MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 07-23-2015, 01:30 PM   #1
silverslug00

Feedback Rating: (0)

Member Garage

Bike wrap vs paint

I'm thinking of getting my bike redone and was suggested I try bike wraps. I'm wondering what's the pros\cons to wraps and pro/cons to paint?
silverslug00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
How much paint to do a whole bike? exalted512 General Discussion (Moto Related) 43 07-29-2011 09:44 AM
Bike Paint. TJHouston General Discussion (Moto Related) 5 12-14-2010 01:00 AM
getting complete vinyl wrap on my bike rider4life General Discussion (Moto Related) 43 08-22-2010 02:21 AM
should i paint my bike? PimpRice General Discussion (Moto Related) 30 07-21-2008 01:57 PM
How much to paint my bike???? Zishan How To's and Q & A's 3 09-30-2006 01:50 AM
Advertisement
Old 07-23-2015, 01:45 PM   #2
sbfuller
the crotch-rocketeer!

Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
2006 Hayabusa (totaled)2007 Hayabusa, 2004 CRF 50

a wrap is pretty easy to keep clean, but it's hard for them to get it to stick in the hard curves. after 2 years the wrap will start to look worn and can fade, the paint wont. a wrap is much softer and can scratch more easily
sbfuller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2015, 01:45 PM   #3
Schooley
Herpagonnaisyphalitis

Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
ZX6R

Well, with wraps its obvious. If you want a change just peel it off. Wraps are pretty hard to do yourself but if you do your research and order some extra material to practice with you should be able to accomplish it.
Schooley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2015, 02:39 PM   #4
cbr600F4

Experience: 2 years

What does a wrap cost on a bike?

Need to know where my pricing compares

Owner - Texas Hydrographics
www.texashg.com
cbr600F4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2015, 04:03 PM   #5
silverslug00

Member Garage

I found a company online that does wraps for my bike and it's $400. I got a quote for paint job from rush bikes and he said 500-700 plus cost of paint
silverslug00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2015, 04:10 PM   #6
signpimp

Feedback Rating: (1)

Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
2002 klx110

Send a message via MSN to signpimp
wraps can be relatively cheap or expensive. Depends on how much design time gets put into the complete effort. Installation is usually done by the sq.ft. of material to be installed and a charge for cleanup/preparation. The wrap material is also sold by the square foot.

the care for a wrap is about the same as a custom paint job. extra gentle. You can wax the wrap just like paint. If it is installed correctly, you should not have any problem areas. we use a primer glue and edge sealer for problem areas. There are also some things that you just can't get around. Depending on the graphics, your tank will most likely have to be done in 3 pieces. The tail section may also have to be done in two pieces. It depends on the artwork. It is sometimes very difficult to align the graphics correctly because you are stretching the artwork as you are installing it. I honestly think this is why bike wraps never really took off. It is difficult if you want it to look like a custom paint job. And you can get a single color throw down paint job pretty cheap these days.
signpimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2015, 10:41 AM   #7
cbr600F4

Experience: 2 years

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverslug00 View Post
I found a company online that does wraps for my bike and it's $400. I got a quote for paint job from rush bikes and he said 500-700 plus cost of paint
I can beat 500-700 easy if we are just talking paint and that is including standard base colors. Of course if you are going to shoot some crazy candy paint then you have pick up that cost.

This is for another member on here. This is just to heat treat plastics, prime, base coats, clear coats. He is doing flat grey with black hi gloss accents.

"I a ran some figures and what I did is just basically remove the hydro film cost of each peice.

Also, attached the the flat grey I will order if we go ahead and move forward. Lead time to complete will be about a week depending on how fast I can prep the pieces.
$100 Tank
$150 Wheels
$50 Rear Cowl
$40 Front Fender
$100 Fairings
$440.00 = Total"

**each piece is ready to go and no blasting required with this job** Having to blast anything takes time and time is money.

I shoot auto grade matrix systems clear and that stuff is solid to protect the base color coats.

Hit me up!

Owner - Texas Hydrographics
www.texashg.com
cbr600F4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2015, 10:43 AM   #8
False

Is wrap different than the clear protective film you can pull of if you want?

I want to get that on my tank before I start using my new tank bag.
False is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2015, 10:46 AM   #9
flipstyledsm22
Lets go fishing!

Feedback Rating: (2)

Bike(s):
1994 FLSTC Pro-Street Chopper
1964 Tote Gote
2003 GSXR600 - SOLD
2004 ZX6R - SOLD
1986 VFR750 - SOLD

Send a message via Yahoo to flipstyledsm22
Most wrap shop will not take on bikes because it is hard to lay without wrinkling up. Your better off getting it painted.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gixxerbill View Post
I hate perma bans they are sooo...permanent.
flipstyledsm22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2015, 10:54 AM   #10
848Brando

Trackdays: 5

Bike(s):
2015 FJ-09
05 R6 (sold)
06 R1 (sold)
Duc 848 (Sold)

I wrap KK47's MV motoamerica bikes....it is a PAIN IN THE , but they turn out cool and hold up during races. If you want to use your stock plastics and want a different look but want to make it stock again to re-sell the bike I'd say go for a wrap. If not, paint away then add decal highlights, thats what i did on my track fainrings.
848Brando is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked this post:

Advertisement