MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > Off Topic (everything else) > Off Topic
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 06-20-2007, 05:13 PM   #1
cyclesnoopy

Feedback Rating: (0)

Bike(s):
2009 ninja 650r

Send a message via Yahoo to cyclesnoopy
whats up with HPD?

It was on the front page of sundays Houston Chronicle and was also on tv that since january HPD officers have written thousands of tickets to people who have a bracket around thier license plate, such as the ones car dealers will put on thier cars when you buy it.

That is chicken if you ask me. One patrol officer wrote THIRTY in one day all by himself! Is the city THAT hard up for money? i cant imagine that these cops just took it upon themselves to start writing these tickets, they certainly were told to do so i would think.

I have one on my truck, put there by the dealer. People are getting $98 fines for something completely trivial that in most cases, they had nothing to do with it being there in the first place.
whats the best? PowerSurgeD Off Topic 8 02-13-2010 07:58 AM
Whats up Marksvs Motorcycles Unlimited 3 09-20-2008 05:06 PM
Whats new?? streetcowboy Off Topic 4 08-08-2008 02:57 PM
whats up with this??? houseofpaint Off Topic 14 07-19-2007 11:21 AM
whats everyone up to??? upononer6 Off Topic 33 07-22-2006 06:44 PM
Advertisement
Old 06-20-2007, 05:16 PM   #2
Mr. Unassailable
1-20-2013-Change we need

Feedback Rating: (6)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Member Garage

as long as it doesnt cover anything up its legal.

if it covers up any part of the TEXAS you are almost guaranteed a ticket.
Old 06-20-2007, 05:19 PM   #3
pester
Black olives matter

Feedback Rating: (12)

Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
2007 yamaha fz6
1998 yamaha wr 400 motard

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyclesnoopy
It was on the front page of sundays Houston Chronicle and was also on tv that since january HPD officers have written thousands of tickets to people who have a bracket around thier license plate, such as the ones car dealers will put on thier cars when you buy it.

That is chicken if you ask me. One patrol officer wrote THIRTY in one day all by himself! Is the city THAT hard up for money? i cant imagine that these cops just took it upon themselves to start writing these tickets, they certainly were told to do so i would think.

I have one on my truck, put there by the dealer. People are getting $98 fines for something completely trivial that in most cases, they had nothing to do with it being there in the first place.

news brake governor perry is about to sign a law to make that not illegal anymore

watch the news i saw it last night

later on u will be able to have it and no prob

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1sickGixxer View Post
nevermind ima bumbass and ill get my wife 2 do it 2nite.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyt915 View Post
I know enough Spanish to stick you with a knife cabron
pester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2007, 05:20 PM   #4
aznhero913
J.D.

Bike(s):
2009 CBR600rr
2005 R6 (bye baby)
1992 Yamaha Seca (1st one)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyclesnoopy

the guys who do that are gutless cops who are too scared to do any real cop work. I'm glad mr.white addressed that officers should have more important things to do then give tickets for that. I'm also glad that the mayor overturned the rule for the time(it isnt illegal anymore in houston) until the state passes the new bill which legalizes the plate borders.
Old 06-20-2007, 05:21 PM   #5
maskale

Feedback Rating: (3)

Experience: 4 years
Trackdays: 6

Bike(s):
2005 CBR600RR Trackbike
2007 Warrior Midnight

I got puller over one night a couple years ago, but did not get a ticket. What really ****ed up is that the Brazoria County court house in angleton has them for sale, when I asked about it the lady just shruged her shoulders.
maskale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2007, 05:39 PM   #6
jus10

Bike(s):
KX TooNifty

Quote:
Originally Posted by trdvet
Everyone writes them, it's legal to write them now because of the law but Sept.1 that is about to change. I wonder how many POS they got because of this "chicken " law. Take it off and show a picture to the judge and be on your way. Didn't the mayor's car have one? :laughing6
ya know...I like the way you think! You and Andre3000 are some very useful resources!!!
jus10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2007, 08:11 PM   #7
Crystalline
Can't ride now...

Experience: 2 years

Send a message via Yahoo to Crystalline
It doesn't even matter when you get that ticket especially if you have to go to Lubbock Court. Hpd has been giving out tickets like that since that law was passed in September of '05 (I think, where can't cover Texas). Every time I got a ticket for speeding they added that to my list of tickets and when I went to court I said it was off and they said, "O.k., dismissed".

I really don't know why they waste peoples time with it.
Old 06-20-2007, 10:35 PM   #8
flypunk
it doesn't matter

Feedback Rating: (1)

Trackdays: 3

well the thing is, that with the laws now a days we pretty much have prevented a cop from having an instinct or being able to pull you over unless he has an extremely obvious reason.

Some people might think this is good, some disagree. Not getting into this or taking sides - just giving an explanation.

This kinda law provides them with a reason to pull you over and check on other things that way the charges of your 8.0 alcohol level wont be dismmised just cuz you hadnt crashed or done something stupid first.

Lets face it most people and moan when they get pulled over just cuz they are checking out a hunch or something. Trust me I used to get pulled over for no reason whatsoever, and yes it was anoying, but they are doing their job and it only takes about 10 mins per time, its not that bad.

Most people complain and say that they shouldnt be able to pull you over unless you have commited an offense, but then they also complain when they can't do anything when the other car made you lowside and he is powerless cuz he didnt really hit you. Well you cant have it both ways.

The fact that they are using this law, for making money sucks... but then again you could just take the thing off.

like I said not taking sides but the first day that this became illegal, and it mightve been as far as 04, I went out of the bar and took it off my car. Yes I'm not a saint, but I also in favour of not getting pulled over in the first place.

Knowing that it became a law (and it only get to do this cuz we allowed it) why fight it at the individual level, just take the dang thing off and its done no worries no money off your pocket.
flypunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2007, 11:07 PM   #9
andre3k
I see dead people...

The old law was vague in how an "obscured" plate was defined, it was originally designed to prevent people fron adding devices that covered the plate that prevented detection from red light cameras.

Due to the language, the unintended consequence was the license plate bracket tickets. Mayor White didn't have anything to do with changing this law, it was done by the last legislative session.
andre3k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2007, 12:08 PM   #10
IndyRC
Mutant

Feedback Rating: (2)

Experience: 4-8 months

Bike(s):
None

I recently got a ticket for this . When the cop wrote the ticket he said take it off, take a pic, and the judge will dismiss it. Then why write the ticket? HOWEVER, what really sucked is when I went to court with the pics, the judge said he wasn't interested in it and that I would have to plead not guilty and go to trial to get it dismissed!!! WTF?!?! I said screw it and paid the fine.
IndyRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2007, 12:29 PM   #11
cashtown
Lawyers Guns and Money

Bike(s):
'05 Hayabusa '98 ZX-6E

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyRC
I recently got a ticket for this . When the cop wrote the ticket he said take it off, take a pic, and the judge will dismiss it. Then why write the ticket? HOWEVER, what really sucked is when I went to court with the pics, the judge said he wasn't interested in it and that I would have to plead not guilty and go to trial to get it dismissed!!! WTF?!?! I said screw it and paid the fine.

Were you dressed for court?

I've seen it make a huge difference in the leniency a judge will have if you're wearing a tie and dress pants instead of shorts and a T-shirt

EDIT: Oh and not meaning to imply that you were underdressed, but I know I've gotten off of some stuff just because everybody else in court looked really shabby. I know that at least some judges appreciate that you take their court sriously.

Fat Freddy says, "Busas are for posing!"

Last edited by cashtown; 06-29-2007 at 12:31 PM.
cashtown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2007, 01:59 PM   #12
IndyRC
Mutant

Feedback Rating: (2)

Experience: 4-8 months

Bike(s):
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashtown

I've seen it make a huge difference in the leniency a judge will have if you're wearing a tie and dress pants instead of shorts and a T-shirt

EDIT: Oh and not meaning to imply that you were underdressed, but I know I've gotten off of some stuff just because everybody else in court looked really shabby. I know that at least some judges appreciate that you take their court sriously.
Yes I was. I was wearing a nice button up shirt and dress pants. I thought that might help too because everyone else in there was dressed like a slob, including a chic with a shirt that said "BITE ME" on it. Oh well.
IndyRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2007, 05:20 PM   #13
pester
Black olives matter

Feedback Rating: (12)

Bike(s):
2007 yamaha fz6
1998 yamaha wr 400 motard

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashtown

i know is true but,, thats another load of , is not their court, that is where they perform their job
those guys gotta get a grip lol is even funny

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1sickGixxer View Post
nevermind ima bumbass and ill get my wife 2 do it 2nite.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyt915 View Post
I know enough Spanish to stick you with a knife cabron
pester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2007, 05:22 PM   #14
glw12581

Experience: 4 years

Bike(s):
2009 GSXR-1K
2008 R1(SOLD)
07' Triumph Daytona 675(SOLD)

They tagged me with a ticket so i went to court and only had to pay court fees. this was a month before they voted to change the law a few weeks ago. its bs anyways
glw12581 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2007, 09:56 PM   #15
MagnaMan
Peg Scraper

Bike(s):
99 Honda Magna

I was told this law originated because of the sniper shootings on the East Coast a while back. Remember those two guys that were killing random civilians? The authorities had several leads on plates but the due to license plate frames they were unable to identify the states of origin which took longer for them to run. It seems in today's modern age we still don't have good data sharing among states. So rather than put money into that they'd rather write tickets for covering up part of the plate. And I'm sure the ticket revenue does not go toward data integration.

The law is supposed to be that the frame can not cover up any of the identifying artwork of the plate. That's pretty broad and they had a big announcement about it about a year ago on the news. I took all my plate covers off after that.

I do believe that Harris County in particular is ticket revenue driven rather than law enforcement driven.
Old 06-30-2007, 10:07 AM   #16
MadseasoN

This particular case was the reason for the license plate 'frame' law.

United States vs Gilbert Granado
http://caselaw.lp.findlaw.com/data2/...h/0151007p.pdf

Cliff notes:
Cop saw a minivan without a front license plate so he turned around to stop him. Minivan had license plate frame that partially blocked the state name. He stopped the van thinking that it was a Texas plate. As he walked up to the vehicle he could see that it was a Coahuila (Mexican State) plate. He proceeded with the stop anyway and ended up searching the van finding Meth and Cocaine. Guy goes to jail then appeals because cop had no probable cause to stop him since front license plate isn't required in Coahuila. Lawmaker gets then writes a bill which eventually gets passed.
MadseasoN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2007, 10:20 AM   #17
Rick H.I.C.
Got Surf? Snow? Track?

Feedback Rating: (3)

Bike(s):
03' 600RR, 05' CR125, 88'NSR 250

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Unassailable
as long as it doesnt cover anything up its legal.

if it covers up any part of the TEXAS you are almost guaranteed a ticket.

With all the punks running these days it obstructs quicker tracking. Can't see what state don't know where to look. Blame the punks. Not the system that can't shoot a punk for running.

Advertisement