MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > Taking it to the Track
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 06-29-2015, 02:52 PM   #21
Rod
Near Miss Racing Team #96

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
R3 2015
TS185 74
EX250R 2010 "A" race bike
EX250R 2008 "B" race bike
150cc Rocketta Scooter "the "

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yorke View Post
I would say a steering damper is a MUST HAVE, I've seen riders crash from a tank slapper.
and the steel braided brake lines. I remember when I was getting ready to move up to LV3 I was getting lots of brake fade at the end of the session...
CMRA#672
Rod is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked this post:
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
TWS (Texas World Speedway) Track day (Level 1) Criticize me! Slovy Taking it to the Track 47 04-17-2013 10:56 PM
TWS (Texas World Speedway) First Track Day (Level 1) 4-13-2013 Lee-RR Taking it to the Track 11 04-16-2013 02:03 PM
Ride Smart Track Day - 7.03 & 7.04 @ECR - FOLLOW UP cdill35 Ridesmart Motorcycle School 6 07-06-2009 07:29 PM
RideSmart Track Day - 7.03.2009 & 7.04.2009 @ ECR - 2 Day Extravaganza!! Ridesmart Ridesmart Motorcycle School 6 07-02-2009 02:02 PM
RideSmart & LSTD Track Day - 5.09.2009 & 5.10.2009 @TWS (Texas World Speedway) - SPECIAL 2 DAY PROMOTION !!! Ridesmart Ridesmart Motorcycle School 18 05-09-2009 09:56 PM
Advertisement
Old 06-29-2015, 02:53 PM   #22
r6racer
track

Feedback Rating: (4)

Experience: 2 years

Bike(s):
2008 Yamaha R6 Race/track
2012 Yamaha WGP R6
2004 Kawasaki KLx250 2-stroke
2008 Yamaha R6 Street *Sold*
2005 Yamaha R6 Track *Sold*

Member Garage

Quote:
I would say a steering damper is a MUST HAVE, I've seen riders crash from a tank slapper.
yeah totally agree. especially on the r6 the front end gets pretty crazy
r6racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2015, 02:53 PM   #23
ArkansasDave

Bike(s):
2010 CRF450R
2014 Honda Grom
2015 KTM 250xc

Quote:
Don't worry about lap times, learn the race line at each track you go to and focus on hitting all the apex's. If you find yourself blowing the line and not hitting the apex's, then slow down and keep working until you can turn good laps without making any mistakes. Use the entire day to build your speed up, walk your braking markers in a little bit each session. As well as getting on the throttle little quicker each session.In other words don't try to make huge leaps each lap, build up to it, slowly.
I agree with this 100%, but me being me I like knowing my lap times. If you use a lap timer the right way it's fine. If you do get one then don't look at it while you're riding. Ride the way Yorke described and check after the sessio or at the end of the day. Another way to track your progress is take gopro footage and when you watch it and review your riding you can also time the laps.

The bolded part is extremely important.
ArkansasDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked this post:
Old 06-29-2015, 03:00 PM   #24
Yorke

Trackdays: 2

Bike(s):
2003 CBR954RR
1979 KZ810 Cafe Racer
2001 Ducati 996s (RIP)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArkansasDave View Post
I agree with this 100%, but me being me I like knowing my lap times. If you use a lap timer the right way it's fine. If you do get one then don't look at it while you're riding. Ride the way Yorke described and check after the sessio or at the end of the day. Another way to track your progress is take gopro footage and when you watch it and review your riding you can also time the laps.

YES! That's what I do, I just gopro each session and then go home and time my laps while watching the video. A lap timer is a good way to track progress, just don't focus on it and let it affect your mood.
Yorke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2015, 03:03 PM   #25
hes

Bike(s):
MV Agusta F4; CC; Tamburini; Brutale and F3
2015 BMW GSA 1200
2008 KTM 530 EXC; 2014 Yamaha 450YZF
2008 Ducati Desmosedici
1980 Vespa (my track bike)

Quote:
Opinions on a forum this size are always going to be different. But that is what they are. I have done many track days. None of the two bikes I track (Brutale and F3) have steering dampers. I remember a couple times on the Brutale when one of those would have been nice, but far from being a MUST HAVE in my case.

A must have to me is common sense. Once you have that, everything else is secondary.
hes is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked this post:
Old 06-29-2015, 03:06 PM   #26
Seawall

Experience: 1 year
Trackdays: 4

Bike(s):
09 YZF-R6 Track/Street

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArkansasDave View Post

NICE i think i'll do that, time my gopro, all i need is the satisfaction on what i did wrong or right
Old 06-29-2015, 03:20 PM   #27
Yorke

Bike(s):
2003 CBR954RR
1979 KZ810 Cafe Racer
2001 Ducati 996s (RIP)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hes View Post
Opinions on a forum this size are always going to be different. But that is what they are. I have done many track days. None of the two bikes I track (Brutale and F3) have steering dampers. I remember a couple times on the Brutale when one of those would have been nice, but far from being a MUST HAVE in my case.

A must have to me is common sense. Once you have that, everything else is secondary.
Ya common sense is pretty important, but a cheap device that prevents tank slappers is important from my experience. I saw a guy slide the rear tire and go into an uncontrolled tank slapper up into the front straight wall at TWS (Texas World Speedway) that ended pretty badly for the rider.

Another time a team mate hit the "Gut check" at MSRH on his Triumph 675 and without warning went into a tank slapper that resulted in a wreck. So, one guy never did track days again and the other immediately bought a steering damper.

I don't ride without them, the risk just isn't worth the cost of damage and injury to me.
Old 06-29-2015, 03:24 PM   #28
hes

Bike(s):
MV Agusta F4; CC; Tamburini; Brutale and F3
2015 BMW GSA 1200
2008 KTM 530 EXC; 2014 Yamaha 450YZF
2008 Ducati Desmosedici
1980 Vespa (my track bike)

Quote:
Ya common sense is pretty important, but a cheap device that prevents tank slappers is important from my experience. I saw a guy slide the rear tire and go into an uncontrolled tank slapper up into the front straight wall at TWS (Texas World Speedway) that ended pretty badly for the rider.

Another time a team mate hit the "Gut check" at MSRH on his Triumph 675 and without warning went into a tank slapper that resulted in a wreck. So, one guy never did track days again and the other immediately bought a steering damper.

I don't ride without them, the risk just isn't worth the cost of damage and injury to me.
Agree mate on the cost/benefit of this device.

On the other hand, if the guy you mention above had a slide rear tire, his problem was not the steering damper but too much throttle which could have been avoided had the bike had traction control maybe?
hes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2015, 03:27 PM   #29
Yorke

Bike(s):
2003 CBR954RR
1979 KZ810 Cafe Racer
2001 Ducati 996s (RIP)

Ya, the guy was riding a little over his head trying to get a tow from Dave Napier. You just let that guy go.
Old 06-29-2015, 06:48 PM   #30
Classax
Objective Observer

Experience: 8 years

Bike(s):
2014 1190RX

2013 Ninja 300
2012 636 (sold)
2012 Diavel (sold)

Member Garage

Quote:

Places on the front straight at TWS (Texas World Speedway) are rough and its not uncommon to see the front catch a little air. Same with Gut Check you're hard on the gas for the little kink so the front end is light and you're trying to turn and still accelerate over the bumps. Steering damper really helps but so does

relaxing the death grip on the bars. Holding on too tight can inadvertently puts input into the bars and prevents the bike from tracking true. A coach can help you figure out whether its you or the bike. If you are ramping up incrementally you will notice stuff like that way before it becomes an oh moment. The bike will tell you what it needs as you need it if you take it slow and do the work.

Last edited by Classax; 06-29-2015 at 06:51 PM.
Classax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2015, 07:10 PM   #31
Yorke

Bike(s):
2003 CBR954RR
1979 KZ810 Cafe Racer
2001 Ducati 996s (RIP)

This is true, if your arms or hands are getting tired, you are gripping too hard.
Old 06-29-2015, 07:21 PM   #32
maxgs

Member Garage

I know a lot of people buy steering dampers early on. While I never raced, I was pretty quick everywhere and I never did buy one. I have about everything done to my bike that you can get and still no damper. It's not on the list of something I need for my particular bike.

I haven't seen anyone mention Twist of the Wrist 2. Reading that book early one pays big dividends.
Liked this post:
Old 06-29-2015, 09:00 PM   #33
silverslug00

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxgs View Post
I know a lot of people buy steering dampers early on. While I never raced, I was pretty quick everywhere and I never did buy one. I have about everything done to my bike that you can get and still no damper. It's not on the list of something I need for my particular bike.

I haven't seen anyone mention Twist of the Wrist 2. Reading that book early one pays big dividends.
Or watch it on youtube for free.
silverslug00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2015, 09:31 PM   #34
maxgs

Member Garage

Ah. Good point. I never watched the video, I read the book.

Btw, TiaTool reminded me that I have a stock electronic damper. It's been good enough thus far.
Old 06-29-2015, 10:46 PM   #35
Yorke

Bike(s):
2003 CBR954RR
1979 KZ810 Cafe Racer
2001 Ducati 996s (RIP)

On my 01 GSXR 750, I just refreshed the stock damper with thicker oil and it works fine. I am not saying buy the $700.00 Ohlins, but a functioning damper is a good thing to have in my opinion. I race, so I have to have them on my bikes. Good throttle control is always the ultimate goal regardless.

I guess I need to update my Avatar, LOL, that's from my first track day a while back. Says 2 track days, LOL, that's little out of date.
Old 06-29-2015, 11:40 PM   #36
r6racer
track

Feedback Rating: (4)

Bike(s):
2008 Yamaha R6 Race/track
2012 Yamaha WGP R6
2004 Kawasaki KLx250 2-stroke
2008 Yamaha R6 Street *Sold*
2005 Yamaha R6 Track *Sold*

Member Garage

Quote:
On my 01 GSXR 750, I just refreshed the stock damper with thicker oil and it works fine. I am not saying buy the $700.00 Ohlins, but a functioning damper is a good thing to have in my opinion. I race, so I have to have them on my bikes. Good throttle control is always the ultimate goal regardless.

I guess I need to update my Avatar, LOL, that's from my first track day a while back. Says 2 track days, LOL, that's little out of date.
The R6 is bad on head shake, you need a damper on there or you're gunna eat if you try to go fast on our bumpy tracks with that bike. you'll be fine in level 1 but try to get one asap. i havent ridden those other bikes brutale or w/e but i doubt that their front end is anything like the R6
r6racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2015, 07:03 AM   #37
Seawall

Bike(s):
09 YZF-R6 Track/Street

i guess i'll look into a steering damper next year
Old 07-01-2015, 03:46 PM   #38
Seawall

Bike(s):
09 YZF-R6 Track/Street

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxgs View Post
Updating to include sliders and case covers....

It's an interesting question. From a safety perspective, the rules are relatively consistent across the orgs. Full leathers, gloves, boots.

On the equipment side, the progression I've seen is something like this:

Level 1
-stock suspension set up for rider weight
-frame sliders
-street/track tires for example the Bridgestone BT003 Ride Smart (racing/street)
-one piece leathers (rentals are available)
-riding boots like sidi's
-gauntlet gloves
-good brake fluid (motul 600, Castrol SRF)

Level 2
-custom ECU (Power Commander) and tune
-full exhaust (headers + slip on)
-conversion from antifreeze to non glycol based coolant
-steering damper
-race tires (but not slicks)
-warmers
-stands
-stainless brake lines
-racing brake pads (vesrah xx or equivalent)
-quick turn throttle
-rear sets
-race plastics
-open trailer

Level 3 / Racers
-full custom suspension
-chain / sprocket
-Slicks
-fuel
-safety wired bike
-tools and spares
-multiple sets of wheels
-slipper clutch
-case covers
-migration from open trailer to enclosed trailer

Track guys and racers... What else?
how much do you think it is going to cost me in each level, without the trailer and hitch stuff and i am not planning on racing or anything competitive. i just want to be a track day guy.
Old 07-01-2015, 03:50 PM   #39
Chris_5.0
HalfFast

Feedback Rating: (2)

Experience: 1-3 months

Bike(s):
1999 zx-9r
2005 gsxr 600
xr50r speed demond

Dont buy to make your bike slightly faster.
Old 07-01-2015, 04:17 PM   #40
batsper

Experience: 3 years
Trackdays: 9

Bike(s):
2013 GSXR 750
2009 DRZ400SM
2005 YZ250

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seawall View Post
how much do you think it is going to cost me in each level, without the trailer and hitch stuff and i am not planning on racing or anything competitive. i just want to be a track day guy.
You have a bike, just ride it. As you do more track days and pick up speed you'll start noticing a few things that could be improved upon. Suspension set up right and maybe a steering damper are good starting points. Enjoy it and don't over think it. See you out there!
batsper is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisement