MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 06-08-2015, 12:43 PM   #1
jpmustblaze

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
2003 Suzuki TLR
2000 Suzuki Katana
1990 Suzuki RM 250
Ventana El Chamuco

Cycle Gear

“Never, never, never, never order a tire from this company”. I ordered 2 tires, front and rear. Tires shipped in a couple days, everything was fine at that point. Get the tires mounted at a reputable dealership, take the bike for a ride and right as I reach 40-50mph wobble in my steering. Have dealership check rims and tire, no balance issue no problem with rim can be found. Now mind you no wobble before tire change. I go home check my rotors, steering head, brakes for sticking, and lastly my alignment. I even changed my fork oil just to make sure, all is good. Test ride, still wobbles. Take front tire off, take it to the nearest cycle gear which is 40 minutes away, to explain the situation. They rebalance and tell me to try it again and call customer service if it doesn't fix it. Well, problem still exists, so next day I call customer service. Katelyn from customer service, advises me to take the tire to another cycle gear a bit closer, 35 minutes away and said that store would replace the tire. Call before I leave to make sure they have the brand name tire in the store and they confirm they do. Again, I take the front wheel off and head to the store. David, jerk off, at the counter says he doesn't see anything wrong with the tire or rim sitting on the counter, so it must be ok, cause he can see everything about that tire inside and out with it just on the counter, right expert? So I explain this whole situation to him and he says he has to call his manager and that he and one other guy are the only ones working, so he can't get to it today. I am standing in front of him with the tire and rim in my hand, it is not on the bike, I already did the hard part right? He proceeds to call his worthless manager who says he can't do anything because he is not there, that I should come back Monday or Tuesday. I work Monday thru Friday like most people and I am here now and my drive is far, remember. So after I thank David, idiot, for wasting my time, I told him this was a safety concern at this point and tires can be defective from the manufacturer and he looked at me like that could never happen. He also said "We don't give away free tires." Really, is that what I am asking for when I have a defective brand new tire in my hand moron! I want a good tire, not a new tire. So I get back in my truck and call customer service while still in the parking lot, Katelyn calls the store while I am on hold and David tells her the same thing, come back Monday or Tuesday. Needless to say, cycle gear does not understand riders, and that we RIDE. This company will compromise our safety for $78.00. They don't care about your safety or the safety of others who might ride with you, so please, do yourself a favor and get your tires and safety gear from somewhere else because this company could give a !!!!!!”
jpmustblaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
cycle gear QUICKGIXX Taking it to the Track 2 08-31-2011 08:57 PM
Which Cycle Gear... cedestech General Discussion (Moto Related) 16 10-19-2009 11:58 PM
Cycle gear CarbonJames Off Topic 10 10-01-2006 10:05 AM
CYCLE GEAR RYAN5102 General Discussion (Moto Related) 25 02-03-2006 10:10 PM
New Cycle Gear Slvr04 Off Topic 13 01-10-2006 10:39 PM
Advertisement
Old 06-08-2015, 12:54 PM   #2
RACER X
what R you lookin' at?

Feedback Rating: (26)

Trackdays: 8

Bike(s):
'14 Honda GROM! 181cc of fury!!
'10 Aprilia Tuono Factory-SOLD
'08 Busa - sold
A few more bought
A few more sold

So what's the prob.,w the tire?
Trump/Zimmerman 2016
Make America Great Again!
RACER X is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2015, 12:54 PM   #3
jettech01
Motorcyle Rider not owner

Trackdays: 10+

Sorry for your issues, What part of town are you in? I am in the NW end of town (Willowbrook) I can mount a replacement tire on your wheel for you and check the balance, you are welcome to watch while I do the work! I work out of my Garage and am pretty free most of the time.

I have been mounting my own tires and those of friends for years (10+) I have done some suspension work (seals, springs,oil change and set up) for my personal bikes. And have had no issues.

I am too much of an retentive to let someone else do work for me I can do for myself. LOL.....Best of luck in your problem, if you are in the area I am available today (Monday) and Wednesday morning ( I work evenings)

Ride safe Out there......to many idiots out there trying to eliminate us one at a time.

jettech01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2015, 12:55 PM   #4
bumblebee
Yeah I'm flippin' YOU off

Feedback Rating: (3)

Bike(s):
'74 Suzuki GT380
'82 XS650 StreetTracker
'10 Ducati Streetfighter
'83 Yamaha Seca 900

That sucks.
I have questions. You bought the tires at Cycle Gear?
So, what's the $78 for? They charge that much for mount and balance?
Bevo- "I lack skillz"
bumblebee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2015, 01:05 PM   #5
Repth
Keyboard Warrior

Experience: 2 years
Trackdays: 2

Bike(s):
'14 Street Triple R

Cycle Gear customer service has been nothing short of amazing for me.
Old 06-08-2015, 01:06 PM   #6
BuckNut
Banned

Experience: 1-3 months
Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
Huffy
None
None
None

User is banned

BuckNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2015, 01:07 PM   #7
hondarider77

Bike(s):
2007 cbr1000rr
2005 crf450r
2005 crf150f
2005 crf150f tarded
2008 r6

Send a message via AIM to hondarider77
Just buy a Bridgestone and mount it yourself. Problem solved. Has worked well for me in the past
hondarider77 is online now   Reply With Quote
Liked this post:
Old 06-08-2015, 01:14 PM   #8
wh!plash

Trackdays: 3

Member Garage

I also have a No-Mar tire changer setup in my home garage, just FYI for friends.

Although I haven't used any here, I had awesome luck with them in Florida. Probably because they were all friends that worked there, but still...

Probably around 07 I got a regular Pilot Power front mounted, and had weird speed shimmy going on at interstate speed. Ever ridden on a blacktop surface when they are resurfacing it, and left it with all the grooves? Felt like that on normal concrete. Brought it into the shop, and he called the Michelin rep. They replaced the tire free of charge, turned out to have a belt separation inside. So I know defects must happen from time to time.

Last edited by wh!plash; 06-08-2015 at 01:16 PM.
wh!plash is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked this post:
Old 06-08-2015, 01:18 PM   #9
jpmustblaze

Bike(s):
2003 Suzuki TLR
2000 Suzuki Katana
1990 Suzuki RM 250
Ventana El Chamuco

RACER X-I am not sure what is wrong with the tire. Been balanced 3 times, bike has been gone over. Prior to changing the tires, I had 0 wobble, so the tires were the only thing changed when I got the wobble, but just to be sure, I checked everything else to eliminate the defective tire possibility before trying to get the tire exchanged.

bumblebee-$78 dollars was just the price of the front tire on sale.

BuckNut- I would put on my old tires if I still had them, but they were disposed of when the new tires were mounted.

jettech01-Appreciate the offer, I'm NE. I'll let you know if I need your help. Thanks.
Old 06-08-2015, 01:35 PM   #10
hondarider77

Bike(s):
2007 cbr1000rr
2005 crf450r
2005 crf150f
2005 crf150f tarded
2008 r6

Send a message via AIM to hondarider77
Just because it's a brand new tire doesn't mean that it can't be defective. Tires are defective all the time
hondarider77 is online now   Reply With Quote
Liked this post:
Old 06-08-2015, 01:37 PM   #11
BRYAN
Big and Cranky...

Feedback Rating: (2)

Bike(s):
A Trackbike
Another Trackbike
A Motard

are you sure your installing the wheel onto the bike correctly?

do check to see if they (wheels and/or tire) were mounted in the correct rotation direction?
Old 06-08-2015, 01:39 PM   #12
CarbonJames
LSTD/TTBC Instructor

Feedback Rating: (1)

Bike(s):
13 250sx
13 350sxf
12 150sx
07 CRF 230
04 CRF 50/70

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpmustblaze View Post
RACER X-I am not sure what is wrong with the tire. Been balanced 3 times, bike has been gone over. Prior to changing the tires, I had 0 wobble, so the tires were the only thing changed when I got the wobble, but just to be sure, I checked everything else to eliminate the defective tire possibility before trying to get the tire exchanged.

bumblebee-$78 dollars was just the price of the front tire on sale.

BuckNut- I would put on my old tires if I still had them, but they were disposed of when the new tires were mounted.

jettech01-Appreciate the offer, I'm NE. I'll let you know if I need your help. Thanks.
What CG location are you dealing with exactly?

I have a great relationship with the Greenspoint and Sharpstown guys so I can help you in this matter, I also personally know a few of the Corporate guys and have a little pull. It sounds like you do have a defective tire and I disagree with the service you have gotten thus far.

CG is a great company to deal with and buy from, they have excellent return and exchange policies plus, on a tire, this should be a no brainer.

To me it sounds like this counter person is new, has little knowledge of how to dismount and mount a tire on the machine so understand that he can not help you in that area, his words on the otherhand are unexcusable in my opinion. You should have asked to speak to the manager via phone if he wasn't present.
CarbonJames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2015, 01:50 PM   #13
jpmustblaze

Bike(s):
2003 Suzuki TLR
2000 Suzuki Katana
1990 Suzuki RM 250
Ventana El Chamuco

BRYAN- Yes checked tire rotation on rim and rim rotation on bike, it is correct.

CarbonJames- Went to both locations, Sharpstown checked the balance, but could have changed the tire while I was there, Greenspoint is where they did nothing but visually inspected.
Old 06-08-2015, 02:24 PM   #14
TomballD

Feedback Rating: (5)

Bike(s):
DR350
XR50
TDub-200
XR100-Tarded
1981 XR80

Last time I was at Greenspoint they said the machine was down and they couldn't do it but refereed me to a "friends" shop upon airline. I drove by but was concerned about getting robbed or with by the look of the "shop" so I just put it on myself. They are weird in there sometimes but mostly I get good service.
Old 06-08-2015, 02:59 PM   #15
urbanXJ
erect engorged member

Experience: 9 years

Bike(s):
2008 Versys

call the corporate office
urbanXJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2015, 03:05 PM   #16
Deano3090
Dino Racing

Feedback Rating: (2)

Bike(s):
2012 YZF-R1 - (Race)
2009 GSXR 750 - (Race)
2007 GSXR 750 - (Race)
2003 CRF450 Motard (Race)
2005 CRF100 Motard (Race)

Have you checked your rim direction?
(Not the tire direction)

If your brakes have been worn in one directions and you flip the rim, the brakes will make a wobble feeling. Nothing to do with the tire. This sounds a lot like the problem this would cause.

I've had nothing but great experiences with Cycle Gear.
www.SCRaceCenter.com - www.P-1Race.com - www.DNPAmericas.com - www.GoPro.com
www.amsoil.com - www.racerglovesusa.com - www.VPRacingFuels.com - www.SidiSport.com

Last edited by Deano3090; 06-08-2015 at 03:07 PM.
Deano3090 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2015, 03:24 PM   #17
wh!plash

Trackdays: 3

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deano3090 View Post
Have you checked your rim direction?
(Not the tire direction)

If your brakes have been worn in one directions and you flip the rim, the brakes will make a wobble feeling. Nothing to do with the tire. This sounds a lot like the problem this would cause.
That's an interesting one. I've never mounted a rim backwards, but I would have guessed it would feel like mounting different rotors, until the pads bedded in.
wh!plash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2015, 03:32 PM   #18
Flip Flop
Ordained Minister

Experience: 1 year

Bike(s):
2006 SV650S(sold)(happy now?)
Toes Ducati Multistrada(what now buck?)

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanXJ View Post
call the corporate office
Bingo.

That or an email, if you can find one. Works every time for me and I have had some serious issues that the managers in the store could have gave a about.(not cycle gear...mainly automotive places)
Flip Flop is online now   Reply With Quote
Liked this post:
Old 06-08-2015, 03:44 PM   #19
BuckNut
Banned

Bike(s):
Huffy
None
None
None

User is banned

BuckNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2015, 03:45 PM   #20
urbanXJ
erect engorged member

Experience: 9 years

Bike(s):
2008 Versys

not to mention all the running around in his copious free time...
urbanXJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisement