Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back > News & Media > Houston - Local News > Sports
Forgot info?

Welcome to! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 06-21-2015, 03:40 PM   #1
Feedback Rating: (0)

Keuchel gives up 3 HRs as Astros fall 6-3 to Mariners

Almost everything has gone right for Dallas Keuchel this season. On Saturday night, it all went wrong.

The Houston Astros starter walked in two runs in the second inning and later allowed three home runs in a 6-3 loss to the Seattle Mariners.

Keuchel (8-3) extended his streak of pitching at least six innings to 26 straight starts -- the longest active run in the majors -- but had his worst performance of the year. Keuchel's four walks, five earned runs, and three home runs allowed were all season highs.

After Evan Gattis and Luis Valbuena hit solo homers in the top of the second to put the Astros ahead 2-0, Keuchel lost his control and the lead. All four of his walks came in the second inning, as he struggled to find his grip on the ball.

"I know he didn't feel the ball out of his hand," Houston manager A.J. Hinch said. "You just don't see him walk those guys very often."

Keuchel hadn't given up more than three walks in any of his previous 14 starts this season.

"I just kind of lost it there in the second," Keuchel said. "I've got to figure something out, even if I can't get a grip on the ball. That's a very frustrating thing."

Seattle starter Taijuan Walker (5-3) struck out a career-high 11, allowed three runs and five hits, and walked none in 6 1/3 innings. The 22-year-old right-hander is 4-1 with a 2.04 ERA in his last five starts, and has gone at least six innings in all of them.

Nelson Cruz, Seth Smith and Mark Trumbo homered for the Mariners, who have won two in a row and scored at least five runs in back-to-back games for the first time since April 19-20.

Hinch was ejected in the sixth inning after arguing a fan interference call. Gattis was called out to end the inning when Seattle shortstop Brad Miller attempted to catch his foul pop-up near the seats down the left-field line. Hinch argued after the call was held up on replay review, leading to the ejection.

"They got rewarded an out because their fan got in the way with their player and got us out of an inning. That make no sense to me," Hinch said. "I don't understand how you can assume a catch when a guy is running full speed from shortstop crashing into a wall."

Hinch doesn't feel the call sets a good precedent for fans.

"To make that a guaranteed catch, I'm not sure why we wouldn't instruct all our home fans to get in the way," Hinch said.

The Astros have hit at least two home runs in seven straight games, a franchise record. Houston has hit 25 homers in 12 games against the Mariners this season.

OF George Springer singled in the third inning to extend his hitting streak to a career-long 13 games. He's hitting .444 with three home runs and six RBIs during the streak.

Houston: 2B Jose Altuve (sore right hamstring) was out of the lineup for the third straight game.

Seattle: RHP Hisashi Iwakuma (right lat strain) made a rehab start for Class A Everett, allowing three hits and one run in 3 2/3 innings.

Astros: Rookie right-hander Vince Velasquez (0-0, 4.66 ERA) will make his third career start in the final game of the three-game series with Seattle on Sunday.

Mariners: Lefty J.A. Happ (3-3, 3.79) has never lost to the Astros, as he's 3-0 in five career starts against Houston.

marinershou jpg

NewsBot is offline   Reply With Quote