Welcome back to us :/ Our hosts data center was down for the entire day.
MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 07-14-2015, 03:42 PM   #1
Absalom

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 1 year

Bike(s):
07' Gsxr600
07' Zx6r (sold)

No turn unstoned. Tales from The Bean

Hello motohouston! Been an exciting week for me, started my journey on Tuesday last week and finally am getting to a place where I can start sharing my experience with everyone here. So I guess ill start with a little about me. Ill try not to drag it out..

Some of my earliest memories are of me on my little 50cc Honda, my passion for motorcycles started very young. Growing up in a small town north of Houston I always had land to ride on and would spend most of my days doing just that. My pops made a few motorcycle trips around the states and once I saw him do that the dream started for me. I knew one day I would be doing the exact same thing, and now here we are! I've lived in Houston for all 22 years of my life, never got to experience much change and my heart has been longing for adventure. Life was always just pretty run of the mill. When I turned 18 some real changes in my life started happening, my views on the world and what I wanted with this life made a complete 360. I don't like to say I'm a "hippie" because that term can go multiple ways, I'm just Sawyer and I see the world in a different light. Most people would call me a crazy hippie though! I believe in purity within our body, soul and mind and a strong connection to the universal consciousness that guides us all. I see the signs that are placed in my path and follow them. I prefer to live in the now and I don't see it any other way. Vegetarian for a year and half now, so this journey is going to be interesting for me not having my normal comforts of home! So ya- I could keep on going but ill just leave it there!

Now for my journey and what I hope to do. Ill be taking my 2014 Klr650 along the west coast in hopes of making it to Alaska, after that cut across Canada and back along the east coast and home! No time frame at all, just going with the flow and what feels right. So my plans could change completely and I'm totally ok with that! Lots of this trip will be dedicated to WWOOFING, a work exchange program for organic farms. Many different types of farming I will learn. Anything form bee keeping, aquaponics, permaculture, mushroom cultivation, dairy farming and theres even a few medical marijuana farms out there! Much more than this as well. I see myself living fully sustainable someday. I will also be hitting as many national parks as possible and backpacking through them.

Now for the goods! My journey started in Houston on July 8th, I made my way to Austin that night and slept at my buddies house with plans to wake up and make our way to Big Bend National Park. Leaving home and family was very overwhelming. So I arrived safely and got a good nights sleep in preparation for the long drive ahead of me. I have never made a drive that far so I wasn't sure what to expect and how I would feel. Woke up that morning and ate my last Casa de luz meal for a long time, my favorite eatery in Austin. Fantastic food. So for the ride- It kicked my honestly. Lots of pulling over and stopping to just walk around and stretch. It took a lot longer than I had expected but I arrived at Big Bend later on that night.
The park was absolutely beautiful, and for it being summer in the middle of the dessert the weather was awesome. Even had a creek flowing which is very rare, we pulled and filtered all of our water from it. So many great things about this place , I highly recommend it. Sadly my camera died so I am missing a lot pictures I really wanted. Gonna have to see it for yourself!
Forraging foods is a big interest of mine, so leading up to our campsite we start seeing TONS of mushrooms popping up. I knew these mushrooms were safe to eat so I just started munching! Was one of my favorite parts of this hike. We spent 3 nights on the mountain, temperatures dropped to a very nice low 60s so sleep was great. At the peak of the mountain we ran into this awesome dude named Bill, he told us we absolutely had to go to the town of Marfa for a late night grilled cheese and we were sold! So that was our goal, we were going to finish up our hike and head to Marfa! Entering the town this is the first thing we see and I really enjoyed it. We had no idea what this town in the middle of now where was all about. Its a crazy mix of real cowboys and total hipster artsy people. Somehow this mixed just seemed to work here though. Words can even begin to express how cool this town was. I really don't know how this place came to be the way it is. We had a great time and met a lot of cool people.
G0100155 1436897319910 high
We met these two girls and an Australian we spent a lot of time with. Ill have to leave some of the details out of this one.. We never got our grilled cheese but we found so much more than we ever expected. O ya- if your ever out that way El Cosmico offers free camping and an outdoor kitchen. Awesome place.

So ya we spent 2 nights in Marfa and now im siting in the local coffee shop about to make my next move. Ill be heading up to Guadalupe Mountains national park within the hour. The adventure has already been mind blowing and I cant wait for more! Peace out!

Also mods I wasn't sure where to post this so please move if you want
Absalom is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Chronicles of Bruiser--Tales of a Street Sweeper DLite Off Topic 2 09-16-2011 08:56 PM
Mr Bean , who would have ever thunk RACER X Car Forum 2 08-11-2011 01:01 PM
still more squidly gixxer tales craigntx General Discussion (Moto Related) 25 03-02-2011 06:07 AM
Tales from the Hood... Scorpio General Discussion (Moto Related) 30 03-09-2009 05:37 AM
bean bag prank SE_Ryder122 Off Topic 4 12-08-2005 12:20 PM
Advertisement
Old 07-14-2015, 04:24 PM   #2
urbanXJ
erect engorged member

Experience: 9 years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
2008 Versys

you should stop by balmorea state park for a swim

http://tpwd.texas.gov/state-parks/balmorhea

the water is 72-74 degrees year around because its spring fed and clear as can be
urbanXJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2015, 04:41 PM   #3
VicTOEmizer

Feedback Rating: (3)

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
rc51 (sold)
TTR 125 :)
Buell xb12r (sold)
2013 z1000 (sold)
Ducati multistrada :)

Nice! Can't wait to see more. Good luck!
Old 07-14-2015, 04:58 PM   #4
pigfarmer
Banned

Bike(s):
Salsa Horsethief
Paugcho bobber

User is banned

pigfarmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked this post:
Old 07-14-2015, 05:27 PM   #5
Absalom

Bike(s):
07' Gsxr600
07' Zx6r (sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanXJ View Post
you should stop by balmorea state park for a swim

http://tpwd.texas.gov/state-parks/balmorhea

the water is 72-74 degrees year around because its spring fed and clear as can be
I've heard great things about that place, little out of the way so I didn't know if I wanted to hit it or not. I just may tho.
Old 07-14-2015, 05:29 PM   #6
Absalom

Bike(s):
07' Gsxr600
07' Zx6r (sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pigfarmer View Post
You are my new hero.

In before BN up this thread...
Hahaha glad you enjoyed.

Toe- appreciate it! Weird always seems to find me so this should be fun
Old 07-14-2015, 05:35 PM   #7
bdmpastx
The Cripple

Bike(s):
2009 Nissan GTR - sold
2015 Nissan GTR

I liked riding out there too, here's my pic...
attachmentphp?attachmentid86957&ampstc1&ampd1436913222
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Big Bend Sign.jpg
Views:	949
Size:	112.1 KB
ID:	86957  
Liked this post:
Old 07-14-2015, 06:00 PM   #8
Nastynesto85
Richard Serdown

Trackdays: 3

Bike(s):
Dual sport 14 ninja zx6r
06 cbr 600rr (sold)
05 cbr 600rr (sold)
04 Ducati ss800 (sold)
02 gsxr 600 (sold)

So how was the orgy with the 2 chicks bro ? I know that what you meant by leave out details

Glad your enjoying it so far and it's awesome that your actually doing this trip

If it's got or tires , it's going to cost you
Nastynesto85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2015, 06:43 PM   #9
jimrad
Moderate pace forever .

Trackdays: 7

Awesome.. glad you are doing what you have been wanting to do.
Old 07-14-2015, 07:25 PM   #10
Absalom

Bike(s):
07' Gsxr600
07' Zx6r (sold)

Bdm- nice it's a super cool ride in!
Nesto- shhhh!
Thanks jimmy, been a long time coming
Liked this post:
Old 07-14-2015, 07:44 PM   #11
Nastynesto85
Richard Serdown

Bike(s):
Dual sport 14 ninja zx6r
06 cbr 600rr (sold)
05 cbr 600rr (sold)
04 Ducati ss800 (sold)
02 gsxr 600 (sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Absalom View Post
Bdm- nice it's a super cool ride in!
Nesto- shhhh!
Thanks jimmy, been a long time coming
you gypsy you I told you I knew what you meant , long time ago I had a gypsy friend and she loved to spread and share the love best of luck to you bud and I love you = no

If it's got or tires , it's going to cost you
Nastynesto85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2015, 10:07 PM   #12
Vegas Kid

Experience: 3 years

Bike(s):
07 R6-sold
12 TTR 50

This should be a very interesting thread.

Look forward to the adventure..stay safe.
Vegas Kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2015, 10:12 PM   #13
Kawafasty
I make little kids cry

Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 3 years

Bike(s):
'13 zx-14 r. Red
(Sold) 2009 Cbr 600 black
(Sold) 2009 Kawi 650 red

Marta is fun, nice food truck and amazing sky. Keep the story comming
Old 07-14-2015, 10:42 PM   #14
cuong-nutz
Resident 250 guru

Feedback Rating: (9)

Experience: 1-3 months

Bike(s):
Ninjer 250

Do you have your planned route laid out? Stay safe and have fun!
Old 07-15-2015, 09:05 AM   #15
atvmxr

Experience: 1-3 months

Bike(s):
2001 Vulcan 800
CR125
LT500R
TRX250r
ATC350X

BAMF!
atvmxr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2015, 09:13 AM   #16
dbuck
Stayin' Young

Feedback Rating: (5)

Bike(s):
02 Honda Superhawk

Send a message via AIM to dbuck
I'm jealous...I wish I could have weeks off of work with no major agenda other than site seeing and riding around while learning farming techniques. Have fun, be safe, and keep the cool pics coming. Thanks for sharing with MH!
dbuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2015, 09:20 AM   #17
bluewave18
Safety Third

Bike(s):
08 Busa
03 XR 50

Got my interest
Old 07-16-2015, 06:43 PM   #18
Absalom

Bike(s):
07' Gsxr600
07' Zx6r (sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nastynesto85 View Post
you gypsy you I told you I knew what you meant , long time ago I had a gypsy friend and she loved to spread and share the love best of luck to you bud and I love you = no
Love ya brotha!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegas Kid View Post
This should be a very interesting thread.

Look forward to the adventure..stay safe.
Appreciated!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuong-nutz View Post
Do you have your planned route laid out? Stay safe and have fun!
Really all I know after I hit Colorado and Utah ill be traveling west coast to Alaska, nothing really planned. Just riding the waves of the universe

Quote:
Originally Posted by atvmxr View Post
BAMF!
Haha thanks bud

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbuck View Post
I'm jealous...I wish I could have weeks off of work with no major agenda other than site seeing and riding around while learning farming techniques. Have fun, be safe, and keep the cool pics coming. Thanks for sharing with MH!
Sometime it will happen brotha, and no problem at all. Thank yall for listening

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluewave18 View Post
Got my interest

Alright so quick update now that I found some Wi-Fi at a Mcdonalds in Carlsbad, NM. In my last post I said I was heading up to the Guadalupe Mountains but sure enough Marfa sucked me in for one last night and Im glad I stayed! The buds and an Aussie guy we met named Kip went out to the local bar and had a few drinks. Kip was cool as , I just couldn't figure him out though. Strange dude for sure! So as were leaving the bar I hop in the car with him and start to roll out to El Cosmico where we were camping, the dude backs up into a pole hard as . Sure enough the State troopers roll up because they heard it, I start giving him the run down on whats gonna happen and how to go about the situation. He gets the full sobriety test and does well. He played the sympathy card like no other and the troopers end up letting him go. So that leads up to this picture.
(kip in the cowboy hat) We walk up to the outdoor kitchen at cosimco and he starts freaking out, turns out kip met the other 4 aussies pictured in London 2 years ago. Small world right? So we all get a little drunk and shoot the . I hear that the group I just met is heading to Carlsbad in the morning. That was pretty much where I was heading so I ask if I could tag along. They said sure so that day we made our way up to Carlsbad and found a place to camp. Coolest group of Aussies ever, really enjoyed getting to connect with them. They made me some food and gave me a few beers. All in all a great night with some new friends. It really is crazy the paths that life leads us on, this whole first week I have felt like it has been planned exactly this way. Every word said, every action made felt like that was how it was supposed to happen. Today we woke up and went out to Carlsbad Caverns National Park, fantastic place! Its like stepping back in time going into the caves, 300million years of transformation and were just walking through it. Really cool.
This was one of my favorite structures, I was just blown away by how tiny this place made me feel. The walk is 2-3 hours, make it out when you have the chance!
G0150188 1437087724366 high
The Aussies next stop was the white sands, I really need a day of good rest so I decided to hang around in Carlsbad tonight. So this is where we parted ways. Will never forget these people, great souls. So ya- im hoping to find someone on couchsurfing in Carlsbad so I could get a roof over my head tonight and something other than my hammock to sleep in! Lol ive slept in it every night so far, not that I don't like it but you know a couch would be a nice change of pace. Also a shower would be great, Ive taken three so far...

Ill be back soon. Take care

Last edited by Absalom; 07-16-2015 at 06:45 PM.
Liked this post:
Old 07-16-2015, 07:20 PM   #19
Squoddybody
This is me.

Experience: 8 years
Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
Custom 2003 SV650

Awesome trip! Enjoy every minute of it.

follow me on IG - squoddybody
Squoddybody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2015, 08:18 PM   #20
Mr.P
Driving Duh-Bus

Bike(s):
CBR1000RR

Did you go to Padre's in Marfa? High school buddy owns it.

He's also the Presidio County J.P. if you ever run into trouble out there, LOL.

And a DJ at the public radio with a show that can't be missed...Nighttrain on Tuesday at 10. Lots of Houston references and culture in that show.

http://marfapublicradio.org/schedule/

Advertisement