MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 07-01-2015, 03:26 PM   #1
D-Man

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 3 years
Trackdays: 8

Bike(s):
2012 Multistrada 1200S
2012 Vespa GTS 300
2004 Husky 450 smr (track)

Oil Change Question- time vs mileage?

MHers,

Got a question regarding oil changes I'd like y'alls opinion on. Got a 2012 Ducati Multistrada. Bought it about 2 years ago with 20K miles. Manual calls for oil/filter change every 7500 miles, with major service every 15K. The first year I had it, I changed the oil twice. Once at 22,500 (myself), and again at 30K (Houston Superbikes, part of the 30K service, something fancy and synthetic, I'm sure). Over the past year, though, I haven't been able to ride as much. Now the bike's at 32,500 miles, but it's been basically 1 year since its last oil change. Riding patterns have varied over the past year, sometimes I'll ride it around town every day for a month, sometimes it's sat (in my garage) for up to 2 months without being ridden. Very few long rides. The bike's been great over this past year, 0 mechanical issues. Starts every time, runs great. My question is this: do you think it's a good idea to change the oil now, or can I wait, and if so, how long? Opinions?
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Oil questions - Time for an oil change bioGuru General Discussion (Moto Related) 28 04-09-2014 08:32 PM
mileage question novacain General Discussion (Moto Related) 7 11-09-2008 08:10 PM
Oil change question wlgorman General Discussion (Moto Related) 49 03-04-2008 06:18 PM
OIL CHANGE QUESTION sixerSLYGUY How To's and Q & A's 22 11-08-2007 10:51 AM
First Oil Change Question Mala Lingua How To's and Q & A's 37 04-01-2007 12:34 PM
Advertisement
Old 07-01-2015, 03:41 PM   #2
TMAX
Forever MODERATE

Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 4

Bike(s):
TMAX (Retired in California)
Xciting 500
XT 225
Duke 2
C14 & FZ6

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Man View Post
MHers,

Got a question regarding oil changes I'd like y'alls opinion on. Got a 2012 Ducati Multistrada. Bought it about 2 years ago with 20K miles. Manual calls for oil/filter change every 7500 miles, with major service every 15K. The first year I had it, I changed the oil twice. Once at 22,500 (myself), and again at 30K (Houston Superbikes, part of the 30K service, something fancy and synthetic, I'm sure). Over the past year, though, I haven't been able to ride as much. Now the bike's at 32,500 miles, but it's been basically 1 year since its last oil change. Riding patterns have varied over the past year, sometimes I'll ride it around town every day for a month, sometimes it's sat (in my garage) for up to 2 months without being ridden. Very few long rides. The bike's been great over this past year, 0 mechanical issues. Starts every time, runs great. My question is this: do you think it's a good idea to change the oil now, or can I wait, and if so, how long? Opinions?
you know in most manuals they never specify a time just miles. ive had five.

figuring some hardly do 7500 a year youd think it would be. anyways hows the duke?
Old 07-01-2015, 03:46 PM   #3
Rttoys
Insurance poor

Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
99 Ducati 996s
07 Yamaha FZ1
14 Yamaha TW200
13 Kawasaki 300se
08 Ducati Hypermotard

I change the oil in everything at least every year, no matter the miles.......well, except my lawn mower. it hasn't seen an oil change in 10 years........I can't remember the last time I checked it as a matter of fact....... hhhhmmmmm

ok, back on topic.

The engine will pick up moisture on the inside (not like we are humid here or anything) and it will sit with the oil. "starting and running it" helps boil it out, but only riding it and getting the engine temps up will actually do it right.

The filter is also picking up contaminants and holding them, along with the filter deteriorating due to age. I don't know the life expectancy of a filter, but for the few bucks they cost, I don't want to find out.

I guess, in theory, less than $100 in parts is cheap insurance on a $20k bike. my $.02
Old 07-01-2015, 03:46 PM   #4
zrx24

Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
Kawasaki ZRX1200R
KTM 350 XCF-W
Yamaha R6 - track only

Once a year is common if you're not hitting the mileage triggers in the service manual. It's mainly the condensation that builds up from short rides like to and from the corner store that is the primary concern. If your "short rides" get the engine up to full operating temp you can extend your oil change out to the mileage criteria since you'll be burning off the condensates with each ride.
zrx24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 04:13 PM   #5
LRD
Kawi Green!

Experience: 4 years
Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
05 636
08 250 (Sold)

Rather change the oil and not need it than need it and not change it.
LRD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 04:24 PM   #6
bumblebee
Yeah I'm flippin' YOU off

Feedback Rating: (3)

Bike(s):
'74 Suzuki GT380
'82 XS650 StreetTracker
'10 Ducati Streetfighter
'83 Yamaha Seca 900

I just put a pan under the bike while it's parked. What ever leaks out I pour back in when the pan gets full.
That way you never have to change it!
Bevo- "I lack skillz"
bumblebee is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked this post:
Old 07-01-2015, 07:09 PM   #7
A_G

Experience: 8 years
Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
fz8
chinese dirtbike
87 Yamaha venture Royale (Destroyed)

I was changing mine every 3k but that was becoming a once or more a month deal so im starting to do it at 5k now.

Now my pickup is a different story, every 3 months or so.

remember your oil isnt just a lubricant, it doesnt turn black (orange amber w/e) from lubricating it actually picks up carbon from combustion.
A_G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 08:45 PM   #8
Bevo
Hook 'em!

Trackdays: 3

Bike(s):
'12 CBR1000RR Red/Black
'14 CB1000R Matte Gray
'10 CBR1000RR (destroyed)
'09 CBR1000RR C-ABS (sold)
'09 CBR600RR C-ABS (sold)

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by A_G View Post
it actually picks up carbon from combustion.
And a lot of other byproducts
Bevo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2015, 06:44 AM   #9
wackjum
Attorney at law

Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 8 years

Bike(s):
No bikes right now. :(

This exact question has come up often among sports car owners who don't drive their cars often. Oil analysis has been done on cars that don't get driven much and there are no signs of aging oil as long as the car is stored in a garage.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums...p/topics/110/1
Old 07-03-2015, 04:29 PM   #10
HS Driver

Experience: 5 years

Bike(s):
Suzuki V-Strom 650

I sat through a lecture from a Shell Oil guy once. He said that mineral oil interacts with the aluminum engines to create acids that corrode the engine. He said that synthetic oils do not do that. His recommendation was to change the oil every three months, regardless of miles, or use synthetic oil. I use synthetic and only change it when I hit the miles.
HS Driver is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisement