MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 07-25-2015, 11:24 PM   #1
Lunchbox6

Feedback Rating: (0)

Weird thing happened today.

I'm selling my bike. Some guy lowballs me and offers some bullshit trade in leu of the cash he was low. I said no. Later he says he got the rest of the cash and wants to come pick up the bike. He is supposedly an hour away, but takes him 2 to get here. Then he rolls up in a $50,000 truck, keep in mind he was saying he couldn't get an extra $300, and soon is looking at the bike. He had sat inside his truck for about 8-10 minutes before actually getting out to look though. Really weird. Then he starts telling me how he had mixed up bikes and thought he was talking to someone else about a different bike. But still wanted to look at mine. Has me start it, then asks me if he can take it for a ride to see how it rides. I tell him if he puts the money in my hand he can but until then he was free to look and sit on it all he wanted. He insisted that he had the money in his truck etc. I told him I would take it up and down the street but without cash in my hand he wasn't taking it anywhere. He tells me he wants to think about it and drives off, later he texts and says he doesn't want it.
I kinda am wondering if he was just trying to steal my bike. I don't think I was wrong about not letting some random guy take off on my bike. Was I?
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Weird thing happened to me in Norway, strangers showed up at 2 AM.... eltejano Off Topic 24 10-31-2013 02:36 AM
Funny thing happened to me at lunch today... dhdrider Taking it to the Track 12 10-13-2008 06:53 AM
funny thing happened at 24 hour fitness at sage rd. flip326 General Discussion (Moto Related) 25 07-12-2007 02:50 AM
What happened to me today CarbonJames General Discussion (Moto Related) 42 05-14-2007 06:59 PM
Advertisement
Old 07-26-2015, 12:15 AM   #2
Lunchbox6

Oh and I just remembered he was asking about the weight. It's a cruiser. Does it even matter?
Old 07-26-2015, 12:39 AM   #3
BuckNut
Banned

Experience: 1-3 months
Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
Huffy
None
None
None

User is banned

BuckNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2015, 12:40 AM   #4
Lunchbox6

A younger guy was there in the truck.
Old 07-26-2015, 12:42 AM   #5
Squidly

Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 2

Bike(s):
2015 KTM SuperDuke 1290

He rides off on bike, guy in truck jets off. You did the right thing.
Squidly is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked this post:
Old 07-26-2015, 12:44 AM   #6
Lunchbox6

That's kinda what I figured. I put the bike right outside my bedroom window and am staying up a bit. Just feel like some might go down. Got my 12g on standby.
Old 07-26-2015, 02:09 AM   #7
Nastynesto85
Richard Serdown

Experience: 9 years
Trackdays: 3

Bike(s):
Dual sport 14 ninja zx6r
06 cbr 600rr (sold)
05 cbr 600rr (sold)
04 Ducati ss800 (sold)
02 gsxr 600 (sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunchbox6 View Post
That's kinda what I figured. I put the bike right outside my bedroom window and am staying up a bit. Just feel like some might go down. Got my 12g on standby.
Super sketchy and sounds like he was just churching you up to distract you from the fact that he needed to find out where the bike is located and also to see if the bike runs or will need to be loaded up into a truck or van etc. , also probably needed to see if it was garaged or left out in the open. Be extra careful and roll that thing inside your house or apartment for a few weeks . I would also have snapped a pic of the truck and its license plates . And the guy as well if possible

I'm extra cautious of like that and also I never ever let anyone know where I live for a buy or sale , I always meet them around the corner or a little down the road and I also have someone post up In a vehicle with a clear line of view to watch the transaction and make sure they don't follow me home if they dont buy the item I am selling , that's where the pics of license plates and people come from . You can never be to careful these days I never ever meet someone alone . Although I tell them I will but I don't

If it's got or tires , it's going to cost you
Nastynesto85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2015, 08:01 AM   #8
pbfoot

Bike(s):
2006 Kawasaki ZG1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nastynesto85 View Post
Super sketchy and sounds like he was just churching you up to distract you from the fact that he needed to find out where the bike is located and also to see if the bike runs or will need to be loaded up into a truck or van etc. , also probably needed to see if it was garaged or left out in the open. Be extra careful and roll that thing inside your house or apartment for a few weeks . I would also have snapped a pic of the truck and its license plates . And the guy as well if possible

I'm extra cautious of like that and also I never ever let anyone know where I live for a buy or sale , I always meet them around the corner or a little down the road and I also have someone post up In a vehicle with a clear line of view to watch the transaction and make sure they don't follow me home if they dont buy the item I am selling , that's where the pics of license plates and people come from . You can never be to careful these days I never ever meet someone alone . Although I tell them I will but I don't
This. Danger not over yet.
pbfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2015, 08:03 AM   #9
Lunchbox6

Bikes still here. I have a lot of cars in my driveway. Probably going to box it in today. Just for good measure.
Old 07-26-2015, 09:17 AM   #10
flipstyledsm22
Lets go fishing!

Feedback Rating: (2)

Bike(s):
1994 FLSTC Pro-Street Chopper
1964 Tote Gote
2003 GSXR600 - SOLD
2004 ZX6R - SOLD
1986 VFR750 - SOLD

Send a message via Yahoo to flipstyledsm22
Nesto is right... It really sounds like he was planning his attack with his boy, but your hesitation push them off course too much so they probably were spooked and backed away. If this is what happened, they might come back.

Or it was a coincidence and he was trying to lowball you in a weird way, but it didn't work to his advantage and he ended up spooking you instead.

Next time snap pictures of buyer and get license plates.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gixxerbill View Post
I hate perma bans they are sooo...permanent.
flipstyledsm22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2015, 09:26 AM   #11
BigComfy

Feedback Rating: (3)

Experience: 1-3 months
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
SV1k (sold)
CRB6 Track Bike (sold)
Daytona 1200 (parted)
1st Gen FZ1 (sold)
1st Gen SV650 (sold)

Member Garage

Never meet someone you don't know (someone off of CL or the like) at your residence or place of business. Meet them in front of the local police department or another public place. Do you really want them to know where you live and come back later? Be safe out there.
Old 07-26-2015, 09:27 AM   #12
J.J. McQuade
DORC MEMBER

Experience: 4 years

Bike(s):
2008 Ducati Multi-Strada 1100S
1993 Ducati 900SS (Designated Sweeper)
Acura NSX-T Type R

Member Garage

Where did the list the bike for sale? Craigslist I assume! I would take it off there if I were you if that is where it is listed. List the bike on MH, Cycle Trader, or Two Wheel Texas. Too many shady characters on CL in my opinion. Most legitimate and honest buyers know protocols for inspecting and test riding a potential purchase.
Old 07-26-2015, 09:27 AM   #13
Lunchbox6

Yeah, I normally don't. But I wasnt thinking and need to sell the thing to pay child support. :(
Old 07-26-2015, 09:50 AM   #14
flipstyledsm22
Lets go fishing!

Feedback Rating: (2)

Bike(s):
1994 FLSTC Pro-Street Chopper
1964 Tote Gote
2003 GSXR600 - SOLD
2004 ZX6R - SOLD
1986 VFR750 - SOLD

Send a message via Yahoo to flipstyledsm22
Quote:
Yeah, I normally don't. But I wasnt thinking and need to sell the thing to pay child support. :(
Your good bro, you can sell it wherever you please. Just be cautious and protect yourself. You did good, but next time meet somewhere and take the extra measures to have a successful sale.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gixxerbill View Post
I hate perma bans they are sooo...permanent.
flipstyledsm22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2015, 11:57 PM   #15
Los
Gang Member

Feedback Rating: (7)

Bike(s):
'04 Yamaha R6 Edition
'14 Yamaha R6

Send a message via AIM to Los
Quote:
Are you saying the bike is visible at night? Park that thing in the garage or your house if you need to. Don't take the chance of leaving it outside. I hope I'm reading this wrong.
Old 07-27-2015, 12:38 AM   #16
pinball
I got slow

Experience: 4 years
Trackdays: 2

Big dirt bike (sold)
2003 Honda Sabre (sold)

Yeah...sketchy as . Was selling a cruiser a few years back. Dude's wife kept contacting me for my address so her husband could show up and look at it. Absolutely refused to meet me in a public place. Figured it was a case job and they were looking to steal it.
pinball is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015, 12:40 AM   #17
Lunchbox6

Word. I can't get it inside but I have enough vehicles to block it in against the house. Lol
Old 07-27-2015, 12:56 AM   #18
r6racer
track

Feedback Rating: (4)

Experience: 2 years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
2008 Yamaha R6 Race/track
2012 Yamaha WGP R6
2004 Kawasaki KLx250 2-stroke
2008 Yamaha R6 Street *Sold*
2005 Yamaha R6 Track *Sold*

Member Garage

Go with your gut feeling with people in general with anything.

I wish someone would try to steal one of my bikes.
r6racer is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisement