MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > Cruisers Lounge
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.


Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

Reply
Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 06-08-2015, 01:26 PM   #1
NforS88
Member
 
NforS88's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: SouthEast/Webster
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 83


Bike(s):
2009 Kawasaki Ninja 250r
2015 Harley Davidson Street Glide Special








Update on a prob

88 Honda Shadow VT 800

Having a battery issue, a fuel leak (somewhere) and a prob with either the clutch, master or slave cylinder (will turn over in neutral but dies once put into gear)

Anyone here know enough about this type of bike or issue and can help? Or would be willing to walk me through a diagnostic process so that I could better nail down the issue(s) so as to tell a mechanic specifically what to fix?
NforS88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Angel eyes prob, again :/ Shaunpe How To's and Q & A's 1 06-03-2015 11:27 PM
Prob a stupid Question BUT.......... ForgottnSoul Car Forum 9 05-15-2011 01:56 PM
visor prob with Spies setfast Taking it to the Track 20 07-29-2010 10:38 PM
Prob A Repost.... BigComfy Off Topic 2 10-22-2009 02:05 PM
ebay prob. RACER X Off Topic 32 01-22-2008 01:59 PM
Advertisement
Old 06-08-2015, 02:34 PM   #2
BYRDMAN
WX MAN
 
BYRDMAN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Houston
Feedback Rating: (8)
Posts: 9,311

Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
2015 KTM Adventure 1190
2007 KTM 300 XC smoker
2007 KTM 300 XC smoker


Member Garage





Quote:
Originally Posted by NforS88 View Post
88 Honda Shadow VT 800

Having a battery issue, a fuel leak (somewhere) and a prob with either the clutch, master or slave cylinder (will turn over in neutral but dies once put into gear)

Anyone here know enough about this type of bike or issue and can help? Or would be willing to walk me through a diagnostic process so that I could better nail down the issue(s) so as to tell a mechanic specifically what to fix?
If the clutch is hydraulic it sounds like the clutch is still grabbing when you have the clutch pulled and the bike is put in gear. Does it jerk forward with clutch in when you put it in 1st? If so it could be your clutch basket is notched and not allowing the plates to separate. If the clutch is cable driven then it could be just out of adjustment.......
__________________
If you can read this, thank a teacher, because its in English, thank a soldier"

AMERICAN MADE WITH MEXICAN PARTS
BYRDMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2015, 04:12 PM   #3
NforS88
Member
 
NforS88's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: SouthEast/Webster
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 83


Bike(s):
2009 Kawasaki Ninja 250r
2015 Harley Davidson Street Glide Special








Quote:
Originally Posted by BYRDMAN View Post
If the clutch is hydraulic it sounds like the clutch is still grabbing when you have the clutch pulled and the bike is put in gear. Does it jerk forward with clutch in when you put it in 1st? If so it could be your clutch basket is notched and not allowing the plates to separate. If the clutch is cable driven then it could be just out of adjustment.......

Clutch is hydraulic. It does jerk and die when you pull the clutch lever in and shift.

Should also mention before it finally stopped working, it was having problems switching gears smoothly, from first to second, etc, the friction zone seeming to disappear altogether.
NforS88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2015, 04:18 PM   #4
BYRDMAN
WX MAN
 
BYRDMAN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Houston
Feedback Rating: (8)
Posts: 9,311

Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
2015 KTM Adventure 1190
2007 KTM 300 XC smoker
2007 KTM 300 XC smoker


Member Garage





Quote:
Originally Posted by NforS88 View Post
Clutch is hydraulic. It does jerk and die when you pull the clutch lever in and shift.

Should also mention before it finally stopped working, it was having problems switching gears smoothly, from first to second, etc, the friction zone seeming to disappear altogether.
I would try reverse bleeding the clutch system first, then if that does not work I will take off the clutch cover inspect the clutch itself along with the basket.
R
Edit: before actually pulling the clutch and everything apart while you have the cover off actuate the clutch to make sure it's moving the pushrod.
__________________
If you can read this, thank a teacher, because its in English, thank a soldier"

AMERICAN MADE WITH MEXICAN PARTS
BYRDMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 05:18 PM   #5
NforS88
Member
 
NforS88's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: SouthEast/Webster
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 83


Bike(s):
2009 Kawasaki Ninja 250r
2015 Harley Davidson Street Glide Special








Quote:
Originally Posted by BYRDMAN View Post
I would try reverse bleeding the clutch system first, then if that does not work I will take off the clutch cover inspect the clutch itself along with the basket.
R
Edit: before actually pulling the clutch and everything apart while you have the cover off actuate the clutch to make sure it's moving the pushrod.
Dunno about reverse bleeding.... but awhile ago I got a brake bleeding kit and did that: flushed the old fluids and ran new in; didn't help a bit.

As to the other.... hmm. Ok. I can try that.
NforS88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2015, 01:22 PM   #6
jettech01
Motorcyle Rider not owner
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 99

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+











Bike Prob

Quote:
Originally Posted by NforS88 View Post
88 Honda Shadow VT 800

Having a battery issue, a fuel leak (somewhere) and a prob with either the clutch, master or slave cylinder (will turn over in neutral but dies once put into gear)

Anyone here know enough about this type of bike or issue and can help? Or would be willing to walk me through a diagnostic process so that I could better nail down the issue(s) so as to tell a mechanic specifically what to fix?
Check to see if the neutral safety switch is functioning correctly if it is not, the bike will die when placed in gear.
If switch is fine or non existent, make sure clutch is fully disengaging by pulling clutch and making sure bike will roll in gear (with engine not running) when clutch pulled in.
Let us know how you fair.
R
jettech01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Advertisement


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:45 PM.


MotoHouston.com is not responsible for the content posted by users.
Privacy Policy