MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 06-25-2007, 09:49 AM   #1
Drumboy

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
1993 BMW R100GSPD
02 CR250R

South/Central America Bike Trip Advice Wanted

Me and a couple friends are discussing taking a bike trip through part of South America and up through Central America & Mexico next year and I'm wondering if anyone has any advice.

Right now, we're looking at shipping the bikes to Ecuador and starting from there. We'd probably buy some dual purpose bikes for the trip cause I'm the only one with a bike now (Shadow) and one of the other guys will probably have a Harley then but we'll probably need something that's better on crappy roads.
Drumboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
quick pic from south america KrisNaarden Stunters Lounge 12 08-21-2009 05:52 PM
Going to South America for a show KrisNaarden Stunters Lounge 11 07-28-2009 07:15 AM
fishin trip advice? lbjasonc Off Topic 15 03-27-2008 03:04 PM
Spring Break 2007 - South Padre Bike Trip Jimmy Events, Meets and Rides 7 03-11-2007 05:45 PM
South Central Race Center changes SCRC John General Discussion (Moto Related) 6 10-18-2006 11:56 AM
Advertisement
Old 06-25-2007, 09:53 AM   #2
Buck Beasley
Older,Wiser,Faster

Feedback Rating: (2)

'05 Suzuki SV 650,

'04 Vespa 150

Member Garage

Send a message via Yahoo to Buck Beasley
You'll want a Honda XR 650 or something of the like. Just had a couple buddies make the TX-Cabo run, one ran a BMW dual sport, the other two did the XR's. Parts and service will be easier to get for the Honda's in that part of the world. Your Shadow and the Harley are definate no's..........
Buck Beasley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2007, 06:43 AM   #3
clint08911

Sounds like an awesome trip, from what I have seen in mexico, crappy roads and even worse drivers, becareful, let me know how it goes, as I would like to mimic that trip one day.

Clint
clint08911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2007, 07:22 AM   #4
RACER X
what R you lookin' at?

Feedback Rating: (26)

Trackdays: 8

Bike(s):
'14 Honda GROM! 181cc of fury!!
'10 Aprilia Tuono Factory-SOLD
'08 Busa - sold
A few more bought
A few more sold

there's a movie out there called "long way round" and now "long way down". both about motorcycle traveling.

round is around the world, and down is about africa.

"
A sort of The Motorcycle Diaries for the Hollywood set, this documentary miniseries chronicles the cross-continental adventures of actors Ewan McGregor and Charley Boorman as they set out on their BMW bikes to travel round the world. Embarking from London and arriving 115 exhausting days later in New York, the duo tackles 20,000 miles of tough terrain, explores offbeat destinations and takes in colorful local culture"

http://www.netflix.com/Movie/Long_Wa...1506630093_0_0

and yeah, your gonna need an serious enduro bike.
Trump/Zimmerman 2016
Make America Great Again!

Last edited by RACER X; 06-26-2007 at 07:27 AM.
RACER X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2007, 07:33 AM   #5
ScooterTrash
ConroePowderCoating.com

Feedback Rating: (3)

Bike(s):
lots of em

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drumboy
Me and a couple friends are discussing taking a bike trip through part of South America and up through Central America & Mexico next year and I'm wondering if anyone has any advice.

Right now, we're looking at shipping the bikes to Ecuador and starting from there. We'd probably buy some dual purpose bikes for the trip cause I'm the only one with a bike now (Shadow) and one of the other guys will probably have a Harley then but we'll probably need something that's better on crappy roads.
, I'm envious, I would love to get an old DR and make a run like that, would be awesome to take a few weeks. I just would be scared of the bandits etc.

[QUOTE=Mr.D;2764337]
I respect scootertrash because well... He's like the Jesus of building and fixing .
[/QUOTE]
ScooterTrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2007, 07:54 AM   #6
Patrick
Motorcycles Unlimited

Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
'14 Speed Triple R, '82 CB900F, '13 Streetglide

I did a trip down that way 8-9 years ago. I took a KLR650.

Bring lots of spares; plugs, air filter, tubes, tires. I also UPS'd several caches of spares / supplies out just before I left.

I've had survival training courtesy of the U.S. Army, but if you have no experience, I'd recommend at least picking up a basic survival manual.

On that note, bring some medical supplies; the basic stuff, and, if you can get a Dr. to write you a script; Vicodin or some type of pain killer, medicine for dysentery, malaria tablets, and a high powered antibiotic.

You may not use them, but I'd rather have them and not need them.

You'll need basic camping gear, but don't pack too heavy or you'll never make it.

As far as staying away from "hot spots", the State Department can help with advice. I'd also check with some of the more global dual sport forums for additional advice.

When I did my trip back in '98, there weren't really any internet forums to consult and the world was a little different politically. ( Although many of the same dangers existed then) I'd typically ask the locals where to stay away from and then use my best judgement.

Make sure you and your friends are compatible with each other.
Discuss among yourselves what might happen and what to do in a worst case scenario.
Having a back up plan already in place can make the difference between life and death.

I travelled solo aside from a couple of people I just met along the way.

Good luck on your trip, mine was an unforgettable experience!

NEED GEAR? We have a great selection in stock but if we need to order it we GUARANTEE FIT!
Where Houston riders go to have their bikes worked on, done right the first time!

muad

1964 FM 1960 West
Houston, TX 77090
Hours: Tues.-Fri. 9:30-6:00 Sat. 9-5:30
www.motorcycles-unlimited.com
http://www.facebook.com/motorcyclesunlimited
e-mail: patrick@motorcycles-unlimited.com
Patrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2007, 10:50 AM   #7
Gixxer Geezer
All day long I'm shufflin

Feedback Rating: (3)

Bike(s):
06 honda vtx 1300
06 Busa limited. sold
2 Gixxer 600. sold
85 Honda Hurricane. sold
56 Triumph, 64 BSA, Thunderbolt, 66 BSA Lightning Bolt, 64 Honda Scrambler. all sold

Patrick.. got any pics of your trip??

What part of "I Don't Care", Don't you Understand?
Gixxer Geezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2007, 01:07 PM   #8
Milez28
Blue Blur

Bike(s):

don't know if it's a good deal but..............

http://houston.craigslist.org/mcy/360689937.html
Milez28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2007, 01:48 PM   #9
MagnaMan
Peg Scraper

Bike(s):
99 Honda Magna

I know a guy that does a lot of road trips like this. Check out the web sites for adventure riders and the chain gang. You'll find people doing that quite a bit there.

He just did a run down into Mexico for about 3 weeks and interestingly enough he said I could have taken my Magna for their route... well most of it. I don't think they camped but stayed in hotels/motels because they were taking so much gear on their bikes.
Old 06-26-2007, 01:48 PM   #10
Badzx14r
Banned

Bike(s):
2many2list

User is banned

Badzx14r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2007, 02:01 PM   #11
Patrick
Motorcycles Unlimited

Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
'14 Speed Triple R, '82 CB900F, '13 Streetglide

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gixxer Geezer
Patrick.. got any pics of your trip??

Yep, no digital ones though.

NEED GEAR? We have a great selection in stock but if we need to order it we GUARANTEE FIT!
Where Houston riders go to have their bikes worked on, done right the first time!

muad

1964 FM 1960 West
Houston, TX 77090
Hours: Tues.-Fri. 9:30-6:00 Sat. 9-5:30
www.motorcycles-unlimited.com
http://www.facebook.com/motorcyclesunlimited
e-mail: patrick@motorcycles-unlimited.com
Patrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2007, 02:16 PM   #12
soap4life
Reverend

Bike(s):
z1000

Send a message via AIM to soap4life
http://youtube.com/watch?v=yjBrpN9nmZQ

r1 traveling the world
Old 06-29-2007, 03:23 PM   #13
Drumboy

Bike(s):
1993 BMW R100GSPD
02 CR250R

We're planning on either getting KLR's or XR's. I'd prefer XR's just because I had several XR's growing up and prefer honda dirtbikes, but we do want to get the same kind of bike so parts will be interchangeable. Of course we'd like 650's, but we read that 450 is the largest that they come in in Central America so it might be easier to get fixed if something goes wrong. I only weigh 165 so I'd be find but my buddy is more like 250 so he might look like a bear riding a tricycle in the circus on a 450.

Now we are planning on driving to Costa Rica and shipping our bikes back since we won't have much more than 2 weeks to spend there. There might be up to 4 people going and we've all been friends for 10-15 years so we get along pretty well. The other one that is for sure going went with me to Europe for 3 weeks last summer, so I think if we can stand each other for that long on cramped trains and in tiny hostel rooms that I can stand him on the road next to me on his own bike. One of the "maybes" is fluent in Spanish so that would help, especially if we need to take care of the policia....as is usually the case in Mexico.
Drumboy is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisement