MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > Taking it to the Track
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 04-27-2015, 04:41 PM   #21
Rod
Near Miss Racing Team #96

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
R3 2015
TS185 74
EX250R 2010 "A" race bike
EX250R 2008 "B" race bike
150cc Rocketta Scooter "the "

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArkansasDave View Post
You need a single digit white number plate before those wheels will doing anything for you. $3000 in seat time is a better mod.
Hey Dave, you are jumping the gun! I'm only answering your question as far as what Bike, so I'm given you an example not saying I'm buying it...

On the other hand you sound a bit jealous thinking that by any chance if I could afford that bike or the wheels, it wouldn't be doing me any good? Isn't what money is for? To be spent? So all those guys buying a brand new R1M is a wast of money and they should put their money on seat time to learn how to ride besides buying a brand new bike?
Right now I have a sponsor asking me to wait and not spend my money on a brand new RC390 CUP ($9,999.00) because they want to purchase for me to be able to write off some money...
What ever your point is all I can see is jealousy...
CMRA#672
Rod is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
forum etiquette question pumpkinHED General Discussion (Moto Related) 29 12-19-2013 05:23 AM
Street Riding etiquette nilnwahs General Discussion (Moto Related) 38 06-07-2013 11:12 AM
Social Etiquette Grinchy Off Topic 54 04-03-2009 05:22 PM
Track Etiquette [poser] Taking it to the Track 49 06-21-2008 04:29 PM
Highway Etiquette cdill35 General Discussion (Moto Related) 5 04-06-2008 09:48 PM
Advertisement
Old 04-27-2015, 04:43 PM   #22
Jclark

Bike(s):
2015 Ducati 1299S
2009 Buell 1125CR
2013 Triumph 675R (Track)

Quote:
Btw 08+ r6's are 96% the exact same bike. Just keep that in mind.
Absolutely. I'm familiar with the platform. Hard to find a clean, low mileage 4-7 year old R6 though. If you have a lead on one I'm all ears.

In reference to my original post. After some reading I guess I'm just going to expect the worst and hope for the best.
Jclark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2015, 04:52 PM   #23
jimrad
Moderate pace forever .

Trackdays: 7

That's why most people also choose to have a dedicated track beater
Old 04-27-2015, 05:09 PM   #24
BuckNut
Banned

Experience: 1-3 months
Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
Huffy
None
None
None

User is banned

BuckNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2015, 05:27 PM   #25
ArkansasDave

Experience: 2 years

Bike(s):
2010 CRF450R
2014 Honda Grom
2015 KTM 250xc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rod View Post
Hey Dave, you are jumping the gun! I'm only answering your question as far as what Bike, so I'm given you an example not saying I'm buying it...

On the other hand you sound a bit jealous thinking that by any chance if I could afford that bike or the wheels, it wouldn't be doing me any good? Isn't what money is for? To be spent? So all those guys buying a brand new R1M is a wast of money and they should put their money on seat time to learn how to ride besides buying a brand new bike?
Right now I have a sponsor asking me to wait and not spend my money on a brand new RC390 CUP ($9,999.00) because they want to purchase for me to be able to write off some money...
I'm trying to help new comers realize that they don't need $3k on wheels to be fast. Just like you don't need a new r1m to be fast.

I'm not sure what I have to be jealous of(except someone buying you a ktm, which I just found out about. Though I'll be sad to see you leave the ESSE class). I have a killer r6 that will take me as fast as I can go, I doubt if cleland let me ride his r6 I would go any faster. Which is my point, you don't need a $12k bike to go fast especially when starting out. There are plenty of bikes that will take him as fast as he can ride them and have money left over to pay for track time and tires. You and I both know racing is expensive so why start off with an overly expensive bike.
ArkansasDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2015, 05:33 PM   #26
ArkansasDave

Bike(s):
2010 CRF450R
2014 Honda Grom
2015 KTM 250xc

Not sure about cleanliness but worth $6k checking out.

http://www.cmraracing.com/showthread...ost-new-Engine

WERA classifieds might be a worth a look as well.
Old 04-27-2015, 09:14 PM   #27
tiatool
Pro Racer Mode Enabled

Feedback Rating: (14)

Bike(s):
08 Raven
05 Vstar 1100

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jclark View Post

I've been down twice at the track. I'm not "planning" on crashing but I understand it comes with the territory. I'm not the naive novice who believes they'll never crash. Not saying I'm going to set the world on fire but after watching some novice CMRA races on youtube it seems like guys are all over the place half the time. I have great health/life insurance but I'm not sure why this is relevant.
You are concerned about insuring your 12k track bike and when I remind you to insure the one thing on the bike that is IRREPLACEABLE (you) you ask why that would be relevant? Think about it.
Old 04-27-2015, 09:34 PM   #28
Jclark

Bike(s):
2015 Ducati 1299S
2009 Buell 1125CR

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiatool View Post
You are concerned about insuring your 12k track bike and when I remind you to insure the one thing on the bike that is IRREPLACEABLE (you) you ask why that would be relevant? Think about it.
When did I ever say I was concerned with insurance on my track bike? I specifically said I didn't want this to be an insurance thread. I have no want to insure a track bike.

I didn't see why the inquiry about my health/life insurance was relevant because it had nothing to do with the thread.
Old 04-27-2015, 10:03 PM   #29
tiatool
Pro Racer Mode Enabled

Feedback Rating: (14)

Bike(s):
08 Raven
05 Vstar 1100

Quote:
When did I ever say I was concerned with insurance on my track bike? I specifically said I didn't want this to be an insurance thread. I have no want to insure a track bike.

I didn't see why the inquiry about my health/life insurance was relevant because it had nothing to do with the thread.
Oh ok. I see. I was way out of line. My apologies. Lol

To answer your question no one is going to pay if you wreck or if they wreck you.

Including your medical bills.

Last edited by tiatool; 04-27-2015 at 10:06 PM.
tiatool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2015, 09:39 AM   #30
cdill35

Feedback Rating: (5)

Bike(s):
2014 Phoenix 921 Pro XP w/ Merc 250 ProXS
11 Yam Zuma 125
Specialized Stumpy

You can always just start a gofundme account if someone takes you out. Seems to be the new trend.
cdill35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked this post:
Old 04-28-2015, 10:54 AM   #31
Jclark

Bike(s):
2015 Ducati 1299S
2009 Buell 1125CR

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdill35 View Post
You can always just start a gofundme account if someone takes you out. Seems to be the new trend.
This has serious potential. I know the understanding motohouston community would definitely help out.

"I was hit by a newbie at the track in a t-bone accident. Luckily because u always wear proper gear, I sustained minor injuries, but my bike was destroyed. It was my only track bike and despite having multiple street bikes, can't afford another. I could really use the help and would greatly appreciate it! Thank you for your time and consideration!"
Old 04-28-2015, 11:37 AM   #32
Chubby Racer
The Confusion

Feedback Rating: (2)

Experience: 8 years

Bike(s):
'07 R6
'02 KLX110(tarded)

Send a message via ICQ to Chubby Racer Send a message via AIM to Chubby Racer Send a message via MSN to Chubby Racer Send a message via Yahoo to Chubby Racer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rod View Post

Certainly an interesting overreaction.
A motorcycle is a joy machine. It's a machine of wonders, a metal bird, a motorized prosthetic. It's light and dark and shiny and dirty and warm and cold lapping over each other; it's a conduit of grace, it's a catalyst for bonding the gritty and the holy.

CMRA #302
Chubby Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2015, 11:38 AM   #33
Solracer
MotoHouston.com Owner.

Feedback Rating: (9)

Bike(s):
2006 YZF600R (Street)
2009 Iron 883

Member Garage

Quote:
This has serious potential. I know the understanding motohouston community would definitely help out.

"I was hit by a newbie at the track in a t-bone accident. Luckily because u always wear proper gear, I sustained minor injuries, but my bike was destroyed. It was my only track bike and despite having multiple street bikes, can't afford another. I could really use the help and would greatly appreciate it! Thank you for your time and consideration!"
Old 04-28-2015, 11:50 AM   #34
wiayeman
TOONTOON BLACKNWHITEARMY

Bike(s):
99 SV650 (race)x2
79 XS650
08 EX250R (race)
14 MSX125
88 YSR (race)

JClark. It depends entirely on the situation, and the circumstances. At the end of the day, you're at the track. Legality aside, it is up to you.

Oh, and you are spending waaaaaay too much on a track/race bike. Just my $.02
CMRA#645
Purple Helmets Endurance Team
wiayeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2015, 11:56 AM   #35
wiayeman
TOONTOON BLACKNWHITEARMY

Bike(s):
99 SV650 (race)x2
79 XS650
08 EX250R (race)
14 MSX125
88 YSR (race)

Quote:
This is what I'm expecting. I should have made my initial question more clear. How often do guys do right when they know they were clearly in the wrong?

My next track bike is a newer model R6 turn key track package. I understand everyone's budget is different. If I hit a guy at COTA and caused him to wad up his Pani that he had $40k invested in, I probably wouldn't be able to cover it.

I've been down twice at the track. I'm not "planning" on crashing but I understand it comes with the territory. I'm not the naive novice who believes they'll never crash. [I]Not saying I'm going to set the world on fire but after watching some novice CMRA races on youtube it seems like guys are all over the place half the time.[/I] I have great health/life insurance but I'm not sure why this is relevant.
Underlined the interesting part of your quote. Let us know when you get your PROVNOV shirt. Should be fun to watch
CMRA#645
Purple Helmets Endurance Team
wiayeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked this post:
Old 04-28-2015, 12:01 PM   #36
ArkansasDave

Bike(s):
2010 CRF450R
2014 Honda Grom
2015 KTM 250xc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chubby Racer View Post
Certainly an interesting overreaction.
Especially because I thought he and I were friends. I didn't think I had said anything offensive either.
Old 04-28-2015, 12:22 PM   #37
Jclark

Bike(s):
2015 Ducati 1299S
2009 Buell 1125CR

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiayeman View Post
Underlined the interesting part of your quote. Let us know when you get your PROVNOV shirt. Should be fun to watch
I was trying not to sound arrogant. You might have misinterpreted it a bit. When I finally do get a chance to take the school and get a yellow shirt, I'm sure I'll be slow and unimpressive. Developing race strategy is certainly different than doing a track day. My priority will be consistecy and not being erratic with my lines. I probably focus on this the most at the track because I believe it is a fundamental skill that comes before speed.

Obviously, without having ever participated in an actual race, I'm talking out of my here. If anyone feels like my logic is twisted, let me know.

I'm listening when the majority thinks I'm spending too much. If this was my first track bike, I would agree. If I were to buy it, it's money that I'm comfortable with losing. However, I have taken a step back and will be looking at cheaper options due to the posts here. I figured my first year racing would cost roughly $800-$1000 per month all in (gas, tires, entry fees etc). If I'm way off base with this figure I would appreciate feedback on that as well.
Old 04-28-2015, 12:32 PM   #38
Jclark

Bike(s):
2015 Ducati 1299S
2009 Buell 1125CR

Quote:
Especially because I thought he and I were friends. I didn't think I had said anything offensive either.
I thought you were fine Dave, although I thought your reasoning was somewhat off.

We don't know each other's situations. What one guy is comfortable spending on a track bike might be completely different than the next. I agree with your statement that I don't need $3k wheels or a new R1M to be fast.

Again, I put consistency over speed at this point, but what harm could be done in buying the better bike to begin with if it's in the cards? Especially if I know I have to live with this being my track bike for the next 4-5 years?
Old 04-28-2015, 12:41 PM   #39
Chubby Racer
The Confusion

Feedback Rating: (2)

Experience: 8 years

Bike(s):
'07 R6
'02 KLX110(tarded)

Send a message via ICQ to Chubby Racer Send a message via AIM to Chubby Racer Send a message via MSN to Chubby Racer Send a message via Yahoo to Chubby Racer
Quote:

Again, I put consistency over speed at this point, but what harm could be done in buying the better bike to begin with if it's in the cards?

The classical argument is that the new R1 has a whole host of electronic and mechanical nannies and that you don't learn to "really ride" because of them. The quicker I get...the less I'm convinced that this is the case.
A motorcycle is a joy machine. It's a machine of wonders, a metal bird, a motorized prosthetic. It's light and dark and shiny and dirty and warm and cold lapping over each other; it's a conduit of grace, it's a catalyst for bonding the gritty and the holy.

CMRA #302
Chubby Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2015, 12:56 PM   #40
Jclark

Bike(s):
2015 Ducati 1299S
2009 Buell 1125CR

My new 1299S has all kinds of crazy electronic wizardry. There are guys on the Duc boards that think these will work as band-aids for their riding flaws. They're just rider aids IMO. I honestly wouldn't want 80% of it on my track bike.

Advertisement