Welcome back to us :/ Our hosts data center was down for the entire day.
MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > Technical > How To's and Q & A's
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 06-24-2015, 10:25 AM   #1
SideVinder650

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 7 years

Bike(s):
Suzuki SV650 2nd gen

2008 - SV650n - Whining from Electrical System/Fuel Pump?

Hi guys, I tried to post this over at SVrider.com forums but i didnt get much help there, and Im dealing with this strange whining sound coming from the bike.

When I first turn it on the bike whines like this at idle/ any amount of throttle, after it warms up the whine goes away at idle but is still persistent through any amount of throttle higher than idle (~1100-1400 rpm)

The bike just came out of "Winter" storage and the only thing i did different this year as opposed to years prior was i put a little bit of seafoam in the tank maybe 1/16-1/8 of a bottle, not very much, with a full tank of gas. The bike sat for 3-4 months and i have run a tank or two of gas through it since then but havent really ridden it too much. Maybe it will go away after being ridden more?

It seems like after starting up the first time after winter it did not make this noise, halfway into the first or second ride i had to re-fuel and after topping it off thats when this whine started occuring. It might be battery related and seems to oscillate pitches from high to slightly lower when i turn on the blinker.

I wish i had a spare battery to try and rule out whether its the battery or not.

ALthough, in the past, when I have had a low battery its never done this before, so i dont think its the battery. (if thats any way of properly ruling it out)

Any help is greatly appreciated,
Thanks for looking.

Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
In need of a fuel pump!! JustinLenard How To's and Q & A's 0 05-30-2014 10:21 AM
wifes transmission/electrical system acting up. plummer Off Topic 14 01-31-2012 07:21 PM
Top Fuel Dragster fuel pump RACER X Off Topic 31 01-25-2011 03:49 PM
My fuel connectors attached to the fuel pump mounting plate. Zapata How To's and Q & A's 9 11-20-2008 11:58 PM
Aux electrical system (PICS!) its done! Waerloga General Discussion (Moto Related) 2 09-29-2008 12:55 PM
Advertisement
Old 06-24-2015, 12:26 PM   #2
BYRDMAN
WX MAN

Feedback Rating: (8)

Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
2015 KTM Adventure 1190
2007 KTM 300 XC smoker
2007 KTM 300 XC smoker

Member Garage

Wow that is weird. U can try disconnecting the fuel pump while it running to see if stops. The bike should run on the residual fuel for a few seconds.but it should be enough time to see if that squeeking stops.

AMERICAN MADE WITH MEXICAN PARTS
BYRDMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2015, 05:02 PM   #3
SideVinder650

Bike(s):
Suzuki SV650 2nd gen

I suppose thats what i'll try next. If that does/doesnt work it seems like the bike is right around the 40,000 mile mark which is when most folks do a fuel pump cleaning anyways,so it couldnt hurt to take it out and remove the garbage out of it
Old 06-24-2015, 05:21 PM   #4
Sudo
Banned

User is banned

Sudo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2015, 05:24 PM   #5
Patrick
Motorcycles Unlimited

Feedback Rating: (2)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
'14 Speed Triple R, '82 CB900F, '13 Streetglide

Make sure your vent lines are clear to start.

NEED GEAR? We have a great selection in stock but if we need to order it we GUARANTEE FIT!
Where Houston riders go to have their bikes worked on, done right the first time!

muad

1964 FM 1960 West
Houston, TX 77090
Hours: Tues.-Fri. 9:30-6:00 Sat. 9-5:30
www.motorcycles-unlimited.com
http://www.facebook.com/motorcyclesunlimited
e-mail: patrick@motorcycles-unlimited.com
Patrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2015, 09:47 AM   #6
SideVinder650

Bike(s):
Suzuki SV650 2nd gen

Thanks Patrick, I'll be sure to check those as well, first
Old 07-09-2015, 09:56 AM   #7
SideVinder650

Bike(s):
Suzuki SV650 2nd gen

Thanks for the help guys, turns out it was NOT The seafoam that caused this, the more likely culprit is the large amounts of rain/water that have splashed on my bike. compounded by the fact that i've had to store it outside, and it was uncovered.

So, 3 months ago, I cleaned the out of the bottom part of the gas cap, since it is a lock actuated cap the bottom portion had calcium build up on the lock and would make the lock very sticky almost twisting and breaking your key off in the sumbitch.

After thoroughly cleaning it with emery cloth and i think even a mild steel brush it worked excellent, however, after leaving it out in the rain, the calcium came back with a vengenace, in the 3 months that it was raining it had build up more calcium than it had in the 5 or 6 years that i've owned the bike.

So much so that the gas cap wouldnt even come off, when i pryed it open it was almost "hairy" with this white chalky calcium build up.

I think this buildup is what was causing the pump to whine, after i cleaned that sh*t off and filled up the tank with good gas and shook the heck out of it, the whine went away immediatley.

Advertisement