MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 07-06-2015, 09:31 PM   #41
silverslug00

Feedback Rating: (0)

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by lococnc View Post
If on the north side, I have found Cycle Shack North to have decent selection of gear, I was surprised that I found boots in size 14 that I like. They do seem to have more mx gear than street... Also, don't be shy about asking for online price matching. I have several times and on the boots they actually beat Revzilla, maybe because no one else wanted the size 14...
I will check them out. I visited one cycle gear today and they didn't have my size in A* jackets but I got a pair of smx-1. Im gonna visit more shops tomorrow maybe if I can finish my college work.
silverslug00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Local shop with best selection? muddytaco Gear Talk 32 03-14-2012 07:47 PM
Local Bike Shop? Smart Shark General Discussion (Moto Related) 5 07-05-2011 08:09 PM
Local Machine Shop? green88notch How To's and Q & A's 4 04-21-2009 09:29 AM
Seen this in a local shop? Ulric Gear Talk 7 12-08-2006 10:29 PM
local shop?? loewer600 General Discussion (Moto Related) 13 09-27-2006 10:00 PM
Advertisement
Old 07-06-2015, 09:33 PM   #42
silverslug00

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by LRD View Post
Must have been a while ago couse 2 Wheel Toyz isn't what it used to be.
2 Wheel Toyz website is wonky and doesn't have that much of a selection but I will check them out what did they use to be like since obviously you've been going there a few years.
Old 07-06-2015, 09:39 PM   #43
MCCycles
MCCycles Turbocharged

Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 8 years

Bike(s):
Turbo R1

I bought A* full set of gear from 2 Wheel Toyz a couple months ago and got a great deal. He knocked a bunch off the price for buying a bunch of stuff.
MCCycles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 09:58 PM   #44
False

2 Wheel Toyz considers local customers a bit of a bother these days to their online business.

The told me they plan to go completely online only soon. Very little inventory in stock there these days.
False is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 10:55 PM   #45
silverslug00

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by False View Post
2 Wheel Toyz considers local customers a bit of a bother these days to their online business.

The told me they plan to go completely online only soon. Very little inventory in stock there these days.
Then what's the point in having a store. People like having a showroom and I think I speak for most in saying no one wants to play the shipping game. I buy something that should fir. O wait it's too tight I send it back and wait to be sent a slightly bigger size. But wait the first one felt better. Or actually in want a different model now. I like shops just so I can try things on. Different companies gear fits differntly. Like icon vs dainese. Dainese makes Damm near every jacket race cut. While my icon is super loose. A 44 in icon is comfortable for me. But I have to go to 48US/58EU to even consider a Dainese.
Old 07-06-2015, 11:49 PM   #46
Ek

Feedback Rating: (7)

Experience: 1-3 months
Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
SV 650
KTM 125sx
Harley Street Bob
Husky 610 Tard
Vino 125

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverslug00 View Post
Then what's the point in having a store. People like having a showroom and I think I speak for most in saying no one wants to play the shipping game. I buy something that should fir. O wait it's too tight I send it back and wait to be sent a slightly bigger size. But wait the first one felt better. Or actually in want a different model now. I like shops just so I can try things on. Different companies gear fits differntly. Like icon vs dainese. Dainese makes Damm near every jacket race cut. While my icon is super loose. A 44 in icon is comfortable for me. But I have to go to 48US/58EU to even consider a Dainese.
Problem is that people will try things on at the store then shop around online and order the cheapest. Not too many people willing to pay for service.
Ek is online now   Reply With Quote
Liked this post:
Old 07-06-2015, 11:54 PM   #47
silverslug00

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ek View Post
Problem is that people will try things on at the store then shop around online and order the cheapest. Not too many people willing to pay for service.
I will give points to that. But I would. If there's a local shop that supports locals and is willing to Bend a little why not get your gear there and go home with it that day.
Old 07-06-2015, 11:59 PM   #48
Ek

Feedback Rating: (7)

Experience: 1-3 months
Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
SV 650
KTM 125sx
Harley Street Bob
Husky 610 Tard
Vino 125

Quote:
I will give points to that. But I would. If there's a local shop that supports locals and is willing to Bend a little why not get your gear there and go home with it that day.
I'm with you. I have either purchased all my gear locally at a shop or in so.e cases second hand. I don't mail order too much as I like to keep the local guys around for the times I really need it that day.
Ek is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 02:48 AM   #49
silverslug00

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ek View Post
I'm with you. I have either purchased all my gear locally at a shop or in so.e cases second hand. I don't mail order too much as I like to keep the local guys around for the times I really need it that day.
Just sucks being out of the norm size is all.
Old 07-07-2015, 07:46 AM   #50
Patrick
Motorcycles Unlimited

Feedback Rating: (2)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
'14 Speed Triple R, '82 CB900F, '13 Streetglide

We keep a reasonable amount of gear in stock.
We typically stock 3 or 4 models of jackets with full size runs, same with gloves.
I keep at least 2 models of boots in stock with full size runs as well as Stryker vests and knee armor/shin guards.
We also keep about 20 helmets in stock.
If we don't have the style or model of gear you want we can usally get it in 1-3 business days, and if we measure/size you we guarantee fit.

NEED GEAR? We have a great selection in stock but if we need to order it we GUARANTEE FIT!
Where Houston riders go to have their bikes worked on, done right the first time!

muad

1964 FM 1960 West
Houston, TX 77090
Hours: Tues.-Fri. 9:30-6:00 Sat. 9-5:30
www.motorcycles-unlimited.com
http://www.facebook.com/motorcyclesunlimited
e-mail: patrick@motorcycles-unlimited.com
Patrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked this post:
Old 07-08-2015, 12:37 AM   #51
silverslug00

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick View Post
We keep a reasonable amount of gear in stock.
We typically stock 3 or 4 models of jackets with full size runs, same with gloves.
I keep at least 2 models of boots in stock with full size runs as well as Stryker vests and knee armor/shin guards.
We also keep about 20 helmets in stock.
If we don't have the style or model of gear you want we can usally get it in 1-3 business days, and if we measure/size you we guarantee fit.
I'm looking for an alpinestar jacket. But seems unfortunately the only people with military discount is big stores like revzilla and sportbike trackgear. Sportbiketrackgear.com offers a 5-10% discount depending on the brand for military.
Old 07-08-2015, 08:03 AM   #52
Patrick
Motorcycles Unlimited

Feedback Rating: (2)

Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
'14 Speed Triple R, '82 CB900F, '13 Streetglide

We do military discounts.
Come by and we'll get you taken care of.

NEED GEAR? We have a great selection in stock but if we need to order it we GUARANTEE FIT!
Where Houston riders go to have their bikes worked on, done right the first time!

muad

1964 FM 1960 West
Houston, TX 77090
Hours: Tues.-Fri. 9:30-6:00 Sat. 9-5:30
www.motorcycles-unlimited.com
http://www.facebook.com/motorcyclesunlimited
e-mail: patrick@motorcycles-unlimited.com
Patrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2015, 08:20 AM   #53
rrozell

Bike(s):
L3 GSX R600

Quote:
I'm looking for an alpinestar jacket. But seems unfortunately the only people with military discount is big stores like revzilla and sportbike trackgear. Sportbiketrackgear.com offers a 5-10% discount depending on the brand for military.
Cyclegear does military discounts. Used it all the time in San Diego. They also have a super loose return policy. Have them order a jacket. You can wear it for a while (under 30 days) and then return it if you don't like it.

I do agree selection in Houston is slim. No one has everything. Most here in htown would be in disbelief if the walked into the SD store. There jacket dept is the size of the whole alameda cycle gear. It was amazing. You can try everything on. I miss those days :/

From what I read Motorcycles Unlimited is the place to go but it's on the north side of town and I am usually to lazy to deal with that ride.
Old 07-08-2015, 08:22 AM   #54
greg328

Experience: 7 years
Trackdays: 4

Bike(s):
2007 Ducati 1098
2015 Yamaha R1

I have some big jackets for sale!

Silverslug,

I'm 6'3", 230 lbs, and I have several jackets for sale that should fit you. I have a leather Alpinestars red/white GP sport jacket, 58/48, and a couple mesh/textile jackets for sale, both big sizes. One is Icon with Yamaha patches, one is Frank Thomas with Ducati patches. For sale here on Motohouston, cheap. See my ad in the gear section:

http://www.motohouston.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=315141

The Alpinestars is not advertised, but since you mentioned you are looking for that, I'd sell it to you, it's like new and I don't wear it much...Not sure of price yet, paid about $400, would probably sell it for 50% of that. Like new.

I also have a big leather Triumph moto jacket for sale, wore it a couple times, then sold my Triumph Daytona. It is as new.

Let me know!
Greg
Houston Heights area
greg328 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2015, 08:33 PM   #55
silverslug00

Member Garage

Okay guys for all of you with advice. Input on Dainese V E1 N knee guards vs. Icon Stryker Knee guards?
Old 07-08-2015, 08:38 PM   #56
Nastynesto85
Richard Serdown

Experience: 9 years
Trackdays: 3

Bike(s):
Dual sport 14 ninja zx6r
06 cbr 600rr (sold)
05 cbr 600rr (sold)
04 Ducati ss800 (sold)
02 gsxr 600 (sold)

Quote:
Okay guys for all of you with advice. Input on Dainese V E1 N knee guards vs. Icon Stryker Knee guards?
Interested in Input as well for these , I have the cheap cycle gear ones and they work great. I'm considering buying new ones to wear over my jeans

If it's got or tires , it's going to cost you
Nastynesto85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2015, 08:39 PM   #57
silverslug00

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nastynesto85 View Post
Interested in Input as well for these , I have the cheap cycle gear ones and they work great. I'm considering buying new ones to wear over my jeans
I like that both look like they can be over or under jeans. I prefer being safe to aesthetics appeal.
Old 07-08-2015, 08:43 PM   #58
Nastynesto85
Richard Serdown

Bike(s):
Dual sport 14 ninja zx6r
06 cbr 600rr (sold)
05 cbr 600rr (sold)
04 Ducati ss800 (sold)
02 gsxr 600 (sold)

Quote:
I like that both look like they can be over or under jeans. I prefer being safe to aesthetics appeal.
For sure, it's just that the ones I have are a bit uncomfortable once you start sweating from rubbing on bare skin. Unless I wear my heat out tights under everything .

Old 07-08-2015, 09:06 PM   #59
silverslug00

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nastynesto85 View Post
For sure, it's just that the ones I have are a bit uncomfortable once you start sweating from rubbing on bare skin. Unless I wear my heat out tights under everything .
I don't have rights but I did get a heat shirt today at cycle gear. The northern store actually had some guys who know their . I learned a lot and felt comfortable shopping there.
Old 07-08-2015, 09:13 PM   #60
Nastynesto85
Richard Serdown

Bike(s):
Dual sport 14 ninja zx6r
06 cbr 600rr (sold)
05 cbr 600rr (sold)
04 Ducati ss800 (sold)
02 gsxr 600 (sold)

Quote:
I don't have rights but I did get a heat shirt today at cycle gear. The northern store actually had some guys who know their . I learned a lot and felt comfortable shopping there.
The one on 45 north and west rd. ? They used to have a cute Hispanic chick that worked there . Although I haven't been in that cycle gear In about a yr.

Advertisement