MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > Taking it to the Track
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 06-25-2007, 10:33 AM   #21
dhdrider

Feedback Rating: (0)

Bike(s):
08 KTM 300 XC-W

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buck Beasley
Are you refering to his performance on the ground after his crash to bring out the red flag? THAT was Oscar worthy. Funny how after the comercial break we see him running back to the pits for the restart. Was impressive to start at the back of the pack and get all the way back up with the leaders.
That was unbelievable.

What's even more unbelievable is how far the AMA is up Yosh Suzuki's . :BangHead:

I'm sure they would have allowed some privateer 40 minutes to get their bike running. :eh:

Check the track for debris, grid everyone up and restart. What the were they waiting on? Oh wait, they had to wait for "the king"...

2008 KTM 200 XC

Klim Technical Riding Gear
Maine Root Handcrafted Beverages
Retail Resource Group
Primus Real Estate Services
TORCS #301
TSCEC #1114

Last edited by dhdrider; 06-25-2007 at 10:35 AM.
dhdrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
moto gp.. jhonathan General Discussion (Moto Related) 11 07-09-2009 09:52 PM
Moto GP RojerLockless Taking it to the Track 14 06-15-2009 06:32 AM
Moto GP FLYIN'DUC General Discussion (Moto Related) 8 04-04-2009 10:23 PM
Moto GP Patrick Taking it to the Track 15 11-20-2007 01:34 AM
moto gp BKLYNBULLET General Discussion (Moto Related) 15 07-20-2007 06:08 PM
Advertisement
Old 06-25-2007, 10:37 AM   #22
dhdrider

Bike(s):
08 KTM 300 XC-W

For further proof on his act, here's a quote from him post-race:

"Nothing to it, I just highsided in Turn two, bumped my head a bit and scraped up my knee - nothing serious. I can't say enough about my guys for putting the Yoshimura Suzuki GSX-R1000 back together so fast so I could go back out there. Starting from the back like that, I just tried to work my way up and pick up as many positions as possible. I'm a little banged up but I'm flying home tonight and I'll see my personal doctor tomorrow. I reckon I'll be going for a run by Tuesday."

2008 KTM 200 XC

Retail Resource Group
TORCS #301
TSCEC #1114
Old 06-25-2007, 12:19 PM   #23
ArturoC
51% Geek, 49% SuperHero

Bike(s):
'99 GSXR600
'04 NSR 50
'09 Yamaha WR250X
'07 Triumph 675

Member Garage

Send a message via ICQ to ArturoC Send a message via AIM to ArturoC Send a message via Yahoo to ArturoC Send a message via Skype™ to ArturoC
Mladin is a great rider. Unfortunately, he is also one of the biggest, whining, cry baby, a-holes as well. If he isn't winning, everybody around him suffers. Although he does seem to have calmed down a bit in the last couple of years.

Being a Top 3 AMA rider = multi-million dollar contract making more than half (or more) of the MotoGP grid, and more than probably 95% of the wsbk grid.

Not a bad gig if you can get it.

Long live the Cagiva 500cc bike!!
CMRA [Prov Nov]ice #404
Sponsors: D&D - GoPro - Amsoil
ArturoC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2007, 01:06 PM   #24
Patrick
Motorcycles Unlimited

Feedback Rating: (2)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
'14 Speed Triple R, '82 CB900F, '13 Streetglide

The AMA is full of stories like that; DuHamel kicking gravel onto the race track after he went down one race, Yates laying out in the track to get it red flagged and many more. It's all part of the game.

NEED GEAR? We have a great selection in stock but if we need to order it we GUARANTEE FIT!
Where Houston riders go to have their bikes worked on, done right the first time!

muad

1964 FM 1960 West
Houston, TX 77090
Hours: Tues.-Fri. 9:30-6:00 Sat. 9-5:30
www.motorcycles-unlimited.com
http://www.facebook.com/motorcyclesunlimited
e-mail: patrick@motorcycles-unlimited.com
Patrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2007, 01:40 PM   #25
dhdrider

Bike(s):
08 KTM 300 XC-W

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick
The AMA is full of stories like that; DuHamel kicking gravel onto the race track after he went down one race, Yates laying out in the track to get it red flagged and many more. It's all part of the game.
That was the topper. If I hadn't seen that I wouldn't have belived that one...

That was awesome...:laughing6

2008 KTM 200 XC

Retail Resource Group
TORCS #301
TSCEC #1114
Old 06-25-2007, 01:54 PM   #26
logan5

Feedback Rating: (5)

Bike(s):
2001 SV 650 (my track ), 2005 SV 650s

Mladin's performance was like faking an injury to get that free commercial timeout ... but hey, it worked. Still, restarting from the back and coming in fourth? That's a great ride.
logan5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2007, 02:52 PM   #27
Jaygermeister
Get out of my way Jimmy

Bike(s):
2008 GSX-R 1340 Hayabusa CBR1100XX Superblackbird & CBR600F4 track bike

Fake or not it looked like it hurt like to me.

I hate rules
Why isnt Mladin in Moto GP?
Track days are like going to Las Vegas If you canít afford to lose it donít go!!!!!
Jaygermeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2007, 03:05 PM   #28
slowposer
pose slower

Bike(s):
bikeless :(

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buck Beasley
Are you refering to his performance on the ground after his crash to bring out the red flag? THAT was Oscar worthy. Funny how after the comercial break we see him running back to the pits for the restart. Was impressive to start at the back of the pack and get all the way back up with the leaders.
yup...he shoulda been out...amblance ride/ bike didnt go back to the pits on its own...blatant cheating with the red flag act.

politics ruin good racing but with all that said...he highsides real nasty and still ends up 4th...

i did enjoy duhamel getting him off the box though.
slowposer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2007, 08:46 PM   #29
Steve O Chap
Big Hero

Bike(s):
1995 Suzuki RF600 - Sold
1993 Honda Shadow - Sold
2001 CBR F4i - Sold

Quote:
Originally Posted by ysr612
Both Mladin Chandler did far better then that bike deserved. I think Nicky and Edwards are both gp quality I think Edwards is about the 4 or 5th best rider out there and Nicky just a little behind him. I think that the only reason Spies is likely to go is that he is still small child enough to think he has something to prove. If you ever watched him race against Hopkins you know what I mean. Hopkins is no where near the rider Ben is. All of this is from someone who can't ride for beans
I've seen alot of footage of both riders (never in person though) and I have to say I completely disagree! I'm not sure I could differentiate skills between the two of them. Though I might have to give the 'drive and motivation' award to Spies.

They are both on completely different bikes against completely different competition. Look at the riders Spies faces every weekend, there are maybe 5 who can win a race on equal machinery. Look at the MotoGP grid, there are 10-15 who can win any given race. Hopper is consistently in the top 5... granted he hasn't won yet, but his results are great!
Old 06-25-2007, 09:06 PM   #30
ysr612

Bike(s):
Transalp, DRZ, Hurricane

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve O Chap
I've seen alot of footage of both riders (never in person though) and I have to say I completely disagree! I'm not sure I could differentiate skills between the two of them. Though I might have to give the 'drive and motivation' award to Spies.

They are both on completely different bikes against completely different competition. Look at the riders Spies faces every weekend, there are maybe 5 who can win a race on equal machinery. Look at the MotoGP grid, there are 10-15 who can win any given race. Hopper is consistently in the top 5... granted he hasn't won yet, but his results are great!
Ok I was judging when I saw them riding the same bike that Hopkins had been riding all year and Spies had done for his second race. Ben only won by about 15 sec. You had spent a lot of time watching when they were on the same team Ben was still better.

edit that is just my take on it as I stated before I am not that good at picking good riders. I was standing my J Ulrich and Himmelsbach and they were talking about how some people were riding and I didn't see it at all. So I am not a great judge. Often a poor rider that is willing to throw it away will finish in front of a good rider and they were talk about that sort of thing.

Last edited by ysr612; 06-25-2007 at 09:13 PM.
ysr612 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2007, 08:48 AM   #31
ysr612

Bike(s):
Transalp, DRZ, Hurricane

Quote:
Originally Posted by vfracer-r

JU got lucky on some key selections (like Schwantz), but Hopper has not turned out to be the "next best" like it seems they thought he would be. No doubt that JU has done some really, really good things for racing and the comunity- Lord knows I love his mag, but he can't keep riding the coat tails of the Schwantz pick to make me believe he "knows" how to judge rider talent. There are plenty of riders out there who crash that can be taught how to ride with their aggressive style, and NOT crash. My impression is that JU doesn't think that's possible.
JU got Schwantz his test with Yosh but I don't remember Schwantz ever actually riding for JU. JU told us he got Kevin the test because Schwantz beat his boys while riding lurch. JU did lend one of the Hammer bikes for Schwantz to test on.

JU signed on Ben and Hopkins for his team at the same time. Hopkins was old enough to race ama Ben was not.

As to throwing the bike away I was standing behind my son when he was talking to Edwards and I really liked what Edwards said to him. "You may be fast but you don't win if you are not on 2 wheels" That was after Jim lost the front at Hallet.

edit PS typing this I feel like an old man as many here don't remember when it was Bens job to do bike sorting for Emgo Suzuki. Some here have also never heard of the great Lurnch.

Last edited by ysr612; 06-26-2007 at 08:54 AM.
Old 06-26-2007, 11:20 AM   #32
hypertrophyy

Bike(s):
07 600rr track

Quote:
Originally Posted by vfracer-r

By the way, how old is Stoner? 6? I did love watching him run the 250 KTM. That kid can ride! Not to mention his ability to control the massive power of the Duc!

Alright besides all this who knows more history mumbo-jumbo. I am very impressed with Duc/Stoner's program this year! Major prospect..... but Pat might not think he is GP caliber material jk

Mark my words.... he will set the new par for the future....saying he's not a fluke.

Last edited by hypertrophyy; 06-26-2007 at 01:19 PM.
hypertrophyy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2007, 02:00 PM   #33
ScottyD

Quote:
Originally Posted by ysr612
Some here have also never heard of the great Lurch.
Not only do I remember Lurch, I had some incredible races against that monstrosity! Mike Whiteley was the owner/rider at the time, but Jesus did we have some knock-down, drag-out battles. My favorite mental snapshot: I'm on my XR600, battling Rob Tuluie on some bizzaro vintage Matchless, all the while hearing Lurch rumbling along behind us. Oak Hill, white flag, I just sneak past Tuluie heading into turn one and think I'm home free. Uh, wrong... Whiteley wheelies past me heading up the hill into turn two, and motors away like I'm tied to a tree. I spent the lap frantically trying to get past him, and finally pulled it off with a Hail Mary heading into the school house. I'm not really known for "win-or-crash" antics, but I was NOT going to get beat by a Virago for Chirst's sake!

Memories...

-sd
ScottyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2007, 02:22 PM   #34
ysr612

Bike(s):
Transalp, DRZ, Hurricane

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottyD
Not only do I remember Lurch, I had some incredible races against that monstrosity! Mike Whiteley was the owner/rider at the time, but Jesus did we have some knock-down, drag-out battles. My favorite mental snapshot: I'm on my XR600, battling Rob Tuluie on some bizzaro vintage Matchless, all the while hearing Lurch rumbling along behind us. Oak Hill, white flag, I just sneak past Tuluie heading into turn one and think I'm home free. Uh, wrong... Whiteley wheelies past me heading up the hill into turn two, and motors away like I'm tied to a tree. I spent the lap frantically trying to get past him, and finally pulled it off with a Hail Mary heading into the school house. I'm not really known for "win-or-crash" antics, but I was NOT going to get beat by a Virago for Chirst's sake!

Memories...

-sd
thanks for that one young man. I also love JU description of the Lurchs' handling " It was going every way but the way Kevin was trying to point it, and he still won."

Advertisement