MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 06-29-2007, 11:14 PM   #1
GABRIEL

Feedback Rating: (14)

Experience: 1-3 months

What bike?

Was wondering what bike to get, to get in to sumo's. It needs to be a honda and what do you think about the drz400sm? I want a bike that is not high maint. and that is not slow. I also want to ride a lot of wheelies on and do some jumping, and woods riding. I herd the crf450 is high maint. I was leaning more to the 650r and is the 650l any good.
GABRIEL is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Sunday 4/01 Bike ride to Deer Park's Bike Show, then Galveston! GixxerLizzy Events, Meets and Rides 7 04-08-2012 07:38 PM
Friday night group ride HOOTErS ;)!! Discuss bike possible bike club skullrider Events, Meets and Rides 7 03-23-2012 06:27 PM
Cycle Gear south 9/1 6-9p bike night/bike wash Ilean Events, Meets and Rides 11 09-01-2011 06:49 PM
Friend wanting a liter bike for first street bike *long convo inside* AWD General Discussion (Moto Related) 108 08-08-2006 12:08 PM
Advertisement
Old 06-30-2007, 02:29 AM   #2
josh302

Feedback Rating: (4)

Bike(s):
shotgun
rifle
4wd

drz is a suzuki I think? I had a drz400 it was a monster, never had a problem.
Old 06-30-2007, 07:08 AM   #3
XRCajun
Cool Senior Member

Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 5

Bike(s):
2001 Honda XR650R Track Motard (sold), 2006 Honda 919, 2007 Honda CBR600RR(sold)

Yeah if it has to be a Honda then you don't want the DRZ.

If you are planning to do pavement riding and don't mind doing all the conversions to license it then the 650R is a blast. You can do anything you want with that bike. It was built to race off road so it can take all the abuse you can give it. It requires almost no maintainence. It has so much power and and torque for its weight that if you gear it right you can cruise the highway at 90 mph all day long and run it up to 120-130 pretty easy (if you were so inclined to be breaking the law that way).

I don't think there is another bike out there that is as offroad race ready, has as much power and torque, and is as proven maintanance free and bullet proof. The biggest negative is you'll have to add to it to make it street ready if that's what you want it for.
XRCajun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2007, 12:05 PM   #4
GABRIEL

Quote:
Originally Posted by josh302
drz is a suzuki I think? I had a drz400 it was a monster, never had a problem.
Yeah I now its a suki. But the sm seem's like it would be heavier and I've heard that it is over weight and under powered. I like honda! I am starting to like the 650r. I've been on supermotojunkie and looking at pics they have of the modded 650's=nice!
Old 06-30-2007, 01:18 PM   #5
GABRIEL

Where are you tard guys at now?
Old 06-30-2007, 08:03 PM   #6
Buck Beasley
Older,Wiser,Faster

Feedback Rating: (2)

'05 Suzuki SV 650,

'04 Vespa 150

Member Garage

Send a message via Yahoo to Buck Beasley
DO the CRF 450!! Sickness and the 650 will never touch it on the track. It will rip your arms off and beat you with the stumps. Monster power to weight, and lots of good aftermarket go fast goodies....... Look at what the AMA Supermoto guys are running and you won't see an XR in there anywhere.
Buck Beasley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2007, 08:14 PM   #7
mekrew
naaaaaw i sayin

Feedback Rating: (4)

Trackdays: 10+

Member Garage

Send a message via AIM to mekrew
if u want to ride streets i think the crf450x is geared for street

c0rey got one with some motard tires , its sick

i want to scoop up a wr250 or 450 one of these days since a used 450x is harder to find
mekrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2007, 08:18 PM   #8
GABRIEL

Now I'm undecided again.
Old 06-30-2007, 08:32 PM   #9
XRCajun
Cool Senior Member

Bike(s):
2001 Honda XR650R Track Motard (sold), 2006 Honda 919, 2007 Honda CBR600RR(sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buck Beasley
DO the CRF 450!! Sickness and the 650 will never touch it on the track. It will rip your arms off and beat you with the stumps. Monster power to weight, and lots of good aftermarket go fast goodies....... Look at what the AMA Supermoto guys are running and you won't see an XR in there anywhere.
He's right if you want to race on the track the CRF450X is undoubtedly the best choice. The 650r has more weight but is better on the rode because of it's extra weight. Also it has more torque than the 450 which means you can gear it way up for high speed on the highway and still have lots of low end torque for getting off the start. The X won't do that on the road and gets pretty uncomfortable on the highway around traffic. You just have to choose which you think you'll be doing the most.

If you think you'll have it on the road a lot the 650R, if you plan to race SM the 450X but you'll have much higher maintance.
Old 06-30-2007, 08:36 PM   #10
GABRIEL

More off road and playing around than anything and would be riding wheelies in lots. Also would like to do some 50 rides with josh302.
Old 06-30-2007, 08:40 PM   #11
NO MORE F4I
my hand hurts

Experience: 5 years

Bike(s):
bikeless now
my bmx p.o.s.

the 450 is fast as , i had one, scared me, scared me to death
Old 06-30-2007, 08:45 PM   #12
XRCajun
Cool Senior Member

Bike(s):

Quote:
Originally Posted by 97900rr01f4i
More off road and playing around than anything and would be riding wheelies in lots. Also would like to do some 50 rides with josh302.
Then the 450X is probably the one for you. It will cost you though.
Old 06-30-2007, 08:46 PM   #13
NO MORE F4I
my hand hurts

Experience: 5 years

Bike(s):
bikeless now
my bmx p.o.s.

Quote:
Originally Posted by XRCajun
Then the 450X is probably the one for you. It will cost you though.
and it will make you bleed
Old 06-30-2007, 09:13 PM   #14
GABRIEL

Quote:
Originally Posted by no mercy f4i
and it will make you bleed
Old 07-01-2007, 07:36 AM   #15
XRCajun
Cool Senior Member

Bike(s):

Check this out!

This is one heck of a deal! I don't know where it is but wow!
http://www.supermotojunkie.com/showthread.php?t=37586
Old 07-11-2007, 09:50 PM   #16
Mad Max

Feedback Rating: (3)

Send a message via AIM to Mad Max
Quote:
Originally Posted by XRCajun
He's right if you want to race on the track the CRF450X is undoubtedly the best choice. The 650r has more weight but is better on the rode because of it's extra weight. Also it has more torque than the 450 which means you can gear it way up for high speed on the highway and still have lots of low end torque for getting off the start. The X won't do that on the road and gets pretty uncomfortable on the highway around traffic. You just have to choose which you think you'll be doing the most.

If you think you'll have it on the road a lot the 650R, if you plan to race SM the 450X but you'll have much higher maintance.
What kindof riding are you looking to do maxtrax?

for the track, the 450R appears to be the better choice...lighter (no starter, battery, and etc electrical system), hotter motor, smaller gas tank and some other stuff. it does lack the wide ratio gearbox of the X model though, which is sometimes a problem. you have to gear the outta the final drive.

it depends on how much time and what type of useage ur going to be putting on the motor. the 450R's (and X's too i believe) will need frequent maintenance, esp when ridden on the street. i'm talking about at least weekly oil changes for engine and the tranny oil...running good oils...not the cheap stuff. you must keep an eye on the valves. the stock intakes will go out, so you need to keep an eye on them and check clearances regularly. the aftermarket SS valves appear to be much more reliable. That's just the tip to keep an eye on. Dealing with geting a 450R legal on the street is not super cheap either...there's another thread in here about a guy building up a 450 for street use. I don't think that high performance and low maintenance really go hand in hand...its all compromises.

i'm currently building up a 450R. there's a slew of parts downstairs in teh garage with more on the way, a worn out crankshaft, and freshly rebuild head sittin next to me here. even moderately build crf motors will tear up a 450 kitted DRZ. I'm hoping to push about 57hp when all buttoned up. Not really the time that i wanted to rebuild, but what can ya do.

there's lots of info over at TT that i would read up on if i was you. probably about 50 threads of people askign the same questions as you, with plenty of suggestions. my .02
Mad Max is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007, 12:26 PM   #17
TxFireblade
STRENGTH THROU Oi!

Feedback Rating: (0)

Bike(s):
04 CBR 1000RR KTM 380

Send a message via Yahoo to TxFireblade
The nice thing about the 450x is that is has a lighting coil on the bike so you will not have to rig one up. You need to look at oil capacity for riding on the street. Most of the "race" bikes need the oil changed every other ride. They only hold about a quart or a quart and a half of oil. I ran a KTM 525 and had a oil cooler on it to hold a extra quart. That bike was alot of fun and you can find them at a good price. 6speed gear box helped out on the street and the long straights at some of the tracks. I have a DRZ that we turned into a SM right before Suzuki released theirs. Nothing wrong with them, rock solid bikes. Change the head gasket to the off road set up and you will get more power out of it. Just my 2cents
You can preach till you're blue in the face but if you are lying in the gutter no one's gonna listen. If you pick yourself up by the bootstraps and live your life to the best of your ability you may set an example that others will follow...The power of your example is far greater then what you say!
TxFireblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007, 02:30 PM   #18
GABRIEL

Thanks for the info every one. I will take my time when buying my tard. Too. many choices.

Advertisement