MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > Taking it to the Track
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 06-30-2015, 08:42 AM   #1
Classax
Objective Observer

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 8 years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
2014 1190RX

2013 Ninja 300
2012 636 (sold)
2012 Diavel (sold)

Member Garage

Tire Pressure Consensus Question, NOT the one youíre thinking

There are at least half a million threads about tire sizes, brands and which respective pressures it is recommended to run. Iím not asking about that.

My question is much more general. I understand that lowering the tire pressure allows the carcass to flex more and generate more heat. Assuming that you want to keep the tires in particular optimal temperature range, am I correct in assuming that GENERALLY speaking:

as ambient and track temperatures rise we could/should raise the cold pressures slightly ( a lbs or two) to keep the tires from overheating and becoming greasy.

as ambient and track temperatures fall we could/should lower the cold pressures slightly in order to ensure the tires come up to and remain at temp and donít cold tear

Is that GENERALLY correct?
Anyone want to shed a little more light on the subject of what to do with tire pressure as the track heats up or cools down during the day, or what to do with tire pressures for fall/springs vs mid summer track days?

Thanks
Classax is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Michelin Pilot Pure tire pressure question Tojo92 Taking it to the Track 29 09-22-2012 05:58 PM
My tire is low tire pressure. Who is the best place to take it for air? hotnanas How To's and Q & A's 74 11-19-2008 01:50 PM
tire pressure question bioGuru General Discussion (Moto Related) 11 11-11-2008 09:57 PM
tire pressure YZFracer212 Taking it to the Track 25 09-30-2008 08:03 AM
tire pressure pester Off Topic 2 08-23-2008 10:00 PM
Advertisement
Old 06-30-2015, 08:55 AM   #2
maxgs

Member Garage

Correct. As for changes throughout the day with temperature variation, you can buy a pyrometer and measure tire temp immediately after you exit the track. You'll want a probe to measure the temp under the surface of the tire.

You can then adjust tire pressures to keep the temps in your preferred operating range.

Longacre also makes a temperature compensated tire pressure gauge of you really want to get techie. I have a memory pyrometer but not a temp compensated gauge.
Liked this post:
Old 06-30-2015, 09:33 AM   #3
98yamaha
oiler317

Experience: 6 years

Bike(s):
2007 GSXR600 Track Bike

I would definitely recommend getting a tire pyrometer if you're having issues with tires tearing. It was recommended to me by Whoop and it has already paid off for me. I kept tearing up tires and going thru them quickly because I couldn't figure out the right pressures to run. I now just check my tire temps with the pyrometer after a session out to see where I'm at and make adjustments from there. My tires are feeling a lot stickier too now that I am running them in the correct temperature range. I bought the same one that Dave Moss recommends in the thread below. Its a good thread to read thru regarding tire temps.

http://pnwriders.com/threads/tire-te...e-moss.183660/
98yamaha is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked this post:
Old 06-30-2015, 03:04 PM   #4
ArkansasDave

Experience: 2 years

Bike(s):
2010 CRF450R
2014 Honda Grom
2015 KTM 250xc

I listen to what hutch says for tire pressures and then adjust them based on what the tire looks like after coming off the track. Generally if I keep the pressures on the warmers stay the same all day and it works. Though out the day the pressures on the warmers will rise so I let some air out to keep them at the same pressure.
ArkansasDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2015, 03:24 PM   #5
Bevo
Hook 'em!

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 3

Bike(s):
'12 CBR1000RR Red/Black
'14 CB1000R Matte Gray
'10 CBR1000RR (destroyed)
'09 CBR1000RR C-ABS (sold)
'09 CBR600RR C-ABS (sold)

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArkansasDave View Post
I listen to what hutch says for tire pressures and then adjust them based on what the tire looks like after coming off the track. Generally if I keep the pressures on the warmers stay the same all day and it works. Though out the day the pressures on the warmers will rise so I let some air out to keep them at the same pressure.
Yeah, air expands and contracts in direct relation to temperature. If the pressure increases too much because of overheating, air should be added to the tire to bring the temp back down.
Bevo is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked this post:
Old 06-30-2015, 03:32 PM   #6
Classax
Objective Observer

Experience: 8 years

Bike(s):
2014 1190RX

2013 Ninja 300
2012 636 (sold)
2012 Diavel (sold)

Member Garage

I guess that's a better way to say it as a general rule of thub-

Add air if the tire is getting too hot
release air if the tire is staying too cold
Classax is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked this post:
Old 06-30-2015, 04:37 PM   #7
Ek

Feedback Rating: (7)

Experience: 1-3 months
Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
SV 650
KTM 125sx
Harley Street Bob
Husky 610 Tard
Vino 125

I don't really ever adjust my pressures during the day to make up for track temp. Once I find a good setting that works its works throughout the day. I am not running track record paces though. Proper suspensions settings have a great deal to do with tire wear and tear and should be addressed as well. You have the theory of pressures correct, most of us track mortals won't need to keep adjusting the tire pressures all day though.
Ek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2015, 05:49 PM   #8
wiayeman
TOONTOON BLACKNWHITEARMY

Bike(s):
99 SV650 (race)x2
79 XS650
08 EX250R (race)
14 MSX125
88 YSR (race)

Find a good suspension guy, and you're half way there.

Listen to the tyre vendor for a range. Each bike varies depending on hardware. Each rider varies depending on habits and skill set.

I was told 5 years ago to go 32/26 on Pirelli. 5 years on, I run 31/24 off the warmers and don't look at it again.

Your results will vary.....
CMRA#645
Purple Helmets Endurance Team
wiayeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 10:31 PM   #9
Mr.P
Driving Duh-Bus

Feedback Rating: (5)

Bike(s):
CBR1000RR

You are correct. As temps go down, let out air. That will build heat in the tire.

But, All that really matters is hot, aka on track, temp. Regardless of cold temp setting, there is an optimal temp for the tires to hit the perfect PSI in steady state hot conditions. In relation to cold temp, the change in cold temp PSI will equate to a relative change in hot temp PSI. Lowering cold temp setting will lower hot temp PSI. Tire flex will not cause an under inflated tire to exceed the pressure of an over inflated tire when run in steady state hot conditions. How could it? Conditions in the tire will stabilize.

For reference, in terms of PSI versus temp...

Tire Pressure Consensus Question, NOT the one youíre thinking

Car tires. But, 2psi creep in PSI for about a 20 degree change in ambient temperature.

Last edited by Mr.P; 07-01-2015 at 10:34 PM.
Mr.P is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked this post:
Old 07-02-2015, 05:33 AM   #10
Bevo
Hook 'em!

Bike(s):
'12 CBR1000RR Red/Black
'14 CB1000R Matte Gray

Member Garage

For the street, I set cold tire pressure during the hottest part of the day, the day before I ride.
Old 07-05-2015, 05:06 PM   #11
ArtistMarty

Bike(s):
2009 zx10rse

I use nitrogen to minimize the moisture and help maintain a more stable temp.
I have a nitrogen generator available at home if anyone is interested in trying...

Air compressors don't do a very good job of keeping the moisture out of the air system.
ArtistMarty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2015, 06:34 PM   #12
Bevo
Hook 'em!

Bike(s):
'12 CBR1000RR Red/Black
'14 CB1000R Matte Gray

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtistMarty View Post

Air compressors don't do a very good job of keeping the moisture out of the air system.
Especially in Houston, but I wear tires out so fast it's not really an issue, plus I usually just use a bike pump instead of my compressor

Advertisement