MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 08-04-2015, 11:23 AM   #41
wh!plash

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 3

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMAX View Post
theyll do just fine.

have you takn MSF?
You're joking right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volfy View Post
They might offer a little light impact protection but they are still mostly about abrasion resistance.
Negative. Good motorcycle-specific boots offer some level ankle crush resistance and hyper-extension protection. Neither of which is offered by a thin layer of fashion leather.

Last edited by wh!plash; 08-04-2015 at 11:25 AM.
wh!plash is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Moto X proasian3 Off Topic 12 09-05-2013 01:00 PM
Moto M.D. MONSTERZX9 General Discussion (Moto Related) 2 07-10-2011 12:28 AM
★Moto Insurance, Moto-Houston.com t-shirts are in.. TnTEntR1 Moto Insurance 2 05-22-2011 01:11 AM
Hello moto MudBug Off Topic 40 09-03-2009 07:33 AM
Who here has a Moto Q? Patrick Off Topic 19 03-09-2008 10:53 PM
Advertisement
Old 08-04-2015, 01:12 PM   #42
TMAX
Forever MODERATE

Feedback Rating: (1)

Trackdays: 4

Bike(s):
TMAX (Retired in California)
Xciting 500
XT 225
Duke 2
C14 & FZ6

Quote:
Originally Posted by wh!plash View Post
You're joking right?

Negative. Good motorcycle-specific boots offer some level ankle crush resistance and hyper-extension protection. Neither of which is offered by a thin layer of fashion leather.
nope.

ive put over 150000 miles on lace up boots...and you?
Old 08-04-2015, 01:22 PM   #43
RACER X
what R you lookin' at?

Feedback Rating: (26)

Trackdays: 8

Bike(s):
'14 Honda GROM! 181cc of fury!!
'10 Aprilia Tuono Factory-SOLD
'08 Busa - sold
A few more bought
A few more sold

Riding miles is not when crash protection shows merit, lol
Trump/Zimmerman 2016
Make America Great Again!
RACER X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2015, 01:26 PM   #44
TMAX
Forever MODERATE

Bike(s):
Xciting 500
XT 225
Duke 2
C14 & FZ6

Quote:
Originally Posted by RACER X View Post
haha yess it does
Old 08-04-2015, 03:11 PM   #45
wh!plash

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by RACER X View Post
+1

Miles ridden has nothing to do with the fact that motorcycle-specific boots will in many circumstances prevent or drastically reduce the damage that would otherwise be done to your foot or ankle. They have a hard shell that protects your heel, and structural support that resists twisting hyper-extension.

In reality, racing style boots are probably the most effective piece of gear you can buy. For instance, the nicest jacket in the world won't keep you from breaking a collarbone, ribs, or doing other damage to your shoulder. But when was the last time you saw somebody crash in a pair of Supertechs and come out with a broken ankle?

If you want to squid it in dress boots, then that's your deal. But don't sit here trying to tell me that they're just as good as motorcycle-specific boots.
Old 08-04-2015, 03:25 PM   #46
False

Quote:
Originally Posted by Photographer View Post
I got my AlpineStars Monty boots yesterday. They run very true to size. I usually wear an 11, but had them order a 10.5,11,11.5. 11 fit perfectly.

They were a little stiff, in riding position, but I think after a few more conditionings and sweating in them, the leather will loosen up.

So far no issues, And I might consider a black pair.
How do they fit compared to SIDI? No venting at all on them, how were they in the heat?
False is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2015, 03:29 PM   #47
TMAX
Forever MODERATE

Bike(s):
Xciting 500
XT 225
Duke 2
C14 & FZ6

Quote:
Originally Posted by wh!plash View Post
+1

Miles ridden has nothing to do with the fact that motorcycle-specific boots will in many circumstances prevent or drastically reduce the damage that would otherwise be done to your foot or ankle. They have a hard shell that protects your heel, and structural support that resists twisting hyper-extension.

In reality, racing style boots are probably the most effective piece of gear you can buy. For instance, the nicest jacket in the world won't keep you from breaking a collarbone, ribs, or doing other damage to your shoulder. But when was the last time you saw somebody crash in a pair of Supertechs and come out with a broken ankle?

If you want to squid it in dress boots, then that's your deal. But don't sit here trying to tell me that they're just as good as motorcycle-specific boots.
150000 miles and counting. it has like preventative powers bro..
Old 08-04-2015, 05:48 PM   #48
wh!plash

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMAX View Post
150000 miles and counting. it has like preventative powers bro..
Yeah so what, I've got over 10 years, 15+ bikes, and knows how many miles. Has nothing to do with the mechanics of human physiology as it relates to force trauma.

Since you're apparently new to this whole logic thing, let me give you a few pointers. If you want to effectively win a debate, it helps to make a point or bring evidence that actually directly relates to the other person's claim (and hopefully contradicts it). In this case, help me understand how purpose-designed motorcycle boots offer no significant mechanical benefit to dress boots.

But instead, you've committed the "red herring" logical fallacy by redirecting your argument to another unrelated issue where you feel you have a better position (in this case, the number of miles you've ridden).

I kind of feel bad since you brought a knife to a gunfight here, but I'm also not a big fan of people giving "safety opinions" to other people when it comes to motorcycles. They're inherently dangerous, and people have to knowingly accept the risk. The "it'll never happen to me so I'll skip wearing proper gear" thing is what gets people into trouble.
Liked this post:
Old 08-04-2015, 06:04 PM   #49
RACER X
what R you lookin' at?

Feedback Rating: (26)

Trackdays: 8

Bike(s):
'14 Honda GROM! 181cc of fury!!
'10 Aprilia Tuono Factory-SOLD
'08 Busa - sold
A few more bought
A few more sold

You've been trolled, lol

Not by the best even
Trump/Zimmerman 2016
Make America Great Again!
RACER X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2015, 10:43 PM   #50
Deadfred
Drop Dead or Die Trying

Feedback Rating: (2)

Experience: 9 years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
Ducati EVO

Quote:
Originally Posted by False View Post
How do they fit compared to SIDI? No venting at all on them, how were they in the heat?
I had zero issues this morning. However, after work today I went directly to dinner with my lady.

Tomorrow I will commute home during rush hour, which would probably be a much better indication.

I will say that after wearing them all day at work and a 65 mile round trip commute I do not have any foot pain.
Deadfred is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisement