MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 07-10-2015, 09:06 AM   #21
DanteLee
Sexy Dynamite

Feedback Rating: (3)

Experience: 6 years

Bike(s):
suzuki katana 96(sold)
honda cbr f4i 06 (sold)
ride my neighbors harley cuz he doesnt ride it

if they haven't already consult a lawyer for all other medical bills and compensation after the policy limits are reached......
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Gofundme a new bike.. wtf? Coolhandsluke General Discussion (Moto Related) 187 04-23-2015 08:00 PM
Advertisement
Old 07-10-2015, 09:08 AM   #22
Volfy
Fava Beans & a Chianti

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
'15 300RR
'15 250XCF-W
'14 Trophy SE
'10 VFR1200F
'05 GSXR600 (track)

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bevo View Post
Every policy has limits on what it pays. Anything over that limit is on the policy holder
True. I can't fathom not carrying enough to protect my own ... ets. It typically doesn't cost that much more to upgrade to the higher tiers. No doubt a lot of folks just go for the minimum and not think twice.
Volfy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2015, 09:42 AM   #23
Repth
Keyboard Warrior

Experience: 2 years
Trackdays: 2

Bike(s):
'14 Street Triple R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volfy View Post
True. I can't fathom not carrying enough to protect my own ... ets. It typically doesn't cost that much more to upgrade to the higher tiers. No doubt a lot of folks just go for the minimum and not think twice.
I think I pay like $10/mo more to carry the highest level of personal injury/property damage on my car instead of the minimum, and I'm a "high risk" driver that is young, male, and drives a "sports car". Why someone would carry minimum I cannot understand. If you're not worried about replacing your own vehicle or the amount of property damage you can do with a 2 ton wrecking ball at 70mph, fine. But think about what a minor wreck can do to a human being... It could easily be more expensive then demolishing a whole uninhabited house with your car.
Old 07-10-2015, 09:48 AM   #24
Adamrides

I've always wondered what happened with the money after people have reached their gofundme goal, i've seen some instances where people get like $10k more than they asked for, even more than that sometimes. Do the give it to charity or just pocket that and say thanks for the money suckers?
Adamrides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2015, 09:51 AM   #25
Adamrides

Quote:
Originally Posted by Repth View Post
I think I pay like $10/mo more to carry the highest level of personal injury/property damage on my car instead of the minimum, and I'm a "high risk" driver that is young, male, and drives a "sports car". Why someone would carry minimum I cannot understand. If you're not worried about replacing your own vehicle or the amount of property damage you can do with a 2 ton wrecking ball at 70mph, fine. But think about what a minor wreck can do to a human being... It could easily be more expensive then demolishing a whole uninhabited house with your car.
I know its not the same thing, but progressive quoted me $70/mo for uninsured motorists on my policy and that's the minimum amount
Old 07-10-2015, 09:54 AM   #26
VicTOEmizer

Feedback Rating: (3)

Bike(s):
rc51 (sold)
TTR 125 :)
Buell xb12r (sold)
2013 z1000 (sold)
Ducati multistrada :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adamrides View Post
I've always wondered what happened with the money after people have reached their gofundme goal, i've seen some instances where people get like $10k more than they asked for, even more than that sometimes. Do the give it to charity or just pocket that and say thanks for the money suckers?
Im beginning to believe the whole thing is a scam.
Old 07-10-2015, 09:55 AM   #27
Nastynesto85
Richard Serdown

Experience: 9 years
Trackdays: 3

Bike(s):
Dual sport 14 ninja zx6r
06 cbr 600rr (sold)
05 cbr 600rr (sold)
04 Ducati ss800 (sold)
02 gsxr 600 (sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toe View Post
Doesn't the owners of go fund me get a percentage of the money received

If it's got or tires , it's going to cost you
Nastynesto85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2015, 10:01 AM   #28
Volfy
Fava Beans & a Chianti

Bike(s):
'15 300RR
'15 250XCF-W
'14 Trophy SE
'10 VFR1200F
'05 GSXR600 (track)

Member Garage

Quote:
'Xactly. A colleague of mine hit a Lamborghini once... or was it a Ferrari? Don't matter anyhow. Point is... you never know what deep doodoo you might get yourself into. Imagine hitting a power pole next to a car dealer, which falls onto a row of brand new Porsches. The broken lines takes out 5 city blocks, with 43 businesses large and small, and a hospital all going dark. And that's just property damage. Personal injuries gets whole lot worse.

Likely to happen? You hope not. But that's what you buy insurance for... stuff you hope would never happen.
Liked this post:
Old 07-10-2015, 10:06 AM   #29
Adamrides

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toe View Post
Agreed. I don't like like this, in sorry if it's legit but there is no way for me to tell, not even a picture the the wrecked bike, in the hospital, nothing.
Old 07-10-2015, 10:12 AM   #30
Volfy
Fava Beans & a Chianti

Bike(s):
'15 300RR
'15 250XCF-W
'14 Trophy SE
'10 VFR1200F
'05 GSXR600 (track)

Member Garage

As for the OP... best wishes for you and yours. But this reminds me of the instance I remember in a popular VW forum once. A very senior contributor there posted about his wife having a triple bypass and supposedly fighting for her life. A whole lot of bleeding hearts kicked in money that totaled to a very large sum. A few members chimed in on why they should pay for somebody's clogged arteries, bad eating habits, lack of exercise, and obesity... but they were ferociously attacked by the majority.

A few month later. Said forum member announced her wife is recovering well and they've just bought a brand new VW New Beetle TDI.

Not saying you are exactly like them, of course.
Old 07-10-2015, 10:21 AM   #31
Bevo
Hook 'em!

Bike(s):
'12 CBR1000RR Red/Black
'14 CB1000R Matte Gray
'10 CBR1000RR (destroyed)
'09 CBR1000RR C-ABS (sold)
'09 CBR600RR C-ABS (sold)

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nastynesto85 View Post
Doesn't the owners of go fund me get a percentage of the money received
http://www.gofundme.com/pricing
Bevo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2015, 10:27 AM   #32
Yillbs

Experience: 5 years

Bike(s):
2007 Ninja 650R ( SOLD )
2012 FZ6R
2016 R6

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adamrides View Post
Agreed. I don't like like this, in sorry if it's legit but there is no way for me to tell, not even a picture the the wrecked bike, in the hospital, nothing.
Sorry you feel that way, I assumed you would have looked at the link. There are multiple pictures of both of them in the hospital, as well as them in the physical therapy clinic recovering. I didn't attach any pictures here as I just linked to the gofundmepage.
Old 07-10-2015, 10:31 AM   #33
Bevo
Hook 'em!

Bike(s):
'12 CBR1000RR Red/Black
'14 CB1000R Matte Gray
'10 CBR1000RR (destroyed)
'09 CBR1000RR C-ABS (sold)
'09 CBR600RR C-ABS (sold)

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yillbs View Post
Sorry you feel that way, I assumed you would have looked at the link. There are multiple pictures of both of them in the hospital, as well as them in the physical therapy clinic recovering. I didn't attach any pictures here as I just linked to the gofundmepage.
I guess Adam rides but can't be bothered to click posted links
Bevo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2015, 10:33 AM   #34
Yillbs

Bike(s):
2007 Ninja 650R ( SOLD )
2012 FZ6R
2016 R6

Member Garage

Quote:
They didn't have minimum, which may have played a roll in why they don't think twice about health insurance with the bike, I'm not sure. I do know her insurance was in fact maxed out, and she did have state minimums.

My parents did not. They had underinsured motorist, and higher payouts for personal. However, when you're in the hospital for three months, going over 250k is very easy to do. They both had multiple surgery attempts. Once they were released from the actual hostpital ( 2 months ) , they were in a physical therapy clinic for another 30 days or so, which they were told to leave because the bill was getting to high and they didn't have the cash to keep floating themselves.

The at fault driver's insurance, and herself will be sued, that's a lengthy process, and based on what she was driving, her insurance policy, and the way she was talking, she's just an average joe. She's not going to have another 250-350k laying around to sue for. A Judgement doesn't pay medical bills.

I've asked that everyone read the gofundme, look at the pictures, donate a small amount, or share the gofundme page. If you guys are not even going to look at it before saying it's a scam, then why even open the thread? You saw " go fund me " in the title and got excited about a possible person to troll, or?
Old 07-10-2015, 10:34 AM   #35
Adamrides

I clicked it earlier but nothing came up must have been the work WiFi, apologies.
Old 07-10-2015, 10:40 AM   #36
Repth
Keyboard Warrior

Bike(s):
'14 Street Triple R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yillbs View Post
They didn't have minimum, which may have played a roll in why they don't think twice about health insurance with the bike, I'm not sure. I do know her insurance was in fact maxed out, and she did have state minimums.

My parents did not. They had underinsured motorist, and higher payouts for personal. However, when you're in the hospital for three months, going over 250k is very easy to do. They both had multiple surgery attempts. Once they were released from the actual hostpital ( 2 months ) , they were in a physical therapy clinic for another 30 days or so, which they were told to leave because the bill was getting to high and they didn't have the cash to keep floating themselves.

The at fault driver's insurance, and herself will be sued, that's a lengthy process, and based on what she was driving, her insurance policy, and the way she was talking, she's just an average joe. She's not going to have another 250-350k laying around to sue for. A Judgement doesn't pay medical bills.

I've asked that everyone read the gofundme, look at the pictures, donate a small amount, or share the gofundme page. If you guys are not even going to look at it before saying it's a scam, then why even open the thread? You saw " go fund me " in the title and got excited about a possible person to troll, or?
Nobody is trolling you... Don't even start with that . Just because people don't agree with the idea of the gofundme does not automatically make them trolls. The opposing driver's insurance, as far as I understand it, is not on the hook for anything. They provided state minimum insurance to their insured motorist and paid it out on their behalf--they're clear. The driver is the one who chose to not carry enough insurance and they are the one on the hook for the bills. Of course they will not be able to pay them, though, so that's essentially irrelevant. Which is why health insurance is important.
Old 07-10-2015, 10:44 AM   #37
Volfy
Fava Beans & a Chianti

Bike(s):
'15 300RR
'15 250XCF-W
'14 Trophy SE
'10 VFR1200F
'05 GSXR600 (track)

Member Garage

One thing to keep in mind is that just because the hospital bills you a certain amount, it doesn't mean you automatically have to pay that... or else. Without getting into a tyrade on Healthcare cost in America, I'll just say that what they bill vs. what you reasonable owe can bear next to no resemblance. The patient does have a say in settling with the providers.

I would suggest you and/or your parents talk to somebody who know more about his sort of thing, before you start asking strangers for money.
Liked this post:
Old 07-10-2015, 10:46 AM   #38
Yillbs

Bike(s):
2007 Ninja 650R ( SOLD )
2012 FZ6R
2016 R6

Member Garage

Quote:
Nobody is trolling you... Don't even start with that . Just because people don't agree with the idea of the gofundme does not automatically make them trolls. The opposing driver's insurance, as far as I understand it, is not on the hook for anything. They provided state minimum insurance to their insured motorist and paid it out on their behalf--they're clear. The driver is the one who chose to not carry enough insurance and they are the one on the hook for the bills. Of course they will not be able to pay them, though, so that's essentially irrelevant. Which is why health insurance is important.
Multiple people were calling it a scam, and comparing it to whoever the was that got the VW. I simply pointed out, to look at the gofundme page for the pictures, no reason to assume it's a scam if you haven't bothered to look. Maybe trolling it the wrong word for you?

And yes, the at fault drivers insurance is maxed, and they won't be paying anything more. My parents had much higher, and that was maxed out as well, they don't have much more left to pay. As for people not liking my idea, I've mentioned quite a few times I appreciate the get wells, and if you don't want to share, or donate then that's fine.
Old 07-10-2015, 10:49 AM   #39
Repth
Keyboard Warrior

Bike(s):
'14 Street Triple R

Quote:
One thing to keep in mind is that just because the hospital bills you a certain amount, it doesn't mean you automatically have to pay that... or else. Without getting into a tyrade on Healthcare cost in America, I'll just say that what they bill vs. what you reasonable owe can bear next to no resemblance. The patient does have a say in settling with the providers.

I would suggest you and/or your parents talk to somebody who know more about his sort of thing, before you start asking strangers for money.
Basically tell them you can't pay, even if you can. They'll lop a huge chunk off. Tell them you still can't pay. Keep going until they can't reduce it. Then try to cover the funds.
Old 07-10-2015, 10:51 AM   #40
Yillbs

Bike(s):
2007 Ninja 650R ( SOLD )
2012 FZ6R
2016 R6

Member Garage

Quote:

It's been three months. We've already done that. Most every hospital has some sort of indigent care system in place, including Memorial Herman.

without going into the exact numbers of each bill to the penny, it would be kind of hard to make it understood. However, they did knock off a very very large portion of the bill. It's not going to get settled down to zero though, unfortunately. Which is why the gofundme page exists. Thanks for the insight though

Advertisement