MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > Taking it to the Track
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 06-28-2005, 12:55 PM   #1
blueboy07734

Feedback Rating: (0)

corner

ok........... does any1 tap they back brake during a turn ...tell me if i'm been doing it wrong i drown shift before the apex and get entry speed ready for the lean right after and during the apex i very lightly tap on the back brake to ajust speed and position and gradualy speed out of the turn some people talking trail braking but that make my back tire slide out 2much ......... any idea? :eh:
blueboy07734 is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Spring is around the corner almost KEITH HUBBARD Cruisers Lounge 17 02-21-2011 03:12 PM
corner apex SBK Pilot General Discussion (Moto Related) 25 10-08-2008 02:48 PM
This corner might be a little bumpy... dhdrider General Discussion (Moto Related) 16 01-10-2007 01:51 PM
The oversteer corner... Mr. Unassailable Off Topic 2 01-08-2007 05:44 PM
Advertisement
Old 06-28-2005, 12:56 PM   #2
st3ph3n

Re: corner

You're lucky your rear hasn't slid out from under you. I was taught to never hit the brakes during a turn.
st3ph3n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2005, 12:57 PM   #3
KalmarJoe
Cstoum Uesr Tltie

Bike(s):
05 Zx-12r

NEVER hit the FRONT brake in a turn.

Referred to as tail braking, but more correctly trail braking. *I do it for good or bad, but it's more of a light press than a tap, if you're not gradual and subtle with the pressure, you can end up throwing the back end out.
MH Insomniac #001
zx12r20banner
KalmarJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2005, 01:05 PM   #4
Moody
Holy Smokes!

Feedback Rating: (4)

Bike(s):

Last I checked you never touch your rear brake on a track even for trail braking. Trail braking to my understanding is lightly applying the front brake as you lean toward your apex so you can carry a higher entry speed. Most of us do this at the track and never realize it. I do it by using my middle finger only and keeping my index finger ready for the emergency. of course if you get on them to hard you are going to wash the front or stand the bike up and head for the dirt. :dontknow:

http://www.sportrider.com/ride/RSS/146_0306_rss/

Open your eyes and reclaim the freedom you were born with. - Moody
Moody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2005, 01:29 PM   #5
CarbonJames
LSTD/TTBC Instructor

Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 1-3 months
Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
13 250sx
13 350sxf
12 150sx
07 CRF 230
04 CRF 50/70

Member Garage

i trail brake thru most corners on the track, i use the front or back brake,, just depends i guess, but i think it is safe as long as you do it correctly, most people do it, you ever watch the races, they always show Rossi on the front brake well into the turn.
CarbonJames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2005, 01:30 PM   #6
blueboy07734

so what happen when u enter the apex with 2 much speed ........how would u correct it with out high side ........that speaking with correct body position but just carrying *2 much speed *
Old 06-28-2005, 01:31 PM   #7
paniro187

Quote:
Originally Posted by KalmarJoe
NEVER hit the FRONT brake in a turn.

Referred to as tail braking, but more correctly trail braking. *I do it for good or bad, but it's more of a light press than a tap, if you're not gradual and subtle with the pressure, you can end up throwing the back end out.
what?

When you add emotion to any equation, you can't trust the results-Unknown
paniro187 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2005, 01:36 PM   #8
Steve O Chap
Big Hero

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
1995 Suzuki RF600 - Sold
1993 Honda Shadow - Sold
2001 CBR F4i - Sold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moody
Last I checked you never touch your rear brake on a track even for trail braking. Trail braking to my understanding is lightly applying the front brake as you lean toward your apex so you can carry a higher entry speed. Most of us do this at the track and never realize it. I do it by using my middle finger only and keeping my index finger ready for the emergency. of course if you get on them to hard you are going to wash the front or stand the bike up and head for the dirt.* :dontknow:

http://www.sportrider.com/ride/RSS/146_0306_rss/
Exactly... trail braking doesn't have to be your rear brake. Infact, if you use your rear like that you're most likely 'backing it in' by sliding the rear around to square off the corner. It takes an AMAZING amount of skill to be able to do it effectively.

Trail braking is basically using light pressure to gradually continue the slowdown process through the turn to the apex... becareful though, a fast transition of trailbraking to throttle is a recipe for disaster. Highsides galore for those who are hamfisted.
Old 06-28-2005, 01:39 PM   #9
Steve O Chap
Big Hero

Bike(s):
1995 Suzuki RF600 - Sold
1993 Honda Shadow - Sold
2001 CBR F4i - Sold

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueboy07734
so what happen when u enter the apex with 2 much speed ........how would u correct it with out high side ........that speaking with correct body position but just carrying *2 much speed *
There is a phrase that goes "Look, Lean and Believe"

If you enter a turn too fast... odds are you and you bike can easily make the turn. Look as far up the corner as possible, lean over as far as you can and believe you're going to make it.

Then, on the next turn... don't make the same mistake.

No offense, but from your questions it sounds like you're trying to implement skills that you should be yet. You need to get a good firm grasp of basic handling and cornering before trying any of these skills.

Come to a trackday... July 29th at TWS (Texas World Speedway), signups tomorrow at 10 am on www.lonestartrackdays.com

Old 06-28-2005, 01:43 PM   #10
CarbonJames
LSTD/TTBC Instructor

Experience: 1-3 months
Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
13 250sx
13 350sxf
12 150sx
07 CRF 230
04 CRF 50/70

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve O Chap
Quote:
There is a phrase that goes "Look, Lean and Believe"

If you enter a turn too fast... odds are you and you bike can easily make the turn. Look as far up the corner as possible, lean over as far as you can and believe you're going to make it.

Then, on the next turn... don't make the same mistake.

No offense, but from your questions it sounds like you're trying to implement skills that you should be yet. You need to get a good firm grasp of basic handling and cornering before trying any of these skills.

Come to a trackday... July 29th at TWS (Texas World Speedway), signups tomorrow at 10 am on www.lonestartrackdays.com

very well put,,

and if your backing it in,, youre a bad ...
CarbonJames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2005, 01:46 PM   #11
Moody
Holy Smokes!

Feedback Rating: (4)

Bike(s):

Quote:
Lean Harder! right:

Open your eyes and reclaim the freedom you were born with. - Moody
Moody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2005, 02:14 PM   #12
blueboy07734

thank guy that help :biggthumpup: be safe
Old 06-28-2005, 04:08 PM   #13
Capafool
QuePaso Racing

Experience: 7 years

Bike(s):
'01 Gixxer 1k (Track)
'10 Duc 848 (Street)
'05 Drz-110 (Tarded)

Send a message via AIM to Capafool Send a message via MSN to Capafool

very few tracks require that you use the rear brake for anything. For one you have to be reeeeally good. TWS (Texas World Speedway) does not need it at all! be light on the trail brake and just lean and look through the turn. You will make it! right:
CMRA Sprints #486
TMGP Endurance #46
"Scientists discover the world that exists; Engineers create the world that never was."
Capafool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2005, 04:36 PM   #14
Steve O Chap
Big Hero

Bike(s):
1995 Suzuki RF600 - Sold
1993 Honda Shadow - Sold
2001 CBR F4i - Sold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capafool
very few tracks require that* you use the rear brake for anything.* For one you have to be reeeeally good. TWS (Texas World Speedway) does not need it at all! be light on the trail brake and just lean and look through the turn.* You will make it!* right:
I actually know a few racers who've disconnected the rear brake... I never use it. It can get you into trouble too quickly.
Old 06-28-2005, 04:59 PM   #15
OutlawDCustoMs
Mr Professional

Experience: 3 years

02' Yamaha YZF-R6 (sold)
04' Yamaha YZF-R6 (sold)
05' Yamaha YZF-R6 (sold)
05' CMRA #328 (sold)

Send a message via AIM to OutlawDCustoMs

weee on a 125 i never hit hte brakes
Old 06-28-2005, 05:26 PM   #16
paniro187

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve O Chap
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capafool
very few tracks require that* you use the rear brake for anything.* For one you have to be reeeeally good. TWS (Texas World Speedway) does not need it at all! be light on the trail brake and just lean and look through the turn.* You will make it!* right:
I actually know a few racers who've disconnected the rear brake... I never use it. It can get you into trouble too quickly.
I used it at npr trying to be a pro and back it in. I did it and for the rest ofthe lap i had my hand up to get off and get into the pits. :eh:

scary .

When you add emotion to any equation, you can't trust the results-Unknown
paniro187 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2005, 06:13 PM   #17
ufo34
Carlos V

Bike(s):
R.I.Pieces

Quote:
ok........... does any1 tap they back brake during a turn ...tell me if i'm been doing it wrong i drown shift before the apex and get entry speed ready for the lean right after and during the apex i very lightly tap on the back brake to ajust speed and position and gradualy speed out of the turn some people talking trail braking but that make my back tire slide out 2much ......... any idea?* *:eh:* *
You are doing it right, a mid corner touch of the rear brake helps hold the bike's line down to the apex, shedding that last bit of speed without upsetting the chassis. And yes pro races use they're rear brakes, Mick Dohhan the five time 500gp champ, even developed a thumg brake when his right ankle was immobile

i'll rather be working on trail braking b4 using your rear brake though. right:

ufo34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2005, 06:38 PM   #18
speedismo
OCD for speed

if u want to be the fastest, u should be hurrying into a corner, and hurrying out of it! ur apex is the point where "hurrying in" changes into "hurrying out". Trail braking helps, but it has to be gradual, and ONLY before the apex. so till ur apex, u should be trying to apply minimum trail brake that will ensure u dont need any brake AT apex while still maintaining line. This completes the "hurrying in" part.

At ur "exact" apex ur braking should be zero , also ur acceleration should be zero(max lean of course).

From ur exact apex, the "hurrying out" part starts. U should be throwing in maximum acceleration that still lets u keep the line.That completes the "hurrying out" part.

And i guess I use mostly front brakes with a bit of rear(something like 80:20 maybe) for what u guyz call trail braking. and these r exactly my 2 cents, nothing more!! :icon_smile:

Travelomy:Simplify your travel.
speedismo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2005, 09:32 PM   #19
OutlawDCustoMs
Mr Professional

Experience: 3 years

02' Yamaha YZF-R6 (sold)
04' Yamaha YZF-R6 (sold)
05' Yamaha YZF-R6 (sold)
05' CMRA #328 (sold)

Send a message via AIM to OutlawDCustoMs

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedismo
if u want to be the fastest, u should be hurrying into a corner, and hurrying out of it! ur apex is the point where "hurrying in" changes into "hurrying out". Trail braking helps, but it has to be gradual, and ONLY before the apex. so till ur apex, u should be trying to apply minimum trail brake that will ensure u dont need any brake AT apex while still maintaining line. This completes the "hurrying in" part.

At ur "exact" apex ur braking should be zero , also ur acceleration should be zero(max lean of course).

From ur exact apex, the "hurrying out" part starts. U should be throwing in maximum acceleration that still lets u keep the line.That completes the "hurrying out" part.

And i guess I use mostly front brakes with a bit of rear(something like 80:20 maybe) for what u guyz call trail braking. and these r exactly my 2 cents, nothing more!! :icon_smile:
ummmm, ever heard the term "slowest in, fastest out" those are the guys who win races, by the way, the only time you use your rear brake is if you want to back it in, and that's for the extremely advanced riders, and most of the time to do it right you need a slipper clutch.... trail braking is done with your front brakes
Old 06-28-2005, 09:38 PM   #20
arturo3rd
OG Sheriff/ Boss

Bike(s):
2015 HD Forty Eight

j14 has a slipper clutch he wont be using at least for few more years. i could use one for and giggles sometimes. you know, when you to lazy to use throttle control

Advertisement