MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > Technical > Performance and Modifications
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 08-09-2015, 07:54 PM   #1
silverslug00

Feedback Rating: (0)

Member Garage

Autotune vs dyno

I'm about to get my headers ceramic coated so I need to decide shoukd I redo my bung and then get them.coated or just forget it and get my bike dyno instead of doing auto tuning.
silverslug00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
DYNO CRAZY_ZX14 Off Topic 7 05-03-2013 02:05 PM
Dynojet autotune module B.T.R. General Discussion (Moto Related) 3 09-19-2012 10:15 PM
Mr. Rogers Autotune Jason_Canuck Off Topic 4 06-08-2012 06:52 PM
what Rebecca Black sounds like without autotune zombiejesus Off Topic 17 03-30-2011 04:14 PM
autotune the news chase General Discussion (Moto Related) 0 06-25-2009 12:40 PM
Advertisement
Old 08-10-2015, 08:06 AM   #2
bluewave18
Safety Third

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
08 Busa
03 XR 50

If you plan on future changes that would require a tune then auto tune pays for itself quick. If you plan on setting it up and leaving it alone, a trip to the dyno is the way to go. Its all about the versatility you get from auto tune. Parts changes and different fuels ect
Old 08-10-2015, 10:56 AM   #3
MCCycles
MCCycles Turbocharged

Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 8 years

Bike(s):
Turbo R1

Please understand that with a constant running auto tune you are basically assuming that the cheap Bosch sensors that come in all the "auto tune" kits is going to continually read accurately.

To prove the inaccuracy of the auto tune sensors, we attached 2 different Bazzaz Auto Tune sensors and 2 different Power Commander Auto tune sensors (which by the way we're all just Bosch 4.0-4.9 sensors), and then compared the readings to our laboratory grade NTK sensor we use for tuning.

The auto tune sensors all read lean compared to the NTK, and I definitely trust the $400 lab grade sensor over some $40 Bosch sensors.

I guess what I'm trying to say is.... Put it on the dyno with a quality A/F reader and don't look back. A lot of tuners, us included, don't charge a full tuning session cost if you come back every once in a while with a minor change.
MCCycles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 11:13 AM   #4
40acres

Bike(s):
2008 zx-6r
2011 kx250f
2006 zx-6r (R.I.P.)
2004 RM 125 (sold)

"laboratory grade"
40acres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 11:21 AM   #5
MCCycles
MCCycles Turbocharged

Bike(s):
Turbo R1

Yes, that is the technical term for the higher end NTK sensor.
Old 08-11-2015, 04:31 PM   #6
tbssowner

Experience: 3 years

Yes there is a difference between a good 02 reader but for a bike with bolt ons that is not a built motor or boosted, is that really the best way to spend your cash. I would hope on your dyno tune you would use a quality sensor but for the average joe with a powercommander?
tbssowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 01:00 AM   #7
MCCycles
MCCycles Turbocharged

Bike(s):
Turbo R1

Maybe my post reads wrong, I'd have to reread it to see lol.

I'm saying that you should not auto tune unless you plan on going through several different environmental conditions within a small period of time.

All of our tunes, either built turbo or built motors, or the "average joe" with just a power commander, get tuned with the highest quality NTK sensor you can buy. That way it is dead on. I have had bikes come to me that are "tuned" with uncalibrated or incorrect O2 sensors, and they're wondering why the bike isn't "quite right". Any quality dyno operator/owner should do the same, use the best equipment possible for the best outcome.
Old 08-12-2015, 01:08 AM   #8
MCCycles
MCCycles Turbocharged

Bike(s):
Turbo R1

I'm not saying anyone should drive around with a basic bike and a super expensive wideband (power commander and Bazzaz actually are calibrated to the Bosch so you couldn't anyways ), I'm saying trust the dyno tune one single time when tuned with a quality AFR unit, and leave it be.

Now, if your only option is to go somewhere to dyno tune that uses a sub par AFR analyzer, then definitely save the money on the tune and let it auto tune for you lol.

Advertisement