MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > Technical > Performance and Modifications
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 05-20-2015, 07:35 PM   #21
El Pachuco

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
Kawasaki ZRX 1200R

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverBullet View Post
I never hesitate to admit I'm wrong when I am. But in ths case I am not. Read what he says above. His top speed is the same in both 4th and 5th gear. Do you think Suzuki put identical gears for both? Of course not but he can wind out 4th gear to net same top speed because when he puts it into 5th the little engine cant pull the higher gearing. So by slightly dropping the gearing the engine can rev out and overcome the higher gear and increased wind resitance. Theoretical top speed is not the same as actual top speed for under powered bikes. Go read any thread on the Honda CRF250L. Well known and documented that dropping down a tooth on front sprocket from 14 to 13 nets more top speed, every time.

Just trying to help the guy out with a solution so don't discourage him by claiming something you dont know about and that is not true.

tucknoloji just trust me and drop your front sprocket by one tooth and report back here please. Your top speed will increase, guaranteed just cannot say exactly how much. Will cost you all of $15 to try and easily reversable.

_
I've been riding bikes for 36 years and have played with gearing on more than a few. I speak from experience. You're wrong.
El Pachuco is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Upgrade 1308cc General Discussion (Moto Related) 13 10-16-2011 07:30 PM
my upgrade wesleh General Discussion (Moto Related) 20 10-06-2011 06:48 PM
Perfect woman, perfect attitude..... bunxx Off Topic 33 02-20-2009 07:44 PM
The Perfect Man and the Perfect Woman Stacy Off Topic 10 01-16-2009 03:29 PM
What to upgrade first? Timme' Taking it to the Track 57 07-15-2008 12:41 PM
Advertisement
Old 05-20-2015, 09:50 PM   #22
SilverBullet

Feedback Rating: (2)

Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
2013 Yamaha Super Tenere
2011 Husqvarna TE630
2003 KTM 200EXC
2002 KTM 300EXC
1974 Suzuki TM400

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Pachuco View Post
I've been riding bikes for 36 years and have played with gearing on more than a few. I speak from experience. You're wrong.
Ha ha ha I've been riding for 44 years so I got you there also. How many 5-10 hp bikes have you owned? My guess is you're an engineer and hung up on gear ratios and their corresponding theoretical speed. Sounds opposite what I suggest but practical application trumps theory every time.

_
SilverBullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2015, 10:35 PM   #23
tucknoloji

Quote:
Ha ha ha I've been riding for 44 years so I got you there also. How many 5-10 hp bikes have you owned? My guess is you're an engineer and hung up on gear ratios and their corresponding theoretical speed. Sounds opposite what I suggest but practical application trumps theory every time.

_
Well guys... Leme go back to stock... And then leme add one teeth at front... Will share the result...

Will keep the rejeting and will keep the intake free flow... Will update u...

Theoretically... If we reduce one teeth from the front... Pickup will increase and reduce top speed by 6-7% and torque will be high... And theories cant b false unless u done some test to nullify it...

Is there anything like "No Rev Limiter" ???
tucknoloji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015, 03:16 AM   #24
El Pachuco

Bike(s):
Kawasaki ZRX 1200R

Quote:

_
Okay, you got me on age, Dad. And i have only owned maybe 3 bikes in that HP range.
Your guess of my being an engineer couldn't be more wrong. I'm a high school drop out that works construction. well, maintenance for the last 5 years but I'm no engineer, that's for sure. I come from the school of hard knox.
and I'm no fan of theory either. I also use practical application over theory which is why I say you're wrong.

Now let me ask you a couple of questions.
1) why are you telling me to read articles on 250's when the bike in question is a 150?
2) if his bike currently tops out at the same speed in both 4th and 5th gears and that speed is 110 Kph, what do you think his 4th gear top speed will be after he drops one tooth from the front sprocket and what do you think his 5th gear top speed will be?

I'll share my prediction. After dropping a tooth from the front sprocket his 4th gear top speed will be somewhere around 100 kph and his 5th gear top speed will be 110 kph.
Old 05-21-2015, 03:27 AM   #25
El Pachuco

Bike(s):
Kawasaki ZRX 1200R

Quote:
Originally Posted by tucknoloji View Post
Well guys... Leme go back to stock... And then leme add one teeth at front... Will share the result...

Will keep the rejeting and will keep the intake free flow... Will update u...

Theoretically... If we reduce one teeth from the front... Pickup will increase and reduce top speed by 6-7% and torque will be high... And theories cant b false unless u done some test to nullify it...

Is there anything like "No Rev Limiter" ???
if you go back to the stock 43T rear sprocket and drop one tooth from the stock front it will increase torque and pick up. It will reach top speed quicker but the top speed will remain the same at 110 kph, but with a higher RPM.

Please do let us know your results.
Old 05-21-2015, 03:45 AM   #26
tucknoloji

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Pachuco View Post
if you go back to the stock 43T rear sprocket and drop one tooth from the stock front it will increase torque and pick up. It will reach top speed quicker but the top speed will remain the same at 110 kph, but with a higher RPM.

Please do let us know your results.
Okayy.. Now i will bring two front sprockets... One with one tooth drop and other with one tooth increase... Will share the result...
tucknoloji is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisement