MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > Off Topic (everything else) > Off Topic
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 06-24-2007, 08:59 PM   #1
josh302

Feedback Rating: (4)

Bike(s):
shotgun
rifle
4wd

question for the Leo's

Nothing has hapend to me, I just watch cops and was wondering:

When a driver recieves a ticket, they are required to sign the ticket? As a promise to appear in court on set date?

If the driver refuses to sign the ticket, is this punishable by jail, if so, what are the technical reasons behind this?
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Question for Leo's about "street racing" Mark06gsxr Off Topic 31 04-12-2013 03:12 PM
question for a leo pester Off Topic 2 10-26-2009 03:33 PM
LEO's, ? RACER X Off Topic 14 06-22-2009 03:12 PM
Question for LEO's/Lawyers LunchBox Off Topic 4 05-27-2009 10:59 AM
I have a question for the LEO's of mh Trung Off Topic 22 02-18-2009 03:15 PM
Advertisement
Old 06-24-2007, 09:00 PM   #2
infidel
drpickles

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

i think they arrest you to insure your going to attend since u won't sign.
Chlamydia. I think I might name my daughter Chlamydia.
infidel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2007, 09:08 PM   #3
BrutusTx

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr pickles
i think they arrest you to insure your going to attend since u won't sign.
In most states that is true.
Old 06-24-2007, 09:49 PM   #4
ormand
Deelish!

Feedback Rating: (5)

Experience: 3 years
Trackdays: 9

Bike(s):
2009 Ninja 650r
Total Mileage: 42,000

The traffic ticket contains an actual notice to you of a pending court date at which you must appear. By signing the ticket, you are providing an acknowledgment of receipt of the "notice to appear." Since the officer is charging you with a violation of law, he could take you into custody. By signing the traffic ticket, you avoid being taken into custody at that time, and are "released on your own recognizance" pending the court date. It is better to sign the traffic ticket and go about your business pending the court date. By signing the traffic ticket, you remain free and retain the right to show up at the hearing to contest the issuance of the citation or summons.

A person is free to refuse to sign the traffic ticket; however, the police officer is free to place him/her under arrest and take him/her into custody.
Old 06-25-2007, 01:23 AM   #5
josh302

Bike(s):
shotgun
rifle
4wd

Quote:
Originally Posted by trdvet
Lemme break it down. Signing the ticket is not an admission of guilt and necessary for the officer to "field" release you, not signing the ticket means that you would be arrested for the infraction and taken to see a Judge right there. Also your car would be towed.
Yeah thatís what I figured.
Ok, forget all the brainwashing, and things you are used to, and "thatís the way it is attitude"

So, does it seem reasonable for an officer to take someone to jail for a minor traffic violation?
Take the said person to "court" so the judge can pass "judgment"?

Justice?
or
Profit?

Court of profit IMO

Can we as the public view a P&L statement from the municipal court of Houston?

I'm not going any further than to say, IMO, this is a way to strong arm honest hardworking people into paying, by threatening loss of freedom, loss of automobile, and possible physical abuse.

These statements are in no way bashing police officers, they are hard working people doing what they are instructed to do.
Old 06-25-2007, 03:07 AM   #6
andre3k
I see dead people...

Feedback Rating: (1)

Its 3:00 am and I just came in from work. I saw 3 dead adults because someone wanted to drive drunk and make a u-turn on the eastex freeway. Two babies were in the car and look to have the same ending as the other three.

http://abclocal.go.com/ktrk/story?se...cal&id=5418010

Afterwards I saw three more children ejected out of the side windows of a Lincoln Navigator because they were not seat belted in and momma didn't even properly secure the car seat, so the baby got thrown out too.

Its late, I'm tired and I've seen enough mangled up children for one day.

Sorry if I waste my time chasing DWI's or writing seatbelt tickets to soccer moms. Most fail to realize that traffic enforcement serves a purpose and isn't the strong arm of the law as most would like to believe.

Last edited by andre3k; 06-25-2007 at 03:19 AM.
andre3k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2007, 09:37 AM   #7
Cherub
FTP

Bike(s):
06 Raven R6

Member Garage

Send a message via MSN to Cherub Send a message via Yahoo to Cherub
^ im guessing thats a yes

~Dream as if you live forever. Live as if you die today~ James Dean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sifu-TZ View Post
It makes me cry, but real tears not the ones out of my like usual.
Cherub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2007, 12:21 PM   #8
soap4life
Reverend

Bike(s):
z1000

Send a message via AIM to soap4life
Quote:
Originally Posted by josh302
Yeah thatís what I figured.
Ok, forget all the brainwashing, and things you are used to, and "thatís the way it is attitude"

So, does it seem reasonable for an officer to take someone to jail for a minor traffic violation?
Take the said person to "court" so the judge can pass "judgment"?

Justice?
or
Profit?

Court of profit IMO

Can we as the public view a P&L statement from the municipal court of Houston?

I'm not going any further than to say, IMO, this is a way to strong arm honest hardworking people into paying, by threatening loss of freedom, loss of automobile, and possible physical abuse.

These statements are in no way bashing police officers, they are hard working people doing what they are instructed to do.
little bit of both.
Old 06-25-2007, 01:20 PM   #9
josh302

Bike(s):
shotgun
rifle
4wd

Quote:
Originally Posted by andre3k
Its 3:00 am and I just came in from work. I saw 3 dead adults because someone wanted to drive drunk and make a u-turn on the eastex freeway. Two babies were in the car and look to have the same ending as the other three.

http://abclocal.go.com/ktrk/story?se...cal&id=5418010

Afterwards I saw three more children ejected out of the side windows of a Lincoln Navigator because they were not seat belted in and momma didn't even properly secure the car seat, so the baby got thrown out too.

Its late, I'm tired and I've seen enough mangled up children for one day.

Sorry if I waste my time chasing DWI's or writing seatbelt tickets to soccer moms. Most fail to realize that traffic enforcement serves a purpose and isn't the strong arm of the law as most would like to believe.
soooo, how his penalizing my pocket book teaching me anything? I pay a fat tax every year, house tax, school tax, sales tax, auto tax, on and on; is that suposed to teach me somthing, diference is, I know where those tax dollars go. Where do the municipal "tax" dollars go?(taxation without representaion)
Old 06-25-2007, 01:27 PM   #10
josh302

Bike(s):
shotgun
rifle
4wd

if you read my first post it states "minor traffic violation". I agree totally with dwi enforcment and speeding in excess, I am speaking of minor violations=jail time? Andre put yourself on the other side:

You roll thru my hood and violate a rule I made, I take you at gun point, ruff you up a little(to show Im in charge) lock you in my garage until I feel its time to let you out, or you pay my fine. resonable?
Old 06-25-2007, 02:17 PM   #11
Cherub
FTP

Bike(s):
06 Raven R6

Member Garage

Quote:
if you read my first post it states "minor traffic violation". I agree totally with dwi enforcment and speeding in excess, I am speaking of minor violations=jail time? Andre put yourself on the other side:

You roll thru my hood and violate a rule I made, I take you at gun point, ruff you up a little(to show Im in charge) lock you in my garage until I feel its time to let you out, or you pay my fine. resonable?
:laughing6

Quote:
Old 06-25-2007, 02:34 PM   #12
andre3k
I see dead people...

Quote:
soooo, how his penalizing my pocket book teaching me anything? I pay a fat tax every year, house tax, school tax, sales tax, auto tax, on and on; is that suposed to teach me somthing, diference is, I know where those tax dollars go. Where do the municipal "tax" dollars go?(taxation without representaion)
Just like anything else, people tend to do less dumb if they know they face jail time or will have to pay a fine. Just imagine a world with no type of order what so ever.

As for the a federal taxes that we pay, almost 100% goes towards the national debt, not for services. Ticket revenue with the city goes into the general fund. Which can be anything from buying lightbulbs to paying workers to cut the grass in the parks.

I paid 13k in federal income tax last year. So if anyone has the right to be off its me. But then again I didn't worry about the government being overthrown, suicide bombers, I have a nice safe full of guns that I can own, and a nice home. Most of the world doesn't have those luxuries.

Bottom line is traffic enforcement is a double edged sword. Yes, it generates revenue for the city but is also reduces traffic accidents and deaths, because it serves as a deterrent for committing the offense in the first place.

Like most of my third world brethren I would love to steal, be corrupt, and take bribes from innocent poor people. On the flip side, spending the rest of my life in jail for doing those acts doesn't really appeal to me either. Hence, I follow the straight and narrow, do my job, then take my home.

Bottom line is that the system exists. No one is forcing you to pay tickets, you can always sit it out in jail and play dominoes all day. We all have to abide by it. If it bothers you that much, write some letters, make a sign and picket on the front steps of city hall, but it's not going to change anything.

Orrrrrr you can always move to Canada.
Old 06-25-2007, 02:43 PM   #13
andre3k
I see dead people...

Quote:

I totally understand what you're saying. But heres what I'm saying.

I paid the IRS 13k last year. What if you came into my hood, and I told you that you owe me $13,000 because you finished school, graduated college, got a decent job and chose to not have children, oh and by the way you have the honor of paying me simply because you live in my hood and its the best hood in the world.

Now if you don't pay, I'll take your house, seize everything that you own that can be sold at auction, garnish your whole paycheck, and if you don't do that you can also go to jail.

This is in summary, how the Internal Revenue Service works.

So who am I worried more about? A cop that can write me a $200.00 ticket, or spend a day in jail. Or government agency that penalizes you for success, can destroy your whole life, then throw you in jail for failing to render unto Caesar.
Old 06-25-2007, 03:12 PM   #14
Cherub
FTP

Bike(s):
06 Raven R6

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by andre3k
Just like anything else, people tend to do less dumb if they know they face jail time or will have to pay a fine. Just imagine a world with no type of order what so ever.

As for the a federal taxes that we pay, almost 100% goes towards the national debt, not for services. Ticket revenue with the city goes into the general fund. Which can be anything from buying lightbulbs to paying workers to cut the grass in the parks.

I paid 13k in federal income tax last year. So if anyone has the right to be off its me. But then again I didn't worry about the government being overthrown, suicide bombers, I have a nice safe full of guns that I can own, and a nice home. Most of the world doesn't have those luxuries.

Bottom line is traffic enforcement is a double edged sword. Yes, it generates revenue for the city but is also reduces traffic accidents and deaths, because it serves as a deterrent for committing the offense in the first place.

Like most of my third world brethren I would love to steal, be corrupt, and take bribes from innocent poor people. On the flip side, spending the rest of my life in jail for doing those acts doesn't really appeal to me either. Hence, I follow the straight and narrow, do my job, then take my home.

Bottom line is that the system exists. No one is forcing you to pay tickets, you can always sit it out in jail and play dominoes all day. We all have to abide by it. If it bothers you that much, write some letters, make a sign and picket on the front steps of city hall, but it's not going to change anything.

Orrrrrr you can always move to Canada.

how do i get some of those 1k dollar light bulbs? lol

Quote:
Old 06-25-2007, 04:00 PM   #15
josh302

Bike(s):
shotgun
rifle
4wd

I agree totally with what you have said. The problem I have is I think there is quite a bit of revenue being passed thru the municipal court system(by force and threat of violence) that we public cant see. Run the profit margin through your head real quick, agencies and court funded by state and local taxes; over 100 people a day pay a minimum of $100 per day(tickets), lets say 4 days a week. $160,000 per month? almost two million a year? How much money do leo's make? Where is the money going? somone is getting fat off the hard work the leos are doing. If everyone stoped breaking laws would the city go broke? So speeders and law breakers are actually valuable customers.
Old 06-25-2007, 04:55 PM   #16
Cherub
FTP

Bike(s):
06 Raven R6

Member Garage

Quote:
I agree totally with what you have said. The problem I have is I think there is quite a bit of revenue being passed thru the municipal court system(by force and threat of violence) that we public cant see. Run the profit margin through your head real quick, agencies and court funded by state and local taxes; over 100 people a day pay a minimum of $100 per day(tickets), lets say 4 days a week. $160,000 per month? almost two million a year? How much money do leo's make? Where is the money going? somone is getting fat off the hard work the leos are doing. If everyone stoped breaking laws would the city go broke? So speeders and law breakers are actually valuable customers

So cops should be thanking me when i speed LOL:laughing6

Quote:
Old 06-25-2007, 05:23 PM   #17
Mr. Unassailable
1-20-2013-Change we need

Feedback Rating: (6)

Experience: 10+ years

Member Garage

Quote:
I agree totally with what you have said. The problem I have is I think there is quite a bit of revenue being passed thru the municipal court system(by force and threat of violence) that we public cant see. Run the profit margin through your head real quick, agencies and court funded by state and local taxes; over 100 people a day pay a minimum of $100 per day(tickets), lets say 4 days a week. $160,000 per month? almost two million a year? How much money do leo's make? Where is the money going? somone is getting fat off the hard work the leos are doing. If everyone stoped breaking laws would the city go broke? So speeders and law breakers are actually valuable customers.
or if everyone got smart and paid lawyers instead of the city.

I will pay my lawyer $200 to fight a $100 ticket just so the city doesnt get my money

reason and explanation.

first the rules...
1. if its excessive speeding or running a red light or something like that, I'll let the court have the money. that is understandable.
2. if my inspection, reg, ect. is out for a month or more.. i'll pay it. understandable

aside from that. I would rather die in a car wreck then wear my seatbelt. cops and EMS guys get paid to scrape me off the pavement. they shouldnt gripe.

before this goes to deep.. i'll just say i think the laws should be re-written. 90% of them are good.. but a few can use revision.

but ya... i wonder what would happen if everyone drove perfect.. then you would get pulled over for not having both hands on the wheel, or not having your hands at 10 and 2, or for some like that, and you'll start getting tickets for driving in flip flops and wearing sunglasses that are tinted to dark:laughing6

just like josh said, "i'm not cop bashing".. i'm system bashing :icon_bigg
Old 06-25-2007, 06:41 PM   #18
soap4life
Reverend

Bike(s):
z1000

Send a message via AIM to soap4life
i want to be the person who is making money off of everyone. i'd rather be on top seeing the sunlight then at the bottom wondering when its going to stop raining.
Old 06-26-2007, 02:35 AM   #19
josh302

Bike(s):
shotgun
rifle
4wd

Quote:
Originally Posted by soap4life
i want to be the person who is making money off of everyone. i'd rather be on top seeing the sunlight then at the bottom wondering when its going to stop raining.
thats not rain
Old 06-26-2007, 03:11 PM   #20
Pre-K

Feedback Rating: (11)

Experience: 1-3 months

Bike(s):
2012 CBR1000RR
2014 Specialized

Tickets do generate revenue... but most of it doesn't go to leo's for salary, or even their department for equipment. Most PD's have sub-standard equipment because the city would prefer to spend the money on "beautification of the city" or some other bs...

When you say someone is getting rich off the revenue, I'd say you're right! But it sure isn't the cops...
Pre-K is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisement