MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 06-08-2015, 04:03 PM   #21
CarbonJames
LSTD/TTBC Instructor

Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 1-3 months
Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
13 250sx
13 350sxf
12 150sx
07 CRF 230
04 CRF 50/70

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpmustblaze View Post
BRYAN- Yes checked tire rotation on rim and rim rotation on bike, it is correct.

CarbonJames- Went to both locations, Sharpstown checked the balance, but could have changed the tire while I was there, Greenspoint is where they did nothing but visually inspected.
You can contact Gus at Sharpstown direct - or Scott at Greenspoint

Please explain to either of them your situation and tell them that I sent you direct to them rather than a counter guy. I know most of the guys at both locations but I do not recall meeting a David at Greenspoint.

And they do have issues with the tire machine and it may only be managers that know how to or are allowed to use the machine to do tires.

Either way, I hate to hear you had a bad experience with them, they have supported my race programs for 9 years now and I have never had an issue whatsoever with anything or anyone there.

I'll send you pm
CarbonJames is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
cycle gear QUICKGIXX Taking it to the Track 2 08-31-2011 08:57 PM
Which Cycle Gear... cedestech General Discussion (Moto Related) 16 10-19-2009 11:58 PM
Cycle gear CarbonJames Off Topic 10 10-01-2006 10:05 AM
CYCLE GEAR RYAN5102 General Discussion (Moto Related) 25 02-03-2006 10:10 PM
New Cycle Gear Slvr04 Off Topic 13 01-10-2006 10:39 PM
Advertisement
Old 06-08-2015, 04:40 PM   #22
ninenine
cmra expert

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
2015yzf-r6 A-bike
2012yzf-r6 B-bike

To the op,

I remember you coming into the Sharpstown location last week with your tire. This is Mike... The guy who told you to contact customer service if there was still an issue after Gus balanced the tire (because it was off).

Let me try and explain some things to you... First, Cyclegear has a specific policy on tires. If you buy from us and let someone else mount them, we can't just swap the tire when there is no proof of damage. Especially when you let another company mount it. If I remember correct, after you told me Tejas mounted the tire, I explained this to you.

2nd, the guy you're calling an idiot... Is David Anderson. I assure you, he is no idiot and is one of the nicest guys you can ever meet. With that being said, he also has a job and rules to follow. The policy there is strict and without management being on hand, he can't do what you're asking.

I'm sorry that you're having this issue and I felt we treated you with respect and tried our best to help you. , I even gave you my personal phone number in case there was an issue again... Which I never received a call.
CMRA#99
WERA#99
Sponsors:HoPD,P1 Racing,SCRC,Pirelli,Arai,BD Racing,Vesrah,Vortex,VP Race Fuels,Optimal Racing,Motul
ninenine is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked this post:
Old 06-08-2015, 04:46 PM   #23
Twenty Six

Feedback Rating: (6)

Bike(s):
1988 Huffy Vortex (Track Bike)
Radio Flyer Tricycle (SOLD)
Schwinn Beach Cruiser (Stunt Bike)
MV Agusta F4 (Garage Queen)

I was @ Cycle gear yesterday. Guy named David helped my girlfriend with a new pair of Alpinestars boots, and a visor for my RF-1200. Come to think of it, a guy named David has helped my girlfriend with her jacket, my jacket, my helmet, her helmet, her gloves, my battery, my battery charger. Or when I had a pricing issue after buying the charger, customer service was more than helpful. This was all withing the past months. Come to think off it. I've been buying from the North Houston Cycle gear since 2009. I have never had any issue with anything from purchases, returns, custom orders, or customer service. Not really sure about the statement of Cycle Gear not caring about a riders safety, since I know full well that the company in whole has always taken care of me, and the sales people tend to know what they are talking about when it comes to anything I've ever needed advice with. Just out of curiosity. What type of tire was it? Brand, and model?
Twenty Six is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked this post:
Old 06-08-2015, 04:46 PM   #24
BuckNut
Banned

Bike(s):
Huffy
None
None
None

User is banned

BuckNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2015, 05:05 PM   #25
Rod
Near Miss Racing Team #96

Bike(s):
R3 2015
TS185 74
EX250R 2010 "A" race bike
EX250R 2008 "B" race bike
150cc Rocketta Scooter "the "

rant away OP
CMRA#672
Rod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2015, 05:08 PM   #26
RACER X
what R you lookin' at?

Feedback Rating: (26)

Trackdays: 8

Bike(s):
'14 Honda GROM! 181cc of fury!!
'10 Aprilia Tuono Factory-SOLD
'08 Busa - sold
A few more bought
A few more sold

Somebody else mounted the tire? Did they put it on the bike as well?
Trump/Zimmerman 2016
Make America Great Again!
RACER X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2015, 07:50 PM   #27
40acres

Bike(s):
2008 zx-6r
2011 kx250f
2006 zx-6r (R.I.P.)
2004 RM 125 (sold)

LOL, good ole cycle gear. I stay out of that place if I have to. Otherwise Scott tries to tell me how awesome their Bilt and Sedici brands are.
40acres is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked this post:
Old 06-08-2015, 09:51 PM   #28
Volfy
Fava Beans & a Chianti

Bike(s):
'15 300RR
'15 250XCF-W
'14 Trophy SE
'10 VFR1200F
'05 GSXR600 (track)

Member Garage

I bought a bunch of gear from the Sharpestown CG. Got a couple of tires installed there with absolutely no problem. They mount and balance for cheap when you buy the tire from them. A lot of the guys I remember dealing with there are gone, but Andre is still there. He still remembered me by name when I walked in yesterday - after nearly a yr of not been there. Great guy!

If you had somebody else mount the tire for you, the problem more than likely lie there. Most often, the axle nut gets over-tightened. If you are lucky, the forks got tweaked out of alignment. At worst, they distorted the spacers. Either way could make the wheel/tire wobble.

The way tires are mfr'ed these days, as long as it is a reputable brand, leave very little chance of being so off balance you couldn't fix on a static stand. I must have mounted and balanced 20+ motorcycle tire by now, none took more than 2 Oz of weights to come out near perfect static balance. Most take 1 Oz or less... assuming you line up the factory balance mark (red dot) properly when mounting it.
Volfy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2015, 09:55 PM   #29
Repth
Keyboard Warrior

Experience: 2 years
Trackdays: 2

Bike(s):
'14 Street Triple R

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninenine View Post
To the op,

I remember you coming into the Sharpstown location last week with your tire. This is Mike... The guy who told you to contact customer service if there was still an issue after Gus balanced the tire (because it was off).

Let me try and explain some things to you... First, Cyclegear has a specific policy on tires. If you buy from us and let someone else mount them, we can't just swap the tire when there is no proof of damage. Especially when you let another company mount it. If I remember correct, after you told me Tejas mounted the tire, I explained this to you.

2nd, the guy you're calling an idiot... Is David Anderson. I assure you, he is no idiot and is one of the nicest guys you can ever meet. With that being said, he also has a job and rules to follow. The policy there is strict and without management being on hand, he can't do what you're asking.

I'm sorry that you're having this issue and I felt we treated you with respect and tried our best to help you. , I even gave you my personal phone number in case there was an issue again... Which I never received a call.
That's hysterical. I read the original post and got this feeling like we were gonna' find out the real truth on this story. And there it is.

Hey OP, you are the kind of customer that businesses are happy to lose.
Liked this post:
Old 06-09-2015, 12:11 AM   #30
Rowdy76

Experience: 2 years
Trackdays: 2

Bike(s):
2013 Kawi Ninja 300 ABS

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Repth View Post
That's hysterical. I read the original post and got this feeling like we were gonna' find out the real truth on this story. And there it is.

Hey OP, you are the kind of customer that businesses are happy to lose.
Quote:
“Take front tire off, take it to the nearest cycle gear which is 40 minutes away, to explain the situation. They rebalance and tell me to try it again and call customer service if it doesn't fix it. Well, problem still exists, so next day I call customer service. Katelyn from customer service, advises me to take the tire to another cycle gear a bit closer, 35 minutes away and said that store would replace the tire. Call before I leave to make sure they have the brand name tire in the store and they confirm they do. Again, I take the front wheel off and head to the store. David, jerk off, at the counter says he doesn't see anything wrong with the tire or rim sitting on the counter, so it must be ok, cause he can see everything about that tire inside and out with it just on the counter, right expert? So I explain this whole situation to him and he says he has to call his manager and that he and one other guy are the only ones working, so he can't get to it today. I am standing in front of him with the tire and rim in my hand, it is not on the bike, I already did the hard part right? He proceeds to call his worthless manager who says he can't do anything because he is not there, that I should come back Monday or Tuesday. I work Monday thru Friday like most people and I am here now and my drive is far, remember. So after I thank David, idiot, for wasting my time, I told him this was a safety concern at this point and tires can be defective from the manufacturer and he looked at me like that could never happen. He also said "We don't give away free tires." Really, is that what I am asking for when I have a defective brand new tire in my hand moron! I want a good tire, not a new tire. So I get back in my truck and call customer service while still in the parking lot, Katelyn calls the store while I am on hold and David tells her the same thing, come back Monday or Tuesday. Needless to say, cycle gear does not understand riders, and that we RIDE.”
OK ... really. I understand his frustration. He was told his tire would be replaced by Customer Service. That is end of it right there. Tire should have been replaced. If CycleGear Greenspoint does not have the ability to offer all its services without a manager present sounds like its time for new employees. Then you have a store level person telling corporate customer service it can be done for a few days with the customer standing there with the tire off.

I would have a hard time supporting a company that offers services but can only been done with the manager there and there is no manager present for a few days..especially a weekend. Sorry this is retail...Managers always work weekends sucks but that is the life of retail. It would leave a bad taste in my mouth as well.
Rowdy76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 03:18 AM   #31
40acres

Bike(s):
2008 zx-6r
2011 kx250f
2006 zx-6r (R.I.P.)
2004 RM 125 (sold)

^ no !

I can tell you they don't even let their employees manually enter a credit card number without a manager. Would always have the hardest time when I had a card that was wearing out. Now they can't take a return on a deffective tire without a manager? It's retail, take the tire back, mount him a new one and send the deffective tire back to your warehouse so your store gets credit for the tire they just mounted. 1) a monkey can mount/ balance a tire and 2) it's just good, all around customer service. For what it's worth, I never deal with CG for things like this to begin with. Their prices are always a bit higher and you can't walk in there without tripping over bilt helmets everywhere you turn.
Liked this post:
Old 06-09-2015, 07:39 AM   #32
ninenine
cmra expert

Bike(s):
2015yzf-r6 A-bike
2012yzf-r6 B-bike

Quote:
Originally Posted by 40acres View Post

I can tell you they don't even let their employees manually enter a credit card number without a manager.

No employee (managers too) is to manually input ANYONES credit card information due to the high amount of fraud. If someone does, they're willing to take the risk.

Would always have the hardest time when I had a card that was wearing out. Now they can't take a return on a deffective tire without a manager?

Did you see the tire? I did. There was nothing defective about it. When you do a return, you have to state the reason. You can't just make stuff up. I observed the tire and listened to what he had to say. I'm willing to bet it's something on their end as far as installing the wheel back onto the bike.

Their prices are always a bit higher

Cyclegear has the best price guaranteed. If another reputable site has something at a lower cost, I'll match it, or beat it. Period.

It's so much easier explaining how someone else should do their job when you're not in that position.
CMRA#99
WERA#99
Sponsors:HoPD,P1 Racing,SCRC,Pirelli,Arai,BD Racing,Vesrah,Vortex,VP Race Fuels,Optimal Racing,Motul

Last edited by ninenine; 06-09-2015 at 07:43 AM.
ninenine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 07:54 AM   #33
jpmustblaze

Bike(s):
2003 Suzuki TLR
2000 Suzuki Katana
1990 Suzuki RM 250
Ventana El Chamuco

OK, so now you heard CG's side. I ordered the tire online on CG's website because the Sharpstown store did not have the tire size I needed in stock. Now, I had them mounted at Tejas because guess what, Tejas is a of a lot closer than CG is to me, who wouldn't do that. Have had many tires mounted there, not one single problem. Also, I removed the tire and rim myself and reinstall them myself, so Tejas didn't tweak anything. So before I even took the tire to CG I took it back to Tejas to have them recheck the balance which they did in front of me. They did not touch the motorcycle. Also, this particular motorcycle is not new to me, I have been riding it for 15 years and do all the maintenance myself and know it inside and out so I know when something is not right about it. Yes, Mike at Sharpstown did give me his personal number, no I did not use it, I called customer service and was told what to do and did it. Now, lets get back to tires. Someone here said tires are better these days with less defects from the manufacturer and I agree, but defective tires do and still exist my friend, discount tire has had to replace the tires on my truck do to belt separation from defective tires. So with CG's policy, if someone buys something, puts it on there bike, the product doesn't quite fit or function right, defective if you will, because you yourself installed it or a mechanic or a dealership for that matter installed, but not CG, it is your fault not CG. Never did I say I wasn't treated with respect, but it wasn't till I went to Greenspoint that I had enough of the excuses. I didn't modify the tire, it looks fine to me just looking at it, but could it be possible there is a problem with it with the weight of the bike and myself on it? Who knows, I'm not a tire expert, but I have enough sense to know there is a problem and it isn't safe. It really is awesome to ride a bike that you know and trust, but now you can't because it wobbles. Again, I wasn't asking for a new tire or a different upgraded brand tire, I was asking for a replacement tire. I didn't bring in a tire that I put thousands of miles on or from a weekend track day, nothing of the sort.
jpmustblaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked this post:
Old 06-09-2015, 07:57 AM   #34
BYRDMAN
WX MAN

Feedback Rating: (8)

Bike(s):
2015 KTM Adventure 1190
2007 KTM 300 XC smoker
2007 KTM 300 XC smoker

Member Garage

Quote:
OK, so now you heard CG's side. I ordered the tire online on CG's website because the Sharpstown store did not have the tire size I needed in stock. Now, I had them mounted at Tejas because guess what, Tejas is a of a lot closer than CG is to me, who wouldn't do that. Have had many tires mounted there, not one single problem. Also, I removed the tire and rim myself and reinstall them myself, so Tejas didn't tweak anything. So before I even took the tire to CG I took it back to Tejas to have them recheck the balance which they did in front of me. They did not touch the motorcycle. Also, this particular motorcycle is not new to me, I have been riding it for 15 years and do all the maintenance myself and know it inside and out so I know when something is not right about it. Yes, Mike at Sharpstown did give me his personal number, no I did not use it, I called customer service and was told what to do and did it. Now, lets get back to tires. Someone here said tires are better these days with less defects from the manufacturer and I agree, but defective tires do and still exist my friend, discount tire has had to replace the tires on my truck do to belt separation from defective tires. So with CG's policy, if someone buys something, puts it on there bike, the product doesn't quite fit or function right, defective if you will, because you yourself installed it or a mechanic or a dealership for that matter installed, but not CG, it is your fault not CG. Never did I say I wasn't treated with respect, but it wasn't till I went to Greenspoint that I had enough of the excuses. I didn't modify the tire, it looks fine to me just looking at it, but could it be possible there is a problem with it with the weight of the bike and myself on it? Who knows, I'm not a tire expert, but I have enough sense to know there is a problem and it isn't safe. It really is awesome to ride a bike that you know and trust, but now you can't because it wobbles. Again, I wasn't asking for a new tire or a different upgraded brand tire, I was asking for a replacement tire. I didn't bring in a tire that I put thousands of miles on or from a weekend track day, nothing of the sort.
Don't worry man Id be frustrated too......what tire is it? Also have you tried to spin the rim on your bike? the Rim could be possibly bent...

AMERICAN MADE WITH MEXICAN PARTS
BYRDMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 08:03 AM   #35
40acres

Bike(s):
2008 zx-6r
2011 kx250f
2006 zx-6r (R.I.P.)
2004 RM 125 (sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninenine View Post
It's so much easier explaining how someone else should do their job when you're not in that position.
It's retail, and I'be been there. It ain't rocket science.

Edit: what'd the tire look like on the inside? And your best price guarantee is only on items you carry, so not all that beneficial because there isn't much that cycle gear carries aside from Bilt, Sedici or Trackside. And guess what? Your manager DID manually enter my faulty CC because he wanted to make a sale!

Last edited by 40acres; 06-09-2015 at 08:08 AM.
Old 06-09-2015, 08:08 AM   #36
bumblebee
Yeah I'm flippin' YOU off

Feedback Rating: (3)

Bike(s):
'74 Suzuki GT380
'82 XS650 StreetTracker
'10 Ducati Streetfighter
'83 Yamaha Seca 900

Quote:
Originally Posted by 40acres View Post
It's retail, and I've been there. It ain't rocket science.
Agreed.
I had a certain part get a small scratch at a certain small shop. I wasn't overly worried about it, touch up would have been OK with me.
They insisted on buying a NEW OEM part to replace it. I tried to talk them out of it but they wouldn't listen.
It cost them $1100.

THAT my friends is customer service and the reason why I drive from Pearland to 1960 when I need parts, accessories or service. They got a customer for life for that.
Bevo- "I lack skillz"
bumblebee is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked this post:
Old 06-09-2015, 08:43 AM   #37
jpmustblaze

Bike(s):
2003 Suzuki TLR
2000 Suzuki Katana
1990 Suzuki RM 250
Ventana El Chamuco

Mike, I am not here to fight with you, I think you are a nice guy, you and the staff at Sharpstown did treat me with respect. Also, yes you did give me your number, but you also said to call customer service and I did that and followed her instructions.
jpmustblaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 08:47 AM   #38
green600
HG Chairperson

Feedback Rating: (3)

Mike I think your account got hacked or something? Well said who ever posted in though.lol

yeah. I thought it'd be like riding with a condescending rossi.
green600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked this post:
Old 06-09-2015, 08:49 AM   #39
M@tt
Platinum Member

Feedback Rating: (1)

Bike(s):
09 - Gixxer 1000
06 - Gixxer 750 Track / Garage

Someone give the person a track take off and mount it for him. Let him test out the tire, if there is no issue than, yes it CG fault. I am not saying CG isn't a great shop for our motorcycle community, but someone help this OP out. That is what we are here for to ride and help others.

Last edited by M@tt; 06-09-2015 at 08:52 AM.
M@tt is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked this post:
Old 06-09-2015, 08:52 AM   #40
texlurch
Official MH tag inspector

Feedback Rating: (2)

Bike(s):
04 ZX-10R
02 ZX-12R BOTM 12/11
00 ZX-12R
07 GSXR 600
00 TL1000R BOTM 07/12 (sold)

Member Garage

I've had a perfectly good "looking" tires that had belt seperation inside and acted the same way. Balanced and rooled fine, shook around 60-70, but then would clean up closer to 110.. ignored it and ended up loosing the front end mid-corner and high siding.
Tire still "looked' fine when it was dis-mounted...

Point of the story is unless you have on your x-ray vision glasses then "looking" at a tire ain't gonna tell you nothing.

Plus it's customer service, so the customer is ALWAYS right...
Not worth the cost of a tire that gets written off, versus having this much crappy publicity, is it?
.... Home of the "Black Ninja's"
texlurch is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked this post:

Advertisement