MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > Taking it to the Track
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 04-27-2015, 11:10 AM   #1
Jclark

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
2015 Ducati 1299S
2009 Buell 1125CR
2013 Triumph 675R (Track)

Crashing at the Track Etiquette

Quick question for the more experienced guys.

I was discussing this with another person earlier and it got me thinking. You're at the track and another person crashes into you. It is without a doubt 100% his fault. He acknowledges this. Is it proper etiquette to offer monetary compensation or is the general consensus don't bring it if you're not willing to lose it?

Does your opinion change in a race setting vs. track day?

I will admit that I caused a crash my first track day (this was some time ago) and I was overly embarrassed and apologetic. Luckily, the damage was minimal and we were both able rode back to the pits. The guy was really upset and came over to chew my as soon as we got back. I already decided on the ride back I was going to pay for his damages and he changed his tune quick. I looked at his bike and got a rough idea of what needed to be fixed. Told him to email me when he got a list together and I'll take care of it. A few days later he sent a more than reasonable list with cost. It was about 1/3 what I was expecting. I sent funds and felt a little better.

I'm about to sink $12k+ in a track bike and hopefully race next year now that I have more experience. I was just wondering how common this was. I'd hate to lose it because of someone else but I can understand the "you took the risk" point of view.
Jclark is online now   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
forum etiquette question pumpkinHED General Discussion (Moto Related) 29 12-19-2013 05:23 AM
Street Riding etiquette nilnwahs General Discussion (Moto Related) 38 06-07-2013 11:12 AM
Social Etiquette Grinchy Off Topic 54 04-03-2009 05:22 PM
Track Etiquette [poser] Taking it to the Track 49 06-21-2008 04:29 PM
Highway Etiquette cdill35 General Discussion (Moto Related) 5 04-06-2008 09:48 PM
Advertisement
Old 04-27-2015, 11:20 AM   #2
dbuck
Stayin' Young

Feedback Rating: (5)

Bike(s):
02 Honda Superhawk

Send a message via AIM to dbuck
while your response is the one "we" (responsible adults) all favor, know for 100% certainty, not everyone is as "honest" when on track incidents occur. If I had a 12k bike on the track, I'd certainly have coverage for it, but do know if you are "racing"...most companies will have a clause exempting that from your policy. good luck!
dbuck is online now   Reply With Quote
Liked this post:
Old 04-27-2015, 11:24 AM   #3
Jclark

Bike(s):
2015 Ducati 1299S
2009 Buell 1125CR

Insurance on a track only bike never even crossed my mind. I guess I just assumed it was an automatic no go.

After re-reading my post I should have mentioned one thing. I would never walk up to someone and demand they pay for damages they caused. I understand I have no ground to stand on in such case.
Old 04-27-2015, 11:25 AM   #4
Repth
Keyboard Warrior

Experience: 2 years
Trackdays: 2

Bike(s):
'14 Street Triple R

If I recall correctly, might wanna ask J E Hurst about this...

Edit: http://www.motohouston.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=295287

Last edited by Repth; 04-27-2015 at 11:28 AM.
Repth is online now   Reply With Quote
Liked this post:
Old 04-27-2015, 11:30 AM   #5
Jclark

Bike(s):
2015 Ducati 1299S
2009 Buell 1125CR

I recall that thread and that was beyond f'd up. That guy was nuts.

ETA: Not to mention that could set a precedence and really ruin track days for the rest of us.
Old 04-27-2015, 12:01 PM   #6
Crossfits
Crossfits

Quote:
Originally Posted by Repth View Post
If I recall correctly, might wanna ask J E Hurst about this...

Edit: http://www.motohouston.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=295287
That sucks..
Old 04-27-2015, 01:01 PM   #7
Jae
Kilted Basterd

Feedback Rating: (9)

Experience: 9 years

Bike(s):
Naked Sprint
Russian POS
Angry Max/Tub
Pile o' Hyosungs

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jclark View Post
Insurance on a track only bike never even crossed my mind. I guess I just assumed it was an automatic no go.

After re-reading my post I should have mentioned one thing. I would never walk up to someone and demand they pay for damages they caused. I understand I have no ground to stand on in such case.
I seem to recall after talking to an agent with Progressive (and this certainly might not apply to any other company) that insurance would cover a vehicle being used on a closed course for training purposes (read: track day), but not one being used in competition. Certainly talk to an agent with your company of choice, but it sounds like there's a good chance to get even a track-only bike covered so long as you're not using it in competition.
Jae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2015, 01:07 PM   #8
switch
two fifty

Experience: 4 years

don't bring it if you're not willing to trash it. it comes with the territory. if you swap paint with someone at a race, and you, or they go down...as the saying goes 'rubbing is racing'.

or get a track only bike, of which i have one for sale.
CMRA #250
"Me? I stand for uncertainty, insecurity, bad taste, fun, and things that go boom in the night."
switch is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked this post:
Old 04-27-2015, 01:14 PM   #9
Jclark

Bike(s):
2015 Ducati 1299S
2009 Buell 1125CR

I'd have to wonder what rates would be. Then there's the fact that they're not going to cover aftermarket parts. I'm only speculating this after an insurance claim a friend of mine made on a high dollar car when they wouldn't replace anything except with OEM.

On top of that, I'm already paying insurance on two street bikes. I appreciate the input but I didn't want this to be an insurance thread. I bought a 05 600 because I knew I was going to go down learning. I'm not interesting in paying a deductible every time I do.
Old 04-27-2015, 01:19 PM   #10
Repth
Keyboard Warrior

Trackdays: 2

Bike(s):
'14 Street Triple R

FWIW the insurance will pay the cost of the stock parts (most also have "accessory" coverage as well) and you're free to do whatever you want with that money.
Old 04-27-2015, 01:20 PM   #11
tiatool
Pro Racer Mode Enabled

Feedback Rating: (14)

Bike(s):
08 Raven
05 Vstar 1100

So the next question is: do you have health insurance, life insurance or something like aflac? You are already planning on crashing.
Old 04-27-2015, 01:21 PM   #12
ArkansasDave

Bike(s):
2010 CRF450R
2014 Honda Grom
2015 KTM 250xc

What track bike are you getting that's $12k?

Expect that if anyone causes you to crash that they won't pay you anything. If they do then it's a nice surprise. My friend was an instructor and got plowed over by another instructor and both the instructor and the track day org didn't want to pay up for anything.
ArkansasDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked this post:
Old 04-27-2015, 01:23 PM   #13
Jclark

Bike(s):
2015 Ducati 1299S
2009 Buell 1125CR

Quote:
Originally Posted by switch View Post
don't bring it if you're not willing to trash it. it comes with the territory. if you swap paint with someone at a race, and you, or they go down...as the saying goes 'rubbing is racing'.

or get a track only bike, of which i have one for sale.
You're missing the point. I'm not talking about a legit mishap. One for instance is going into a corner and getting t-boned/rear ended out of nowhere and everyone knows that it was 100% the other guys fault including himself. Or a lvl 1 hero that decides to stuff me on a tight corner for no reason.

I'm all about track only bikes. I have one but have another in mind to upgrade to.

This is also why I asked if you all changed opinion in a race vs track day setting. I'm already thinking call it a loss if racing. But what if I'm taking it easy and working on my line in a level 2 track day?
Old 04-27-2015, 01:27 PM   #14
Rod
Near Miss Racing Team #96

Bike(s):
R3 2015
TS185 74
EX250R 2010 "A" race bike
EX250R 2008 "B" race bike
150cc Rocketta Scooter "the "

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArkansasDave View Post
something like this one...
http://www.motohouston.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=309783

Just the wheels are over $3000... Carrozzeria Forge Wheels
CMRA#672
Rod is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked this post:
Old 04-27-2015, 01:33 PM   #15
Jclark

Bike(s):
2015 Ducati 1299S
2009 Buell 1125CR

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArkansasDave View Post

Expect that if anyone causes you to crash that they won't pay you anything. If they do then it's a nice surprise. My friend was an instructor and got plowed over by another instructor and both the instructor and the track day org didn't want to pay up for anything.
This is what I'm expecting. I should have made my initial question more clear. How often do guys do right when they know they were clearly in the wrong?

My next track bike is a newer model R6 turn key track package. I understand everyone's budget is different. If I hit a guy at COTA and caused him to wad up his Pani that he had $40k invested in, I probably wouldn't be able to cover it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiatool View Post
So the next question is: do you have health insurance, life insurance or something like aflac? You are already planning on crashing.
I've been down twice at the track. I'm not "planning" on crashing but I understand it comes with the territory. I'm not the naive novice who believes they'll never crash. Not saying I'm going to set the world on fire but after watching some novice CMRA races on youtube it seems like guys are all over the place half the time. I have great health/life insurance but I'm not sure why this is relevant.
Old 04-27-2015, 01:55 PM   #16
Solracer
MotoHouston.com Owner.

Feedback Rating: (9)

Bike(s):
2006 YZF600R (Street)
2009 Iron 883

Member Garage

I honestly feel that no matter WHAT happens at the track, STAYS at the track. This is truly the only way we can keep having fun out there.

If I get hit by some guy who is riding over his head, well I knew that could happen going out there. Same goes for ME making a mistake. It happens.
Old 04-27-2015, 03:38 PM   #17
thebujster

Great question. I wouldn't expect anyone to pay for my damages if they cause my accident. I would be , but again we all signed the waiver.

With that in mind, if I was 100% at fault, I would feel so guilty, I would try my best to try to reimburse him fairly. Clearly if his bike is a 40k bike, I couldn't afford to pay him back, but I would try to help in some manner.

Racing is a bit different as it can be cutthroat. But trackdays are just about fun. Everyone should keep it easy bc there's no winners at the end of the day.
thebujster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2015, 03:51 PM   #18
ArkansasDave

Bike(s):
2010 CRF450R
2014 Honda Grom
2015 KTM 250xc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rod View Post
something like this one...
http://www.motohouston.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=309783

Just the wheels are over $3000... Carrozzeria Forge Wheels
You need a single digit white number plate before those wheels will doing anything for you. $3000 in seat time is a better mod.

OP that better be a seriously amazing r6 if it's $12k+, I got mine fully modded besides an engine build for $7k(didn't want a built) . Eric Williams bike that took him to earning a single digit number sold for $10k and came with all sorts of extras(wheels stands etc.)
Liked this post:
Old 04-27-2015, 04:05 PM   #19
Jclark

Bike(s):
2015 Ducati 1299S
2009 Buell 1125CR

I'm with you Dave. The one I'm looking at is a 2013 and pretty loaded. I'm a firm believer in spending money for tires and coaching over mods that I wouldn't see the benefit from (like those wheels). I got more out of a 1 on 1 with Ty Howard than I ever would have if I had spent that money on the bike.

Truth be told I'm quitting my current job and will be making roughly half the money I am now by next year. Because of this I wanted to get something that I won't need to upgrade for a very long time. Buy once, cry once and all that.
Old 04-27-2015, 04:28 PM   #20
ArkansasDave

Bike(s):
2010 CRF450R
2014 Honda Grom
2015 KTM 250xc

Btw 08+ r6's are 96% the exact same bike. Just keep that in mind.
Liked this post:

Advertisement