MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 06-26-2007, 08:00 AM   #1
hfa3g11
OG

Feedback Rating: (4)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

2005 Honda CBR600RR Tribal Edition *retired*

Send a message via AIM to hfa3g11
Next round motogp: Indianapolis!!!

this is copied from 600rr.net. thanks to sooperman12

The spectacle of MotoGP motorcycle racing is expected to take to the Indianapolis Motor Speedway next fall. (Adam Pretty/Getty Images)

Tony George has the monopoly on four-open-wheeled entertainment in this country but, starting in 2008, one of the most electrifying things on two wheels will be performing at the Indianapolis Motor Speedway.

SPEEDTV.com has learned that IMS has finalized a deal to bring the MotoGP series to the Speedway next fall. MotoGP officials were spotted dining with IMS president and chief operating officer Joie Chitwood earlier this week.

“We are working very hard to having a MotoGP event here sometime in 2008 as a kickoff to our centennial era,” said Fred Nation, IMS vice president of communications. “Remember, our first motorsports event at the Speedway in 1909 was a motorcycle race.”

The international motorcycle series, which currently competes 18 times all over the globe, will join NASCAR’s Brickyard 400 and the 92nd Indianapolis 500 on the IMS calendar in ’08 with Formula 1's U.S. Grand Prix now expected to return for its ninth run.

American Nicky Hayden captured last year’s championship in a thrilling, down-to-the-wire duel with Italian superstar Valentino Rossi and the highlight of his season was a victory at Laguna Seca, Calif.

“I have not been officially informed yet but, for us, if awareness of MotoGP is raised, it’s good for everybody,” said Gill Campbell, general manager of Mazda Laguna Seca Raceway. “It’s the most exciting form of racing in the world and crammed 50,000 people a day in here last year for three days.”

MotoGP returned to the USA last year at Laguna following a 10-year absence and drew a huge crowd at the picturesque road course in Monterey County. Americans Kenny Roberts Jr., Kurtis Roberts, Colin Edwards and John Hopkins are full-time riders along with Kentucky-born Hayden.

Kenny Roberts, Eddie Lawson, Freddie Spencer and Wayne Rainey are all former MotoGP champs.
hfa3g11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 06-27-2007, 04:19 AM   #2
R6Rescue
Crash (MotoGP Guru)

Feedback Rating: (0)

Bike(s):
2006 R6 (Street)
2011 R6 (Racebike)
2008 R6 (Deceased Best Friend's)

It's not a sure thing yet. I will buy my tickets when I see it on next year's calendar. Dorna is not going to put it on the schedule until they see what happens at this year's USGP. This is Laguna's last year to get their act together. Between track pavement, people movement, attendance, and hospitality, Laguna has to get it right this year. The buses spectacle last year was ridiculous, trust me, I was there. Not to mention, Indy isn't even the best F1 track, and unless they make major changes, there will be no GP there either. Everyone knows how picky Dorna can be.

Bryan
R6Rescue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2007, 07:01 AM   #3
CalamariKid

Bike(s):
2008 FZ1, 1995 R1100GS, 2008 WR450F

Why not do it at Miller?
CalamariKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2007, 09:05 AM   #4
hotnanas
i rock knobbies

Feedback Rating: (4)

i heard they may reverse the track direction because of that immoveable wall...it was in one of my many magazines...regardless, i hope we get a second USGP
hotnanas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2007, 01:58 PM   #5
R6Rescue
Crash (MotoGP Guru)

Bike(s):
2006 R6 (Street)
2011 R6 (Racebike)
2008 R6 (Deceased Best Friend's)

Barber would be my choice too! I'm with Vfracer-r though, I can't see bikes going by that wall. And not to mention, MotoGP bikes on the banking, it would be like an AMA race! No one wants that, I mean, this is MotoGP guys!

Bryan
R6Rescue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2007, 02:02 PM   #6
RACER X
what R you lookin' at?

Feedback Rating: (26)

Trackdays: 8

Bike(s):
'14 Honda GROM! 181cc of fury!!
'10 Aprilia Tuono Factory-SOLD
'08 Busa - sold
A few more bought
A few more sold

barber is too small a track and the moto gp bikes to fast, also the surrouding area couldn't support the crowds.
Trump/Zimmerman 2016
Make America Great Again!
RACER X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2007, 04:30 PM   #7
ArturoC
51% Geek, 49% SuperHero

Bike(s):
'99 GSXR600
'04 NSR 50
'09 Yamaha WR250X
'07 Triumph 675

Member Garage

Send a message via ICQ to ArturoC Send a message via AIM to ArturoC Send a message via Yahoo to ArturoC Send a message via Skype™ to ArturoC
Barber would be my choice even though they'd never get higher than 5 gear. Miller is too flat.. I vote for TWS (Texas World Speedway)! :laughing6
CMRA [Prov Nov]ice #404
Sponsors: D&D - GoPro - Amsoil
ArturoC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2007, 05:25 PM   #8
Lil Squid
Bond Girl

Bike(s):
MV Agusta F4
Ducati GT1000
CRF50 with training wheels

When I was in Birmingham, my information on Barber was that the city of Birmingham was not willing to support the event, despite Mr. Barber's best efforts. The support was to include overtime for police and emergency services, etc.; for some reason the city did not view the revenue brought by such high-profile event as attractive enough to make the costs worthwhile. I suspect there is a lot more politics than economics involved in this decision. What a shame.. But I'm looking forward to the WSB round there!
Lil Squid is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisement