MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > Taking it to the Track
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 06-22-2007, 09:22 AM   #1
SVmike
nuthin'

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 3 years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
just a mtn bike now...

Send a message via AIM to SVmike
TWS (Texas World Speedway) reference points

I've been having difficulty finding reference points in turns 1 and 2. Could anybody name a few? I was told to initiate turn in at T2 when I can see the start of the yellow curbing. I usually try to straighten out t1 so I'm not combining both t1 and t2 into one big turn. Actually what I'm trying to say is I'm having trouble getting from t1 to t2 b/c I haven't found anything to let me know where I am b/n the two. Feels like I'm riding blind through that section.

oh t8 is kinda tough for me as well. Can't seem to figure out when to start slowing for the turn. Have a general idea when I'm approaching but I'm always worried I'm gonna blow it and go off-roading...or worse.

thanks
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Australia bans AD and BC as reference points for dates Grinchy Off Topic 39 09-06-2011 08:21 PM
CCS-TWS (Texas World Speedway) laps and points posted Whoop Taking it to the Track 1 07-19-2008 11:55 AM
reference points? or pure feelings? houseofpaint Taking it to the Track 35 01-11-2008 10:30 AM
Good Article On Reference Points! Patrick Taking it to the Track 3 12-12-2007 02:52 PM
Good Article On Reference Points! Patrick Motorcycle Articles 3 12-12-2007 02:52 PM
Advertisement
Old 06-22-2007, 09:23 AM   #2
houseofpaint
PM for BESTPRICE on parts

Feedback Rating: (7)

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
2010 Yamaha R1 racebike
2012 GSXR750 Racebike
2003 DRZ125 semiflattracker

Member Garage

Send a message via AIM to houseofpaint
are you talking about TWS (Texas World Speedway)?

Custom Paint, Powdercoating, and Collision repair (Cars and bikes)[/b]
houseofpaint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2007, 09:24 AM   #3
SVmike
nuthin'

Bike(s):
just a mtn bike now...

yup
Old 06-22-2007, 09:28 AM   #4
BigComfy

Feedback Rating: (3)

Experience: 1-3 months

Bike(s):
SV1k (sold)
CRB6 Track Bike (sold)
Daytona 1200 (parted)
1st Gen FZ1 (sold)
1st Gen SV650 (sold)

Member Garage

here you go check out the Marcus Mcbain track maps.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moody
Track day Guide (Thanks to Patrick)
http://www.motohouston.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4310

Marcus McBain's Advanced Riders School Handbook (Nice Read)
http://www.roadracinghelp.com/LessonBook/School.htm

Marcus McBain's Track Maps (Good Stuff)
http://www.roadracinghelp.com/LessonBook/track_maps.htm

Sport Rider - Riding Skill Series

http://www.sportrider.com/ride/RSS/
Old 06-22-2007, 09:30 AM   #5
dhdrider

Bike(s):
08 KTM 300 XC-W

This may help: http://www.roadracinghelp.com/LessonBook/TWS (Texas World Speedway)%20Maps.htm

2008 KTM 200 XC

Klim Technical Riding Gear
Maine Root Handcrafted Beverages
Retail Resource Group
Primus Real Estate Services
TORCS #301
TSCEC #1114
dhdrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2007, 09:31 AM   #6
dhdrider

Bike(s):
08 KTM 300 XC-W

Doh, I'm too slow...

2008 KTM 200 XC

Retail Resource Group
TORCS #301
TSCEC #1114
Old 06-22-2007, 09:39 AM   #7
FireMalt
Recovering track addict

Start to turn in off the banking going into T1 at the #1 sign(there is a #3, #2, and #1 sign on the right on the wall). You can go ALOT faster than you can imagine into T1 cause you have SO much room to scrub off speed while waiting to turn into T2. No reason to take T1 tight...

After you hit the transition, grab 2 gears while the bike is semi-upright

Stay wide for T2 until the yellow paint strip ends(paint strip is about 15ft. from the edge of the right side of the track), and dive in!

Anybody else agree or disagree?

There are SOOOO many different ways to take T1 & T2 at TWS (Texas World Speedway)... so you just need to find what works for you...

I will say, the later you wait to take T1, the smoother the transition the banking is.

Last edited by FireMalt; 06-22-2007 at 09:49 AM.
FireMalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2007, 09:43 AM   #8
houseofpaint
PM for BESTPRICE on parts

Feedback Rating: (7)

Bike(s):
2010 Yamaha R1 racebike
2012 GSXR750 Racebike
2003 DRZ125 semiflattracker

Member Garage

Send a message via AIM to houseofpaint
Quote:
Originally Posted by FireMalt
....I will say, the later you wait to take T1, the smoother the transition the banking is.
i agree

Custom Paint, Powdercoating, and Collision repair (Cars and bikes)[/b]
houseofpaint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2007, 09:50 AM   #9
BigComfy

Experience: 1-3 months

Bike(s):
SV1k (sold)
CRB6 Track Bike (sold)
Daytona 1200 (parted)
1st Gen FZ1 (sold)
1st Gen SV650 (sold)

Member Garage

I agree with Firemalt. You can take T1 pinned especially with the SV's.
Old 06-22-2007, 10:08 AM   #10
Moody
Holy Smokes!

Feedback Rating: (4)

Bike(s):

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireMalt
Start to turn in off the banking going into T1 at the #1 sign(there is a #3, #2, and #1 sign on the right on the wall). You can go ALOT faster than you can imagine into T1 cause you have SO much room to scrub off speed while waiting to turn into T2. No reason to take T1 tight...

After you hit the transition, grab 2 gears while the bike is semi-upright

Stay wide for T2 until the yellow paint strip ends(paint strip is about 15ft. from the edge of the right side of the track), and dive in!

Anybody else agree or disagree?

There are SOOOO many different ways to take T1 & T2 at TWS (Texas World Speedway)... so you just need to find what works for you...

I will say, the later you wait to take T1, the smoother the transition the banking is.
I agree, except I square of T1 almost as if pit out was the apex and head straight for the end of the yellow line. When you see the end of it turn in for 2. No reason to grab any gears down unless you need the extra RPMs for a pass. Otherwise I rail it in 6th. I used to grab a gear or 2 down to help me slow down but with the slipper clutch it doesn't help any so it is all brakes now. Hope that helps Mike... on your SV you definetly do not need to slow down going into 1 or 2. Talk with Mr.Anderson, Romeo or Brandon the next time you are out there. Those guys have alot of experience on the SV at TWS (Texas World Speedway).

PS - This is under preferable conditions. T1 is so wide you can take a number of lines through it to deal with traffic.

Open your eyes and reclaim the freedom you were born with. - Moody

Last edited by Moody; 06-22-2007 at 11:03 AM.
Moody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2007, 10:45 AM   #11
SVmike
nuthin'

Bike(s):
just a mtn bike now...

you guys jumped on that with a quickness. I'll be sure to check out those links. I'm not comfortable yet with going into turn 1 at wot. Definitely going to tape over the speedo this time b/c it freaks me out when i see how fast i'm going as i approach the turn. I don't even try to top out the bike b/c I know I'll get lost in t1 and 2.

The last time I was there Suzanne was my instructor. I followed her a few times but still couldn't find a ref. point. I think she mentioned that ylw stripe on the outside edge but I guess I forgot about it.

Thanks fellas
Old 06-22-2007, 11:09 AM   #12
dhdrider

Bike(s):
08 KTM 300 XC-W

To add to the discussion I guess it should also be mentioned that using Marcus McBain's map (roadracinghelp links above) as an absolute guide is difficult, especially during a track day. The "best" line through turn 1 has you well inside the yellow line, which means that if riders are coming on the track, which pretty much happens throughout an entire sesssion, you have to stay outside the yellow line for safey's sake... Staying wide through turn 1 (especially in groups 1 & 2 is one of the best places to pass people that are on bikes that are faster than you in the straight)...

Others agree w/ that?

2008 KTM 200 XC

Retail Resource Group
TORCS #301
TSCEC #1114
Old 06-22-2007, 11:10 AM   #13
Moody
Holy Smokes!

Bike(s):

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVmike
you guys jumped on that with a quickness. I'll be sure to check out those links. I'm not comfortable yet with going into turn 1 at wot. Definitely going to tape over the speedo this time b/c it freaks me out when i see how fast i'm going as i approach the turn. I don't even try to top out the bike b/c I know I'll get lost in t1 and 2.

The last time I was there Suzanne was my instructor. I followed her a few times but still couldn't find a ref. point. I think she mentioned that ylw stripe on the outside edge but I guess I forgot about it.

Thanks fellas
Well, you got one of the fastest SV riders out there helping you. What's the hold up?

Definetly tape over your speedo if you catch yourself looking down at it. I never do because I am more concerned about where I am going. You may not be looking down the track far enough as well. Get you eyes focussed on where you want to go. Especially coming down a straight like TWS (Texas World Speedway) you need to be looking down the track as far as you can. This changes the perspective of speed. I am not sure what kind of tires you are running but definetly work your way up to pace by letting it come to you so you can find the limitations of your current equipment with out putting it on the pavement.

PS - Just pit with us next time you are out there and we will slap you around as needed.

Old 06-22-2007, 11:14 AM   #14
Moody
Holy Smokes!

Bike(s):

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhdrider
To add to the discussion I guess it should also be mentioned that using Marcus McBain's map (roadracinghelp links above) as an absolute guide is difficult, especially during a track day. The "best" line through turn 1 has you well inside the yellow line, which means that if riders are coming on the track, which pretty much happens throughout an entire sesssion, you have to stay outside the yellow line for safey's sake... Staying wide through turn 1 (especially in groups 1 & 2 is one of the best places to pass people that are on bikes that are faster than you in the straight)...

Others agree w/ that?
I usually find my self coming up the inside of people in T1 in the B group. Most of the newer guys in that group seem to run way to wide in T1. It puts me right in front of the pack for my T2 turn in but there is alot of track there that can be used.

Old 06-22-2007, 11:16 AM   #15
dhdrider

Bike(s):
08 KTM 300 XC-W

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moody
I usually find my self coming up the inside of people in T1 in the B group. Most of the newer guys in that group seem to run way to wide in T1. It puts me right in front of the pack for my T2 turn in but there is alot of track there that can be used.
True. I guess it depends on the group that happens to form itself. Several times I've been there I've found riders hugging the yellow and I could just sweep around them on the outside. Also, due to some group rules, an outside pass in the turn is favored over an inside pass...

2008 KTM 200 XC

Retail Resource Group
TORCS #301
TSCEC #1114
Old 06-22-2007, 11:18 AM   #16
Moody
Holy Smokes!

Bike(s):

Quote:
True. I guess it depends on the group that happens to form itself. Several times I've been there I've found riders hugging the yellow and I could just sweep around them on the outside. Also, due to some group rules, an outside pass in the turn is favored over an inside pass...
Yeah, Ridesmart they want you going around the outside in Level 2. With the Lonestar B group they just want a clean pass and nothing to close.

Old 06-22-2007, 11:50 AM   #17
Capafool
QuePaso Racing

Experience: 7 years

Bike(s):
'01 Gixxer 1k (Track)
'10 Duc 848 (Street)
'05 Drz-110 (Tarded)

Send a message via AIM to Capafool Send a message via MSN to Capafool
Quote:
I think they're just slow

anyway, through T1 I normally start come in on the inside and drift out to get my bike as straight up as possible(Ive looked at my speedo at T1 several times and it reads on average about 110mph). I dont get on the brakes till the transition and I stay on the inside of the yellow line and turn into T2 about 6-8 feet from the end of the yellow line(This turn in depends on how fast you're going through there). I normally grab 2 downshifts.

With an SV you'll probably definitely move these markers around but you just need to find something and play around with it lap after lap.
CMRA Sprints #486
TMGP Endurance #46
"Scientists discover the world that exists; Engineers create the world that never was."
Capafool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2007, 12:29 PM   #18
1hander
1hand is enouph

Bike(s):
04 R1

Send a message via Yahoo to 1hander
woooohoooo good stuff

www.satxriders.com
1hander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2007, 01:00 PM   #19
FireMalt
Recovering track addict

Don't turn in for T1 until you think to yourself "If I don't turn in NOW, I'm not going to make it"... and then wait another second before turing in, you'll be amazed.

Same goes for the throttle... hold it until you say "SHITTTTTTT", hold it another second, and the release! Smoothly, of course
Old 06-22-2007, 01:09 PM   #20
Faylaricia
The Comtesse

Experience: 4 years
Trackdays: 3

Bike(s):
'02 Honda VFR800

I think in a survey on here, most folks said that T1 gives them issues or they don't feel comfy with it. I am one of them, but I am a noob on the track. It took me half a day to figure out how to get somewhat comfy and what I did is pick some of the masts that are way in the backgrouns of the track (by or behind the Nascar wall) when you come through T1. Once I see those masts, I start preparing for T2 because I know it is actually about to come up. :laughing6

Not sure if that helps because I really don't have much experience with TWS (Texas World Speedway) but it was a major mile stone for me.

Advertisement