MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > Taking it to the Track
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 05-15-2015, 07:24 PM   #1
rz500guy

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
Yamaha RZ 500
Suzuki 1200 BanditS
RD 350
1990 Yamaha FZR 400

Pirelle SC

Installing the Supercorsa with SC2 compounds on my RZ. Went with a 190/55 on the rear. Have 8 3/4 inch of tire on the Pro and 9 3/8 inch on the SC. Sound like more tire on the track. Guess the chicken strips will show up again. they are soft. Does anyone know what temps I need to keep in them to work well. Have the Superbike Pros and ran COTA last June and by the time I was in the pit and on the stands I read 155 rear 140 front with a core temp gauge. Have ran 4 track days on the pros and still look good. The Pros sure stop well and expect even more from the SCs. Checked with a profile gauge and both tires are almost identical. I would probably push a little harder with these because I heard the Pros did not stick well under hard acceleration. I have dual temp warmers.

Last edited by rz500guy; 05-15-2015 at 07:27 PM.
rz500guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Finding someone Spartanburg SC or Charlotte NC HoustonHD Off Topic 1 09-19-2015 08:09 PM
Exit Poll in SC, too far? Jae The Circus 1 11-09-2014 04:01 AM
Shooting at Cycle Gear in Charleston SC txmedic1 Off Topic 9 07-03-2013 01:23 PM
triumph sc replica witchdoctor575 General Discussion (Moto Related) 14 02-25-2009 04:54 PM
SC'ed Buell Greenway Smokey General Discussion (Moto Related) 26 01-03-2008 11:23 AM
Advertisement
Old 05-16-2015, 11:27 AM   #2
pinball
I got slow

Experience: 4 years
Trackdays: 2

Big dirt bike (sold)
2003 Honda Sabre (sold)

http://www.pirelli.com/tyre/ww/en/mo...rcorsa_sc.html

Click on the technical advice tab. Probably as good a starting point as anything.
pinball is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked this post:
Old 05-16-2015, 10:46 PM   #3
ArkansasDave

Experience: 2 years

Bike(s):
2010 CRF450R
2014 Honda Grom
2015 KTM 250xc

Quote:
Originally Posted by rz500guy View Post
Installing the Supercorsa with SC2 compounds on my RZ. Went with a 190/55 on the rear. Have 8 3/4 inch of tire on the Pro and 9 3/8 inch on the SC. Sound like more tire on the track. Guess the chicken strips will show up again. they are soft. Does anyone know what temps I need to keep in them to work well. Have the Superbike Pros and ran COTA last June and by the time I was in the pit and on the stands I read 155 rear 140 front with a core temp gauge. Have ran 4 track days on the pros and still look good. The Pros sure stop well and expect even more from the SCs. Checked with a profile gauge and both tires are almost identical. I would probably push a little harder with these because I heard the Pros did not stick well under hard acceleration. I have dual temp warmers.
My warmers get the tires to 170 degrees F, hot off the track pressures are usually 1 psi higher than the pressure on the warmers so I'd say in the 170-200 degrees is a good temp.

That being said I wouldn't worry about the temp(exact number) of the tires as a lvl 1 rider. Set your pressures on the warmers to what they should be then look at the tire to see if you need more or less pressure.
ArkansasDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2015, 01:17 AM   #4
pinball
I got slow

Big dirt bike (sold)
2003 Honda Sabre (sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArkansasDave View Post
My warmers get the tires to 170 degrees F, hot off the track pressures are usually 1 psi higher than the pressure on the warmers so I'd say in the 170-200 degrees is a good temp.

That being said I wouldn't worry about the temp(exact number) of the tires as a lvl 1 rider. Set your pressures on the warmers to what they should be then look at the tire to see if you need more or less pressure.
Da fuq? You serious about him being a level 1 rider? My answer probably would have been similar to yours if I had known, but for some reason I want to be an now. Probably has something to do with the fact that he hasn't responded to his own post.
Old 05-17-2015, 06:32 AM   #5
ArkansasDave

Bike(s):
2010 CRF450R
2014 Honda Grom
2015 KTM 250xc

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinball View Post
Da fuq? You serious about him being a level 1 rider? My answer probably would have been similar to yours if I had known, but for some reason I want to be an now. Probably has something to do with the fact that he hasn't responded to his own post.
Yes he rides in level 1 but based off watching his videos he could probably bump up to level 2.
Old 05-17-2015, 08:33 AM   #6
Tojo92
AKA Mongo

Feedback Rating: (7)

Bike(s):
1994 Ducati 900 SS/SP
2003 Honda CRF450R motard
2002 Husqvarna NOX
2001 KTM Duke II

Quote:
I ran Pros for a track season or two on my ZX-10R, a bike that makes adequate power under acceleration. At 265 lbs with that adequate HP, I am very hard on tires.

The Pro's can easily last you all season and they should be more than adequate. You are not anywhere the limit of the Pros not "sticking" well under acceleration. If they aren't sticking for you, it's because you aren't keeping heat in them. A "better" tire won't help. I am not slamming you or your abilities in ANY way, shape, or form. I am basing this off you riding level group and temps you stated that you read off track. Temps should be higher if you are riding 'hard". I could be wrong, I'm not John Hutchison and I did not sleep at a Holiday Inn last night.

Many people miss the fact that they could actually be better off using a "lower level" tire such as a really good, aggressive street class tire and get better feel for their pace.

I've seen a level 2 rider show up on slicks that could not for the life of him, figure out why he was having issues...it was in part due to the 35 psi he was running (!!!!!) and later (after that was corrected) the fact we wasn't keeping ANY heat in the tires.

Most of this need for "the best tire" is bad information from the bench racers (track day riders really) that explain how you need to work on your BP, and run the best tires you can buy......all as they circulate in Level 1/2 at commuter pace.

We have all given that same bad advice and all followed it. It's part of the progression as we all pick up our speeds.

I'd suggest you ask John and have an honest conversation with him as to what tire and what pressures would be best for you AND your current pace.
CMRA#665 (neighbor of the beast)
The Problem - Endurance

Last edited by Tojo92; 05-17-2015 at 08:36 AM.
Tojo92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked this post:
Old 05-17-2015, 08:42 AM   #7
Tojo92
AKA Mongo

Bike(s):
1994 Ducati 900 SS/SP
2002 Husqvarna NOX
2001 KTM Duke II

I tried to edit and it was too late. I meant to say the Pro's should last MOST of a season for you. Maybe not ALL season. My experience point to the Pro lasting MUCH longer than I expected.
The Problem - Endurance
Old 05-17-2015, 01:42 PM   #8
rz500guy

Bike(s):
Yamaha RZ 500
Suzuki 1200 BanditS
RD 350
1990 Yamaha FZR 400

Thanks for the input. Not on forum much except when I feel I have a reasonable question. Which video was OK for L2? Lone Star group told me that in 2012, I did, and highsided. We think it was bad rebound, 3 seconds to come up in back. Had it rebuilt fine now. Just reading too much stuff on internet about tires. Possibly run a faster pace, but after high side at TWS (Texas World Speedway) and recently clipped in March by one of the rental bikes at COTA I have a mental block slowing me down

The SCs were the available tire when I picked my forks up. My concern is, bike powerful enough and am I aggressive enough to keep the tires hot to work well. Ran Michelin 2CTs before incident at TWS (Texas World Speedway) and was running 165 degrees on them in summer. I am getting a set of the SPs for street riding and was thinking of those as track tire. Spoke with Pirelli people at Orion racing and he use to own a 500 and he said the SC should be fine at the size also. L1 on Saturday and L2 (Slower) on Sunday in June. I just want the safest, stickiest tire available for me. I buy good gear, so why not tires. Thanks again.
Old 05-17-2015, 02:33 PM   #9
pinball
I got slow

Big dirt bike (sold)
2003 Honda Sabre (sold)

At a Lvl 1 or entry Lvl 2 pace, you'd probably be better off on street tires until you build your confidence back up.
Liked this post:
Old 05-17-2015, 03:04 PM   #10
Tojo92
AKA Mongo

Bike(s):
1994 Ducati 900 SS/SP
2002 Husqvarna NOX
2001 KTM Duke II

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinball View Post
At a Lvl 1 or entry Lvl 2 pace, you'd probably be better off on street tires until you build your confidence back up.
Yep.
The Problem - Endurance
Old 05-17-2015, 11:08 PM   #11
rz500guy

Bike(s):
Yamaha RZ 500
Suzuki 1200 BanditS
RD 350
1990 Yamaha FZR 400

Thanks guys. Will have a sit down with John about the two tires
Liked this post:
Old 05-18-2015, 06:17 AM   #12
Classax
Objective Observer

Experience: 8 years

Bike(s):
2014 1190RX

2013 Ninja 300
2012 636 (sold)
2012 Diavel (sold)

Member Garage

I made the transition to lvl 2 at TWS (Texas World Speedway) last weekend and ran consistent 2:16's in traffic and 2:11's with clear track. I run Dunlop Q3's without warmers. 30 front /28 rear and they get plenty warm enough in less than a lap. The stuck just fine, even in the wet. I have a buddy who runs DOT race rubber, warmers and checks his tire temps with some sort of gun. He is still in lvl 1 and he's been at this way longer than me.

I feel like at the lvl1/2 pace the DOT race, slicks, and tire warmers are all nice to haves but the money is better spent on more seat time until we can run solid lvl 3 times. Seems to me, some lvl 2 guys are doing what the lvl 3 guys do but because that's what the fast guys do, but much like me are nowhere near the pace to warrant it. I don't imagine we are going quick enough to keep heat in that kind of track only rubber, which reduces grip instead of improving it. LVL 1 and 2 should be fine on street tires until your pace is quick enough to where we are looking to move to lvl 3. Just my opinion but I'm still a noob so take it for what its worth... which is not much.
Classax is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked this post:
Old 05-18-2015, 07:23 AM   #13
pinball
I got slow

Big dirt bike (sold)
2003 Honda Sabre (sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Classax View Post
I don't imagine we are going quick enough to keep heat in that kind of track only rubber, which reduces grip instead of improving it.
This should seem like a no-brainer, but sometimes people just don't realize how important braking and acceleration are to keeping heat in the tires, and a Lvl 1 pace just doesn't have enough of either.
Old 05-18-2015, 09:58 AM   #14
rz500guy

Bike(s):
Yamaha RZ 500
Suzuki 1200 BanditS
RD 350
1990 Yamaha FZR 400

That was my concern. When I have the SPs installed will talk with John. Next time I am at the track For knowledge sake I am going to go around paddock to check tire temps on other bikes in other levels as well as horsepower levels. I use an insert probe to check core temperature not the infrared gun. That only reads surface temps. Should of waited and just ordered the SPs.
Old 05-18-2015, 10:28 AM   #15
ArkansasDave

Bike(s):
2010 CRF450R
2014 Honda Grom
2015 KTM 250xc

Quote:
That was my concern. When I have the SPs installed will talk with John. Next time I am at the track For knowledge sake I am going to go around paddock to check tire temps on other bikes in other levels as well as horsepower levels. I use an insert probe to check core temperature not the infrared gun. That only reads surface temps. Should of waited and just ordered the SPs.
That would be kinda weird to have you come up to me with a probe and ask if you can check my temp. If I'm there then feel free to come by and check it out. I'd be interested to see what the temps are.

Honestly having a number for how hot your tire is, is completely worthless. It won't help you or give you any information that looking at the tire and the feeling of it wont tell you.
Old 05-18-2015, 11:19 AM   #16
Classax
Objective Observer

Experience: 8 years

Bike(s):
2014 1190RX

2013 Ninja 300
2012 636 (sold)
2012 Diavel (sold)

Member Garage

Quote:
Next time I am at the track For knowledge sake I am going to go around paddock to check tire temps on other bikes in other levels as well as horsepower levels. I use an insert probe to check core temperature not the infrared gun. That only reads surface temps.
I'm a little lost. Sounds like a fine experiment but getting the average temps is going to be all over the place and how do you set upper and lower control limits. A guy who is haul mailing but never hardly uses the brakes due to his high corner speed could be running the exact same times as a guy who brakes really hard. The latter guy's front tire will be hotter than the Mr. Corner speed. Likewise someone who late apexes in point and shoot style will have a hotter rear than someone who is more an long arc type style. People with lots of mid corner corrections will also heat and cool their tires quicker than some one who sets and forgets. The rate at which they build heat will be dependent not just upon their pace, but on their style and that's not even accounting for any variance their starting tire pressures on carcass flex which will also have a huge individual impact on final temps as well. Additionally the exhaust on some bikes have the cat situated close to the rear tire so heat from it also warms the rear so those bikes' rear tire stay warmer longer in the pits much like an S1000RR.

Wouldn't it be easier to just ride incrementally harder until you felt the tires starting to squirm and slip or saw unusual wear patterns as an indicator you were overheating them and thus ready for better rubber?
Classax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2015, 11:48 AM   #17
pinball
I got slow

Big dirt bike (sold)
2003 Honda Sabre (sold)

Quote:
Just my opinion but I'm still a noob so take it for what its worth... which is not much.
Quote:
I'm a little lost. Sounds like a fine experiment but getting the average temps is going to be all over the place and how do you set upper and lower control limits. A guy who is haul mailing but never hardly uses the brakes due to his high corner speed could be running the exact same times as a guy who brakes really hard. The latter guy's front tire will be hotter than the Mr. Corner speed. Likewise someone who late apexes in point and shoot style will have a hotter rear than someone who is more an long arc type style. People with lots of mid corner corrections will also heat and cool their tires quicker than some one who sets and forgets. The rate at which they build heat will be dependent not just upon their pace, but on their style and that's not even accounting for any variance their starting tire pressures on carcass flex which will also have a huge individual impact on final temps as well. Additionally the exhaust on some bikes have the cat situated close to the rear tire so heat from it also warms the rear so those bikes' rear tire stay warmer longer in the pits much like an S1000RR.

Wouldn't it be easier to just ride incrementally harder until you felt the tires starting to squirm and slip or saw unusual wear patterns as an indicator you were overheating them and thus ready for better rubber?

Old 05-18-2015, 06:12 PM   #18
rz500guy

Bike(s):
Yamaha RZ 500
Suzuki 1200 BanditS
RD 350
1990 Yamaha FZR 400

Done, thanks for all the input. Was going to check temps on the group I park with. There is a lot that goes into tires and how well they work. I just thought people would know more about what their tire temps were. Just my OCD. Will just pay attention to pressures, keep both sets, and swap out if the second day is hot and sunny.
Old 05-18-2015, 07:34 PM   #19
ArkansasDave

Bike(s):
2010 CRF450R
2014 Honda Grom
2015 KTM 250xc

You are over thinking it. Are you an engineer by chance?

Advertisement