MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > Taking it to the Track
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 05-30-2015, 09:17 AM   #1
Rykoson
Brawp Brawp!

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 1-3 months
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
www.shortfilmproductions.org
2009 YZF-R6-Rest in Peace
2011 ZX-6R Kawasaki Ninja-Track/Street

Member Garage

Halffast Racing Group Hallet Oklahoma May 15, 2015 Write up

Where to start….

As you know or maybe you didn’t, Halffast Group is a bunch or noobs….oh yeah we are… Even the best of us are the worst of us at times. I never would have thought that we would have gotten a 3rd place for the season at the 2nd round of the 6hr Lightweight Endurance in Hallet. …I know that our class is small, but it is one of the most competitive classes. From our understanding its the class that is suppose to line up with classes in MotoAmerica. Or that could just be rumor.

I learned that teamwork and being part owner of a bike is really hard work. Thanks to great team members like Logan, Andrew, and now Josh we were able to make this round.

Anyhow, after the last MSRH 2 Hr endurance round, we decided we needed to do our Jetting for the 250 Ninja. We also needed to replace the tail section due to some 12 o clock action. This season we are competing against 300 class bikes in our class and they really have a lot more on the straight. We decided to stay in this class and see where we place by the end of the season. We want to keep our HF Group bike E Superstock so we only want to make minimal mods so won’t really be competitive with some of the teams, however, you never know what can happen during a 6 hr race. We will not mod anything else because want to stay legal for the class in case we can go back to E Superstock next year.

We did decided to add a Dyno Jet kit to the carbs which is the only mod you can really do for HP…it really only helps the drive and throttle response… it still doesn’t make up for the pull of the 300 out on the field. We have no choice but to learn to catch them in the corners. To be clear we only have emulators and a gsxr shock in the rear nothing more… that means the bike is basically stock. We still need to add some geometry changes to the suspension and we should be good to go.

We still need to replace the master cylinder so we can stop faster and later. That's about all we have to do besides get more seat time. We have a lot of support and pointers from our great community. HPC has really been a great track presence to look up to and get credible info from. They guys always lend a hand when needed and are the about the best experienced guys around.

We also have a great resource from MotoHouston. We were able to pull resources together and get on the ball to help each other out. Thanks to Quan, Sherman and the Pandas, I found a ride to OK and a bed to crash in Asian Style.

We never really can thank these two communities enough, but in our book they are really ONE Moto community in Houston area. They both support our goal in getting new riders to the track, and specialize in what they each do. Go check them out if you haven’t.

If it wasn’t for this community I personally would have not met good mechanics like Chad (Magic Man) who was kind enough to offer us his knowledge of bikes and ended up getting way more than he realized. He offered to teach us about the bike and it turned out since we needed to do a proper sync to the Carbs, he recommended we do a valve adjustment. While we were in there about to add the shims for the valve adjustment which Logan provided, we noticed some scaring on the cams and crazy melting going on in the head…Needless to say we ended up going form a carb sync to an engine rebuild. We went all the way down to the piston rings on this one! It took some time because Chad as we know is usually booked up… and riding as much as he does, I am surprised he gets anything done.

I have to say that without people like Chad, who are willing to help, even thought they are spread thin, make this community great! Just like Jimrad, who will help you change tires, or guys like Joey Gutierrez, Kris Lillegard, Deano Sims, and Mark Shim who continue to help HALFFAST Group be successful, Sometimes it’s advice but all our opinions make up the whole community. In the end we all have to make an educated decision and just follow the majority or preference in riding.

During the waiting period getting the bike prepped and not knowing if it is going to be really stressful. With family, jobs, and other life's ills, we still try to meet our goals in racing. I find it really crazy that we put ourselves through such hard work to get the bikes ready, and the gear together for a successful weekend. I know if you race you will understand what it takes to get things ready to race a single day at the race track. I mean we are all kinda Kraze, don’t you think.

Thanks Logan and Barry at Speed Freak Decals we were able to get the bike looking good after my wheelie action at the last round. Logan became a fiber glass expert, and if you haven’t seen the start of the last race I recommend a quick watch. I promise it will be a good laugh.

All in all we ended up driving to Hallet the week of the race. Logan and Andrew left early to get the best spot on the track. We hadn’t tested the bike at all except down the street a few times 2 days before practice…Just like any team our nerves were on edge. I know I had my spells of frustration getting the bike right before the race and having to drive all the way to OK for a 6 hr race. We prayed the Motor held out and lasted.

We even had a scare of horrible weather even possible tornados. Crazy Jack once again came through with the good ol Bridgstones. He was able to swap tires for our team and even hooked it with a package deal during rain days. Switching between rains and dots and not knowing if it will stay wet enough was another dilemma…we didn’t have rims for the rains, and would have had to take the tires off mid race to get rains….Glad it didn’t rain…

I ended up starting the race again..I had to redeem myself from the last start…I was able to ride the first stint for about 1.5 hours strait. Hallet is a really fun track with good elevation changes and a mini bus stop. Great turns and a blast to ride. I was able to get us into 3rd place for our class.

Then Andrew took the pilot seat. With him sprinting and learning what speed you can carry in the corner on his 500, he really picked up his corner speed in this race. He ran consistent on his stint and held our 3rd place. As faster riders started to pit, he was able to secure 3rd for the entire stint and passed the bike over to Logan.
Logan really came into his own this race. He was able to keep us in 3rd place for his stint, and started dropping lap times. He even passed some fellow Houston riders but we won’t mention who you are… Logan is really going to be a contender at the end of the season. Both these guys keep picking up speed.

Next up was our new addition. We had fallen to 4th place about half of the race. So far this season we have been trying to save a spot for another Prov Nov, We still have one place left on the roster at this time, however we needed another rider. Crazy Jack, and Jack Polzin recommended Josh Simmons. These guys play up north all the time and helping HF Group up north is such an awesome feeling. We help promote each other and they have never let us down. This is a blessing in disguise! We knew Josh was fast, but boy oh boy did he really help our team step it up. All of a sudden we are instantly competitive Thanks for riding with us Josh, and hope you enjoy the season with us I hope have great results. See you at MSRC.

Four and a half hrs later we swapped riders again, and I went back out to keep us in a steady pace. Now we all of a sudden were able to secure a podium and did not expect to do so well. Team work truly paid off this weekend, and we came together. We learned so much about teamwork and how to get things in place. As the race was down to the last 45 min. Andrew and Logan as team captain decided to pit me and send Josh back out for a secure of 3rd place. We were only 3 laps down from 2nd. Hope you enjoy the pictures and results in the posts below.
So far we are not doing to bad we are 12 out of like 35 bikes overall. That’s 500cc bikes all the way down to 125s. We have MSRC next round and it’s going to be hot. Time to start training and getting used to this heat.

Special thanks to SongKran Thai Kitchen, we were able to make the furthest race of the Season. We even had a back up plan as SongKran helped pay for the back up rain tires that kept the rain away, and most of our expenses to get up there. They made this race possible. If you like Thai food, or have never experienced Thai food, I encourage you to check them out. They are in Uptown Park near the Galleria, and soon to be opening one in Sugar Land TX in Town Square! I promise it’s the best Thai you will ever have. Grab a drink there while your at it. We should be having a meet and greet @ Blu in Sugar Land TX before the next round so stay tuned…. will be displaying the local team bikes from the LW classes, some giveaways, and showing race footage on the big screens. There will be drink and food specials for the riders and friends of ours.

Thanks again to our Sponsors.

#SongKranThaiKitchen #hookit #axo #amsoil #vortexracing #protecsolutions #Crazyjackspowersports #sidi #guardian #speedfreakdecals #eqquickbooks #motohouston #halffastgrouphouston #kk47 #MagicMan

Results link

Round 2 Results and Sponsors. See 11th place, 3rd place in our Class.
http://www.cmraracing.com/content.ph...ults&tabid=120

Next Round Info for LW Endurance 6hr.-Check back early July for details to be posted.

http://www.cmraracing.com/content.ph...dule&tabid=118

Link to HF Teaser Video

Picture Story

http://s1252.photobucket.com/user/ry...K%202015/story
STREET SCHOLARS PRODUCTIONS-Hookit
Rykoson is offline   Reply With Quote