MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > Information > Events, Meets and Rides
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.


Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

Reply
Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 07-25-2015, 02:15 PM   #281
VicTOEmizer
GUEST
 
VicTOEmizer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: seabrook tx
Feedback Rating: (3)
Posts: 14,702

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
rc51 (sold)
TTR 125 :)
Buell xb12r (sold)
2013 z1000 (sold)
Ducati multistrada :)






Quote:
Originally Posted by pigfarmer View Post
Where is Shelly's boat?

SE MEET Thursday 7/23/15 7PM
It's too far...
__________________
KEEP YOUR PRIVATE OFF THE INTERNET FOLKS!
VicTOEmizer is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
SE MEET 9/24/15 7PM JacksonR1 Events, Meets and Rides 10 09-25-2015 01:30 AM
SE MEET 9/17/15 7pm Nastynesto85 Events, Meets and Rides 33 09-20-2015 12:17 PM
SE MEET 9/3/15 7pm Nastynesto85 Events, Meets and Rides 59 09-06-2015 02:17 AM
SE MEET 8/13/15 7pm Nastynesto85 Events, Meets and Rides 95 08-14-2015 07:37 PM
S SE MEET Thursday 7/16/15 7PM Solracer Events, Meets and Rides 374 07-18-2015 09:29 PM
Advertisement
Old 07-25-2015, 02:17 PM   #282
pigfarmer
Banned
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: River Oaks
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 1,532

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
Salsa Horsethief
Paugcho bobber








User is banned

.
pigfarmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2015, 02:42 PM   #283
pester
Black olives matter
 
pester's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Montgomery cty
Feedback Rating: (12)
Posts: 15,274

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
2007 yamaha fz6
1998 yamaha wr 400 motard



Member Garage





You all dont read. I never said any of you did it
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by honorsdaddy View Post
Technology has insulated the stupid from the rightful consequences of their actions - and exposed the rest of us to the damage they can cause.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1sickGixxer View Post
nevermind ima bumbass and ill get my wife 2 do it 2nite.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyt915 View Post
I know enough Spanish to stick you with a knife cabron
pester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2015, 03:12 PM   #284
pbfoot
Senior Member
 
pbfoot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Webster
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 657

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
2006 Kawasaki ZG1000









Quote:
Originally Posted by pester View Post
YUP damage is minimal but got me mad none the less

thats the aftermarket bracket that comes with the scorpion exhaust someone really bent it to snap it
That looks exactly like a fatigue failure and the strap is hanging right where I would expect it to be. That Orange Kush turns folks into curtain peekers!
pbfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2015, 03:18 PM   #285
Nastynesto85
Richard Serdown
 
Nastynesto85's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: southeast
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 4,843

Experience: 9 years
Trackdays: 3

Bike(s):
Dual sport 14 ninja zx6r
06 cbr 600rr (sold)
05 cbr 600rr (sold)
04 Ducati ss800 (sold)
02 gsxr 600 (sold)






Quote:
Originally Posted by pbfoot View Post
That looks exactly like a fatigue failure and the strap is hanging right where I would expect it to be. That Orange Kush turns folks into curtain peekers!
Breaking bad style Curtian peekers
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by 826 View Post
When you park just put a work boot over the ignition they won't know what to do.



If it's got or tires , it's going to cost you
Nastynesto85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2015, 03:30 PM   #286
VicTOEmizer
GUEST
 
VicTOEmizer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: seabrook tx
Feedback Rating: (3)
Posts: 14,702

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
rc51 (sold)
TTR 125 :)
Buell xb12r (sold)
2013 z1000 (sold)
Ducati multistrada :)






Quote:
Originally Posted by pbfoot View Post
That looks exactly like a fatigue failure and the strap is hanging right where I would expect it to be. That Orange Kush turns folks into curtain peekers!
__________________
KEEP YOUR PRIVATE OFF THE INTERNET FOLKS!
VicTOEmizer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2015, 03:46 PM   #287
pester
Black olives matter
 
pester's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Montgomery cty
Feedback Rating: (12)
Posts: 15,274

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
2007 yamaha fz6
1998 yamaha wr 400 motard



Member Garage





Quote:
Originally Posted by pbfoot View Post
That looks exactly like a fatigue failure and the strap is hanging right where I would expect it to be. That Orange Kush turns folks into curtain peekers!
wrong, carbon steel, with minimal amount of stresses from the weight
of the fender eliminator and plate, nope not that,
can you imagine the amount of stress that bracket must be subjected to make it snap???
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by honorsdaddy View Post
Technology has insulated the stupid from the rightful consequences of their actions - and exposed the rest of us to the damage they can cause.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1sickGixxer View Post
nevermind ima bumbass and ill get my wife 2 do it 2nite.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyt915 View Post
I know enough Spanish to stick you with a knife cabron
pester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2015, 03:53 PM   #288
pbfoot
Senior Member
 
pbfoot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Webster
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 657

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
2006 Kawasaki ZG1000









Quote:
Originally Posted by pester View Post
wrong, carbon steel, with minimal amount of stresses from the weight
of the fender eliminator and plate, nope not that,
can you imagine the amount of stress that bracket must be subjected to make it snap???
It could have been in a slightly stretched position, heat cycles would do the rest. Could have had a slight ding or scratch at the bend causing a stress riser. I can think of a half a dozen ways it could have failed. You sure you want to get into a battle of wits with a machinist?
pbfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2015, 04:08 PM   #289
Nastynesto85
Richard Serdown
 
Nastynesto85's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: southeast
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 4,843

Experience: 9 years
Trackdays: 3

Bike(s):
Dual sport 14 ninja zx6r
06 cbr 600rr (sold)
05 cbr 600rr (sold)
04 Ducati ss800 (sold)
02 gsxr 600 (sold)






Quote:
Originally Posted by pbfoot View Post
It could have been in a slightly stretched position, heat cycles would do the rest. Could have had a slight ding or scratch at the bend causing a stress riser. I can think of a half a dozen ways it could have failed. You sure you want to get into a battle of wits with a machinist?



Machinist vs inspector
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by 826 View Post
When you park just put a work boot over the ignition they won't know what to do.



If it's got or tires , it's going to cost you
Nastynesto85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked this post:
Old 07-25-2015, 04:09 PM   #290
pbfoot
Senior Member
 
pbfoot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Webster
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 657

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
2006 Kawasaki ZG1000









Quote:
Originally Posted by Nastynesto85 View Post

Machinist vs inspector
I just got up from my 3rd nap. I am ready.
pbfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2015, 04:26 PM   #291
pester
Black olives matter
 
pester's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Montgomery cty
Feedback Rating: (12)
Posts: 15,274

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
2007 yamaha fz6
1998 yamaha wr 400 motard



Member Garage





Quote:
Originally Posted by pbfoot View Post
It could have been in a slightly stretched position, heat cycles would do the rest. Could have had a slight ding or scratch at the bend causing a stress riser. I can think of a half a dozen ways it could have failed. You sure you want to get into a battle of wits with a machinist?
How bout you want to get into a battle with an inspector
Wanna discuss metalurgy of materials. How bout i inspected everything vefore instalation.

Please school me
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by honorsdaddy View Post
Technology has insulated the stupid from the rightful consequences of their actions - and exposed the rest of us to the damage they can cause.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1sickGixxer View Post
nevermind ima bumbass and ill get my wife 2 do it 2nite.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyt915 View Post
I know enough Spanish to stick you with a knife cabron
pester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2015, 04:29 PM   #292
VicTOEmizer
GUEST
 
VicTOEmizer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: seabrook tx
Feedback Rating: (3)
Posts: 14,702

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
rc51 (sold)
TTR 125 :)
Buell xb12r (sold)
2013 z1000 (sold)
Ducati multistrada :)






Quote:
Originally Posted by pbfoot View Post
I just got up from my 3rd nap. I am ready.
__________________
KEEP YOUR PRIVATE OFF THE INTERNET FOLKS!
VicTOEmizer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2015, 04:35 PM   #293
pbfoot
Senior Member
 
pbfoot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Webster
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 657

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
2006 Kawasaki ZG1000









Quote:
Originally Posted by pester View Post
How bout you want to get into a battle with an inspector
Wanna discuss metalurgy of materials. How bout i inspected everything vefore instalation.

Please school me
Ok.I am ready as I just got up from my 3rd nap of the day. Since I have had many of these straps fail, The most obvious would be the angle of the strap puts all of the vibration right at the bend. When tightening the hold down bolt the strap gets rotated putting further stress in the joint. Vibration is just like holding a piece of metal in your hand and bending it back and forth. Every time you bend it, it gets a little weaker. And since vibration on a motorcycle is usually at many frequencies at the same time, it is liking bending it back and forth several thousand times per minute. Although a small amount each time.
pbfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2015, 04:38 PM   #294
Nastynesto85
Richard Serdown
 
Nastynesto85's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: southeast
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 4,843

Experience: 9 years
Trackdays: 3

Bike(s):
Dual sport 14 ninja zx6r
06 cbr 600rr (sold)
05 cbr 600rr (sold)
04 Ducati ss800 (sold)
02 gsxr 600 (sold)






Quote:
Originally Posted by pbfoot View Post
Ok.I am ready as I just got up from my 3rd nap of the day. Since I have had many of these straps fail, The most obvious would be the angle of the strap puts all of the vibration right at the bend. When tightening the hold down bolt the strap gets rotated putting further stress in the joint. Vibration is just like holding a piece of metal in your hand and bending it back and forth. Every time you bend it, it gets a little weaker. And since vibration on a motorcycle is usually at many frequencies at the same time, it is liking bending it back and forth several thousand times per minute. Although a small amount each time.
Glad my hasn't broke off from all the bending and vibrations I put it through each day




__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by 826 View Post
When you park just put a work boot over the ignition they won't know what to do.



If it's got or tires , it's going to cost you
Nastynesto85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked this post:
Old 07-25-2015, 04:39 PM   #295
pester
Black olives matter
 
pester's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Montgomery cty
Feedback Rating: (12)
Posts: 15,274

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
2007 yamaha fz6
1998 yamaha wr 400 motard



Member Garage





Quote:
Originally Posted by pbfoot View Post
Ok.I am ready as I just got up from my 3rd nap of the day. Since I have had many of these straps fail, The most obvious would be the angle of the strap puts all of the vibration right at the bend. When tightening the hold down bolt the strap gets rotated putting further stress in the joint. Vibration is just like holding a piece of metal in your hand and bending it back and forth. Every time you bend it, it gets a little weaker. And since vibration on a motorcycle is usually at many frequencies at the same time, it is liking bending it back and forth several thousand times per minute. Although a small amount each time.
Dude. This vibration is minimal for carbon steel.
The weight on the bracket is also minimal. This bracktet bending is next to nothing. It is not connected to any other piece of the bike to add a load sufficient to make it vibrate that bad.
Besides i havent heard or even read of any other aftermarket bracket snapping due to fatigue
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by honorsdaddy View Post
Technology has insulated the stupid from the rightful consequences of their actions - and exposed the rest of us to the damage they can cause.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1sickGixxer View Post
nevermind ima bumbass and ill get my wife 2 do it 2nite.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyt915 View Post
I know enough Spanish to stick you with a knife cabron
pester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2015, 05:17 PM   #296
Schooley
Herpagonnaisyphalitis
 
Schooley's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: League City
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 888

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
ZX6R









Just walked outside and there are multiple piles of birdshit on my truck. Sure, i park under trees but I think one of you SE are the culprit.

Which one of you has a bird for a pet?
Schooley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2015, 05:18 PM   #297
Nastynesto85
Richard Serdown
 
Nastynesto85's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: southeast
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 4,843

Experience: 9 years
Trackdays: 3

Bike(s):
Dual sport 14 ninja zx6r
06 cbr 600rr (sold)
05 cbr 600rr (sold)
04 Ducati ss800 (sold)
02 gsxr 600 (sold)






Quote:
Originally Posted by Schooley View Post
Just walked outside and there are multiple piles of birdshit on my truck. Sure, i park under trees but I think one of you SE are the culprit.

Which one of you has a bird for a pet?
I hate birds -_-
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by 826 View Post
When you park just put a work boot over the ignition they won't know what to do.



If it's got or tires , it's going to cost you
Nastynesto85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2015, 05:21 PM   #298
pbfoot
Senior Member
 
pbfoot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Webster
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 657

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
2006 Kawasaki ZG1000









Quote:
Originally Posted by pester View Post
Dude. This vibration is minimal for carbon steel.
The weight on the bracket is also minimal. This bracktet bending is next to nothing. It is not connected to any other piece of the bike to add a load sufficient to make it vibrate that bad.
Besides i havent heard or even read of any other aftermarket bracket snapping due to fatigue
I would have to disagree. Yes the static load is very minimal. The dynamic load is great due to the vibration. Also, the position of the strap on the muffler makes a difference as well since an majority of the muffler extends beyond the strap essentially making the strap a pivot point. I have more when you are ready.
pbfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2015, 05:28 PM   #299
pbfoot
Senior Member
 
pbfoot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Webster
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 657

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
2006 Kawasaki ZG1000









Quote:
Originally Posted by pester View Post
Dude. This vibration is minimal for carbon steel.
The weight on the bracket is also minimal. This bracktet bending is next to nothing. It is not connected to any other piece of the bike to add a load sufficient to make it vibrate that bad.
Besides i havent heard or even read of any other aftermarket bracket snapping due to fatigue
I just Googled motorcycle slip on muffler strap broke and found several people experiencing the same thing and the strap broken at the same place. If you want to believe that a piece of metal can't fail...... well...
pbfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2015, 05:31 PM   #300
pester
Black olives matter
 
pester's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Montgomery cty
Feedback Rating: (12)
Posts: 15,274

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
2007 yamaha fz6
1998 yamaha wr 400 motard



Member Garage





Quote:
Originally Posted by pbfoot View Post
I would have to disagree. Yes the static load is very minimal. The dynamic load is great due to the vibration. Also, the position of the strap on the muffler makes a difference as well since an majority of the muffler extends beyond the strap essentially making the strap a pivot point. I have more when you are ready.
dude. the bracket is not connected to the exhaust in a way for the exhaust to have any detriment effect on it, the bracket is only for the fender eliminator

so the exhaust has no meaning on it, dynamic vibration have an effect only when the piece bends enough to be a fatigue, this one does not bend in the exact place where the separation happened,

so no, nothing to do with it,, please send more of....whatever you have.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by honorsdaddy View Post
Technology has insulated the stupid from the rightful consequences of their actions - and exposed the rest of us to the damage they can cause.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1sickGixxer View Post
nevermind ima bumbass and ill get my wife 2 do it 2nite.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyt915 View Post
I know enough Spanish to stick you with a knife cabron
pester is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Advertisement


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:45 AM.


MotoHouston.com is not responsible for the content posted by users.
Privacy Policy