Welcome back to us :/ Our hosts data center was down for the entire day.
MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.


Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

Reply
Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 07-10-2015, 04:18 PM   #1
Bevo
Hook 'em!
 
Bevo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Houston-The South Loop
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 24,323

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 3

Bike(s):
'12 CBR1000RR Red/Black
'14 CB1000R Matte Gray
'10 CBR1000RR (destroyed)
'09 CBR1000RR C-ABS (sold)
'09 CBR600RR C-ABS (sold)

Member Garage





Body Steering Vs. Countersteering



I'm not posting this because I think Keith Code is the be-all and end-all to motorcycling, but in my experience on the street, track, and riding with many folks over many miles for a lot of years, this is how a motorcycle operates in a turn. It's worth the 5 minute view if you've not seen it.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by bumblebee View Post
"I lack skillz"
Bevo is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked this post:
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Loose Steering?? Perf_White_GT General Discussion (Moto Related) 6 01-18-2011 03:08 PM
Counter Steering Grinchy Taking it to the Track 89 12-15-2007 11:04 AM
steering dampener ? thorn Performance and Modifications 2 10-11-2006 09:24 AM
steering damper jrock Performance and Modifications 13 04-04-2006 04:56 PM
Need a steering damper! ends big egos General Discussion (Moto Related) 27 02-22-2006 12:00 PM
Advertisement
Old 07-10-2015, 05:46 PM   #2
mrh
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 162














+1
mrh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2015, 05:53 PM   #3
Repth
Keyboard Warrior
 
Repth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Austin
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 3,647

Experience: 2 years
Trackdays: 2

Bike(s):
'14 Street Triple R









But do I use the rear brake, or nah?
__________________
"I learned long ago never to wrestle with a pig. You end up getting dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."
- George Bernard Shaw
Repth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2015, 05:56 PM   #4
TMAX
Forever MODERATE
 
TMAX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Cy-Fair
Feedback Rating: (1)
Posts: 4,976

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 4

Bike(s):
TMAX (Retired in California)
Xciting 500
XT 225
Duke 2
C14 & FZ6






Quote:
Originally Posted by Repth View Post
But do I use the rear brake, or nah?
you best use rear brake rook
__________________
BORC wannabe
TMAX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2015, 06:21 PM   #5
jimrad
Moderate pace forever .
 
jimrad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Bucee's
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 6,872

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 7











Why is the arrow backwards though? If the arrow were to point in the direction of travel it would show the opposite...
__________________
SDRC.prez Safety Dedicated Rider
Cypress Area Riders
jimrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2015, 06:23 PM   #6
melgamma
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Fulshear
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 159

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
02 Triumph Speed trip
Yamaprilia 421 (project)
09 BMW K1300S
BMWK1300S






OK, but that doesn't explain WHY it works....It works because by counter steering what you are doing is moving the front wheel away from the center line of the direction of travel; the bike then automatically leans to the opposite side to in order to compensate and bring the bike back to towards the direction of travel (center line). This works because the wheels act as giroscopes and their natural tendency when spinning is to continue in a straight line. That's also why it gets physically harder to steer quickly the faster you are going. Ever notice how hard you push on the bars when you are exiting a corner with the gas hard on in order to maintain a line?

Same applies entering a corner, counter steer and push down. Set the throttle just prior to the apex, power out and push down and apply power all the way out. And yes, use the rear brake if you like especially on entry. This is not a 'noob' thing. It helps settle the rear end. When you get good with it you can also use it on corner exit to control rear wheel spin (ignore if you have all that traction control stuff).

Now, free beer to anyone that can tell me (yes, I know the answer) why blipping the throttle before taking off from a stop works.
melgamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked this post:
Old 07-10-2015, 07:30 PM   #7
kenup283
Senior Member
 
kenup283's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Dear Park
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 589

Experience: 1 year
Trackdays: 3

Bike(s):
01 Bandit 1200




Member Garage





Melgamma, just curious, are you suggesting that revving the engine helps to stabilize the bike when it's initially not moving from the gyroscopic forces of the crank and other rotating parts in the engine?
__________________
Experience is not something you get until just after you needed it.
kenup283 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2015, 07:31 PM   #8
trunxgp1224
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 955












trunxgp1224 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2015, 07:34 PM   #9
Bevo
Hook 'em!
 
Bevo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Houston-The South Loop
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 24,323

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 3

Bike(s):
'12 CBR1000RR Red/Black
'14 CB1000R Matte Gray
'10 CBR1000RR (destroyed)
'09 CBR1000RR C-ABS (sold)
'09 CBR600RR C-ABS (sold)

Member Garage





Quote:
Originally Posted by melgamma View Post
Now, free beer to anyone that can tell me (yes, I know the answer) why blipping the throttle before taking off from a stop works.
It's the only way a HD won't stall?

I only blip before a downshift
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by bumblebee View Post
"I lack skillz"
Bevo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2015, 07:41 PM   #10
trunxgp1224
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 955












Quote:
Originally Posted by melgamma View Post
OK, but that doesn't explain WHY it works....It works because by counter steering what you are doing is moving the front wheel away from the center line of the direction of travel; the bike then automatically leans to the opposite side to in order to compensate and bring the bike back to towards the direction of travel (center line). This works because the wheels act as giroscopes and their natural tendency when spinning is to continue in a straight line. That's also why it gets physically harder to steer quickly the faster you are going. Ever notice how hard you push on the bars when you are exiting a corner with the gas hard on in order to maintain a line?

Same applies entering a corner, counter steer and push down. Set the throttle just prior to the apex, power out and push down and apply power all the way out. And yes, use the rear brake if you like especially on entry. This is not a 'noob' thing. It helps settle the rear end. When you get good with it you can also use it on corner exit to control rear wheel spin (ignore if you have all that traction control stuff).

Now, free beer to anyone that can tell me (yes, I know the answer) why blipping the throttle before taking off from a stop works.
has nothing to do with gyros or spinning wheels, or trail, or what ever.

Short Version:


Long version:
trunxgp1224 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2015, 07:42 PM   #11
pigfarmer
Banned
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: River Oaks
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 1,532

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
Salsa Horsethief
Paugcho bobber








User is banned

.
pigfarmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2015, 07:43 PM   #12
Bevo
Hook 'em!
 
Bevo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Houston-The South Loop
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 24,323

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 3

Bike(s):
'12 CBR1000RR Red/Black
'14 CB1000R Matte Gray
'10 CBR1000RR (destroyed)
'09 CBR1000RR C-ABS (sold)
'09 CBR600RR C-ABS (sold)

Member Garage





How Do Bikes Stay Up?

__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by bumblebee View Post
"I lack skillz"
Bevo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2015, 07:49 PM   #13
trunxgp1224
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 955












Bevo, watch one of the videos I've posted and tell me how a bike with none of those properties in your post still manages to stay upright.
trunxgp1224 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2015, 07:53 PM   #14
Bevo
Hook 'em!
 
Bevo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Houston-The South Loop
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 24,323

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 3

Bike(s):
'12 CBR1000RR Red/Black
'14 CB1000R Matte Gray
'10 CBR1000RR (destroyed)
'09 CBR1000RR C-ABS (sold)
'09 CBR600RR C-ABS (sold)

Member Garage





Quote:
Originally Posted by trunxgp1224 View Post
Bevo, watch one of the videos I've posted and tell me how a bike with none of those properties in your post still manages to stay upright.
I'll check it later, but are they missing anything that prevents them from being a rideable bike?
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by bumblebee View Post
"I lack skillz"
Bevo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2015, 07:56 PM   #15
trunxgp1224
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 955












life size model type bike so you can't ride it but it has a frame, steering head etc. Also has counter-rotating wheels to cancel out Gyro effect, no trail, and some other things. it's more a proof of concept than anything.
trunxgp1224 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2015, 08:06 PM   #16
Repth
Keyboard Warrior
 
Repth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Austin
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 3,647

Experience: 2 years
Trackdays: 2

Bike(s):
'14 Street Triple R









Quote:
Originally Posted by trunxgp1224 View Post
has nothing to do with gyros or spinning wheels, or trail, or what ever.

Short Version:


Long version:
Broken links
__________________
"I learned long ago never to wrestle with a pig. You end up getting dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."
- George Bernard Shaw
Repth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2015, 08:06 PM   #17
pigfarmer
Banned
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: River Oaks
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 1,532

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
Salsa Horsethief
Paugcho bobber








User is banned

.
pigfarmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2015, 08:14 PM   #18
trunxgp1224
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 955












Fixed?
Quote:
Originally Posted by trunxgp1224 View Post
has nothing to do with gyros or spinning wheels, or trail, or what ever.

Short Version:


Long version:
trunxgp1224 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2015, 08:19 PM   #20
Pre-K
Senior Member
 
Pre-K's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Tomball
Feedback Rating: (11)
Posts: 3,413

Experience: 1-3 months
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
2012 CBR1000RR
2014 Specialized








I feel super nerdy for thinking that Delft University video was interesting.
Pre-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Advertisement


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:15 PM.


MotoHouston.com is not responsible for the content posted by users.
Privacy Policy