Welcome back to us :/ Our hosts data center was down for the entire day.
MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 09-02-2015, 03:02 PM   #101
texlurch
Official MH tag inspector

Feedback Rating: (2)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
04 ZX-10R
02 ZX-12R BOTM 12/11
00 ZX-12R
07 GSXR 600
00 TL1000R BOTM 07/12 (sold)

Member Garage

Castle is an hour south of me, and some good roads in between..... yep!
.... Home of the "Black Ninja's"
texlurch is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked this post:
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Chronicles of Bruiser--Tales of a Street Sweeper DLite Off Topic 2 09-16-2011 08:56 PM
Mr Bean , who would have ever thunk RACER X Car Forum 2 08-11-2011 01:01 PM
still more squidly gixxer tales craigntx General Discussion (Moto Related) 25 03-02-2011 06:07 AM
Tales from the Hood... Scorpio General Discussion (Moto Related) 30 03-09-2009 05:37 AM
bean bag prank SE_Ryder122 Off Topic 4 12-08-2005 12:20 PM
Advertisement
Old 09-02-2015, 03:04 PM   #102
bumblebee
Yeah I'm flippin' YOU off

Feedback Rating: (3)

Bike(s):
'74 Suzuki GT380
'82 XS650 StreetTracker
'10 Ducati Streetfighter
'83 Yamaha Seca 900

I think a lot of us are living vicariously thru you.
Go, absalom, go!
Bevo- "I lack skillz"
bumblebee is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked this post:
Old 09-02-2015, 07:56 PM   #103
Absalom

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 1 year

Bike(s):
07' Gsxr600
07' Zx6r (sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by texlurch View Post
Castle is an hour south of me, and some good roads in between..... yep!
O ya man I really enjoyed the riding around that area!

Appreciate that bumble, Glad yall are able to enjoy!
Absalom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 03:43 PM   #104
Absalom

Bike(s):
07' Gsxr600
07' Zx6r (sold)

Hey hey everyone! Its been a very exciting week for me. I hiked 30 miles in 3 days in the Rocky Mountain National park, then the next day was some super epic downhill mountain biking! So I'm excited for this post.

First off though- Id like to give a big shoutout to one of my good friends Jessie. This dude right here has sheltered me for the past week and probably the next week to come. Its been nice having a home base where I can leave all my stuff and go exploring, then have a warm couch and shower to come back to. So thank you Jessie!
G0320374 1441941070107 high

So down to the good stuff. As I was hanging around I started getting the backpacking itch, decided it was a good time to make it back out to Rocky Mountain National Park and get a good solo hike in. This would be my first solo backpacking experience so I was super pumped and ready to face whatever came my way! So I made the necessary trip to rei to stock up on some mre's then made my way out the next day. I tried to get an early start but that usually doesn't happen with me, so I arrived at the park a little later than I would have liked but we were on the trail soon enough!
IMG 20150906 112647

Got my route and camping spots locked in with the ranger grabbed my map and made my way into some bear country! Started the hike around 2pm and covered the 7 miles it was to my first camp site. Pretty easy way to start the hike, not to much uphill stuff and the weather was great so I was really feeling it. First campsite sat right next to a beautiful creek, so I set up my camp and went for a little wander along the creek. Dinner was black beans and rice with dates for dessert, bedtime came early as it gets cold really fast and that sleeping bag feels goooood. Plus its nice to get a good early jump on the day when you have some decent hiking to get in. Although I kind of found it hard to shut my mind down knowing I'm sleeping in bear country! Heres the view from my first site.
G0370422 1441939864478 high

Woke up the next morning to the sound of light rain on my tent, so it delayed my early start I wanted to get but I got a little extra sleep instead which I did need. Rain cleared around 10 and I started my morning with some oatmeal, peanut butter and raisins. Had to get some water so I went down to the creek and filtered some into my camelback, I feel drinking water that comes from the land your on really taps you into it so I enjoy this. The hike started out great but pretty quickly turned into a difficult time. About 30 min into my hike the clouds roll in and the rain starts. No biggie as a little rain never hurts- but when its rainy and cold the entirety of your hike it starts to become a little aggravating. Especially with some pretty heavy uphill action. Either way onward I went up the trail cold and damp. The sight of two moose raised me up a little bit, along with some good views when the rain started to clear near the end. Getting pretty high up!
No turn unstoned. Tales from The Bean
So I finally made it to camp pretty beat up and cold. It was a hard day, but this is what its all about really. Learning and testing yourself- in return you just may find something you never knew existed within you. I really enjoyed my second night on the mountain, as I was setting up a few deer decided to come up and hang around for a bit. Just watching and munching on the earth around me. As I was making my meal for the night and thinking about the kicking I received that day, I found it hard not to just sit there and laugh and smile about the whole day. Also to thank for the wonderful opportunities I have been givin and the health to experience such a thing like this. It was an awesome moment, and I am beyond grateful for everything that I have experienced so far. This was my dinner spot for the night!
I also thought it would be cool if I pulled everything out of my pack to get a picture of what I was carrying. Didn't get a chance to weigh my pack but I think it was around 35 pounds. Not to bad but it could definitely be improved. I know what I will do different next time for sure.
Starting from the left
-Bear box: This was required on the mountain for your food so I rented one from the town near by.
-Gas, Titanium Cookware, Spork and mini stove: Next time my gas canister will be half the size and fit into my cook set. Also will only bring 2 of the 4 pieces in the cook set.
-Mre's, Cliff bars, 2.4lbs of peanut butter, 2lbs of dates, raisins and way to much oatmeal.
-Water filter And Water bag: Filter connects to this 4L bag, then ill transfer 2L of water to my camelback which runs through my pack.
-Gold bond nut powder: Really glad I decided to bring this, was one of the items I debated on bringing. Ended up catching some nut rub so this is always must now.
-First Aid, Rope, Knife, map, Headlamp, Harmonica
-Air pillow, Thermarest sleeping pad, Sleeping bag, Tent
-Trusty Hat
-Things I forgot to pull out: Compass, flint, lighter
-Clothes: One pair pants and undies, longsleeve shirt, pair of wool socks, rain coat, gloves, beanie, wool thermals top and bottom. All my hiking clothes are lightweight quick drying material, Comfort on your hike is crucial as I feel it helps the mental part of your hike.

Made some tea as the sun dropped and enjoyed a warm drink while the temperature quickly dropped. Sleep came early and so did morning! Woke up around 5:30 to a sound ive never heard before but was very interesting and pleasant. When I heard it again I popped up and unzipped my tent because it sounded a lot closer this time, sure enough a huge elk was walking by about 20 foot outside my tent. This was to cool and an awesome start to my third day of hiking. Put my boots on and got breakfast and some tea started, the elk continued to walk around in the pasture next to me so I decided id try and get a picture of the beast.
The sun slowly started making its way over the mountains and I hit the trail! Skies looked a lot better today but the weather is very weird here as your on the continental divide, so I just hoped for the best! 8 miles to my next camp site and about 3 of it would be uphill to the top of the mountain so I knew today would be challenging. The hike was pretty difficult but the weather was absolutely perfect. Now starts the fun part, seeing the top of the mountain and knowing all your hard work is about to pay off, just gotta push on for a little bit further!
G0450485 1441939987837 high
G0470500 1441940014013 high
King of the mountain!!
Felt awesome making it here, such a breathtaking moment being that high up and looking out over the land. Really wanted to spend a little time up here but it was crazy windy and pretty cold. So I soaked it all in and got to enjoy the hike downhill to my next campsite! I ended up arriving at camp mid day which was right next to this beautiful watering hole. Decided lunch and some relaxation here would be great, also a quick bath would be rad. This water was absolutely freezing though, the kind of cold that takes your breath away and chills you to the bone. I said screw it though and hopped in, it was really intense. I had never been in water that cold lol.
GOPR0514 1441940040284 high
Made a little lunch and just relaxed for an hour or so. One thing I really enjoy doing is stacking rocks, they are called "cairns" and are usually used for marking your trail. Its also used as a type of meditation tool, finding balance in the physical world really helps me find balance in my mind and everyday life. I can sit for hours trying to stack rocks as high as I can go, them tipping over and starting again. Really enjoyed this one though!
GOPR0515 1441940055433 high
Some people though are actually very good at this, this dudes name is Michael Grab and hes a pro lol. Check out some of his work if you ever get the chance, he posts lots of really good stacks on Instagram. Hard to believe some of them are real.
Screenshot 2015 09 11 14 03 24
Liked this post:
Old 09-11-2015, 03:44 PM   #105
Absalom

Bike(s):
07' Gsxr600
07' Zx6r (sold)

So as I wrapped up with my mid day break I was left with a choice, either set up camp early and just hang out the rest of the day or bust out the next 8 miles and finish the trail that day. I was feeling pretty good so I decided I was gonna finish! I packed up and continued the treck, eventually after a few more hours I finally made it! 16 miles that day! I had to raise my hands and give out a huge victory shout! I was super pumped and riding that natural high, what an experience. The feeling of knowing you conquered the mountain is awesome, wouldn't trade that journey for anything. You really do learn a lot when you journey by yourself, I really recommend a trip like this if you've never done anything like it. After the thrill of victory wore off and the pain in my feet and legs set it in the next thing on my mind was beer and pizza! Kind of my tradition- when I do something really epic or testing I treat myself to a few of the finer things in life Also did not want to make the ride back to Denver that night so I hit up a local couchsurfer and he said come on by! Quick 30 min drive and I made it to Fraser where my host stayed. We went up to the safeway and picked up a few pizzas and some beer! The couchsurfing community really is great, we grubbed and drank a few ipa's then spent the rest of the night vibing out. We got to talking about sports and I told him how bad ive been wanting to do some downhill mountain biking while I was in Colorado. Turns out the dude works at the winter park resort, in the summer the mountain turns into mountain biking heaven! We decided we were going the next day, homie gets the super hookup and I end up paying 20$ for everything I needed. Cant thank this dude enough for hooking me up. I had an absolute blast, so cool riding down mountain trails with huge burms, jumps and obstacles. Dangerous as though, I can only imagine how many people get injured doing this. You haul some serious through these trails. Thanks Zach, you the man!
IMG 20150909 131210
Made it down the mountain three times with one small wipeout and that's about all I could handle. It was a real challenge and wore you out! We made our way back to his place after some lunch and I got ready to make the ride back to Denver. I was wore out and beat up after the hike and ride so I was definitely ready to chill for a day or two.

One of my favorite weeks on this trip so far. Life is good my friends and only getting better. Tomorrow I see STS9 at the Red Rocks (one of my favorite jam bands) and on the 15th I fly out to California for a music festival happening on my birthday weekend. Found a one way ticket to LA for 30$, friends there will then pick me up and head north for the festival! Cheers everyone!
Liked this post:
Old 09-11-2015, 04:13 PM   #106
flipstyledsm22
Lets go fishing!

Bike(s):
1994 FLSTC Pro-Street Chopper
1964 Tote Gote
2003 GSXR600 - SOLD
2004 ZX6R - SOLD
1986 VFR750 - SOLD

Send a message via Yahoo to flipstyledsm22
awesome! I'm glad you had the chance to barrel downhill on a mountain bike!!! I am definitely jealous now! I admire your bravery tackling the mountain by your lonesome... I'm too worried about becoming a late night snack to do that. Maybe I'll camp out in a teardrop camper one day, sheltered from all the elements and chill! Glad your still rumbling along on your journey! Would have been really awesome if you had video of the MB rides.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gixxerbill View Post
I hate perma bans they are sooo...permanent.
flipstyledsm22 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 04:13 PM   #107
Nick336

Experience: 4 years

Bike(s):
06 Speed Triple
08 ZX10R -RIP
03 Z1000 -Sold
02 R6 -Sold

Awesome update as usual. I really enjoy this thread. Keep it up dude
Nick336 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 04:54 PM   #108
Absalom

Bike(s):
07' Gsxr600
07' Zx6r (sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by flipstyledsm22 View Post
awesome! I'm glad you had the chance to barrel downhill on a mountain bike!!! I am definitely jealous now! I admire your bravery tackling the mountain by your lonesome... I'm too worried about becoming a late night snack to do that. Maybe I'll camp out in a teardrop camper one day, sheltered from all the elements and chill! Glad your still rumbling along on your journey! Would have been really awesome if you had video of the MB rides.
Ya man appreciate it! Was definitely a fear I had to get over to be able to enjoy the hike. I actually did get video, I'm see if I can figure the upload out cause its pretty rad!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick336 View Post
Awesome update as usual. I really enjoy this thread. Keep it up dude
Hey man I appreciate it! I definitely will brotha
Old 09-11-2015, 05:38 PM   #109
Trish

Experience: 1-3 months

Bike(s):
2008 CBR600rr
2006 DRZ400SM

So awesome! I love Fraser. The people there are cool, and snowboarding Mary Jane is my favorite.

Keep the updates coming, and have fun!
Trish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 06:20 PM   #110
Absalom

Bike(s):
07' Gsxr600
07' Zx6r (sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trish View Post
So awesome! I love Fraser. The people there are cool, and snowboarding Mary Jane is my favorite.

Keep the updates coming, and have fun!
I was told good things about MJ, definitely going to try and hit it this year!
Old 09-11-2015, 07:51 PM   #111
Trish

Experience: 1-3 months

Bike(s):
2008 CBR600rr
2006 DRZ400SM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Absalom View Post
I was told good things about MJ, definitely going to try and hit it this year!
LMK when! I'll be up there pretty much all winter break.

I just hope your quads are in shape for those bumps!!
Trish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 11:09 PM   #112
dbuck
Stayin' Young

Feedback Rating: (5)

Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
02 Honda Superhawk

Send a message via AIM to dbuck
I've never been to CO without my board in tow....and snow on the ground. I've heard great things about Colorado mountain biking....especially the whole ride up in a lift and ride down part (not much of a hiker here). Never hiked up to the continental divide, but have taken several lifts to get there. Nothing beats the top of a mountain view! Loving the updates and pics. Keep on rocking man!
dbuck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2015, 11:14 AM   #113
pigfarmer
Banned

Bike(s):
Salsa Horsethief
Paugcho bobber

User is banned

pigfarmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2015, 12:52 PM   #114
Absalom

Bike(s):
07' Gsxr600
07' Zx6r (sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trish View Post
LMK when! I'll be up there pretty much all winter break.

I just hope your quads are in shape for those bumps!!
O for sure!! And ill start getting my squats on ASAP

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbuck View Post
I've never been to CO without my board in tow....and snow on the ground. I've heard great things about Colorado mountain biking....especially the whole ride up in a lift and ride down part (not much of a hiker here). Never hiked up to the continental divide, but have taken several lifts to get there. Nothing beats the top of a mountain view! Loving the updates and pics. Keep on rocking man!
Ya man ive never seen CO without snow either and its been absolutely beautiful here in the summer. I can definitely see why people move here, so much outdoors to do anytime of the year. Its really great! Ill never stop rocking brotha

Thanks pig! That really speaks to me
Old 09-24-2015, 11:29 AM   #115
Absalom

Bike(s):
07' Gsxr600
07' Zx6r (sold)

Hey everyone! Just popping in to let you know where im at and whats going on! I made my way out to california on the 17th for a music festival in oakdale for my birthday that was on the 20th. 23 times around the sun woohoo! I left the bike in colorado with the people i rode to cali with (found a ride through craigslist.) Im currently doing my first hitch hike heading to San Francisco to meet up with some friends and get some exploring in. I hope your week has been as beautiful as mine! Mucho love!
G0570672 1443108389163 high
Liked this post:
Old 09-24-2015, 11:36 AM   #116
flipstyledsm22
Lets go fishing!

Bike(s):
1964 Tote Gote
2003 GSXR600 - SOLD
2004 ZX6R - SOLD
1986 VFR750 - SOLD

Happy be-lated Birfffday! That's pretty with the cardboard sign! You guys be safe in case some weirdo "Bill Cosby's" your drinks on the way to SF
Quote:
Old 10-28-2015, 12:30 PM   #117
dbuck
Stayin' Young

Feedback Rating: (5)

Bike(s):
02 Honda Superhawk

Send a message via AIM to dbuck
Absalom,

You've been MIA for over a month now. I hope that hitch hiking ordeal didn't backfire on you!
dbuck is online now   Reply With Quote
Liked this post:
Old 10-28-2015, 01:45 PM   #118
01ls1ws6

Experience: 2 years

Bike(s):
2009 R6 Black and gold baby!
YZ250

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbuck View Post
Absalom,

You've been MIA for over a month now. I hope that hitch hiking ordeal didn't backfire on you!
you Dbuck I thought he updated this thread with more pictures.
01ls1ws6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked this post:
Old 10-28-2015, 01:56 PM   #119
Nick336

Experience: 4 years

Bike(s):
06 Speed Triple
08 ZX10R -RIP
03 Z1000 -Sold
02 R6 -Sold

For real. Where you at?
Nick336 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2015, 08:31 AM   #120
flipstyledsm22
Lets go fishing!

Bike(s):
1964 Tote Gote
2003 GSXR600 - SOLD
2004 ZX6R - SOLD
1986 VFR750 - SOLD

It puts the lotion on its skin!!!
Quote:

Advertisement