MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > News & Media > Motorcycle News & Media > Industry News
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 07-13-2015, 06:20 PM   #1
NewsBot

Feedback Rating: (0)

MotoGP Sachsenring: Marquez dominates

After a dismal period of several races where one team rider was recovering from arm pump surgery and the other was struggling with handling woes caused by the aggressive character of the engine, it appears that the Repsol Honda Team ship has righted itself and is back on course in the MotoGP World Championship. Marc Marquez was hungry to put the disappointment of the Assen TT race (where he lost a last corner battle to current points leader Valentino Rossi) behind him, and he emphatically put his stamp on the Sachsenring circuit by taking his sixth straight win (including both 125cc in 2010 and Moto2 in 2011 class wins) in dominating form. Marquez hung back behind early leader Jorge Lorenzoówho made a daring first corner outside pass on both Marquez and teammate Dani Pedrosa to take the leadófor a few laps before moving past the Movistar Yamaha rider and quickly pulling away. Marquez's teammate Dani Pedrosa made it a Repsol Honda one-two finish by working his way past the fading Lorenzo (who ended up fourth with rear tire grip issues) and a pesky Rossi to record his best finish since the surgery back in April. Rossi doggedly hung onto Pedrosa for third, earning three valuable world championship points on Lorenzo as the calendar heads into the summer break.

Marquez was happy to return to winning form, but he cautioned that the Honda RC213V (using a 2014 chassis with the 2015 engine) isn't perfect by any means. "From the beginning I felt good, and when I have the (gap to second place), I try to manage that distance. Itís a good race to start the (summer) holidays, but we need to continue working because it may look like we have solved everything, but I think we need to make another step to finish completely. We must enjoy the moment because next week we have a test in Misano. There I think it will be important for the second half of the season. We need to work hard to improve these problems that we still have."

Pedrosa was certainly elated to record his best finish of the 2015 season. "It was a first race where I was able to finish close to the top, so it feels good. My start was good finally, but my only regret is that at the beginning, I couldnít really push hard (because of his choice of the hard compound front tire), and then I was fourth in the lead group. When Marc started to go, I couldnít really push to make a pass and go with him. So then I tried to fight with the Yamahas and finish second. And then surprising for me, I started to feel better towards the end of the race and could finish in good shape. This track is a little more of a relief to the right arm because itís all left-hand corners."

Rossi was satisfied with finishing in the final podium spot because he knew it would be tough to beat the Repsol Hondas. "Itís important because from Friday we understand that we are not at the same level of Marquez and Pedrosa and the Honda. We suffer a bit. After the warmup, we made the right decision to try something different to be stronger in braking. It was great work by my team, my bike was very good for the race. I had a good battle with Jorge. Behind him I could see that I was a little bit faster, so I knew I had to push at the maximum to make a gap to Jorge. The battle with Dani was difficult, but the best part of the race was the moment that Dani overtake me and I put the 'hook' in his seat and go with him because I know that he can help me a lot to put some distance on Jorge. Dani was riding very well, I learned some new lines at Sachsenring. At one point I thought that maybe I could fight with him for second place, because if I could put him between me and Jorge, it would be important for the championship. But in the same moment that I thought that, Dani leave me (laughs)."

Lorenzo was obviously disappointed to finish fourth, although he felt that only losing three championship points to Rossi was a blessing considering his weekend struggles. "The only positive thing was my good start and the first corner, and also that after such a bad race, we only lost three points. But to be honest, when I started to lose grip with the rear, I had a lot of problems picking up the bike off the corner to get a good drive, there was too much spinning. And then on braking, the rear didnít help the front to the stop the bike, and I have to brake earlier and earlier, so it was difficult to keep the pace. I regret not trying a shorter bike in the warmup, that probably wouldíve given me a little bit more traction. But now itís too late, but we just lost three points, so itís not so bad for the championship."

MotoGP Sachsenring race results:
1. Marc Marquez (SPA) Repsol Honda
2. Dani Pedrosa (SPA) Repsol Honda
3. Valentino Rossi (ITA) Movistar Yamaha MotoGP
4. Jorge Lorenzo (SPA) Movistar Yamaha MotoGP
5. Andrea Iannone (ITA) Ducati Team
6. Bradley Smith (GBR) Monster Tech 3 Yamaha
7. Cal Crutchlow (GBR) CWM LCR Honda
8. Pol Espargaro (SPA) Monster Tech 3 Yamaha
9. Danilo Petrucci (ITA) Octo Pramac Ducati
10. Aleix Espargaro (SPA) Team Suzuki Ecstar
11. Maverick ViŮales (SPA) Team Suzuki Ecstar