quote:
Originally Posted by flipstyledsm22 View Post
Isn't there a Lemon Law for this type of sales?
I think Lemon law refers to manufacturer. But I you're thinking in the right direction. Basically someone sold a bike as something it was not. That's fraud. Even if the seller "didn't know", it should be his problem now to deal with it. Then add on top the absurdity that the buyer paid twice the value of the bike. I'd be I got ripped off.
HoustonHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2015, 11:37 AM   #45
Jae
Kilted Basterd

Feedback Rating: (9)

Experience: 9 years

Bike(s):
Naked Sprint
Russian POS
Angry Max/Tub
Pile o' Hyosungs

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by SideVinder650 View Post
The above statement could not be more wrong in the state of texas. I purchased a 2008 SV650 in July of 2009 with 750 miles on it. The bike must've belonged to a beginner who dropped it once on both sides then had his full coverage total the bike

I lucked out big time, got a fresh bike with minor damage (it was only my 2nd bike any how and i was expecting to drop it too, while still learning so i didnt mind)

I went thru the salvage/rebuild process, took the red title and eventually sent it off after getting the mandatory state inspection and filling out the repair/receipts form (mentioned above) then the title came back Blue Texas Rebuilt.
There are "totaled" vehicles in Texas, which as I understand are able to be re-titled as "salvage" or "rebuilt" after an inspection, but some state issue a non-rebuildable title. I believe Florida (and apparently Michigan) is one of those, and once that non-rebuildable tag is attached to the VIN, my understanding is that most states will not issue a title, even if rebuilt. It's possible that the previous owner obtained a Texas title before that VIN was flagged as non-rebuildable. I honestly don't know, but I have bought a lot of parts from salvage companies around the country and for some reason Florida and Ohio stick out in my mind as being places where I've seen frames that looked perfect that were noted as having VINs that could never be registered for street use due to the title branding.

Advertisement