Welcome back to us :/ Our hosts data center was down for the entire day.
MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > Information > Events, Meets and Rides
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 07-25-2015, 10:21 AM   #121
pbfoot

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
2006 Kawasaki ZG1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMAX View Post
wtf?
Please explain your rear braking first in an emergency.
pbfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
makes me pucker urbanXJ General Discussion (Moto Related) 15 07-28-2010 11:07 AM
PUCKER! RACER X Off Topic 8 12-16-2009 08:50 AM
What is your pucker speed? bluewave18 General Discussion (Moto Related) 101 03-12-2009 10:11 PM
Pucker factor! Valkorin New Riders and MSF Course Info 2 12-30-2008 11:05 PM
Pucker Moment Phatso General Discussion (Moto Related) 28 09-10-2008 08:44 AM
Advertisement
Old 07-25-2015, 10:45 AM   #122
TMAX
Forever MODERATE

Feedback Rating: (1)

Trackdays: 4

Bike(s):
TMAX (Retired in California)
Xciting 500
XT 225
Duke 2
C14 & FZ6

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbfoot View Post
Please explain your rear braking first in an emergency.
so like has been stated by the front brake only crowd, start on the front the forks will compress and the back end will start coming up.
Old 07-25-2015, 10:47 AM   #123
Repth
Keyboard Warrior

Experience: 2 years
Trackdays: 2

Bike(s):
'14 Street Triple R

Quote:
Originally Posted by rccarlson22 View Post
Angry because you realize your theoretical situations don't apply to the real world?

Bottom line, your front brakes do the work. But if you insist otherwise have fun with that
No, you just keep spewing bullshit generalizations and trying to back them up with physics and getting it all wrong. It's like you think I'm sitting here advocating that people don't use their front brake, or that front brakes don't work better under hard braking, or that the front brake will always work better on sport bikes with high CoM regardless of how soft the braking is. You just made a generalization which is still untrue and you lack the understanding of physics to even explain why you think that it is always true. Read the PDF. Look at the first graph. The best way to explain it is this: for total values over .65 (we're talking about the numbers next to the curve), the wheels are locked up and thus it's totally irrelevant to consider any increased braking force after that because the wheels are locked. Under values of ~.2, the rear brake is more effective (the curve is closed to the x axis than the y axis). So for 1/3 the braking force the bike is capable of, the rear brake is more effective.

I'm not trying to convince people that their rear brake should be their go-to. I'm just saying that for some bikes under some conditions of acceleration there will be a higher possible stopping power from the rear than the front, and it is fully evident in that study just in case the physics is not intuitive about why a lower and more rearward CoM would lead to less load shift.

You might find this book useful:

Last edited by Repth; 07-25-2015 at 10:52 AM.
Repth is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2015, 10:57 AM   #124
pbfoot

Bike(s):
2006 Kawasaki ZG1000

Quote:
im workin till 3! i was thinkin of gettin a room down in seabrook forbthe night. ill buzz ya

renos!
I did not know Motohouston was a gay hookup site. Live and learn.
Old 07-25-2015, 11:05 AM   #125
pigfarmer
Banned

Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
Salsa Horsethief
Paugcho bobber

User is banned

pigfarmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2015, 11:07 AM   #126
TMAX
Forever MODERATE

Bike(s):
Xciting 500
XT 225
Duke 2
C14 & FZ6

Quote:
your mind is in the gutter noob
Old 07-25-2015, 11:07 AM   #127
pbfoot

Bike(s):
2006 Kawasaki ZG1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by pigfarmer View Post
I'll be your Pucker Factor...

Pucker Factor 10.0
Old 07-25-2015, 11:24 AM   #128
rccarlson22

Experience: 3 years

Bike(s):
2013 Ducati Diavel
2006 Suziki GSXR 600
2002 Kawasaki KX250
1996 Kawasaki KLX 650

Quote:
Originally Posted by Repth View Post
No, you just keep spewing bullshit generalizations and trying to back them up with physics and getting it all wrong. It's like you think I'm sitting here advocating that people don't use their front brake, or that front brakes don't work better under hard braking, or that the front brake will always work better on sport bikes with high CoM regardless of how soft the braking is. You just made a generalization which is still untrue and you lack the understanding of physics to even explain why you think that it is always true. Read the PDF. Look at the first graph. The best way to explain it is this: for total values over .65 (we're talking about the numbers next to the curve), the wheels are locked up and thus it's totally irrelevant to consider any increased braking force after that because the wheels are locked. Under values of ~.2, the rear brake is more effective (the curve is closed to the x axis than the y axis). So for 1/3 the braking force the bike is capable of, the rear brake is more effective.

I'm not trying to convince people that their rear brake should be their go-to. I'm just saying that for some bikes under some conditions of acceleration there will be a higher possible stopping power from the rear than the front, and it is fully evident in that study just in case the physics is not intuitive about why a lower and more rearward CoM would lead to less load shift.

Statics For Dummies: James H. Allen III: 9780470598948: Amazon.com: Books

You sound like an engineer. Always going to theoretical situations and trying to calculate how it all works. And then you're hurt when people tell you something else.

Here's a tip: ride some other bikes, get seat time on different styles. You've ridden how many bikes? How many miles hAve you logged on bikes? How many tracks have you been to? Then get back with me on how braking works for motorcycles

Last edited by rccarlson22; 07-25-2015 at 11:27 AM.
rccarlson22 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2015, 11:31 AM   #129
pbfoot

Bike(s):
2006 Kawasaki ZG1000

Quote:
your mind is in the gutter noob
Old 07-25-2015, 11:38 AM   #130
TMAX
Forever MODERATE

Bike(s):
Xciting 500
XT 225
Duke 2
C14 & FZ6

Quote:
You sound like an engineer. Always going to theoretical situations and trying to calculate how it all works. And then you're hurt when people tell you something else.

Here's a tip: ride some other bikes, get seat time on different styles. You've ridden how many bikes? How many miles hAve you logged on bikes? How many tracks have you been to? Then get back with me on how braking works for motorcycles
haha you are so wrong. as in wrong bout the rear brake
Old 07-25-2015, 11:45 AM   #131
rccarlson22

Bike(s):
2013 Ducati Diavel
2006 Suziki GSXR 600
2002 Kawasaki KX250
1996 Kawasaki KLX 650

Quote:
haha you are so wrong. as in wrong bout the rear brake
Enlighten me
Old 07-25-2015, 11:49 AM   #132
Repth
Keyboard Warrior

Experience: 2 years
Trackdays: 2

Bike(s):
'14 Street Triple R

Quote:
Enlighten me
Not that I agree with Tmax, but it's pretty clear you have no desire to be enlightened. Someone can lay the facts right out on the table and your response will be "lol guess you should ride more bikes noob" and defer to your own experience as absolute truth, not possibly leaving open the possibility that there are scenarios where your instincts may actually be wrong.
Old 07-25-2015, 11:53 AM   #133
VicTOEmizer

Feedback Rating: (3)

Bike(s):
rc51 (sold)
TTR 125 :)
Buell xb12r (sold)
2013 z1000 (sold)
Ducati multistrada :)

Quote:

Statics For Dummies: James H. Allen III: 9780470598948: Amazon.com: Books
You are correct, but your argument excludes 99.9% of the vehicles on the road. Lol
Old 07-25-2015, 11:54 AM   #134
VicTOEmizer

Feedback Rating: (3)

Bike(s):
rc51 (sold)
TTR 125 :)
Buell xb12r (sold)
2013 z1000 (sold)
Ducati multistrada :)

Quote:
Have you met the owner?
Old 07-25-2015, 11:55 AM   #135
TMAX
Forever MODERATE

Bike(s):
Xciting 500
XT 225
Duke 2
C14 & FZ6

Quote:
Enlighten me
well maybe you ought log more miles
Old 07-25-2015, 11:56 AM   #136
TMAX
Forever MODERATE

Bike(s):
Xciting 500
XT 225
Duke 2
C14 & FZ6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toe View Post
Have you met the owner?
haha was gonna say that but i dont know chris like that, just heresay.
Old 07-25-2015, 11:56 AM   #137
pbfoot

Bike(s):
2006 Kawasaki ZG1000

Quote:
Not that I agree with Tmax, but it's pretty clear you have no desire to be enlightened. Someone can lay the facts right out on the table and your response will be "lol guess you should ride more bikes noob" and defer to your own experience as absolute truth, not possibly leaving open the possibility that there are scenarios where your instincts may actually be wrong.
I think the real question here is advocating front or rear braking only. Even on a bike with a rear biased COM, combined braking will ALWAYS stop a bike faster. PERIOD!!!!! I have been riding for 39 years, everything from dirt, cruisers, crotch rockets, choppers, etc.... They all stopped better with combined braking.
Liked this post:
Old 07-25-2015, 11:58 AM   #138
rccarlson22

Bike(s):
2013 Ducati Diavel
2006 Suziki GSXR 600
2002 Kawasaki KX250
1996 Kawasaki KLX 650

Quote:

If you had some real life experience combined with your theory I'd be more open but you're just repeating what you read.

If TMAX has some info or first hand experience to share I'm all ears. The entire thread I've made the assertion you should USE BOTH YOUR BRAKES for maximum stopping power, but the front brake does more of the work than the rear. I've ridden different styles of bikes with very different weight distributions and that holds true for them all. You're sitting here with your calculator in hand trying to convince me there is a bike out there that relies more heavily on the rear brake, solely based on your theory of it

Just accept it, why is it so hard for you engineers?
Old 07-25-2015, 11:59 AM   #139
TMAX
Forever MODERATE

Bike(s):
Xciting 500
XT 225
Duke 2
C14 & FZ6

Quote:
whats not to agree with? if you dont then you are wrong
Old 07-25-2015, 12:00 PM   #140
rccarlson22

Bike(s):
2013 Ducati Diavel
2006 Suziki GSXR 600
2002 Kawasaki KX250
1996 Kawasaki KLX 650

Quote:
well maybe you ought log more miles
I've logged 61.5k to date...on about 15 or so bikes. How many more shoulf I shoot for before I find one where the rear brake works better?

Advertisement