MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > Taking it to the Track
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 06-28-2005, 10:09 PM   #21
blueboy07734

Feedback Rating: (0)

Re: corner

thank guy i just wanted 2 know what most people do.....i do it just to correct my line right:
blueboy07734 is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Spring is around the corner almost KEITH HUBBARD Cruisers Lounge 17 02-21-2011 03:12 PM
corner apex SBK Pilot General Discussion (Moto Related) 25 10-08-2008 02:48 PM
This corner might be a little bumpy... dhdrider General Discussion (Moto Related) 16 01-10-2007 01:51 PM
The oversteer corner... Mr. Unassailable Off Topic 2 01-08-2007 05:44 PM
Advertisement
Old 06-28-2005, 10:19 PM   #22
blueboy07734

thank guy i just wanted 2 know what most people do.......front brake, back, or none, i do it just to correct my line........ right:
Old 06-28-2005, 11:17 PM   #23
speedismo
OCD for speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutlawDCustoMs

ummmm, ever heard the term "slowest in, fastest out" those are the guys who win races, by the way, the only time you use your rear brake is if you want to back it in, and that's for the extremely advanced riders, and most of the time to do it right you need a slipper clutch.... trail braking is done with your front brakes
can u come out at 100mph if u went in at 10mph?no."slowest in, fastest out" just means that at any given point, the guy with the lowest speed will be able to put in most acceleration. the guys who win races are those who can keep the best line while keeping max speeds.
"be the fastest in straights, be the last to slow down,while being able to take the right apex, finish braking exactly when u r touching apex, and start accelerating exactly when u r getting out of apex and then be the fastest in straights again!"TOP OF PODIUM.

about "trail braking"..umm..u might be right. i was just givin my opinion on blueboy's "how to correct line" thingi.
i said "for what u guyz call trail braking" as i thought u guyz were referring to the same thing.my bad if it aint so!

Travelomy:Simplify your travel.
speedismo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2005, 12:02 AM   #24
OutlawDCustoMs
Mr Professional

Experience: 3 years
Trackdays: 10+

02' Yamaha YZF-R6 (sold)
04' Yamaha YZF-R6 (sold)
05' Yamaha YZF-R6 (sold)
05' CMRA #328 (sold)

Send a message via AIM to OutlawDCustoMs

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedismo
Quote:

ummmm, ever heard the term "slowest in, fastest out" those are the guys who win races, by the way, the only time you use your rear brake is if you want to back it in, and that's for the extremely advanced riders, and most of the time to do it right you need a slipper clutch.... trail braking is done with your front brakes
can u come out at 100mph if u went in at 10mph?no."slowest in, fastest out" just means that at any given point, the guy with the lowest speed will be able to put in most acceleration. the guys who win races are those who can keep the best line while keeping max speeds.
"be the fastest in straights, be the last to slow down,while being able to take the right apex, finish braking exactly when u r touching apex, and start accelerating exactly when u r getting out of apex and then be the fastest in straights again!"TOP OF PODIUM.

about "trail braking"..umm..u might be right. i was just givin my opinion on blueboy's "how to correct line" thingi.
i said "for what u guyz call trail braking" as i thought u guyz were referring to the same thing.my bad if it aint so!
nice try, but if you want to go ahead and ask mike sanchez or ty howard... "slowest in, fastest out" wins the race

btw, it's not a literal term being slowest going 10mph, it's relative to the race pace, and if you're on your brakes all the way to your apex, romping on the throttle after the apex will upset the balance of the bike and welcome to highside city, it's all about how smooth you can be... getting to the turn fast and late braking and trail braking through the first part of the turn and being smooth on the transition to throttle is going to make you the fastest out there
Old 06-29-2005, 12:31 AM   #25
blueboy07734

i agree with u the more speed u carry into the turn the faster u exit, but that take considerable skill, like throttle and brake control, slower in maybe much safer but slower exit speed

Old 06-29-2005, 12:45 AM   #26
OutlawDCustoMs
Mr Professional

02' Yamaha YZF-R6 (sold)
04' Yamaha YZF-R6 (sold)
05' Yamaha YZF-R6 (sold)
05' CMRA #328 (sold)

wait, have you raced? nope didn't think so

if you go in incredibly hot, and you get on your brakes, you don't carry as much momentum as if you were smooth through the turn, for instance if you're coming off the front straight of TWS (Texas World Speedway) and you late brake all the way to the apex of turn 1/2, you're going to eat because you got to shut it down so much harder than someone already on the throttle at the apex of the turn, because you grabbed a handful of brake you lost most of your momentum, there for you'll be the slowest out
Old 06-29-2005, 01:24 AM   #27
speedismo
OCD for speed

we are talkin the same thing more or less now. "grabbed a handful of brake " is the stupidiest thing one can do. i never said brake hard, did i. check out the "but it has to be gradual" part of my first post. smoothness(or wat i referred to as 'gradual') is the key.
only point we dont agree is if braking right till apex is right. u say from experience, that it kills the balance, it is tough. i say, very.
but its tough doesnt mean i wont try to go for it. cos its THE perfect solution, howsoever tough to achieve.

abt TWS (Texas World Speedway), i hv no clue, never been there. if everything goes right, u should see me there in 2-3 months. i wld look forward to learning a thing or two from u guyz then! right:

Old 06-29-2005, 09:17 AM   #28
OutlawDCustoMs
Mr Professional

02' Yamaha YZF-R6 (sold)
04' Yamaha YZF-R6 (sold)
05' Yamaha YZF-R6 (sold)
05' CMRA #328 (sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedismo
we are talkin the same thing* more or less now. "grabbed a handful of brake " is the stupidiest thing one can do. i never said brake hard, did i.* check out the "but it has to be gradual" part of my first post.* smoothness(or wat i referred to as 'gradual') is the key.
only point we dont agree is if braking right till apex is right. u say from experience, that it kills the balance, it is tough. i say, very.
but its tough doesnt mean i wont try to go for it. cos its THE perfect solution, howsoever tough to achieve.

abt TWS (Texas World Speedway), i hv no clue, never been there. if everything goes right, u should see me there in 2-3 months. i wld look forward to learning a thing or two from u guyz then! right:
lol, read your post, you said getting to the turn the fastest, which means coming in hot, keke i'd like to see you go in hot, and gradually use the brakes
Old 06-29-2005, 10:16 AM   #29
Moody
Holy Smokes!

Feedback Rating: (4)

Bike(s):

You guys are silly! I think Syd explained the concept a little better. Also, there are exercises you can practice with your bike to help with trail braking.... to sum it up you should be smooth at anything you are doing on the bike especially at a highspeed track like TWS (Texas World Speedway). I have noticed the closer I am to 2:00 minute laptimes the shakier the bike gets when I am not smooth with my movement on the bike.

I should have more feedback when I finish up the Ty Howard school this Saturday. right:

Open your eyes and reclaim the freedom you were born with. - Moody
Moody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2005, 10:29 AM   #30
speedismo
OCD for speed

Quote:

lol, read your post, you said getting to the turn the fastest, which means coming in hot, keke i'd like to see you go in hot, and gradually use the brakes
u got it

Old 06-29-2005, 01:20 PM   #31
Steve O Chap
Big Hero

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
1995 Suzuki RF600 - Sold
1993 Honda Shadow - Sold
2001 CBR F4i - Sold

Why don't you all do what's best and most comfortable to you... :dontknow:

If he's faster blitzing into the corner, jamming the brakes and blasting out, then so be it. Just don't take me out when you bring up your rear tire and shoot up the inside trying to pass me.

It you're faster carrying lots of corner speed... do it that way.

Different styles of bikes necessitate different styles of riding...

BTW... there are two philosophies here.

There is a slow in fast out philosophy and there is a fast in fast out ideal as well... both work, just depends on who's riding the bike.
Old 06-29-2005, 01:53 PM   #32
KalmarJoe
Cstoum Uesr Tltie

Bike(s):
05 Zx-12r

Then there's the too fast in...... ambulance out philosophy.
MH Insomniac #001
zx12r20banner
KalmarJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2005, 02:00 PM   #33
JoeRider

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueboy07734
thank guy i just wanted 2 know what most people do.....i do it just to correct my line* right:
since it sounds like cornering is fairly new to you, I'd recommend you do all your braking before any cornering - just like they taught you in the MSF course. Braking and cornering, especially at higher speeds, is not easily mastered, and for newer riders will result in a crash more times then not.

Get your corner entry speed dialed in before you get there, check your apex and start lookin to the exit of the corner, flick it and gently roll the gas on. Once you get that down with 99.9% effectiveness, then work on trail braking and more advanced techniques. JMO..take it as you want.

~Joe
Old 06-29-2005, 02:18 PM   #34
j14
Seņor Esmooth...not rich

that sounds like good advice, because what good is it going to do learning how to master more difficult skills if the basics haven't been mastered....that's why I don't ask about breaking in the turns because I NEED to master the basics
Old 06-29-2005, 03:10 PM   #35
RACER X
what R you lookin' at?

Feedback Rating: (26)

Trackdays: 8

Bike(s):
'14 Honda GROM! 181cc of fury!!
'10 Aprilia Tuono Factory-SOLD
'08 Busa - sold
A few more bought
A few more sold

i agree w/ JOE's answer if your a noob rider, esp. since he was in my class right:

and i agree w/ syd, slow in fast out.........not fast in, brake, see what happens.
Trump/Zimmerman 2016
Make America Great Again!
RACER X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2005, 04:05 PM   #36
3xv

Feedback Rating: (3)

"Then there's the too fast in...... ambulance out philosophy." :laughing6:
3xv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2005, 05:24 PM   #37
Capafool
QuePaso Racing

Experience: 7 years

Bike(s):
'01 Gixxer 1k (Track)
'10 Duc 848 (Street)
'05 Drz-110 (Tarded)

Send a message via AIM to Capafool Send a message via MSN to Capafool

for the backing it in part if u guys notice it is not a use of the rear brakes.. its the physics of the slipper clutch and having the tire spin at a much faster rate than the engine that causes the grip to break loose and spin the tire. Think about it, if you hit the rear brake the back tire wouldnt spin like it does since its being stopped(not completely of course but there's resistance from the brake). Ive seen some vids in slow motion that show the process of how they back it in. The brakes play a minor role in that.
CMRA Sprints #486
TMGP Endurance #46
"Scientists discover the world that exists; Engineers create the world that never was."
Capafool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2005, 06:45 PM   #38
arturo3rd
OG Sheriff/ Boss

Bike(s):
2015 HD Forty Eight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capafool
Ive seen some vids in slow motion that show the process of how they back it in. The brakes play a minor role in that.* *
post it or i wont beleive you.
Old 06-29-2005, 07:10 PM   #39
speedismo
OCD for speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by KalmarJoe
Then there's the too fast in...... ambulance out philosophy.
:laughing6:u righto

Old 06-29-2005, 07:41 PM   #40
blueboy07734

thank you ..........i just work on my basic, no used getting in bad habit that will come later

Advertisement