Welcome back to us :/ Our hosts data center was down for the entire day.
MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

View Poll Results: Where Would You Rather Ride?
Deal's Gap 12 30.00%
Arkansas/Missouri 18 45.00%
Hill Country 7 17.50%
The chair behind a keyboard 3 7.50%
Voters: 40. You may not vote on this poll

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 08-06-2015, 06:24 PM   #21
pinball
I got slow

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 4 years
Trackdays: 2

Big dirt bike (sold)
2003 Honda Sabre (sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seawall View Post
my vote is the Ozarks just because it is closer and i'll probably do deals gap after. but which ever between the two is all good with me. Or or or maybe pikes peak? anyone? anyone?
Colorado is on the list, but right now I don't have a bike I'd want to take up there. One is a behemoth that I threw around TN/NC a few years back. It took it just fine, but it wore me out. Other bike is carbureted, and I don't want to re-jet just for one trip. As-is, it's good for elevations up to about 5500', which covers the Gap and Ozarks. Maybe one of these days I'll pick up an FZ1 or Tuono 1000R for Colorado.
pinball is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Southeast meet to ride to 2/22/2014 noob ride in the cpuntry zx6r-25580 Events, Meets and Rides 17 02-23-2014 02:16 AM
Too Broke to Ride MSRH w/ Ride Smart this weekend? I'll cover half. cyon Taking it to the Track 57 07-12-2013 09:00 PM
CENTERAL meet ride to: Nooooooooob!!!!!!!! SW Sunday Ride. 7/22 little6 Events, Meets and Rides 11 07-21-2012 07:46 PM
BENEFIT Ride - April 16th (Lindsay Foundation - ride for the bear) KSims1868 General Discussion (Moto Related) 5 04-11-2011 08:10 AM
RIDE RIDE RIDE. Southeast Side. bane_shecker Stunters Lounge 5 12-03-2010 07:10 AM
Advertisement
Old 08-06-2015, 06:26 PM   #22
bdmpastx
The Cripple

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
2009 Nissan GTR - sold
2015 Nissan GTR

Ozarks has the best riding in the country
Liked this post:
Old 08-06-2015, 06:32 PM   #23
pinball
I got slow

Big dirt bike (sold)
2003 Honda Sabre (sold)

I've been up there twice in a cage. Passengers kept talking about the view, but I just wanted my bike.
Old 08-06-2015, 07:26 PM   #24
x-ray
CMRA #228

Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 9 years

Bike(s):
2015 KTM Super Adventure
2007 SV650S (My track toy)
07 CRF230F
2006 VFR800a (sold - covered a lot of miles)
04 Honda 599 (sold)

I've done all 3 on the list, some multiple times but Arkansas was just the western half and parts of Oklahoma. The Gap is easily my favorite and the Dragon is crazy twisty and tight. It's fun fast or slow and I was surprised how often I had to use 1st gear on my VFR. But do it during the week then explore the rest of the area. Everything up there is either twisty, flowing, scenic, or all of the above. There are dams and waterfalls to explore if you're into that thing and you can ride over to Cherokee and even sample part of the Blue Ridge Parkway. Yes, it can get a bit crowded especially weekends, but then again you meet SO MANY riders and neat rides (and cars too) that it's a ton of fun. If you go there only to go fast, you'll miss out. I've ridden the VFR there twice and trailered too. It's about 1000 miles and the first 800 are BORING freeway unless you want to take forever to get there!

Some Arkansas roads remind me of the Gap in some ways but more spread out. The Pig Trail has several switchbacks like the Dragon but the road surface left something to be desired when I was there (2 years ago). There also seemed to be more slow cars to get behind. I think it's 16 that runs east/west and it reminded me a lot about the Cherohala Skyway at the Gap with not quite as much elevation change.

Hill country is fun, less crowded and fairly close but it seems like you spend more time going in a straight line between the good roads. Not saying it aint fun though.
07 Suzuki SV650s - CMRA #228
x-ray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2015, 07:51 PM   #25
bdmpastx
The Cripple

Bike(s):
2009 Nissan GTR - sold
2015 Nissan GTR

You guys need to ride northern Arkansas it's definitely better. Hey 7 is pretty awesome too. Arkansas is full of some great roads. I've also been just about everywhere as well.
Old 08-06-2015, 08:54 PM   #26
RECIT

I've been to two of the three, no gap yet. SE Oklahoma, NW Arkansas, and SW Missouri are some of the best roads I've ever ridden.
RECIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2015, 10:30 PM   #27
x-ray
CMRA #228

Feedback Rating: (1)

Bike(s):
2015 KTM Super Adventure
2007 SV650S (My track toy)
07 CRF230F
2006 VFR800a (sold - covered a lot of miles)
04 Honda 599 (sold)

Oh, and I voted Arkansas for the poll.
07 Suzuki SV650s - CMRA #228
x-ray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2015, 10:47 PM   #28
pinball
I got slow

Big dirt bike (sold)
2003 Honda Sabre (sold)

Looks like Arkansas will be the destination of choice. I'll start hashing out the details and will be shooting for sometime in May. It will most likely be a weekday ride to avoid tourist travelers and to make sure the locals are at work. As of now, I have a four day trip in mind. One up there, two full days of riding, and one day back. This might be an up Sunday and back Wednesday trip. Nine hours from Houston to the base camp I have in mind at the moment, but that's part of the details I have to hash out.
Old 08-07-2015, 01:20 AM   #29
texlurch
Official MH tag inspector

Feedback Rating: (2)

Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
04 ZX-10R
02 ZX-12R BOTM 12/11
00 ZX-12R
07 GSXR 600
00 TL1000R BOTM 07/12 (sold)

Member Garage

Deals Gap is only fun on weekdays and non-summer. Arkansas just because its been awhile...
Anyone wants to come up to CO I have plenty of room and good roads to play on.
.... Home of the "Black Ninja's"
texlurch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2015, 08:59 AM   #30
Repth
Keyboard Warrior

Experience: 2 years

Bike(s):
'14 Street Triple R

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinball View Post
Looks like Arkansas will be the destination of choice. I'll start hashing out the details and will be shooting for sometime in May. It will most likely be a weekday ride to avoid tourist travelers and to make sure the locals are at work. As of now, I have a four day trip in mind. One up there, two full days of riding, and one day back. This might be an up Sunday and back Wednesday trip. Nine hours from Houston to the base camp I have in mind at the moment, but that's part of the details I have to hash out.
If it's open invite, I'm in. Doing the hill country and then turning right around and riding the Gap was the most fun I've ever had in my entire life. I need more!
Old 08-07-2015, 11:38 AM   #31
Jae
Kilted Basterd

Feedback Rating: (9)

Bike(s):
Naked Sprint
Russian POS
Angry Max/Tub
Pile o' Hyosungs

Member Garage

I voted Arkansas just because I haven't ridden much there. Western Colorado was a blast when we went through a couple of years ago and I'm working on plans for a trip to make it back up.
Old 08-07-2015, 01:40 PM   #32
urbanXJ
erect engorged member

Bike(s):
2008 Versys

big bend

less people
urbanXJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 06:35 PM   #33
A_G

Experience: 8 years
Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
fz8
chinese dirtbike
87 Yamaha venture Royale (Destroyed)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seawall View Post
my vote is the Ozarks just because it is closer and i'll probably do deals gap after. but which ever between the two is all good with me. Or or or maybe pikes peak? anyone? anyone?
Pikes peak, the actual ride is neat but 20 mph max and the rangers are fairly prevalent. Lots of good roads around there though, actually tons of them

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinball View Post
Buffalo river bunkhouse is where i stayed at in jasper when i was down last time. Fairly cheap, off the main roads so when ya trying to sleep at night you dont hear the race crew flying by.

Neat area, beautiful and somewhat dangerous. Tons of road, i was there 2 days and did something like 400 miles, there was more to be seen but i came down a day late due to work. Get up early and hit the roads, beat the wild hog guys
A_G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 09:24 PM   #34
SixGixx
TXSR Organizer, CMRA #323

Bike(s):
14 Ducati Monster 1200 S
07 Suzuki GSX-R 600 -Race-
02 Yamaha FZ-1 (SOLD)

Member Garage

I make a trip out to Tail of The Dragon every year. Its awesome place and there are plenty of roads there that are just as curvy and have faster speed limits. The main reason Tail of The Dragon gets slot more attention is because it doesn't have houses or any intersections for that 11 miles and 318 curves.
SixGixx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 07:46 AM   #35
Track_Graphics

Round Top Dr. Honolulu
Old 08-11-2015, 08:07 AM   #36
Repth
Keyboard Warrior

Experience: 2 years

Bike(s):
'14 Street Triple R

Quote:
Originally Posted by SixGixx View Post
I make a trip out to Tail of The Dragon every year. Its awesome place and there are plenty of roads there that are just as curvy and have faster speed limits. The main reason Tail of The Dragon gets slot more attention is because it doesn't have houses or any intersections for that 11 miles and 318 curves.
It just has people that want to exit the road every quarter mile to take pictures...
Old 08-24-2015, 05:58 PM   #37
Mr.P
Driving Duh-Bus

Feedback Rating: (5)

Bike(s):
CBR1000RR

ARKANSAS. I'm in. It's been over 10 years since my last spirited sportbike ride up there. No Noobs, LOL!!!

Advertisement