Welcome back to us :/ Our hosts data center was down for the entire day.
MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 07-17-2015, 09:45 PM   #101
maxgs

Member Garage

The instructions say seat, tank, radiators, fairings. They are a box around the radiator. Very fancy looking.
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
KTM 300 Fork Seals - Shop Advice DanTheMan13 Dirtbikes, Mini's, ATV's..... 8 09-16-2015 01:12 PM
Possible New KTM? Chuckster General Discussion (Moto Related) 7 11-13-2012 05:15 PM
KTM 990 vs KTM Supermoto!! Rykoson General Discussion (Moto Related) 16 11-24-2011 09:26 AM
Need some advice Thayleal General Discussion (Moto Related) 34 07-15-2011 06:46 PM
Advertisement
Old 07-17-2015, 09:55 PM   #102
BYRDMAN
WX MAN

Feedback Rating: (8)

Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
2015 KTM Adventure 1190
2007 KTM 300 XC smoker
2007 KTM 300 XC smoker

Member Garage

Angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxgs View Post
The instructions say seat, tank, radiators, fairings. They are a box around the radiator. Very fancy looking.
Probably just unbolt the radiators to install the cage around them. Shouldnt have to remove the hoses.....I think.

AMERICAN MADE WITH MEXICAN PARTS
BYRDMAN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2015, 09:59 PM   #103
maxgs

Member Garage

I'm thinking about a larger tank. A 3.1 maybe? Maybe do both at the same time. Everything is installed except the rear rotor protector and the radiator guards.

After the ride tonight, I really like the mirrors. And btw 13-50 is not good for anything above 60 mph.
Old 07-17-2015, 10:25 PM   #104
mrapplecastle

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
ktm 690 enduroR
r1200gsa

Quote:
And btw 13-50 is not good for anything above 60 mph.
I bet its a wheelie monster though
mrapplecastle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2015, 10:29 PM   #105
maxgs

Member Garage

Just tons and tons of grunt. I've been riding up the steep bayou cement ramps no problem.
Old 07-17-2015, 10:38 PM   #106
CarbonJames
LSTD/TTBC Instructor

Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 1-3 months

Bike(s):
13 250sx
13 350sxf
12 150sx
07 CRF 230
04 CRF 50/70

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by lococnc View Post
I think Bobby will be doing his suspension work over at Motorcycles Unlimited, he rides that CRF450x that sits out front a lot. I hear he is stupid fast and knows what he is doing for offroad as well as onroad. I have always been happy with his work.
Bobby rides MX as far as I know, which would be a bit different than actual forest/woods riding, not that Bobby can't set him up but, it just won't need to be as stiff a springs as MX bikes are set up with.
CarbonJames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2015, 10:42 PM   #107
CarbonJames
LSTD/TTBC Instructor

Bike(s):
13 250sx
13 350sxf
12 150sx
07 CRF 230
04 CRF 50/70

Member Garage

Quote:
I'm thinking about a larger tank. A 3.1 maybe? Maybe do both at the same time. Everything is installed except the rear rotor protector and the radiator guards.

After the ride tonight, I really like the mirrors. And btw 13-50 is not good for anything above 60 mph.
I think the stock gearing coupled with a Rekluse clutch and you'd be happy. If you want to ride some single track stuff, the Rekluse comes in handy, also if you have short legs (like myself) or tend to crash a lot, the Rekluse is almost a must.

Also, the FMF powerbomb really wakes up the bottom end, especially if you run a Rekluse clutch..

I could get you some really nice deals on parts if you use me as a reference out of Columbus,TX. Probably the best deal you'll get around these parts.
Old 07-17-2015, 10:43 PM   #108
CarbonJames
LSTD/TTBC Instructor

Bike(s):
13 250sx
13 350sxf
12 150sx
07 CRF 230
04 CRF 50/70

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYRDMAN View Post
Probably just unbolt the radiators to install the cage around them. Shouldnt have to remove the hoses.....I think.
Agreed but, in some cases depending on the guard manufacturer, the radiators don't need to me removed.
Old 07-17-2015, 10:45 PM   #109
maxgs

Member Garage

I'm not familiar with a rekluse clutch. I'll google it. And with my size, a 15-45 is never going to cut it. Seems that most 500 exc owns change the sprockets.

I want to keep my exhaust as quiet as possible.
Old 07-17-2015, 11:59 PM   #110
brandontx

Bike(s):
2008 Husqvarna SM 510
2008 Yamaha YZ250F

Quote:
brandontx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2015, 08:57 PM   #111
maxgs

Member Garage

Well I rode SHNF today. What an eye opener and boy do I suck. I was dead last, of course, in a group of 9. So slow that I told them to go on without me after the second stop which was conveniently on 1375, so I knew how to get back.

That is hard work but a beautiful place to ride. I now have a third thing I don't like: sandy whoops. Who the would guess there is such a thing as sandy whoops.

I'll learn, get stronger and have better technique... Last will help. By the time I did the third little loop, I was getting more comfortable and not having to exert so much.

Whomever recommended wrap around hand guards... Now I couldn't agree more. near smashed my hand between the bar and a tree. Got lucky that it didn't. Bought some nice ktm guards from Bill at Cycle Shack North along with a stand and a gear back. Many thanks to him for the MH pricing.

I didn't have Motocross gear yet... Second major mistake. Was wearing the lightest sport bike jacket I had and dragging jeans... Way way way too hot.

I'm very happy I regeared the bike. 13-50 is a little short, but it will do for now. I'm so slow it was first gear almost everywhere.

My goggles were complete garbage-Oakey something. I need a recommendation on something much nicer. Way too hot and didn't fit my nose properly. Couldn't breath. Tried on a pair of 100% race craft that another guy had. Those seemed to vent much better. Bought a pair.

Can't wait for the new suspension. That will really help.

Forest ride score: 1 drop, two near drops, six stalls and 1 gallon of sweat.

Good fun. Can't wait to go back.
Old 07-18-2015, 10:53 PM   #112
DLite
David

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
'06 Triumph D675
'03 R6 (Track)
'07 HD Street Bob

Quote:
Well I rode SHNF today. What an eye opener and boy do I suck. I was dead last, of course, in a group of 9. So slow that I told them to go on without me after the second stop which was conveniently on 1375, so I knew how to get back.

That is hard work but a beautiful place to ride. I now have a third thing I don't like: sandy whoops. Who the would guess there is such a thing as sandy whoops.

I'll learn, get stronger and have better technique... Last will help. By the time I did the third little loop, I was getting more comfortable and not having to exert so much.

Whomever recommended wrap around hand guards... Now I couldn't agree more. near smashed my hand between the bar and a tree. Got lucky that it didn't. Bought some nice ktm guards from Bill at Cycle Shack North along with a stand and a gear back. Many thanks to him for the MH pricing.

I didn't have Motocross gear yet... Second major mistake. Was wearing the lightest sport bike jacket I had and dragging jeans... Way way way too hot.

I'm very happy I regeared the bike. 13-50 is a little short, but it will do for now. I'm so slow it was first gear almost everywhere.

My goggles were complete garbage-Oakey something. I need a recommendation on something much nicer. Way too hot and didn't fit my nose properly. Couldn't breath. Tried on a pair of 100% race craft that another guy had. Those seemed to vent much better. Bought a pair.

I bet that electric start came in handy though.
DLite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2015, 12:33 AM   #113
maxgs

Member Garage

Oh yes. My observation is that most ppl have electric start now. And most of the bikes are ktm. 75%??
Old 07-19-2015, 06:27 AM   #114
uknow

Experience: 5 years

Bike(s):
2016 ktm 500exc
2014 ktm 690 duke (sold)
2009 CRF450r (sold)
2006 CRF250r (sold)

Still sounds like a fun ride. We need to get together one day and hit some trails. I went to Ultimate MX yesterday and was pleasantly surprised how well the bike did. Granted I did take it easy as well, the bike stuck in the turns and every jump felt like a trampoline , i think i was seat bouncing on accident and the suspension is so soft on the landings. Watching everyone kick there machines is something i don't miss
uknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2015, 07:09 AM   #115
maxgs

Member Garage

You enjoy the MX tracks. That's too much for me!
Old 07-19-2015, 08:11 AM   #116
BYRDMAN
WX MAN

Bike(s):
2015 KTM Adventure 1190
2007 KTM 300 XC smoker
2007 KTM 300 XC smoker

Member Garage

Quote:
Hand guards are a must in the forest!!
Quote:

trail riding for the first time is a humbling experience for sure!! I would definitely get dirt gear though. Off road Jersey and pants breathe a lot better than street gear. U need a chest protector because when you fall you don't want to take a handle bar to the chest! Street boots don't provide adequate protection so dirt boots are a must. The only pads I wear are knee pads but elbow pads would be a good idea.

What psi were you running your tires? should be 12-16psi

Old 07-19-2015, 09:46 AM   #117
magzx12r

Feedback Rating: (5)

Any trails closer to the south side of town?
Old 07-19-2015, 09:59 AM   #118
brandontx

Bike(s):
2008 Husqvarna SM 510
2008 Yamaha YZ250F

Did you take a long nap when you got home? Those sandy whoops are exhausting.
brandontx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2015, 10:00 AM   #119
uknow

Experience: 5 years

Bike(s):
2016 ktm 500exc
2014 ktm 690 duke (sold)
2009 CRF450r (sold)
2006 CRF250r (sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by magzx12r View Post
thats what im saying. i never ride trails cuz i dont know of any. I would like to try and find some on the SE side, or ill just trailer up to the north and ride.
uknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2015, 10:06 AM   #120
BYRDMAN
WX MAN

Bike(s):
2015 KTM Adventure 1190
2007 KTM 300 XC smoker
2007 KTM 300 XC smoker

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by magzx12r View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by uknow View Post
thats what im saying. i never ride trails cuz i dont know of any. I would like to try and find some on the SE side, or ill just trailer up to the north and ride.
there are none....you can make your own path with your street plated enduro but you are not going to get anything as knarly as the national forest. If you never been you have no idea what you are missing.....