MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 05-04-2015, 09:52 AM   #1
bdmpastx
The Cripple

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
2009 Nissan GTR - sold
2015 Nissan GTR

Exclamation 10 Year Anniversary

Just as MotoHouston celebrates its 10 year anniversary, I too am celebrating as well. Not so much the event itself but the survival of it. For those of you that know, it has been a long hard road to where I am currently at in my life. For those that don't here's how the last 10 years have taken shape.

May 6th, 2005 - Hit by a car head on in St. Paul, Arkansas while riding with the Texas Sportbike Association. Severe trauma, Paralyzed, and several internal injuries that would continue to plague me the rest of my life

June 26, 2005 - Married my wife, my advocate, my love while in the hospital.

September 22, 2005 - Major surgery on my arm to repair damage that has not healed. Including 2 plates and 19 screws. I was then kicked out of the hospital because of mandatory evacuations from Hurricane Rita. I was released without any pain meds because my blood pressure was too low. I rode in the bed of a truck to Giddings, TX for 14 hours and never had the amount of pain I experienced on that trip. It was so painful it caused me to vomit several times.

December 5, 2005 - January 11th, 2006 Rehabilitation. It was a very tough time. I managed to push through and give it my all. My short term disability was coming to an end so I was either going to need to go on long term and take a 20% pay cut or get my back to work.

January 16th, 2006 - I returned to work right out of rehab. Talk about a hard day! I still could not drive although I had 2 cars. I had to wait until I could get the hand controls installed and get my training using them.

First of February, 2006 - I was picked up to get my drivers training with hand controls. It took all of 2 days total.

Some other notable issues where I don't recall the dates:
I was deathly sick, could not eat, I was running a fever etc. and it turns out that my gallbladder had failed due to the amount of blood transfusions that had taken place. I ended up in the hospital again.

Several Urinary Track infections that hospitalized me 2-3x a year. I cannot tell I get them until the infection starts affecting my whole body, driving my fever upwards of 103. Let's just say it's not fun.

September 2010 - My intestines took a hard hit in the accident. So it has caused me a ton of issues. I have an ostomy as a result. The ostomy hole is a hole in my abdominal wall. This creates another issue. The abdominal wall holds in your internal organs. Mine had eroded near my ostomy and it needed surgery. So I had surgery to repair the abdominal wall. Little did I know what this was going to set in motion. I was placed in ICU to recover for 3 days and in a medically induced coma. During this time, I was not turned like I was supposed to be. I ended up getting a bed sore on my . More on that later.

November 2010 - On the way back from SEMA in Las Vegas, I started getting extremely sick. Not knowing what was happening and spiking a 105 fever, I ended up in the hospital once again. This time it was really bad. I was leaving the CT Scan area when the technician ran past me as I was returning to my room. On the way past, I could hear the tech telling the Drs. that I needed emergency surgery. Turns out that the abdominal wall repair was infected and has started spreading to my entire body. My organs were shutting down and I was septic. Almost before I could get back in my room, they swooped in to rush me off to surgery at 3am.

December 2010 - After Several complications, my bed sore continued to grow. I needed surgery to remove the infected tissue. It refused to heal up. I had a huge hole in my but that required care daily. It was a nightmare. I had surgery that left me a fist sized hole on my . It required a vacuum wound dressing and a pump to help pull the infection from my bone by now.

January 2011 - I had Twins! But not without some depressing news to proceed it with. My wife went in for a typical checkup and they hospitalized her. She was having blood pressure issues and needed to be monitored in the hospital full time. Saturday morning rolls around and I am about to get out of the shower when my mother in law tells me we have to get to the hospital now. I said I am going as fast as I can. She says that they lost one of the babies. There was no heartbeats on the monitor and they were taking her in to get the other one out before it died. My heart sank so hard and deep that you cannot fathom. I rushed out of there and got dressed and drove a GTR faster than you have probably ever seen on the street. Surprised my father-in-law didn't need blood pressure medication after that ride.

So we got to the hospital everyone around was all in tears. It was hard to hold it together. After planning 2 beds, 2 rooms, 2 everything, we were only going to be bringing 1 home. It was bitter sweet. Here we are happy and sad all at the same time. It was super hard. We went into the surgical room where they were taking the babies out. They took out the first one and it was our baby boy Brody. He was alive and breathing. We were in shock, we assumed it was him that was not alive because he was lower. Then a minute later, they pulled Bentley out and she was alive! It was a freaking miracle! They were both alive and one of the happiest moments one could ever ask for. The Dr. was blown away. Never in his 53 years of doing this had he ever seen anything like that. I saw the ultrasound myself and the heart was not beating and the little valves were not moving. So for them both to be perfectly fine, it was amazing.

April 2011 - After several post operation visits on my abdominal wall, I asked my Drs. about repairing my abdominal wall again. They almost flat out refused. Noting that it almost killed me last time. They suggested that I live with the deformity unless they have to go into there for more work due to a bowel obstruction or twisted bowel. Little did I know that was going to happen 2 weeks later. I ended up back in the ER with a super high fever once again, my belly was red under the skin and I was sick as a dog. Septic once again. Turns out I had another twisted bowel and herniated intestine with a double blockage. 2-3am Surgery all over again. This time they left me with a mini basket ball sized hole in my gut. It stayed that way for a month until they could do a skin graft from my leg.

During all this time, I was also battling the ever increasingly trouble called a bed sore. You may not think a bed sore is much of an issue but Christopher Reeve died from just that. I was going to the hospital 2 times a week for 3 years and it still was not closed. So for New Years 2013, I had my last surgery on the trouble area. During this time, I could not get up out of bed for 16 weeks. I could not sit up, I could not leave this special bed. I ended up in a nursing home during this recovery time. It was a dark, depressing time for me. I missed the first 2 birthdays from being in the hospital. I rarely had any visitors, etc. During this time, my friend had found out that his daughter had Leukemia.

I made it through that troubling spell and remained out of the hospitals until last year. In June, I ended up back in the hospital completely dehydrated even though I was drinking water like crazy. It didn't make sense until they checked my blood sugar. Turns out, it went insanely high and my body reacts too slow to compensate for it. I now needed insulin and was considered diabetic. Turns out that people with spinal cord injuries are commonly diagnosed as diabetic due to a paralyzed pancreas that cannot keep up. That really depressed me to hear. It was just another issue to deal with. I felt like this accident is slowly killing me. And in a way it is.

Then just last week, I got out of the hospital again after another week stay. It was another bowel obstruction. Lucky for me this time, they refused to put me under the knife. They used some other techniques and managed to get me moving again.

All in all, this has been a long hard road. I lost most of my close friends since my accident. That was really difficult. The people I used to ride with don't really talk to me, a few do but most don't. I try to stay connected on MotoHouston because I still care about riding even though I no longer can. I still have people on here I feel close to. I will never forget Chris (Solracer) reaching out to me on H-I and telling me to join the site when it was just in it's infancy. Just as Houston Sportbike Network went down. I am glad to see that it is still here after all these years. I have met some new people and had a lot of fun driving my car. Not to mention out driving some of them! lol. (cough MaxGs - Curt). In fact quite a few bikes have been put to shame on occasion. You guys and this community have helped me through the tough times and given me something to laugh about.

So Thank you to everyone in this community.

If you want to know more about the accident, here's a link to my page and a few other links: (Sorry I need to update my website)
http://www.bdmpastx.com

Link to the accident threads:
http://www.motohouston.com/forums/sh...ccident&page=2

http://www.cycleforums.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=169371

http://www.twtex.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3770
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
10th year anniversary bdmpastx Off Topic 23 09-20-2013 12:57 PM
2 year anniversary for not smoking NorthHoustonGSXR Off Topic 17 05-05-2009 01:07 PM
my 1 year Anniversary... Gimpin2Fold Off Topic 18 11-13-2006 09:56 PM
10 YEAR ANNIVERSARY - Today 6/08/06 Swift E Off Topic 32 06-16-2006 07:56 PM
Advertisement
Old 05-04-2015, 10:13 AM   #2
RACER X
what R you lookin' at?

Feedback Rating: (26)

Trackdays: 8

Bike(s):
'14 Honda GROM! 181cc of fury!!
'10 Aprilia Tuono Factory-SOLD
'08 Busa - sold
A few more bought
A few more sold

Stay strong brutha!
Trump/Zimmerman 2016
Make America Great Again!
RACER X is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2015, 10:16 AM   #3
Repth
Keyboard Warrior

Experience: 2 years
Trackdays: 2

Bike(s):
'14 Street Triple R

Man, I don't even know what to say after reading that. I'm sorry for all your troubles, but I'm so happy that you're still kickin' it with us here at MH! I hope I have the honor of getting my kicked by that GTR one day, lol.
Old 05-04-2015, 10:22 AM   #4
bluewave18
Safety Third

Bike(s):
08 Busa
03 XR 50

I couldnt imagine
bluewave18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2015, 10:23 AM   #5
pigfarmer
Banned

Bike(s):
Salsa Horsethief
Paugcho bobber

User is banned

pigfarmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2015, 10:34 AM   #6
WarrenW

Trackdays: 4

Bike(s):
95 RF 900 - Dead and Gone
96 ZX-11 - Blown up (Should have done the oil mod)
95 GSXR 750 - long gone
92 VFR 750 - Wrecked by "good friend"

Brian you are an inspiration to many. I tell your story to my kids from time to time when they think that life is hard right now. One of my favorite days was just you and me riding from Conroe to Navisota on a whim. You called me out of the blue just looking for someone to ride with that day.
I actually learned alot just following you.
I for one am glad you hang around here. Just keep staying strong and take it one day at a time.
WarrenW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2015, 11:06 AM   #7
Repth
Keyboard Warrior

Experience: 2 years
Trackdays: 2

Bike(s):
'14 Street Triple R

On the car forum I frequent, one of the guys posts a joke every day. His joke today was fairly topical.

Quote:
A sweet grandmother telephoned St. Joseph's Hospital. She timidly asked, "Is it possible to speak to someone who can tell me how a patient is doing?"

The operator said, "I'll be glad to help, dear. What's the name and room number of the patient?"

The grandmother in her weak, tremulous voice said, Norma Findlay, Room 302."

The operator replied, "Let me put you on hold while I check with the nurse's station for that room."

After a few minutes, the operator returned to the phone and said, "I have good news. Her nurse just told me that Norma is doing well. Her
blood pressure is fine; her blood work just came back normal and her Physician, Dr. Cohen, has scheduled her to be discharged tomorrow."

The grandmother said, "Thank you. That's wonderful. I was so worried. bless you for the good news."

The operator replied, "You're more than welcome. Is Norma your daughter?"

The grandmother said, "No, I'm Norma Findlay in Room 302. No one tells me ."
Liked this post:
Old 05-04-2015, 11:26 AM   #8
bdmpastx
The Cripple

Bike(s):
2009 Nissan GTR - sold
2015 Nissan GTR

When I was in ICU for 1.5 months, it was just like that^^^
Old 05-04-2015, 12:14 PM   #9
J.J. McQuade
DORC MEMBER

Experience: 4 years

Bike(s):
2008 Ducati Multi-Strada 1100S
1993 Ducati 900SS (Designated Sweeper)
Acura NSX-T Type R

Member Garage

The picture on your website of your then girlfriend and now wife got me kind of chocked up! It made me think about my wife and if I was in that same hospital bed she would be there with me the entire way! As much as this is a true survival story, it is an even better love story! Thank she got off the bike when she did! It would kill me if something happened to wife while she is a passenger, and that is why she has never and will ever be a passenger on any of my bikes! I couldn't live with myself!
Old 05-04-2015, 12:37 PM   #10
bumblebee
Yeah I'm flippin' YOU off

Feedback Rating: (3)

Bike(s):
'74 Suzuki GT380
'82 XS650 StreetTracker
'10 Ducati Streetfighter
'83 Yamaha Seca 900

I've never met you but I've read your posts and know your history. It sucks how hard this has all been but you're a strong and I'm glad your with us.
Hang in there and enjoy the good stuff when it comes. Thanks for providing some perspective.
Bevo- "I lack skillz"
bumblebee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2015, 12:42 PM   #11
houseofpaint
PM for BESTPRICE on parts

Feedback Rating: (7)

Bike(s):
2010 Yamaha R1 racebike
2012 GSXR750 Racebike
2003 DRZ125 semiflattracker

Member Garage

Send a message via AIM to houseofpaint
Thanks for sharing Brian. Your story could move mountains. I'll send a knee mail to the man upstairs for you and your family!

Custom Paint, Powdercoating, and Collision repair (Cars and bikes)[/b]
houseofpaint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2015, 12:51 PM   #12
Nastynesto85
Richard Serdown

Experience: 9 years
Trackdays: 3

Bike(s):
Dual sport 14 ninja zx6r
06 cbr 600rr (sold)
05 cbr 600rr (sold)
04 Ducati ss800 (sold)
02 gsxr 600 (sold)

I got towed behind the gtr and got left behind , your a good guy and a dam good driver . I always enjoy the company when we meet up. Your a strong and have a lot to be proud of on the half of your wife and kids . Until the next time we meet up ... Be safe brother and I'll be seeing you soon

If it's got or tires , it's going to cost you
Nastynesto85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2015, 02:58 PM   #13
arturo3rd
OG Sheriff/ Boss

Bike(s):
2015 HD Forty Eight

Was thinking of you the other day. Glad you're still fighting and winning!
Old 05-04-2015, 03:59 PM   #14
nwall1

Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
2008 aprilia shiver 750
2002 cr250 (sold)
2003 rc51 (sold)

Wow what a hard time. Very happy to see your still keeping strong
nwall1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2015, 04:34 PM   #15
bdmpastx
The Cripple

Bike(s):
2009 Nissan GTR - sold
2015 Nissan GTR

The HSN group that did a ride back then.
DSCN0164
Old 05-04-2015, 05:11 PM   #16
ninenine
cmra expert

Bike(s):
2015yzf-r6 A-bike
2012yzf-r6 B-bike

Respect
CMRA#99
WERA#99
Sponsors:HoPD,P1 Racing,SCRC,Pirelli,Arai,BD Racing,Vesrah,Vortex,VP Race Fuels,Optimal Racing,Motul
ninenine is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked this post:
Old 05-04-2015, 07:43 PM   #17
HMFIC

Bike(s):
08 Super Duke R
08 YZ450F
Santa Cruz Blur 4x
09 YZ250F

Youre a strong person with a good attitude!!!
Old 05-04-2015, 08:19 PM   #18
magzx12r

Feedback Rating: (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdmpastx View Post
The HSN group that did a ride back then.
DSCN0164
I recognize a few of those faces. I guess I missed that ride.
Old 05-04-2015, 10:19 PM   #19
SBK Pilot
non playa hatar

Feedback Rating: (1)

Bike(s):
:: 05 GSXR 750 ::

:: 07 GSXR 1K ::
:: 11 ZUMA 125 ::
stop listing what u sold here - nobody cares...

When I took the worst toss of my life, your strength is what I measured myself against.

You have no idea how much I respect you man.

Always glad you're with us.
Old 05-05-2015, 12:07 AM   #20
poranksta

Experience: 1 year

Bike(s):
2004 R6

Thank you for sharing your story. Everyone finds themselves in a dark part of life eventually, and I think that being able to hear other people's stories is the best cure.