MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > Safety Corner > Gear Talk
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.


FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Reply
Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 06-29-2007, 01:14 AM   #1
ar1300
Senior Member
 
ar1300's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: pasadena
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 357


Bike(s):
05 hayabusa
125cc dirt bike
50cc cag dirt bike







helmet question?

ive had a couple of other riders tell me. that if you drop your helmet from a 5 foot drop. the helmet wont "work" anymore. that it is only made to protect you once and one time only. is the true? i wouldnt ask if i didnt know.
ar1300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Helmet question cbrmonkey General Discussion (Moto Related) 7 11-02-2013 08:57 PM
Helmet question ecclissiass Gear Talk 21 11-22-2011 01:10 PM
Helmet question? Lizgon2004 Gear Talk 23 02-14-2009 04:08 AM
helmet question booo-iii_rider General Discussion (Moto Related) 31 04-29-2008 09:27 AM
helmet question hecken2002 Gear Talk 3 03-31-2008 08:59 PM
Advertisement
Old 06-29-2007, 01:16 AM   #2
1hander
1hand is enouph
 
1hander's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: san antonio
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 273


Bike(s):
04 R1









Send a message via Yahoo to 1hander
if i drop it, i usually buy another, some guys think thats a bit too extreme, but its my head and money is no object, id hate for the helmet to fall apart at an inopportune moment
__________________
"RAGE-----RAGE AGAINST THE DIEING OF THE LIGHT"

www.satxriders.com
1hander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2007, 01:18 AM   #3
hardcoresteve
Hero since birth
 
hardcoresteve's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: League City
Feedback Rating: (1)
Posts: 4,850

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
2007 R6s
1983 FS50 moped








Send a message via AIM to hardcoresteve
depends on the surface and the noise it makes when it makes contact. i have droped dirtbike helmets and crashed and used the same one over and over...but thts not the same speeds or surface most of the time its dirt or sand
hardcoresteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2007, 01:24 AM   #4
Squanto84
Ruh Roh..
 
Squanto84's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Pearland
Feedback Rating: (7)
Posts: 2,384

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+






Member Garage





It's very true...

The shell of the helmet is made to disperse an impact over a larger area, for the foam in the helem to absorb. An impact to the shell created something like stress cracks, weakening the shell. As i understand it, if the helem takes two hits to the same area, it is possible for the shell to collapse and transfer the force directly to the soft (in comparison) foam and then to the skull. there should be other writeups around here or the net.. If you want a more technical answer, call or email the guys at "The Service Pavilion". They are an Arai specialist. http://www.theservicepavilion.com/ or call 877-819-2245. They are in Pennsylvania, but work with individuals around the US. Ask for Robert. I know there are local places youi could call like Motorcycles Unlimited, as I know patrick will have a more accurate response, but at 1:15 AM, this is all my brain is worth!

cheers..
__________________
Roadracing a dirtbike..? Now that's just stupid! -Dad
Squanto84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2007, 01:36 AM   #5
Squanto84
Ruh Roh..
 
Squanto84's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Pearland
Feedback Rating: (7)
Posts: 2,384

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+






Member Garage





hmmmm.... Congrats Marcus Brooks, you're a weiner!
__________________
Roadracing a dirtbike..? Now that's just stupid! -Dad

Last edited by Squanto84; 06-29-2007 at 01:37 AM. Reason: spelling
Squanto84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2007, 02:11 AM   #6
akestler
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: the woodlands
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 27


Bike(s):
01zx6r yea i know sad









wow are u kiddin me (Marcu$Brooks)?
akestler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2007, 02:14 AM   #7
soap4life
Reverend
 
soap4life's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Northwest
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 1,961


Bike(s):
z1000









Send a message via AIM to soap4life
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcu$Brooks
you know how i know im ghey when i saw helmet all i thought of was used condoms
marcus you are gay
__________________
Time is simultaneous, An intricately structured jewel. That humans insist on viewing one edge at a time.
soap4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2007, 05:22 AM   #8
RACER X
what R you lookin' at?
 
RACER X's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Richmond, Tx
Feedback Rating: (26)
Posts: 33,503

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 8

Bike(s):
'14 Honda GROM! 181cc of fury!!
'10 Aprilia Tuono Factory-SOLD
'08 Busa - sold
A few more bought
A few more sold






Quote:
Originally Posted by alfonso1300
ive had a couple of other riders tell me. that if you drop your helmet from a 5 foot drop. the helmet wont "work" anymore. that it is only made to protect you once and one time only. is the true? i wouldnt ask if i didnt know.
FALSE

"I dropped my helmet! Do I have to go buy a new one?
Generally the answer is probably not. Helmets are one use items, but are quite durable otherwise, at least the ones we certify. Frequent dropping or spiking a helmet on the ground, or other hard surfaces may eventually degrade the helmet's performance. Similarly if the helmet falls to the ground at highway speeds unoccupied the owner must be aware that some degradation may have occurred. In general the real damage comes when the helmet contacts an object with a head inside. The Foundation recommends that if you are participating in an activity that requires that you wear a helmet, that you avoid hitting stuff with your head. It can be difficult to readily determine if a helmet has been damaged, and the protective capabilities compromised without a thorough inspection by a trained professional. Some manufacturers may provide this service or direct you to these others that can perform these inspections. The Foundation recommends that if you suspect your helmet may be compromised, then replace it. If the helmet has been involved in an impact while in use, replace it. "

http://www.smf.org/ <------SNELL Memorial foundation.
__________________
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
2014 GROM
181cc's BABY!
Trump/Zimmerman 2016
Make America Great Again!
RACER X is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2007, 05:29 AM   #9
less_than_coop
SBN BMF
 
less_than_coop's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Kerr County
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 6,261

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 2

Bike(s):
GSXR1000
2005 KTM 250sxf








^^BAM! Racer X'ed that question!

Thansks for the info!
__________________
"Faster, Faster! Until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death."--Dr. Hunter S. Thompson.
sausagecreature

Khaki shirt.
less_than_coop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2007, 06:12 AM   #10
RACER X
what R you lookin' at?
 
RACER X's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Richmond, Tx
Feedback Rating: (26)
Posts: 33,503

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 8

Bike(s):
'14 Honda GROM! 181cc of fury!!
'10 Aprilia Tuono Factory-SOLD
'08 Busa - sold
A few more bought
A few more sold






thats why i'm paid the big $, lol
__________________
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
2014 GROM
181cc's BABY!
Trump/Zimmerman 2016
Make America Great Again!
RACER X is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2007, 06:44 AM   #11
less_than_coop
SBN BMF
 
less_than_coop's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Kerr County
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 6,261

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 2

Bike(s):
GSXR1000
2005 KTM 250sxf








:notworthy all praise msf guru:notworthy
__________________
"Faster, Faster! Until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death."--Dr. Hunter S. Thompson.
sausagecreature

Khaki shirt.
less_than_coop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2007, 08:39 AM   #12
bumblebee
Yeah I'm flippin' YOU off
 
bumblebee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Pearland
Feedback Rating: (3)
Posts: 12,270


Bike(s):
'74 Suzuki GT380
'82 XS650 StreetTracker
'10 Ducati Streetfighter
'83 Yamaha Seca 900






Racer X is right. If your head is in the helmet when it hits the ground then it prolly should be replaced.
If it was empty then it'll be ok.
The impact in a crash is not absorbed by the shell, it is absorbed by the foam lining inside (not the soft comfy foam). The polystyrene foam in the helmet is usually painted black. If after an impact you can see little cracks in the black paint that indicates the foam was compressed by your head. The foam will only work once so that spot will no longer protect you as well as before.
The hard outer shell is mostly to hold the foam together and distribute the impact force over a wider area.
Bottom line... If you drop your helmet don't worry about it. Just cuss yourself for scratching expensive stuff.
bumblebee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2007, 08:41 AM   #13
A303
Senior Member
 
A303's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Stafford, Texas
Feedback Rating: (1)
Posts: 4,197

Experience: 5 years

Bike(s):
00 929rr(sold)/01 929rr









Send a message via AIM to A303
Quote:
Originally Posted by bumblebee
Racer X is right. If your head is in the helmet when it hits the ground then it prolly should be replaced.
If it was empty then it'll be ok.
The impact in a crash is not absorbed by the shell, it is absorbed by the foam lining inside (not the soft comfy foam). The polystyrene foam in the helmet is usually painted black. If after an impact you can see little cracks in the black paint that indicates the foam was compressed by your head. The foam will only work once so that spot will no longer protect you as well as before.
The hard outer shell is mostly to hold the foam together and distribute the impact force over a wider area.
Bottom line... If you drop your helmet don't worry about it. Just cuss yourself for scratching expensive stuff.

Yeah i dropped my x11 like a month after i got it:BangHead:
I was .
__________________
686069c4c860b9a550e843a7a3c102b279336
R.I.P.
Roger "Koskesh"
July 25, 1977 - April 22, 2007
You will be missed.
A303 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2007, 09:11 AM   #14
Patrick
Motorcycles Unlimited
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Houston
Feedback Rating: (2)
Posts: 16,368

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
'14 Speed Triple R, '82 CB900F, '13 Streetglide






Quote:
Originally Posted by RACER X
FALSE

"I dropped my helmet! Do I have to go buy a new one?
Generally the answer is probably not. Helmets are one use items, but are quite durable otherwise, at least the ones we certify. Frequent dropping or spiking a helmet on the ground, or other hard surfaces may eventually degrade the helmet's performance. Similarly if the helmet falls to the ground at highway speeds unoccupied the owner must be aware that some degradation may have occurred. In general the real damage comes when the helmet contacts an object with a head inside. The Foundation recommends that if you are participating in an activity that requires that you wear a helmet, that you avoid hitting stuff with your head. It can be difficult to readily determine if a helmet has been damaged, and the protective capabilities compromised without a thorough inspection by a trained professional. Some manufacturers may provide this service or direct you to these others that can perform these inspections. The Foundation recommends that if you suspect your helmet may be compromised, then replace it. If the helmet has been involved in an impact while in use, replace it. "

http://www.smf.org/ <------SNELL Memorial foundation.

+1
__________________
Call or PM for the BEST PRICES in Houston for PARTS and ACCESSORIES.
MAKE SURE TO MENTION YOU'RE ON MH TO GET THE BEST PRICE!

NEED GEAR? We have a great selection in stock but if we need to order it we GUARANTEE FIT!
Where Houston riders go to have their bikes worked on, done right the first time!


muad

1964 FM 1960 West
Houston, TX 77090
Hours: Tues.-Fri. 9:30-6:00 Sat. 9-5:30
www.motorcycles-unlimited.com
http://www.facebook.com/motorcyclesunlimited
e-mail: patrick@motorcycles-unlimited.com
Patrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2007, 04:30 PM   #15
Urban Ninja
Phuc Dat
 
Urban Ninja's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 327


Bike(s):
Yamaha FZR600









Just tape your hands to your lid man. But yea, it's your head. I'd rather spend 4 or 5 bills on a new helmet than bite the big one. Just my 2 cents.
__________________
Psycho Sexy
Urban Ninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2007, 01:31 PM   #16
NO MORE F4I
my hand hurts
 
NO MORE F4I's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: downtown h-town
Feedback Rating: (1)
Posts: 9,755

Experience: 5 years

Bike(s):
bikeless now
my bmx p.o.s.








hahaha mine still works fine, and its met mr.concrete on a number of occasions
__________________
It Drive On
NO MORE F4I is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Advertisement


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:45 AM.


MotoHouston.com is not responsible for the content posted by users.
Privacy Policy